Originally posted by MichaelPM
All on softs. I think.

Yep :)

Advertisement

#52 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,427 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:29

Alonso says in spanish that the race strategy is not fabourable. Obiously he is lighter but the car is way better than before and he can pull something special.

Lets hope for a great fight tomorrow.

#53 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:30

Originally posted by kar
He's light, probably as light as Kubica was in Bahrain.

It was lap 16, if I recall. I think Alonso is lighter.

#54 vaavu

vaavu

• 142 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:32

Excluding mechanical issues, it is very very probable that Kimi will win it tomorrow.

Hopefully the race won't be too boring. :

#55 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,243 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:33

Originally posted by WOOT
I can only hope Alonso and Kimi take each other out in the first corner tomorrow.

funy how you were too cowardy to say that in the F2008 thread... :lol:

#56 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Raikkonen showing who's boss here, very impressed with Alonso (fumes or not) putting that Renault on the first row is very very good.
Massa not so good, but he has the car to make up for it in the race.

Webber and Trulli upheld their reputation in qualy and I am disappointed with Heidfeld .5 sec from Kubica.

The Macs were disappointing, I hope for them that they are loaded with fuel, but I am afraid they are going backwards where the other teams are improving.

About those outside the top 10, Honda :rolleyes: and the Force India improvement they showed yesterday was really very shortlived.

For tomorrow; a Ferrari 1-2, Alonso, Kubica and the Macs fighting for the remaining podium spot and the first points for Nelsinho.

#57 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Originally posted by kar
Have to say, Fernando showed his class today.

Might hate his attitude out of the car sometimes. But you cannot fault the guy for what he can do in it.

Wonderfully combative :up:

Got to second that. Out of the car last year he was tiresome and whiney, but he never gives less than 100% when he's in the car.

#58 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Like I have said previously, a lot of fans wanted Hamilton taken out in previous races and no one bats an eyelid. I say that for Kimi and everyone screams bloody murder.

There is a difference between laughing at Hamilton's failure and wishing him to crash out, I Hope Hamilton has a good clean race as he really needs a good result very badly.

#59 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Like I have said previously, a lot of fans wanted Hamilton taken out in previous races and no one bats an eyelid. I say that for Kimi and everyone screams bloody murder.

Yes but still, the sporting thing is to hope they all get through the first corner and we have a good race won on merit.

edit: dangerously close to agreeing with SlateGray :eek: :eek:

Advertisement

#60 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Originally posted by denthierry

funy how you were too cowardy to say that in the F2008 thread... :lol:

No. I was just considering a different alternative in response to someone's hypothetical situation where Massa jumps Alonso.

#61 Nukle

Nukle

• 190 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:34

Originally posted by Coral
I hope Alonso and Lewis Hamilton stay well away from one another this time!

Don´t forget Massa :stoned:

I think Alonso isn´t on fumes, in Q2 qualified 3.

#62 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Desperation from Alonso in an attempt to impress his countrymen. Bound to backfire tomorrow. At least he'll be in the pits early enough to ensure he isn't a mobile chicane for the real pacesetters. At least it was one way of making sure he beat his team mate - given his inability to throughout the rest of the weekend.

:lol:

#63 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Originally posted by SlateGray

There is a difference between laughing at Hamilton's failure and wishing him to crash out, I Hope Hamilton has a good clean race as he really needs a good result very badly.

Erm actually a lot of Ferrari fans wanted Alonso to take out Hamilton in races in 2007.

#64 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,243 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:35

Originally posted by bankoq
My geuss is 14.

And actually Fernando just ensured Kimi's win in tomorrow's race : Probably only Massa can challenge Raikkonen, so if he doesn't pass Alonso at the beginning the race is over.

i expect massa attacking kimi big time tomorrow.

#65 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,020 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:36

No fans want anyone taken out in a race, may be some posters do, but not fans.

:cool:

#66 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:37

Originally posted by airwise
Desperation from Alonso in an attempt to impress his countrymen. Bound to backfire tomorrow. At least he'll be in the pits early enough to ensure he isn't a mobile chicane for the real pacesetters. At least it was one way of making sure he beat his team mate - given his inability to throughout the rest of the weekend.

i thought Alonso was pretty fast in Q2 :wave: So no his not a mobile chicane :up:

#67 inaki

inaki

• 2,421 posts

Originally posted by AFCA
Alonso was waving a bit too quickly, he forgot about Raikkonen...

Alonso knew exactly that Kimi was the only possible driver to get P1 because was the only one doing his flyer behind him. He knew that anyway was a front row, review his comments in Press Conference

Originally posted by AFCA
Renault's improvement is clear but I hope they've thought of a serious strategy for the race, no points are there to be gained on Saturday...

They will know better than us what to do. With Alonso mixed in the front group, anything can happen

#68 BiH

BiH

• 2,303 posts

that was really exciting all the way to last second great qualifying probably the best this year.....this track really shows how close teams are with all the testing they do here.....heidfeld very disappointing compared to kubica.....kimi with good lap and massa had it until sector 3 I think kimi is fueled more then massa......mclaren seems to be working good with the prime tires while the option tire seems to give them very little improvement...

#69 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:38

Bitter? :lol: Check Alonso's Q2 position

So ham is on row 3 back with the crazy monkeys :) Perhaps Mac are on a 1 stopper?

#70 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:39

Bitter? :lol: Check Alonso's Q2 position

So ham is on row 3 back with the crazy monkeys :) Perhaps Mac are on a 1 stopper?

Q2 position means nothing when you are short fueled and your race strategy is compromised by back markers.

#71 Panch

Panch

• 439 posts

Originally posted by denthierry

i expect massa attacking kimi big time tomorrow.

I don´t.

#72 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Erm actually a lot of Ferrari fans wanted Alonso to take out Hamilton in races in 2007.

Show links or shut face

#73 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:40

I suggest you take a look at the Q2 times and compare Alonso's with those of both McLaren drivers, and also with Piquet Jr.

#74 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,606 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:41

hope fred can take the lead tomoz, be nice, and otherwise we got a boring race on the cards :|

#75 sopa

sopa

• 2,673 posts

Nobody of you mentions it, but the competition is extremly tight. Eight teams were within half a second in Q2. I'd say that BMW, Ferrari and McLaren advantage is gone. Five teams (Renault, Toyota, Red Bull, Honda, Williams) have almost caught them.

Eight best teams in Q2.
Ferrari 1:20.584
BMW +0.013
Renault +0.220
McLaren +0.237
Toyota +0.323
Red Bull +0.400
Honda +0.465
Williams +0.533

:eek: :smoking: :cool: Can you believe it? Almost anyone can fight for a top spot if they can find some extra tenths somehow or have a perfect weekend.

#76 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Show links or shut face

Yes like I'm going to search every thread. Here is a template

"Alonso crash into Hamilton in T1 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :eek: :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol: :lol: :cool: :cool: :up: :up: "

#77 mmmm

mmmm

• 140 posts

anyone, Kova had fastest sectors 1 and 2 - at least compared to Lewis. What happened in sector 3? Mistakes, pace....

#78 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:42

Is Ham 1 stopping? or just slow

#79 El_Capitán

El_Capitán

• 564 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:42

I am sorry dude but Hamilton is taking himself out. Lewis has the personality type that creates lotsa enemies and lotsa friends.

IMHO he looks better when he has his mouth closed, literally and figuratively.

Back to race results... Amazing improvement from Renault, light or not. Kimmi is en route, unless Lewis does a u turn, career wise, to another WDC. I hate to say it, but he deserves it more than anyone else. The guy rips the engines apart like noone else, but when going fast he is second to none. Kova and Hamilton more or less on a par, as expected.

Gotta go.

Advertisement

#80 modamas

modamas

• 345 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:43

Originally posted by sopa
Nobody of you mentions it, but the competition is extremly tight. Eight teams were within half a second in Q2. I'd say that BMW, Ferrari and McLaren advantage is gone. Five teams (Renault, Toyota, Red Bull, Honda, Williams) have almost caught them.

I think that has more to do with the track itself and that all teams know it very very well. Gaps will increase again in turkey.

#81 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Never thought I'd write this, but..

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: Alonso, totally awesome. My guess is that he's light, but it doesn't really matter considering the car he is in, compliments :up: . A big improvement. Nice to see him up there.

And, of course, :up: :up: to Kimis pole lap as well. I think he's lighter than Massa, but pole position is very important here.

#82 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,117 posts

I think Kubica could win in Monaco. Imo the BMW has the best traction and grip in slow corners, noticed it since Melbourne in onboard footage. It seems a very drivable car. And today he set the fastest s3 time in quali a 27.7. If he gets pole he could win it.

#83 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Yes like I'm going to search every thread. Here is a template

"Alonso crash into Hamilton in T1 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :eek: :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol: :lol: :cool: :cool: :up: :up: "

Shut face was to much to hope for :|

#84 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:44

Originally posted by kar
Have to say, Fernando showed his class today.

Might hate his attitude out of the car sometimes. But you cannot fault the guy for what he can do in it.

Wonderfully combative :up:

Good to see him and the team inspired :up: hope they are not too light.

Hope that he can let Kimi run away at the start :D and give us fantastic battles with Massa, Kubica and Hammy

#85 inaki

inaki

• 2,421 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:45

1./ Wait till tomorrow and let's see how things occur.
2./ Your comments continue to demonstrate that you're a pure Alonso hater. You'll suffer a lot in the upcoming future.

#86 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,521 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:45

I'm happy for Kubica, i don't think he's light, he's very very fast in sector 3 (which is good :smoking: ), and i think there is a podium oportunity for tomorrow.

Don't know what happened to Heidfeld but I hope he will climb up through the grid.

#87 sopa

sopa

• 2,673 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:46

Originally posted by modamas

I think that has more to do with the track itself and that all teams know it very very well. Gaps will increase again in turkey.

Probably, but competition has never been so tight even at Barcelona in the past.;) Can you remember something like that ever before?

#88 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,117 posts

Originally posted by modamas

But at least it shows the true potential of the cars if they all get the setup right or not, since on this track most setups would be optimsed and its the true car pace. It shows how easily any of those midfield teams could have a good weekend in future if they find a good setup and the others don't.

WOOT is just.. :

#89 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

In the press conference:Kimi "i don't even know where mclaren ended up" :lol: Looks like kimi doesnt see Mclaren as a threat :)

#90 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:47

Originally posted by Jamelon
Proven: Alonso makes any car at least 6 tenths faster. This statement can now be considered a theorem.

:drunk: Seriously, he seem to motivate the team somewhat though. 2nd place on the grid is still 2nd place, Renault weren't ever close to that last year. How much is down to the car improving and how much is fuel loads remains to be seen. Still, good effort.

#91 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,797 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:47

Desperate, err its a bloody great idea, marketing, support, ego massage, doubt in the other teams, all of that shit.

Due to the track conditions and all teams having to find some balance out there Renault may have done the best job of all teams in finding that balance so who knows he may be heavier than some expect.

#92 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,020 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:48

Very interesting Q, the cars are very close, so close that some of those further down in Q3, may be there due a small mistake here and there on their fast lap.

For all his poor personality Alonso did a super super job, placing a Renault on the front row and being that close to Pole is a testament to how good he really is, I do not believe that Renault will sacrifice a race in order for a Q glory run, he is likely lightish, but in no way on fumes.

Raikkonen managed the Pole but only just, I expect that he and Massa will finish 1 - 2, baring any issues in the race, but the battle for 3rd will be great with Alonso, Kubica, Hamilton and Kovalainen there through the race. Heidfeld seem to be struggling the last two races, he needs to up his game or Kubica will be made number 1, and Heidfeld cycled out of the team.

Trulli his usual great Q, likewise for Webber.

Piquet (who have his own personality issues), show that Renault have made a real tangible step forward, with the first 3 races in mind the team today outdid anything I had expected from them this early in the season.

The season as a whole though is a Ferrari season, unless they have issues Raikkonen or Massa could win the remaining races of the season.

McLaren seem to be in some sort of trouble, possible that Melbourne was a false dawn, that Hamilton nailed a weekend, with a car which is not right there, possible that the drivers do not react well to each other, or may even be that they are suffering bad luck. They do need to start bringing both cars home in the top of the races soon, if they have plans to battle for the Championships.

Williams HUGELY disappointing.

Honda where I expected them.

Coulthard is in his last F1 season for Red Bull.

Force India have yet to really get Q correct.

Bourdais is showing a lot earlier in the season than I expected it, both Sebastians are very good drivers, and the performance by Bourdais show how moronic the teams can be about talent, he continue to excell to the best of his cars ability, have won championship after championship, and only now he gets the chance.

Not a lot to say about Super Aguri, I hope that they somehow survive, but their failure is actually good, since it show the A-team, B-team model run by Honda does not work. If they were willing to sell at a loss there would be plenty of buyers, they are simply setting the price to high.

:cool:

#93 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Originally posted by mursuka80
In the press conference:Kimi "i don't even know where mclaren ended up" :lol: Looks like kimi doesnt see Mclaren as a threat :)

I thought Kimi said he was just as cool as Hamilton :D

#94 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Originally posted by HoldenRT
I think Kubica could win in Monaco. Imo the BMW has the best traction and grip in slow corners, noticed it since Melbourne in onboard footage. It seems a very drivable car. And today he set the fastest s3 time in quali a 27.7. If he gets pole he could win it.

Yeah, my money is on Kubica for Monaco. That BMW is very nimble on the tight and twisty stuff.

#95 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

WTH is Heidfeld's problem, again lagging behind Kubica :evil: I think BMW should start looking for another Kubica class driver to replace Nick. :up:

Felipe made an error on his last lap in sector 3, that I think cost him P2, if not the pole itself.

Fernando will likely end up in 3rd after first corner (if there are no accidents with Felipe!), and then I expect him to fall back and finish ~5 or 7th-ish.

I expect Mclaren drivers to move forward strongly, 3rd and 4th is there for the taking.

Glock is not everything Toyota hoped he would be :(

Why was everyone in the Super Agony team congratulating Davidson after Q1? For qualifying 21st?!!
:rotfl:

David Coulthard Posted Image

#96 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:49

Q2 position means nothing when you are short fueled and your race strategy is compromised by back markers.

Sour Lewis fans, you gotta love em. Just to rub it in, with regards to rookie seasons, Jacques Villeneuve had a similar rookie season to Lewis, then won the title in his second year. Given his inability to set up a car, Lewis is not going to match Villeneuve's record. :lol:

#97 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,797 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:49

Originally posted by mursuka80

That made me laugh out loud, and his facial expression was like pfft who cares about McLaren, very funny from the ice man even though he probably doesn't even know it.

#98 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:50

Alonso will pit about lap 3-4 laps earlier than others.- how far teams are between each other will be seen on sun with fuel strategies.

#99 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by El_Capitán

Amazing improvement from Renault, light or not.

How is this an "amazing" improvement when NPJr is still qualifying 10th? They have taken a small step forward at best, long way to go.

Advertisement

#100 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by Josta

Sour Lewis fans, you gotta love em. Just to rub it in, with regards to rookie seasons, Jacques Villeneuve had a similar rookie season to Lewis, then won the title in his second year. Given his inability to set up a car, Lewis is not going to match Villeneuve's record. :lol:

In his rookie season Jacques treated his WDC teammate with the proper respect :up: