Jump to content


Photo

Montezemolo: Alonso not desirable at Ferrari


  • Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#351 Ligier26

Ligier26
  • Member

  • 256 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:30

Originally posted by SlateGray


Alonso is no pretender and he kicked Schumacher off his throne directly into retirement what with Mr Parker running in fear that he would lose to Alonso three years in a row. You see Schumacher had no taste for a third consecutive whipping from the master so he did the only thing open to save him from this potentially legacy crushing eventuality He ran away.


SlateGray, you are embarrassing yourself again... is this honestly, in your heart of hearts, what you believe happened? Do you believe that the moon landings were faked too? Have you ever been abducted by aliens?

By the way, who the hell is Mr Parker?

Advertisement

#352 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:39

Originally posted by Ligier26


True, but you make it sound as if driving the Renault in '05 and '06 was a disadvantage and he had to out-perform a fundamentally weaker car to win his two WDCs... in fact, the Michelin-shod Renault with amazing launch control was the car to have, certainly in '05 and probably in '06. So the best driver in the best car won the title... business as usual then.


If the Renault was the car to have why did Alonsos team mate struggle even for podiums? Your claim doesnt make sense. A genuine car to have is something like the 2006 and 2007 Ferrari where even Massa can dominate the field.

#353 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:42

Originally posted by airwise

FWIW, Schumacher dominated in the best cars for years because not only was he the fastest driver of his generation, but (more importantly) he was able to galvanise a group of individuals into continuing to devote their lives for the purpose of giving him a winning car. He was so much more than the No.1 driver to the employees of Ferrari, and remains so a decade on. That's what's going to be required by any pretender to MS's throne.


Didnt that happen at Renault in 05/06 or are you suggesting Alonso beat Kimi and Schumacher in a scattered team lacking unity and morale? An even greater acheivment.

Originally posted by airwise

It's blatently obvious that the self serving little Spaniard doesn't have those qualities - that his lack of loyalty throughout his career has made him unpopular with both ex team bosses and pit lane personel.


If that was true why did his ex boss hire him back for a record sum of money? It seems you are talking utter rubbish. Renault couldnt wait to have him back. A record sum of money.

#354 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:49

Originally posted by Spunout


So, if Räikkönen wins 2 WDC´s out of 2...that´s not enough. He must win easily. Right :drunk:


Considering his only real opposition will be Massa then of course he must dominate. Even you know Massa is nothing special.

Originally posted by Spunout


Are you suggesting the strongest all-around driver needs #1 status and lots of group hugs to "do the job"? How come Alonso is never supported, anyway? He is the best of the best, after all.

How come we don´t hear say, Räikkönen complaining about "lack of support"?


Alonso has never had no1 status but hes been allowed to chose his own stategies and do things his way. We dont see Kimi saying it to the media but that doesnt mean he doesnt say it. If he doesnt then thats a weakness because he doesnt care and just goes with the flow. He doesnt try to make things happen.

#355 eoin

eoin
  • Member

  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 13:06

Originally posted by mowaru


You mean Monaco ?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

a little bit delusional I think ...


Seems you have some memory problems, i would get it looked into.

#356 Ligier26

Ligier26
  • Member

  • 256 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 13:29

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


If the Renault was the car to have why did Alonsos team mate struggle even for podiums? Your claim doesnt make sense. A genuine car to have is something like the 2006 and 2007 Ferrari where even Massa can dominate the field.

I don't dispute that Alonso out-performed a below-par Fisichella at Renault in 2005-06, but it's over-stating the case to claim that Fisi 'struggled even for podiums'. In 2005 he won the first race of the season (Australia) from pole, followed later in the season by two more podiums and two more front row starts; In 2006 he won the Malaysian GP from pole, followed by four more podiums and four more front row starts.

#357 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 13:30

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


Considering his only real opposition will be Massa then of course he must dominate. Even you know Massa is nothing special.


"Only real opposition"...how can that be? Ferrari was supposed to go down after they lost Schumacher´s team leader and car developing skills?

Alonso has never had no1 status but hes been allowed to chose his own stategies and do things his way. We dont see Kimi saying it to the media but that doesnt mean he doesnt say it. If he doesnt then thats a weakness because he doesnt care and just goes with the flow. He doesnt try to make things happen.


Right :lol:

#358 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 13:54

Originally posted by Ligier26

I don't dispute that Alonso out-performed a below-par Fisichella at Renault in 2005-06, but it's over-stating the case to claim that Fisi 'struggled even for podiums'. In 2005 he won the first race of the season (Australia) from pole, followed later in the season by two more podiums and two more front row starts; In 2006 he won the Malaysian GP from pole, followed by four more podiums and four more front row starts.


Just saying Fisichella was 'below par' is a cop out. Fisichella was fisichella the same one there has always been. You should investigate his two renault victories before you boast about them. At australia he won after the entire top half of the field couldnt qualify because of rain and he won sepang after both ferraris and Alonso had techical difficulties in qualifying.

#359 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:02

Originally posted by Spunout


"Only real opposition"...how can that be? Ferrari was supposed to go down after they lost Schumacher´s team leader and car developing skills?


They would have if Alonso had not been held back. They would have been thrashed in 2007 and most probably beaten again this year. Of course its easy when your biggest threat is removed.

Advertisement

#360 Fatgadget

Fatgadget
  • Member

  • 2,114 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:21

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


They would have if Alonso had not been held back. They would have been thrashed in 2007 and most probably beaten again this year. Of course its easy when your biggest threat is removed.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#361 Panch

Panch
  • Member

  • 443 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:26

Haha! Asperon :p

#362 Mat Rempit

Mat Rempit
  • Member

  • 176 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:27

agree with Luca,..Alonso is not desirable in Ferrari,....

but for neutral bored fans,....the only way to get an exciting season is to place Alonso in Ferrari with Kimi.

I am a neutral fan,..and i hope that pairing happens.

#363 Ligier26

Ligier26
  • Member

  • 256 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:28

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


Just saying Fisichella was 'below par' is a cop out. Fisichella was fisichella the same one there has always been. You should investigate his two renault victories before you boast about them. At australia he won after the entire top half of the field couldnt qualify because of rain and he won sepang after both ferraris and Alonso had techical difficulties in qualifying.


Maybe, but a win's a win. It's a 'cop out' to claim that they are somehow 'lesser' wins than Alonso's in the same car.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that Fisi is better than Alonso - he was the definite No. 2 in that team - but I'm pointing out that it's not accurate to claim that only Alonso got anything out of the R25/R26, because Fisi got pole positions, wins and podiums in the same cars.

#364 Ligier26

Ligier26
  • Member

  • 256 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:38

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


They would have been thrashed in 2007 and most probably beaten again this year. Of course its easy when your biggest threat is removed.


Yes, it's a shame that the 2008 McLaren isn't quite as good as its predecessor...

#365 papa

papa
  • Member

  • 495 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:40

Originally posted by Ligier26


Maybe, but a win's a win. It's a 'cop out' to claim that they are somehow 'lesser' wins than Alonso's in the same car.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that Fisi is better than Alonso - he was the definite No. 2 in that team - but I'm pointing out that it's not accurate to claim that only Alonso got anything out of the R25/R26, because Fisi got pole positions, wins and podiums in the same cars.


Fisi got one vctory per year...that is all...

#366 Sbastien

Sbastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:48

Originally posted by papa


Fisi got one vctory per year...that is all...

How did Fisi get into a thread about a very successful team and a very successful driver :rolleyes:

#367 Ligier26

Ligier26
  • Member

  • 256 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 15:01

Originally posted by papa


Fisi got one vctory per year...that is all...


I know he did - I wrote that in my earlier post. I still say it is misleading to claim that Fisi 'struggled even for podiums' in 2005-06 when the history books show two victories, two poles, six other podiums and four other front row starts.

#368 snx843

snx843
  • Member

  • 855 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 15:20

Originally posted by Panch
Haha! Asperon :p


Asperon?

You mean ...

Arrow, RTX, David G, Durant, Asperson and now Digital Drug...

I am losing count...5 bans so far :smoking:

#369 yr

yr
  • Member

  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined: December 98

Posted 04 May 2008 - 15:28

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


If the Renault was the car to have why did Alonsos team mate struggle even for podiums?


Quite frankly, Fisi wouldnt be consistant visitor in podium even if he had most dominant car ever. Its like Pat Symond said while ago: "It´s strange, if you give Fisi a car that is able to finish 5th he will finish 5th but if you give him a car that is good enough to win races, he`ll finish 3rd or 4th." Or something like that, don´t remember exact wording, but the point was clear, Fisi shines in bad cars but can´t deliver in good/great cars.

Therefore using Fisi as measure stick for 05/06 Renault is useless.

#370 Man of the race

Man of the race
  • Member

  • 1,277 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 04 May 2008 - 15:38

That is a very good observation.

Fisi can not drive the best cars as well as a little bit worse cars. That is a common fact. In fact the fact that Fisi lost to Alonso is a final proof that that car was superior.

#371 yr

yr
  • Member

  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined: December 98

Posted 04 May 2008 - 15:55

Originally posted by Man of the race


Fisi can not drive the best cars as well as a little bit worse cars.


Yeah, I think Frenzen was bit of the same too, he did do well in lesser cars, but when got his big chance in Williams he was very much like Fisi: few wins and few good quals, but overall a big dissapoitment. Some drivers just cant cope with a pressure of being a front runner.

#372 SeanValen

SeanValen
  • Member

  • 16,967 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 16:26

Originally posted by yr


Quite frankly, Fisi wouldnt be consistant visitor in podium even if he had most dominant car ever. Its like Pat Symond said while ago: "It´s strange, if you give Fisi a car that is able to finish 5th he will finish 5th but if you give him a car that is good enough to win races, he`ll finish 3rd or 4th." Or something like that, don´t remember exact wording, but the point was clear, Fisi shines in bad cars but can´t deliver in good/great cars.

Therefore using Fisi as measure stick for 05/06 Renault is useless.



Agreed, also the way Trulli was dumped by Renault/Flavio after he won Monaco(although he would leave later) but the 2004 season showed what happens when your expected star driver has a unexpected challenge from his teamate, Trulli was just on it in that Renault in 2004, he was better then most expected, he may not have been the long term choice for winning championships, but when the car has problems, Alonso isn't always at his strongest, reference Indy 06 and Hockenheim 06, Fisi outformed Alonso, lucky for Alonso Indy is not on the calender anymore, because he was pretty bad at it, and hockenheim he wasn't on it either, Fisi was better in both races, in both races renault wasn't expecting to win, and suddenly Fisi outfperformes Alonso, Fisi is better when the car isn't all there, and ALonso is worser, just like when Trulli overcame a car's problem in 2004 against Alonso.

In this respect, Alonso would not be the guy Ferrari would need when their in trouble, luckily for Renault and Alonso himself, they sorted out their issues after Indy/Hockenheim in 2006, and Flavio kicked Trulli out of Renault in 2004.

Alonso would of been a 3 times champion if Mclaren never used Hamilton in 2007, amazing how one decision changed Alonso's directions. Hamilton is why Alonso is back at Renault. If Alonso wanted to prove something, he should of stayed at Mclaren and beat him, Hamilton still finished ahead of Alonso in the points in 2008, Alonso could of gotten more respect from fans by staying at Mclaren. And I personally think Hamilton vs Alonso was the thing we needed after MS's retirement, and we need more fireworks like that.

#373 wj_gibson

wj_gibson
  • Member

  • 2,351 posts
  • Joined: January 05

Posted 04 May 2008 - 17:10

What a load of drivel.

#374 airwise

airwise
  • Member

  • 2,001 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 04 May 2008 - 17:57

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


They would have if Alonso had not been held back. They would have been thrashed in 2007 and most probably beaten again this year. Of course its easy when your biggest threat is removed.





:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:


:stoned:

Actually it's impossible to argue with some oik who thinks Fred beat MS in an inferior car in 2005.

#375 mowaru

mowaru
  • Member

  • 279 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 19:01

Originally posted by airwise





:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:


:stoned:

Actually it's impossible to argue with some oik who thinks Fred beat MS in an inferior car in 2005.


In 2005 Ferrari was not the best car ... neither was Renault ... but Ferrari suffered a lot with the "One tyre per race" rule ...

#376 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 19:11

Originally posted by mowaru


In 2005 Ferrari was not the best car ... neither was Renault ...


I am dreaming of the day when F1 fans fully grasp the importance of reliability :)

If you drop 20 points by retiring twice from the lead, have 4 engine penalties + some minor issues for good measure...the other guy with 100% reliable car wins. Forget making up the gap, especially if you have the fastest car "only" in 2/3 of the races. You can lap the field ten times and still gain no more than 2 or 4 points.

#377 noikeee

noikeee
  • Member

  • 9,869 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 04 May 2008 - 19:23

To be fair, that happens only when you have a guy that is consistently there to collect 2nd places and win when your car blows up - something which for example doesn't seem likely to happen this year, with both BMWs and both McLarens ready to split the points Ferrari leaves them.

It's all a bit relative and not entirely clear if you look superficially at the whole situation, but yeah, the lead Renault was the car to have in 05, I have no doubt of that.

#378 Ligier26

Ligier26
  • Member

  • 256 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 20:38

Originally posted by Spunout


I am dreaming of the day when F1 fans fully grasp the importance of reliability :)

If you drop 20 points by retiring twice from the lead, have 4 engine penalties + some minor issues for good measure...the other guy with 100% reliable car wins. Forget making up the gap, especially if you have the fastest car "only" in 2/3 of the races. You can lap the field ten times and still gain no more than 2 or 4 points.


Thank the Lord... someone who recognises how championships are won or lost!

#379 papa

papa
  • Member

  • 495 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 20:51

Originally posted by mowaru


In 2005 Ferrari was not the best car ... neither was Renault ... but Ferrari suffered a lot with the "One tyre per race" rule ...



Renault was the 2005 best car in some areas(corner speed,LC,engine torque..),very competitive and the most reliable,but Alonso showed a lot of skills and driving intelligence in many ways...

I believe we would have seen more agressive R25 in the second part of the season hadn´t
Renault built such a point gap early...

Having a raw speed(top speed and high revs) very often comes at the cost of reliabillity...

in F1 everything is in finding a good balance...
one can create a lot of downforce but then it creates more drag
one can create engine revving very high but then risk is engine blow up...

McLaren raw speed in 2005 is not enough to announce it as a best car in 2005

Advertisement

#380 mowaru

mowaru
  • Member

  • 279 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 21:50

Originally posted by Spunout


I am dreaming of the day when F1 fans fully grasp the importance of reliability :)

If you drop 20 points by retiring twice from the lead, have 4 engine penalties + some minor issues for good measure...the other guy with 100% reliable car wins. Forget making up the gap, especially if you have the fastest car "only" in 2/3 of the races. You can lap the field ten times and still gain no more than 2 or 4 points.


You think Fisichella was able to win the WDC ? ...

#381 mowaru

mowaru
  • Member

  • 279 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 21:52

I wonder why Montoya and Kimi finished ahead of Fisichella in the championship ...

#382 papa

papa
  • Member

  • 495 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 22:11

Originally posted by Sébastien

How did Fisi get into a thread about a very successful team and a very successful driver :rolleyes:


some believe judging a 2nd driver one can evaluate the real performance of the car...
not so simple IMO

#383 noikeee

noikeee
  • Member

  • 9,869 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 04 May 2008 - 22:17

Originally posted by mowaru
I wonder why Montoya and Kimi finished ahead of Fisichella in the championship ...


Fisi's car failed a lot more during 2005 than Alonso's.

At least that's what the Fisi fans used to say, tbh I don't remember all that well.

#384 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 23:11

Originally posted by mowaru
I wonder why Montoya and Kimi finished ahead of Fisichella in the championship ...


Mostly because of two things:

1) At McLaren, both drivers had about (few more for KR, maybe?) same number of mech failures. At Renault - for one reason or another - all mech failures happened to Fisi.

2) Personally, I´d rank JPM > Fisi.

#385 mowaru

mowaru
  • Member

  • 279 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 May 2008 - 23:24

Originally posted by Spunout


Mostly because of two things:

1) At McLaren, both drivers had about (few more for KR, maybe?) same number of mech failures. At Renault - for one reason or another - all mech failures happened to Fisi.

2) Personally, I´d rank JPM > Fisi.


but remember that Renault was thousand of times faster, reliable than McLaren ... no ? ... driver makes no difference ... or that's what some people in here seem to think ...

#386 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 04 May 2008 - 23:43

Originally posted by mowaru


but remember that Renault was thousand of times faster, reliable than McLaren ... no ?


Alonso´s Renault was far more reliable than McLarens. I am not so sure about Fisi´s Renault.

#387 Nitropower

Nitropower
  • Member

  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 23:44

Originally posted by Ligier26


I don't have 'hate towards Alonso'... I think he's an extremely talented driver and you can't argue with two world championships. I don't see him as in the same league as Schumi though.

Either way, please 'try not to be led by your hate towards Hamilton when posting'. There is absolutely no logical justification for the comment 'Hamilton destroyed his own myth last year'... what is that supposed to mean exactly?

Whether you want to face facts or not, Hamilton made his F1 debut in Australia '07 as a person who was well known and highly regarded in the motorsport community, but unknown to the vast majority of the general public... hardly a 'mythical' figure. He finished the '07 season as a global superstar, multiple GP winner and the most successful rookie in the history of the sport. To argue that he 'destroyed his own myth last year', in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, is just plain silly.

You are totally correct, of course, to say that 'if you don't have the best car or quite close to the best, you are not becoming a world champion', but I don't think any 'myth' existed that held that 'Schumacher was unbeatable for being Schumacher, instead of for having the best car'; He couldn't win the drivers' title in his first two full seasons at Benetton or, even as a double world champion, in his first four seasons at Ferrari. He was at the mercy of the car, just like everybody else - Senna at Toleman and Lotus, Hamilton at McLaren this year, Alonso at Minardi and again at Renault this year.


Well you might not hate him but you clearly don't like him. I don't know what makes you see him in another league... well I do. But as far as I know Alonso beat Schumacher when both had a winning car, and not the opposite. In fact I don't know which league is Schumacher's, maybe Ferrari's league, with the best car for so many years and not so strong competition. For me they are in the same league, as many other drivers, some happened to have the best car for a longer time, that's what it is about in the end.

1 year is time enough to create a myth through a huge hype, Hamilton McLaren and the media built it and they wrecked it in two races, so he has to prove himself now. Losing a WDC that you had in your hands, chained and stuck with ultraglue, is distroying a myth. The one of the next best thing.

And regarding the thread title, Alonso is not needed at Ferrari and he won't go there. Their good driver is good enough, they can have the wcc with an average driver and fast qualifier like massa is, and they can't have 2 wdc so why hire Alonso when they have Kimi. Ferrari really don't care who's winning for them, as long as they win. So I don't think they have any special desire for Alonso, they'll just try to have what they think is best for them at every moment. If the car is the best as it is at the moment, they don't need much. There's a few drivers that can make Ferrari win, more than 5 or 6, in my opinion.

#388 Nitropower

Nitropower
  • Member

  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 May 2008 - 23:54

Originally posted by SeanValen



Agreed, also the way Trulli was dumped by Renault/Flavio after he won Monaco(although he would leave later) but the 2004 season showed what happens when your expected star driver has a unexpected challenge from his teamate, Trulli was just on it in that Renault in 2004, he was better then most expected, he may not have been the long term choice for winning championships, but when the car has problems, Alonso isn't always at his strongest, reference Indy 06 and Hockenheim 06, Fisi outformed Alonso, lucky for Alonso Indy is not on the calender anymore, because he was pretty bad at it, and hockenheim he wasn't on it either, Fisi was better in both races, in both races renault wasn't expecting to win, and suddenly Fisi outfperformes Alonso, Fisi is better when the car isn't all there, and ALonso is worser, just like when Trulli overcame a car's problem in 2004 against Alonso.

In this respect, Alonso would not be the guy Ferrari would need when their in trouble, luckily for Renault and Alonso himself, they sorted out their issues after Indy/Hockenheim in 2006, and Flavio kicked Trulli out of Renault in 2004.

Alonso would of been a 3 times champion if Mclaren never used Hamilton in 2007, amazing how one decision changed Alonso's directions. Hamilton is why Alonso is back at Renault. If Alonso wanted to prove something, he should of stayed at Mclaren and beat him, Hamilton still finished ahead of Alonso in the points in 2008, Alonso could of gotten more respect from fans by staying at Mclaren. And I personally think Hamilton vs Alonso was the thing we needed after MS's retirement, and we need more fireworks like that.


In Indy 06 Alonso had engine problems, while Fisi had a brand new engine, and it was a new spec. In Hockenheim Alonso had problems with tyres, that happens.
Alonso did good in leaving McLaren because he was not going to be appreciated ever, no matter what he did, they had chosen their boy after 3 races. Don't forget what happened last year took place mostly out of the track.
What we really need is several good cars in the grid, if not the sport becomes really, really really boring.

#389 noikeee

noikeee
  • Member

  • 9,869 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 05 May 2008 - 00:03

Originally posted by Nitropower
What we really need is several good cars in the grid, if not the sport becomes really, really really boring.


Well, F1 has been like that for a very very long time.

#390 Nitropower

Nitropower
  • Member

  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 05 May 2008 - 00:19

Originally posted by paranoik0


Well, F1 has been like that for a very very long time.


You are right, and that's why the last 3 yrs it's been so much more exciting.

#391 Chiara

Chiara
  • Member

  • 1,847 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:56

Alonso might have a fight on his hands for that Ferrari :p

http://en.f1-live.co...504162503.shtml

I would pick Kubica - Ecclestone
So would Ferrari and Renault, it seems
04/05/08 16:25

A report indicates that Ferrari and Renault are moving to acquire the services of Polish Formula One race driver Robert Kubica.

The 23-year-old has been a star of the 2008 season so far for BMW Sauber, and is currently third in the drivers' championship classification.

The German newspaper Bild am Sonntag quotes F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone as saying: "If I was a team boss, I would pick him."

Bild claims that officials both for Renault and Ferrari have made enquiries as to how long Kubica, who has outqualified his German teammate Nick Heidfeld on every occasion so far this season, is under contract to BMW.

It is understood that he is committed to the Munich manufacturer only until 2009, whereafter an option to extend the deal can only be made by mutual consent.

D.B. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

#392 DiStefano

DiStefano
  • Member

  • 485 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:16

Lol Bild, they are The Sun of Germany

#393 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:10

Originally posted by Ligier26


Maybe, but a win's a win. It's a 'cop out' to claim that they are somehow 'lesser' wins than Alonso's in the same car.


They were handicap wins, wins when all his rivals were removed, how is it a cop out to detail this? Of course you can easily win when you have no one to beat. How many wins did Fisi have or even come close to having when he actually had to beat his rivals. Umm zero.

#394 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:13

Originally posted by yr


Quite frankly, Fisi wouldnt be consistant visitor in podium even if he had most dominant car ever. Its like Pat Symond said while ago: "It´s strange, if you give Fisi a car that is able to finish 5th he will finish 5th but if you give him a car that is good enough to win races, he`ll finish 3rd or 4th." Or something like that, don´t remember exact wording, but the point was clear, Fisi shines in bad cars but can´t deliver in good/great cars.

Therefore using Fisi as measure stick for 05/06 Renault is useless.


Thats just rubbish, and makes no logical sense. Why would Fisi have this problem but so many other average drivers dont when given the best cars? Even Coulthard looked dominant at times. And so does Massa the very guy Fisichella thrashed one year before meeting Alonso. Its just a convenient theory created to discredit Alonso.

#395 Man of the race

Man of the race
  • Member

  • 1,277 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:22

DC and Felipe have mainly lost to WDCs, not for rookies. Fisi too... except for Heikki. They have taken the challenge, not ran away. Man's job. :up:

#396 airwise

airwise
  • Member

  • 2,001 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:27

Originally posted by Ligier26


Thank the Lord... someone who recognises how championships are won or lost!


It's a shame but with the current points structure the cruise and collect mentality will apparently win out every time. I'd like to see a 15-10-6 points differential for the top three but I guess the championship would be over way too early for the TV bosses some years.

#397 Spunout

Spunout
  • Member

  • 12,351 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:44

Originally posted by Digitaldrug


Thats just rubbish, and makes no logical sense. Why would Fisi have this problem but so many other average drivers dont when given the best cars? Even Coulthard looked dominant at times. And so does Massa the very guy Fisichella thrashed one year before meeting Alonso. Its just a convenient theory created to discredit Alonso.


Arrow! Where have you been? Another ban? :)

#398 Man of the race

Man of the race
  • Member

  • 1,277 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:45

The point system should be exponential, so that in the last race the winner gets so much points that it alone would let him win the WDC. And then after that the audience will give SMS votes (1.99 euros per message) which could still change the end result. While waiting for the votes, Eros Ramazotti could sing for the world peace.

#399 MichaelPM

MichaelPM
  • Member

  • 2,594 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:52

Originally posted by Man of the race
The point system should be exponential, so that in the last race the winner gets so much points that it alone would let him win the WDC. And then after that the audience will give SMS votes (1.99 euros per message) which could still change the end result. While waiting for the votes, Eros Ramazotti could sing for the world peace.

I thought I heard the sound of someones brain breaking, this explains it.

Although having an a gradually increasing points system for the constructors championship would kinda make sense.

Advertisement

#400 Big Block 8

Big Block 8
  • Member

  • 2,423 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:58

Originally posted by Man of the race
The point system should be exponential, so that in the last race the winner gets so much points that it alone would let him win the WDC. And then after that the audience will give SMS votes (1.99 euros per message) which could still change the end result. While waiting for the votes, Eros Ramazotti could sing for the world peace.


Astonishingly good idea! :up: