Photo

McLaren invite neighbours over

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Teez

Teez

• 1,864 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:18

Amid the general acrimony and scandals of the past couple of years it's nice to read stories like this:

Super Aguri and Force India were invited to meet their new neighbours on Thursday when McLaren opened their doors for a tea party for their next-door teams. [...]

Source: Autosport.com Grapevine

Very nice of McLaren to do this. I usually come down hard on them (to say the least!), but I have to give kudos to the team this time for being welcoming and opening their doors to the 'little guys'. Well done, Team McLaren! :up:

Advertisement

#2 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:24

Yeh, while they were all at the tea party some McLaren agents slunk into the empty garages and pinched whatever data they could. Their wives could well be photocopying it right now!

#3 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:32

Was MaXXX invited for a cup of tea?

#4 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,891 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:39

Originally posted by Dragonfly

He was invited, but couldnt attend as he was tied up with other arrangements.

#5 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:44

Originally posted by Dragonfly

Originally yes, but after McLaren heard about the Spankgate scandal they withdraw the invitation. They did not want to give him his usual pre-tea spanking...

#6 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:51

Yeah, this was one of the most positive things to come out of McLaren in a while. :up:

#7 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,840 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:52

Originally posted by HSJ
Yeah, this was one of the most positive things to come out of McLaren in a while. :up:

You mean since Kimi. :rolleyes:

#8 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 18:00

Originally posted by se7en_24
You mean since Kimi. :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

I think I remember that when Super Aguri picked up some points for the first time, Ron sent a crate of Champers along? I think the Mac boys do this sort of thing quite regularly(?)

#9 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 18:03

Funny, i could only think this thread was about the cast of the somewhat once popular Oz soap visiting the McLaren pit garage, then thinking, thats strange, why didnt they do it during the melbourne weekend!

#10 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 18:07

haha! when they are back on their usual side of the pitlane next year i cant imagine the tea party making a repeat performance!

#11 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 20:25

Yeah, I still think that McLaren is a fan-friendly team. And it is extremely nice of them to invite their colleagues from Super Aguri and Force India. I hope that others will follow suit and that F1 paddock would become as friendly as it was in the 70s!

#12 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 20:31

Originally posted by Andrew, Ford &F1
Yeah, I still think that McLaren is a fan-friendly team. And it is extremely nice of them to invite their colleagues from Super Aguri and Force India. I hope that others will follow suit and that F1 paddock would become as friendly as it was in the 70s!

Dream on.

#13 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 20:34

Originally posted by giacomo
Dream on.

No need to. We're living the dream.

#14 Jason

Jason

• 4,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 20:36

A nice gesture by McLaren.

#15 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:00

Well halleluja, finally a nice optimistic news story about mclaren. Eventhough they where big in the red numbers i say: mclaren +1

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:03

Originally posted by SevenTwoSeven
Funny, i could only think this thread was about the cast of the somewhat once popular Oz soap visiting the McLaren pit garage, then thinking, thats strange, why didnt they do it during the melbourne weekend!

Maybe because they were not next to those teams in Oz.

#17 paffett4F1

paffett4F1

• 452 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:08

....and this is the first time the 'Brand Centre' has been used this year (it isn't used at the fly away races)

#18 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:09

Originally posted by Clatter

Maybe because they were not next to those teams in Oz.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:13

In Oz Mac were not at the end of the pit lane, their neighbours were BMW and Williams (I think).

Advertisement

#20 paffett4F1

paffett4F1

• 452 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:14

McLaren had the fifth garage in Oz so Force India and Super Aguri were not their neighbours there.

#21 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 21:33

nice gesture by McLaren, I feel kind of sorry for the team, after the spy saga. I hope they can rebuild their reputation they didn't deserve it but it happened, it will be very hard regaining reputation and may take as long as a decade to forget about it. Even as a Ferrari fan I don't think they deserved it, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

#22 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 22:05

sometimes your best work is wasted.....

:up:

#23 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,182 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 22:26

Originally posted by EvilPhil II

He was invited, but couldnt attend as he was tied up with other arrangements.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#24 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 22:27

"It was the first time I'd been inside the famous 'Brand Centre', and I was very impressed," he said. "And the apple juice was delicious - I gather it's produced to Ron Dennis's personal specification."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#25 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 22:38

All credit to them. Life must suck a whole load if you're working for SA at the moment, so a nice bit of the high life to chill out for a bit is deserved.

Doug

#26 DAT 3000

DAT 3000

• 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 23:29

they told the other teams to ignore the guy in the background frantically photocopying thier stuff.

#27 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 23:34

Yes it is nice to see this type of behavior. Let's hope there is more of it, hopefully others catch the spirit.

#28 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:08

Dont worry. At least a few of us here knew what you were referring to.

#29 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:15

A nice gesture by the team and possibly the first positive news about the team in quite a while. I do hope they keep their PR blitz (the Matt Bishop variety) to a very low level throughout the year and let their on-track performances speak.

#30 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:31

Originally posted by Buttoneer

I think I remember that when Super Aguri picked up some points for the first time, Ron sent a crate of Champers along? I think the Mac boys do this sort of thing quite regularly(?)

I believe it was Canada last year, Ron was thanking Sato for taking points off Alonso :p

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:35

PR

#32 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:37

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
PR

With Max Bishop in charge no!? Say it isn't so?!

#33 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:30

Yes, but it is a good, cheap way to get some PR. Much better than releasing yet another self-congratulatory press release, with a fake questions-n-answers session with phantom journalists thrown in for added effect..

#34 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:26

Originally posted by Buttoneer

He did that for Jordan when they got their first win too

#35 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:53

Originally posted by Clatter

In Oz Mac were not at the end of the pit lane, their neighbours were BMW and Williams (I think).

If anyone bar those who pointed it out, actualy read all of my post youd see i wasnt referring to where they were in the pitlane!

#36 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 17:58

Originally posted by giacomo
Dream on.

OK, I exagerated a bit when I said that the paddock would be as frriendly as in 70's, noone can bring those times back. But I do hope that others will follow suit ad that the paddock would become a bit friendlier. That's what I should have typed in my earlier post.

#37 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 18:03

If anyone bar those who pointed it out, actualy read all of my post youd see i wasnt referring to where they were in the pitlane!

But where they were in the pit lane was probably one of the reasons they didnt do it in OZ.

#38 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 18:21

Please read my post again. PLEASE!

I stated that i thought (thats me, thinking, not a general observation on anything other than that) that this post was about Mclaren inviting the cast of the once popular (maybe an understatement) Austrailian (thats a country near New zealand) televisual feast also known as 'NEIGHBOURS' to there pit garage.

Neighbours at one time had amongst its cast Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan and many other austrailian 'stars'. Most of which had appeared in various other low budget shows such as 'sons and daughters' and 'prisoner:cell block H' and later went on to star in other commercially viable multi season long runs of shows, such as the unforgettable 'Home and Away'

Now comes the hard part. As 'neighbours' is based in austrailia, it occured to me that for mclaren to invite the cast of said soap to their pit garage, why do it in Bahrain when the first race of the season was in.........Austrailia.

I never once asked about pit garages, or their position in relation to other teams, or anything of the sort.

Ok?

#39 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 18:23

Please read my post again. PLEASE!

I stated that i thought (thats me, thinking, not a general observation on anything other than that) that this post was about Mclaren inviting the cast of the once popular (maybe an understatement) Austrailian (thats a country near New zealand) televisual feast also known as 'NEIGHBOURS' to there pit garage.

Neighbours at one time had amongst its cast Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan and many other austrailian 'stars'. Most of which had appeared in various other low budget shows such as 'sons and daughters' and 'prisoner:cell block H' and later went on to star in other commercially viable multi season long runs of shows, such as the unforgettable 'Home and Away'

Now comes the hard part. As 'neighbours' is based in austrailia, it occured to me that for mclaren to invite the cast of said soap to their pit garage, why do it in Bahrain when the first race of the season was in.........Austrailia.

I never once asked about pit garages, or their position in relation to other teams, or anything of the sort.

Ok?

OK, sorry that went right over my head. Probably because I never watched it.

Advertisement

#40 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 18:28

No, but you had maybe heard of it :lol:

Well im glad thats cleared up!

*note to self. Explain all posts in more detail to avert similar confusion :clap:

#41 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:03

Poor old Ron. He´s damned if he does and damned if he doesn´t. Is it just my imagination or do I detect a softening of attitudes where he´s concerned since the FIA squeezed that 100 mil out of him? Maybe they did him a favour by bringing him back down to earth.
Another feather in Max´s cap? :lol: :cool:

#42 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:49

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Poor old Ron. He´s damned if he does and damned if he doesn´t. Is it just my imagination or do I detect a softening of attitudes where he´s concerned since the FIA squeezed that 100 mil out of him? Maybe they did him a favour by bringing him back down to earth.
Another feather in Max´s cap? :lol: :cool:

It is 'Poor old Ron' who is having the last laugh, whilst his nemesis is sweating waiting for the "hanging/spanking" on D-Day :wave:

#43 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:52

Tell you what they could do well taking some of the cream form SA and FI tech staff... I always though Mike Gazza would end up at McLaren sometime...

#44 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:00

Originally posted by vsubravet

It is 'Poor old Ron' who is having the last laugh, whilst his nemesis is sweating waiting for the "hanging/spanking" on D-Day :wave:

I'm not so sure yet. Let's see what Max got up his sleeve, something tells me he's prepared something. :)

#45 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:10

A "spanking" session for all the delegates of the EGA as 'ze punishment' for not being more supportive of him? :p

#46 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:10

:up: to McLaren for this positive gesture.
The fact that some have used this particular thread to bash McLaren is a bit unecessary IMO.