Photo

Bash your favourite driver!

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:26

There are some fans on this BB who could do with a reality check and could learn to be a little less sensitive to 'attacks' and bashing of their favourite driver and so I propose a little group therapy!

Take your favourite driver(s) and then tell us about their least admirable qualities, what you don't like about them and a fair and honest rating of how good they really are (not how good you wish they were). We know you still think they are great despite their flaws so there is no need to come to their defence so negative comments only and don't mention any other drivers in your post.

I'll start with...

Montoya - He's rash, impatient, arrogant, has a short fuse and a tendency to sulk when things don't go his way (just look at the way he left Williams and then how he left F1, both were examples of him at his worst). He is often guilty of biting off more then he can chew when it comes to overtaking and too often proves that his car control is no substitute for good race-craft. In F1 he's somewhere in the 2nd tier of very good but not great drivers. For him to have won a WDC would have been as much a reflection of his skill in being in the right place at the right time as his driving. In NASCAR it will be luck not outright skill that gets him into the chase in the next year or two, learning a new style of racing means he's even less of a complete driver then he was in F1.

So are you ready to admit your favourite driver is less then perfect and that those who criticise them may have a valid point?

Advertisement

#2 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:27

I foresee this thread being a complete failure.

#3 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:29

MS could be very ruthless on-track, and at times made some rash decisions. For every 100 awesome decisions that allowed him to win a race, he'd make one which afterwards no doubt made him go "oh **** why did I do that, it was bloody stupid".

KR may not achieve his true potential cause he doesn't put enough in for modern F1.

RK, nothing to say I haven't found a flaw yet but it's early days ;)

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,514 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:32

Yuji Ide may not have the out-and-out pace to compete at the highest level of motorsport. :(

#5 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:33

OMG.. I like this..

#6 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:40

Originally posted by BMW_F1
OMG.. I like this..

Then why not join in?

#7 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:45

He is car breaker, drunkard, no personality, lacks intelligence, doesnt speak, never a WDC, ...

#8 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 22:57

Scott had no Speed.

Jensen Button Will Never Win Again!

Whew, got that off my chest.

#9 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:25

Too many excuses, never won a race; outqualifies his team mates, but only because they were/are crap.

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:29

tends to overdrive, kinda disapointing after F3 and has a silly voice.

(Sato :clap: )

#11 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:37

Jacques Villeneuve was my favorite driver when he was in F1. I'm doing my best to find something to bash him with, but I can't find anything. I guess he was the quintessential F1 driver.;)

#12 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:46

Past: Tossed away his F1 career in a BAR

Present: Has embarrassing flashes of child like immaturity.

Might I add that we could also complement those drivers that we don't like so as to complete the shoe on the other foot scenario!

Present: Lewis Hamilton is scary fast.

Past: Michael Schumacher: the most complete F1 driver package ever. #1 in discipline & focus. imho

Edit for spelling

#13 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 00:24

I actually really like this idea, perhaps it can be followed as SlateGray suggested by one where we post only positive things about drivers were less keen on? ;) (I'll add mine in here)

Favourites:

For me, Felipe Massa: too inconsistent at times despite showing excellent pace, has a propensity to lose his head a little when things don't go his way in race starts, and seems to fade away in some races when he is not at the front end of the grid, not to mention his propensity for getting into verbal spats pre-podium celebration with Spaniards ;) other than that he is a top bloke.

Kimi: demonstrates all the emotion of a frozen haddock at the local supermarket counter, and can't seem to quite hit the sweet spot in terms of qualifying which means he makes it harder for himself come race day. Not to mention it takes most people a week to work out his press conference mumblings. On a positive note though I find his dry humour appealing and really like his no nonsense no sense in complaining approach where he just gets his head down and gets on with it :up:

Not so Favourites:

Alonso: Extremely smart racer who knows when to push like mad and when to wait and see how the race unfolds (sees the bigger picture), intelligent and focused, exciting to watch especially some of his overtaking manouevres and no doubt very talented at what he does.

(I may add more later when my brain isn't resembling a blancmange) ;)

#14 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 00:34

Originally posted by SlateGray
Past: Tossed away his F1 career in a BAR

Present: Has embarrassing flashes of child like immaturity.

Might I add that we could also complement those drivers that we don,t like so as to complete the shoe on the other foot scenario!

Past: Michael Schumacher: the most complete F1 driver package ever. #1 in discipline & focus. imho

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Respect for this post from SG :up:

#15 Kami P

Kami P

• 119 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 00:37

[i]Originally posted by SlateGray

:kiss: :up:

#16 hedges

hedges

• 1,227 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 00:42

MS, yes, I am living in the past lol (just haven't settled on a post MS true fave just yet RK and KR leading narrowly from NH and HK)...

MS, starts were average and Austria was the pits (worst moment ever as a huge fan). Passing RB for win in Austria, it should have been beneath him, he should have been better than that. Did other things some would pillary him for but that was just part of his on track psyche and I was ok with that. Austria was horrible, I was sitting there saying don't do it to myself over and over.

Montoya was one of the few drivers I have disliked for various reasons. He had raw speed and when he thought he was in a position to make a pass we and he never had to wonder whether he could have made that pass or not after the race.

#17 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,166 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 00:44

Heikki is too slow to ever be a WDC, will only be a good No.2

Lewis is overrated.

Kimi makes Mika look like Shakespeare.

Schumy was a good sportsman.

#18 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:28

calls himself an australian but doesn't drink beer! :mad: :down:

#19 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:26

MS: IMO his weakest point was his nerves which became apparent in some hight-pressure situations. The win-at-all costs mentality was also a bad point sometimes, but then the same mentality was good in other situations.

FM: I like him the most on the current grid, but I'm aware of his weaknesses. He is not the strongest on race-craft and makes too many errors. He also lacks consistency: he has races when he is unbeateble by any other driver but then there are races like Hungary 2007... Wet races are not his strongest point either.

And the other way around:

FA: He is probably the most complete driver on the current grid. Good race-craft, good instinct on when to push, when to back off and also in overtaking situations. He is also very determined and ambitious.

Advertisement

#20 H0R

H0R

• 4,087 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:28

"Now get your f***ing act together and RACE! Trundling around at Pos 8 is definitely no way to win a championship!"
Good lord, Mika... :rolleyes:

#21 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:30

Originally posted by JForce
MS could be very ruthless on-track, and at times made some rash decisions. For every 100 awesome decisions that allowed him to win a race, he'd make one which afterwards no doubt made him go "oh **** why did I do that, it was bloody stupid".

What he said.

#22 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:56

Schumacher: Final laps of Hungary 2006. Austria podium, not the move. USGP photo finish. Double U Tee Eff.

#23 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:09

Funny stuff... :up:

Neg on FA:

Being emotional outside the car serves no purpose, being dependent on emotional support from the team is even worse. Should have given more answers on track and better hide his feelings to the outside world (snubbing RD and NH in public was quite childish). Overall, a bit of Kimi's attitude on such issues would do a world of good...

Failed to squeeze out those few extra tenths in qualifying (which would have changed a lot last year). Then again, that ability is either there or not. He was never the greatest qualifier and I never saw a driver that could develope into one.

Pos on the golden child:

The most exciting to watch out there. Amazing starts + first laps.

Phew. It hurt a bit, but I survived... ;)

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:10

Still has blinding speed, but does not have the consistency which he should have developed by now. :(

#25 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:13

Rosberg needs a man's hair cut instead of that androgynous wig he's sporting at the moment.

Button needs to get angry and show some character. I think more than a little Rubens is rubbing off on him (no that's not innuendo).

Davidson needs to get through puberty already!

#26 howardt

howardt

• 2,102 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:24

He was once the next big thing, now he's an also ran. Vacillated between Williams and Honda and made himself look like an idiot in the process. Now he's finally stepped off the fence, on the wrong side. His one win was Kimi's race to lose. He'll never win another. I expected him to outclass his ageing teammate, but I've been disappointed. Has a pikey dad. Got waaay too much exposure on ITV (which was really irritating but not his fault) until the new kid came along. Facial hair problems. In fact just hair problems generally. All the corporate talk of "well, we'll just have to do better, the team is working hard" is really loyal but boring as hell - just once I wish he'd grab the mike from Louise and say "WTF, we look like a bunch of tossers today, this is embarrassing. I blame N*** F** !"

#27 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:30

Hammy is my favourite driver because he doesn't seem scared of anything. I am scared of lots of things so this really impresses me :lol: .

I wish he would be a bit less aggressive with what he says sometimes, "showed me how not to behave" for example, and I didn't like the gestures to Fisi and Taku. But I liked him sticking it to Max, along with Webbo and Nico, so I suppose I shouldn't expect him to be a lamb and a lion exactly when I want :p .

#28 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:35

@undersqare

that's bashing for you? :p

I know you can do better, come on...;)

#29 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:50

Michael Schumacher

1) He knocked people off the road.
2) He had a team mate who was not competive
3) He had brain fade on more than one occassion.
4) He tells porkypies when suited.

Ok, I admit he's not my favourite driver anyhow, one of my worst. But an opportunity to giove him another bashing was far too good to resist. :p

Regards

Andy

#30 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:53

Originally posted by AndyW35

Ok, I admit he's not my favourite driver anyhow, one of my worst. But an opportunity to giove him another bashing was far too good to resist. :p

Cheater!

;)

#31 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:53

Originally posted by as65p
@undersqare

that's bashing for you? :p

I know you can do better, come on...;)

:lol: I don't bash very much, except for Max, so am out of practice...

#32 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:55

Originally posted by AndyW35

That's cheating, now you owe your real favourite a double strength bashing!

#33 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:55

Originally posted by undersquare

You could say something nice about Alonso

#34 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:01

I will I think (inside the car) Alonso it quite possiably the cleverest driver on the grid.

#35 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:04

Originally posted by undersquare

As opposed to Max.

#36 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:06

Nick Heidfeld is more steady than Quick these days. If someone thinks Button has facuial hair issues, it's downright awful to see what NH runs around with sometimes. And please get rid of the mullet too. :D

Kubica has blinding speed and has shown great application and dedication to take the next step. :mad:

#37 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:07

Sure :) ... I think he's a terrific driver, very fast, very rarely makes a mistake, intelligent, drives a fabulous race at 100.00% or whatever is needed. Great overtaker and defender, and does a strong weekend altogether with tactics and setup. It's a real pity he's not in a top car this year.

#38 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:07

Stop right there people!

If we turn this thread into 'praise drivers you don't like' then it looses it's purpose. Anyone who believes their favourite driver is perfect in every way can of course say that another driver has some admirable qualities because that implies that the other driver has some negatives qualities which the favourite does not. Some members of this BB need to admit the truth and climb down from the position where their driver is perfect and anyone who disagrees is biased.

#39 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:11

Going back in time, Andrea De Cesaris was fast, but a little to prone to crying.

Advertisement

#40 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:13

Originally posted by FonzCam
Stop right there people!

If we turn this thread into 'praise drivers you don't like' then it looses it's purpose. Anyone who believes their favourite driver is perfect in every way can of course say that another driver has some admirable qualities because that implies that the other driver has some negatives qualities which the favourite does not. Some members of this BB need to admit the truth and climb down from the position where their driver is perfect and anyone who disagrees is biased.

I see you care for the thread you created, but as that spartan in "300" said to the persian after cutting his arm: "It's not yours anymore"

;)

#41 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:19

I see you care for the thread you created, but as that spartan in "300" said to the persian after cutting his arm: "It's not yours anymore"

;)

I'm just trying to avert the prophecy of the one they call Yellowmc :D

#42 Uwe

Uwe

• 707 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:40

Originally posted by jcbc3
Nick Heidfeld is more steady than Quick these days. If someone thinks Button has facuial hair issues, it's downright awful to see what NH runs around with sometimes. And please get rid of the mullet too. :D

Wanted to say something similar about Heidfeld (he is one of my favourite drivers too). Everytime I see him Jeremy Clarkson's golden word of "face fungus" springs into my mind.

#43 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:43

Originally posted by FonzCam

I'm just trying to avert the prophecy of the one they call Yellowmc :D

I think you're right to try :) . And amazingly successful so far.

I think Hammy has a real problem with Fernando. It was a mistake not to cover the inside down to turn1 at the last race and let Fernando get past. Then he got too aggressive about it.

And how he didn't get the engine map selected in time for the start I don't understand.

#44 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:46

Is anyone going to bash the McLaren Head of Communications and Public Relations? :D

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:56

Originally posted by Josta
Is anyone going to bash the McLaren Head of Communications and Public Relations? :D

In this thread he'd have to be our favourite :rotfl:

#46 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:35

I think it's a very interesting thread but I'm afraid those who should the most won't post here. ;)

I'd be interested in Arrows/Durant/whatever name he has now critical opinion on Alonso, for example. ;)

#47 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:35

Drivers I 'like':

Past: Damon Hill: Ran out of drive and ambition after winning the title and should never, ever, ever have ended up at Arrows. I wish he'd taken the 'pay as you go' drive at McLaren instead of going to Jordan... he would have beaten Mika over a season. And when that season was 1998... argh. Even if he'd been rubbish he would have won races in that car.

Past Jacques Villeneuve: You pissed it all away. Why do drivers keep leaving Williams..? They even liked you! :) It was like Fittipaldi / Copersucar again... what a waste. I miss the 'Jacques Attacks'.

Current: Lewis Hamilton: SHUT UP. DRIVE THE CAR.

Drivers I 'dislike':

M. Schumacher: When all is said and done, the guy was ****ing awesome. I remember standing at Becketts in the pouring rain in 98 and watching the master destroying everyone else out there. We were laughing because he was just braking so much later than everyone else, incredible. Another thing which people watching television won't know is that he overtook Mika also in the morning warmup, he was ****ing PRACTICING!

I've long ago forgave him for anything i've ever disliked him for and consider it a privilege to have seen him in action several times :)

Eddie Irvine: even though you're a complete tosser, you've got a life that many dream of :) you must have some talent ;)

#48 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:47

I don't really dislike any of the drivers. But as we're on a witch-hunt. I'll burn Alonso. I think he is supremely talented and an outstanding driver with great car control, but personality wise, he's sometimes like a petulant 12 year old boy. There you go. That's that off my chest.

#49 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:54

Funny stuff... :up:

Neg on FA:

Being emotional outside the car serves no purpose, being dependent on emotional support from the team is even worse. Should have given more answers on track and better hide his feelings to the outside world (snubbing RD and NH in public was quite childish). Overall, a bit of Kimi's attitude on such issues would do a world of good...

Failed to squeeze out those few extra tenths in qualifying (which would have changed a lot last year). Then again, that ability is either there or not. He was never the greatest qualifier and I never saw a driver that could develope into one.

Pos on the golden child:

The most exciting to watch out there. Amazing starts + first laps.

Phew. It hurt a bit, but I survived... ;)

:eek:

This is a great thread! :D

#50 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:58

Kimi needs to learn how to TALK in press conferences. Watching him being interviewed a minute before his fellow Finn Kovalainen is just sad. Heikki's English beats Kimi's my miles.

Speak up, bud.