• 2,967 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:30

Sprint race starting soon, again live coverage on ITV4 :up:

Advertisement

#52 Sergino

Sergino

• 655 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:37

can sbody put it available for us non UK residents??? There is no available stream in my country and none of tv channels broadcasts it...

#53 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:51

I just found this one: http://www.justin.tv/bluespower

Boring race 2 so far...

#54 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:02

When did the race start? Wasn't it 10:00 (local time)? Because then it already should have been ended

#55 Will

Will

• 2,967 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:03

In that case it's delayed by half an hour

#56 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:03

It started 40 minutes ago.

6 laps to go now.

#57 Sergino

Sergino

• 655 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:05

Originally posted by dutra
I just found this one: http://www.justin.tv/bluespower

Boring race 2 so far...

You're god, thanks:)

#58 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:08

C'mon! Grosjean HAVE to be punished.

#59 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:09

how many times you can change your line? That didnt seem right :(

Advertisement

#60 peroa

peroa

• 8,841 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:09

Where did they get those two id***s on itv?

#61 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:10

Drive trough! Fair and square

#62 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:10

So yet another sprint race win for Kobayashi. Helped by the fact that the whole field seem to be stuck behind Buemi.

Parente nowhere!

#63 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:16

Grosjean clearly the best driver. Got the lead after 2 laps and never looked back. He was completely blitzing the field. Then we had an unnessecary SC and on the restart Grosjean completely lost his head. Went of the track at the chicane while trying to get a jump, and then made a bully move on Kobayashi in T1, which was rightfully punished.

Great win for Kobayashi, he was the only car able to stay reasonably close to the frenchman. Buemi 2nd, being nowhere on pace but fast enough to keep Pantano behind.

The Piquet boys truely ruined it for themselves. I think they made contact to each other at least 3 times, in the end both retiring. Very boneheaded driving by both guys.

#64 Will

Will

• 2,967 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:17

Bit of a Hamilton style drive from Romain Grosjean there ;)

#65 Risil

Risil

• 13,429 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:19

Drive trough! Fair and square

He deserved all the drive-through penalties they could give him for that move. But the safety car that preceeded it was ridiculous, almost a debris caution really. :rolleyes:

:up: for the Piquet drivers for seemingly the only people to overtake, even if it was each other, and they didn't quite grasp the concept of doing it on some part of the track where the guy in front isn't.

#66 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:19

I actually thought Grosjean was at 99.9% of breaking the rule.

His initial move to the inside was to shake the slipstream, not to block. In my book that's fair.

Kamui then moves back to the racing like. Grosjean doesn't immediately follow him to block, but instead moves over towards the racing line to get the proper run through the corner. Again, so far so good.

The iffy bit is, do we count the kerbing as 'in' because if so, Romain did exactly what you're supposed to do when defending an overtake. Give the guy absolutely enough room to go through and/or stay on the road, but nothing more. If we include the kerb, it's not the politest racing, but within the rules to me.

I didn't buy the 'multiple' moves offense. He moved once to break the slipstream, then rejoined the racing line on his own perogative, not really in response to Kobayashi.

Oh well, he'll win a lot more. The entertainment of the season will be at Piquet Sports though :lol:

#67 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:21

SC was necessary for sure. Ricci's car was in the middle of the track. Grosjean almost hitted the italian. I don't know if Grosjean is the best driver. Sundays races are quite artificial. Villa won a lot of those races last year without even figth for the title.

#68 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:27

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

I didn't buy the 'multiple' moves offense. He moved once to break the slipstream, then rejoined the racing line on his own perogative, not really in response to Kobayashi.

Oh well, he'll win a lot more. The entertainment of the season will be at Piquet Sports though :lol:

Does look that way doesn't it. Get the impression that Maldonado is incapable of making his tyres last a race distance - but if he can keep qualifying on the front row, and if in future he can get the car off the line, he might pick up the odd win anyway.

I'm afraid I think Grosjean deserved the penalty - not so much for the 'two moves' per-se, as for the fact that he practically ran Kobayashi off the road in trying to keep him back into turn 1. The sort of thing which seems to be considered acceptable these days, but really shouldn't be (at the risk of sounding like old Nigel Roebuck...)

Anyone else get the impression the new cars can't run as close to each other as the old ones?

#69 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:34

Hi !

Could somebody show the final result of race2 ? :)

Levi

#70 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:38

FINAL:

1. Kobayashi
2. Buemi
3. Pantano
4. Senna
5. Valsecchi
6. Villa
7. Parente
8. Conway
9. Hanley
10. Bourman

13. Grosjean

#71 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:40

His initial move to the inside was to shake the slipstream, not to block. In my book that's fair.

Kamui then moves back to the racing like. Grosjean doesn't immediately follow him to block, but instead moves over towards the racing line to get the proper run through the corner. Again, so far so good.

The iffy bit is, do we count the kerbing as 'in' because if so, Romain did exactly what you're supposed to do when defending an overtake. Give the guy absolutely enough room to go through and/or stay on the road, but nothing more. If we include the kerb, it's not the politest racing, but within the rules to me.

I agree with everything here. Grosjean's move was very very dirty, but I think within the limit of legality (just barely). Either way, it's not a bad thing to give him a drive-through, these drivers need to learn to avoid this sorts of moves once they reach F1.

As for the Piquet guys, I was kinda expecting it to happen once I saw they were battling for position. This is going to be a fun season. :lol:

Did you guys notice the DAMS team boss, or whoever that was, pissed off at the pitlane when Grosjean passed Kobayashi? Wonder if he's still pissed now!

#72 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:46

Originally posted by Haddock
Anyone else get the impression the new cars can't run as close to each other as the old ones?

Maybe there's a slight difference as some cars have seemed to just settle into position, but there was plenty of action yesterday, specially in the midfield. Barcelona's lack of passing points didn't help.

I was surprised at Parente's lack of pace today, guess he still has things to learn. Of course, SportTV did an ITV-Lewis thing and kept talking about Parente's 11th place all race. I want him to do well, but this is annoying. :

#73 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:47

Thank you !
In hungary i'm not able to see the races lately....

FINAL:

1. Kobayashi
2. Buemi
3. Pantano
4. Senna
5. Valsecchi
6. Villa
7. Parente
8. Conway
9. Hanley
10. Bourman

13. Grosjean

#74 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Poor Grosjean, the penalty was harsh, it was definitely a very agressive move to defend himself, but one that didn't deserve a penalty.

I think Romain's bigger error was not warming up the tires sufficiently for the restart, which made him go off initially, and become rattled. Kobayashi also got a run up on him. Romain is still my favorite for the title though.

Piquet drivers should have their own reality TV show :lol: The cameras should follow them around all through the weekend. Lots of love there :p

#75 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,316 posts

Kinda boring race, i think the penalty for Grosjean was fair enough. Pity that Parente couldn't do more after being forced to that emergency break to avoid the spinning Chandhok, but well, im glad he leaves the first race as 1st in the championship. Senna looked more consistent, though.

#76 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:48

Originally posted by paranoik0

Maybe there's a slight difference as some cars have seemed to just settle into position, but there was plenty of action yesterday, specially in the midfield. Barcelona's lack of passing points didn't help.

I was surprised at Parente's lack of pace today, guess he still has things to learn. Of course, SportTV did an ITV-Lewis thing and kept talking about Parente's 11th place all race. I want him to do well, but this is annoying. :

How was it with Senna today ?

#77 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:51

Originally posted by Levike
Thank you !
In hungary

Well why don't you go and get something to eat then?

I'll get my coat. :blush:

#78 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:52

Bit anonymous, he just sit around in a points position all race and benefited from people falling off ahead (Petrov who retired, Grosjean who got a drive-through). At a point the Piquet guys pressured him to get P6 at the time, but then they started to worry more about each other than about taking Senna's place.

Either way, Senna is joint leader of the championship along with Parente now.

#79 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:02

Originally posted by Josta

Well why don't you go and get something to eat then?

I'll get my coat. :blush:

very funny

Advertisement

#80 peroa

peroa

• 8,841 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:04

Well, I don`t thing the move on Koba should have resulted in a drivethrough but combined with the chicane cutting before I think it is justified.

#81 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 751 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:05

I agree with everything here. Grosjean's move was very very dirty, but I think within the limit of legality (just barely). Either way, it's not a bad thing to give him a drive-through, these drivers need to learn to avoid this sorts of moves once they reach F1.

Why? It looked like the guy's been watching F1 and decided it's a fair enough defence to make.

It wasn't as harsh as Kubica and Massa knocking each other off track at Fuji and being celebrated as the best racing of the year.

Nor was it as harsh as Alonso sweeping right across the track, over the kerb and onto the astroturf at Spa to ensure Hamilton had to take to the run off, another move met with approval in many quarters.

Yes it was a little more brutal than Hamilton's defence at Indianapolis against Alonso but the same 'one-move' rule that was used to explain that one would seem to apply here. Grosjean moved right to defend then moved back onto the racing line for the corner which the rules seem to legitimise. He left room if you consider the kerbing as part of the track - which is repeatedly used to excuse all manner of 'dubious' moves throughout all forms of motorsport.

Grosjean's only mistake was screwing the chicane at the restart. Race control made the bigger mistakes as far as I'm concerned, with a safety car issued more to bunch up the field 'for the show' than for anything else and then penalising a driver who earned the win for doing something arguably less aggressive than F1 drivers habitually get away with without even falling 'under investigation'.

#82 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:44

I think that the move over Kobayashi at the turn 1 combined with the missed chicane before the restart are enough to the penalty because caused an unnecessary moment of danger. GP2 is a school of drivers. Things like that have to be punished. Grosjean lost five points and, I hope, learned with that.

#83 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:47

Grosjean has laid out his stall then - he's clearly a bad loser. I hope the media, who just a few weeks ago couldn't praise him enough as being the next big thing, will now deride him for being a bad loser.

Watch out for him when he gets to F1.

He ****ed up in the final chicane, Kobayashi clearly had the legs on him but Grosjean couldn't take it like a man. Block by all means if you can and if you have to, but this wasn't a block (for those who think it was a fair move). This was blatantly pushing Kobayashi to the edge of the track. Things would have turned a bit sour if K had been pushed into the wall.

But having said that...Kobayashi did exactly the same thing at the start of the race! Where was his penalty?

#84 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:51

Thoughts on the ITV4 coverage...

Presenter was very attractive (sorry ladies!) and it was a nice touch to have Mark Blundell involved - a nice bit of crossover from the F1 team. That makes it feel more like part of one big weekend.

The commentary was however utterly terrible. That's why they shouldn't use radio commentators for TV, they simply don't translate what their seeing for people who are also seeing it.

Dull dull dull. They sounded like they didn't want to be there. How can people sound so disinterested in their new jobs, a job they need to really push in order to keep the viewers and thus keep their jobs? The mind boggles.

Still - overall it was better than Eurosport's usual coverage starting on the 3rd red light and ending at the chequered flag...

#85 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:52

Originally posted by Darth Sidious

Why? It looked like the guy's been watching F1 and decided it's a fair enough defence to make.

Well, we're running into a chicken and egg argument here, because the point is that there's too much of these things going on in F1.

Kubica vs Massa was fun to watch, but they pretty much threw the rulebook away during that lap. Had one of them decided to keep themselves on track (as they had the right to do so) and not use the run-offs, it'd have ended up in a crash, and one of them would've been criticised by everyone instead of acclaimed.

#86 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,713 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:54

Originally posted by Darth Sidious

Race control made the bigger mistakes as far as I'm concerned, with a safety car issued more to bunch up the field 'for the show'

You did spot the car that was stricken on the racing line in the final chicane?

That wasn't race control's **** up today. Race control's **** up today was leaving the entire start-finish straight as a yellow flag zone lap after lap after (Petrov?) pulled off onto the grass there. They had plenty of laps to move it but left it there and left that area as a yellow zone. It was the main potential overtaking point but everyone had to maintain position. Ridiculous.

#87 Will

Will

• 2,967 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:00

Originally posted by Imperial
Thoughts on the ITV4 coverage...

Presenter was very attractive (sorry ladies!) and it was a nice touch to have Mark Blundell involved - a nice bit of crossover from the F1 team. That makes it feel more like part of one big weekend.

The commentary was however utterly terrible. That's why they shouldn't use radio commentators for TV, they simply don't translate what their seeing for people who are also seeing it.

Dull dull dull. They sounded like they didn't want to be there. How can people sound so disinterested in their new jobs, a job they need to really push in order to keep the viewers and thus keep their jobs? The mind boggles.

Still - overall it was better than Eurosport's usual coverage starting on the 3rd red light and ending at the chequered flag...

You would think that the commentators might be pushing themselves harder as this is a great audition for the future BBC coverage.

#88 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 14:37

No, these guys aren't auditioning for the big time. If anything they need to learn less is more. It's TV, not radio.

#89 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,674 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 22:58

I've got to say it was a disappointing debut for the commentators: they had access to the pits (as opposed to the Eurosport guys calling the races from a TV set in North London somewhere) and yet had factual errors throughout, mispronounced a lot of names or called them by the wrong names altogether, and so on. Not to mention that they weren't terribly interesting.

Oh, and when Chris Goodwin claimed that Senna was clearly inexperienced compared to Parente I almost fell off my seat: I know he works for Bruno and wants to help him out, and also that the Brazilian has less time in a racing seat altogether, but a guy with a year and a half in GP2 clearly has more experience at this level that a guy on his debut to my mind...

#90 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:14

I'm putting it down to it being the first weekend, I think we forget how bad Eurosport was in 2005.

Is it me or do the main camera operators/tv directors take a coffee break during the GP2 races? There's only a few camera angles and none of them are very interesting.

Let me put it this way, how often do you see the cars close enough that you can tell me who they are sponsored by?

#91 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,674 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:45

I wonder about that too, and even more so when I see the end of year videos FOM puts together for the series using all the angles and amazing shots that don't get shown on TV...

#92 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,580 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 16:02

Yes, I agree fully.

Grosjean is only 6 points behind the leader with 18 races to go. And noone seems to be able to match him. I'm sure he'll be the next champion.

#93 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 20:21

"This has been a good weekend. We underlined our pace and proved we have the ability to mount a championship challenge, so I couldn't really ask for more. My goal today was to make up as many places as possible without taking any risks, and I did exactly that.
I had a scare on the opening lap - Zuber chopped across in front of me and I had to back off or I'd have pushed him off the track. After that I just drove at a controlled pace. There wasn't much I could do about the guys ahead and those behind weren't quick enough to catch me, so I just concentrated on not making any mistakes.
I had a few problems with my gearbox during the second part of the race - it missed a few upshifts and some of the downchanges were quite abrupt, but overall I'm absolutely delighted with the way things have gone. It gives us an excellent platform for the rest of the season."

#94 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 14:58

Here's a video of the Grosjean-Kobayashi incident.