Spanish GP 2008 - post qualifying comments

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#101 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by airwise
At least it was one way of making sure he beat his team mate - given his inability to throughout the rest of the weekend.

:lol:

Actually Piquet only beat Alonso once this weekend - FP2 by 0.013secs.

Advertisement

#102 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:51

Will be interesting to see how far Alonso will drop after first stops.

Kimi has said whole weekend that car has good balance.

BMW vs Mclaren will ne interesting to see too. Otherwise it might be bit boring race...

#103 pUs

pUs

• 2,553 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:52

Originally posted by PassWind

That made me laugh out loud, and his facial expression was like pfft who cares about McLaren, very funny from the ice man even though he probably doesn't even know it.

Damn, I only had RTL's coverage today, german dubs over the drivers voices, and cut short as well. Only got to hear fragments of Alonso and Kimi.. are the full transcripts available somewhere?

#104 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,318 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:53

Good work by Alonso, Webber (no P3 running!), Trulli, Nakajima and Bourdais.

DC...lol?

#105 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Originally posted by wj_gibson

I suggest you take a look at the Q2 times and compare Alonso's with those of both McLaren drivers, and also with Piquet Jr.

Exactly - look at Piquet Jnr - a more accurate reflection of the true position of the Renault.

Alonso did two balls out low fuel runs in Q2. Everyone improved 0.5s on their second run. The leading cars from Ferrari, BMW and Mclaren didn't even bother with a second run. You need to look closer. What is surprising is that Nelson Piquet Snr allowed his son to be made to look like a monkey by Flav.

#106 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Time differences between Q2 and Q3 by driver. Last three columns are in Bulgarian - times in seconds Q2 & Q3 and difference.
Posted Image

#107 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,579 posts

Last season was so boringly predicatable its good to have some unpredictability back. Alonso suddenly snatching pole, Nick so far back, the McLarens so far back.. the only predicatable thing was Williams struggling on the true aero circuit. I don't know if they have ever made Q3 at Barcelona since the new qualifying rules.

#108 pUs

pUs

• 2,553 posts

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Will be interesting to see how far Alonso will drop after first stops.

Kimi has said whole weekend that car has good balance.

BMW vs Mclaren will ne interesting to see too. Otherwise it might be bit boring race...

Actually, I don't think Renault put him out on a glory run. They shouldn't. If they did then.. well. Dissapointment comes to mind

#109 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Originally posted by sopa
Nobody of you mentions it, but the competition is extremly tight. Eight teams were within half a second in Q2. I'd say that BMW, Ferrari and McLaren advantage is gone. Five teams (Renault, Toyota, Red Bull, Honda, Williams) have almost caught them.

Eight best teams in Q2.
Ferrari 1:20.584
BMW +0.013
Renault +0.220
McLaren +0.237
Toyota +0.323
Red Bull +0.400
Honda +0.465
Williams +0.533

:eek: :smoking: :cool: Can you believe it? Almost anyone can fight for a top spot if they can find some extra tenths somehow or have a perfect weekend.

Qualifying in F1 today is a joke. Pole doesn't mean anything like it used to. On Race pace Ferrari is in a league of its own compared to the other teams. Although the gap is closer, in the race if Ferrari have reliability they can score 1-2 quite easily. Personally I feel that Ferrari will have an easier time capturing both titles this year than last year. Season could be over by September if the other teams don't really close the gap on race pace. It nice to see teams improving as the season goes along. BMW and Renault have made great strides. Mclaren are going the opposite direction at the moment.

#110 BunnyK

BunnyK

• 444 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:54

Originally posted by HoldenRT
I think Kubica could win in Monaco. Imo the BMW has the best traction and grip in slow corners, noticed it since Melbourne in onboard footage. It seems a very drivable car. And today he set the fastest s3 time in quali a 27.7. If he gets pole he could win it.

I found really strange how the BMW sounded, it looked like it had traction control.

s!

#111 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:54

Originally posted by niallmckiernan

Actually Piquet only beat Alonso once this weekend - FP2 by 0.013secs.

And they had been within a tenth of each other on all runs except for Flav and Fred's Fantasy Finale.

#112 pUs

pUs

• 2,553 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:55

Originally posted by Dragonfly
Time differences between Q2 and Q3 by driver. Last three columns are in Bulgarian - times in seconds Q2 & Q3 and difference.
Posted Image

Interesting.. I'm a bit drunk at the moment :drunk: but a quick glance says that the top 4 actually have quite similair fuel loads. Not much separating them from Q2 respectively..

Edit: Kimi seem to be very lightly fuelled, judging from Q2/Q3 lap times..

#113 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:55

since ron dennis claims well only see the true picture of pace in barcelona id say mclaren have got themselves a huge problem.

Well done fernando!!!!YES!! YES!!! YES!!!

#114 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:56

Originally posted by mursuka80
In the press conference:Kimi "i don't even know where mclaren ended up" :lol: Looks like kimi doesnt see Mclaren as a threat :)

Yes that made me laugh too, more so knowing that Kimi was still in that team in 2006 :lol:

#115 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,538 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:57

Alonso seemed shameful in the pres. He propably knows he has very little fuel and didnt belong there, no chance for a podium.

Even so it's good to see Renault slowly improving.

#116 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 13:57

Originally posted by mmmm
anyone, Kova had fastest sectors 1 and 2 - at least compared to Lewis. What happened in sector 3? Mistakes, pace....

telemetry?....

#117 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:00

The point about Alonso I would like to raise is that even if he is carrying about 3-5 laps less fuel, he can still disrupt everyone behind him and that includes Massa.

Just imagine a scenario where Kimi gets a good start and so does Alonso, Kimi keeps his place and Alonso still occupies 2nd. Who can pass him? I don't think anyone behind will be able to and that means for the first stint of the race they will be stuck behind him costing them bundles of time.

Alonso can then rejoin and still be in contention for a podium.

#118 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:01

Yeah, Kimi on Mclarens was a good one.

I wonder what is the pace of BMW, gap between RK and NH is unusually big so it's hard to judge the car. Comparing Q2 vs Q3 it looks like Massa and Kubica are heavier than the guys in front of them.

#119 Pep

Pep

• 1,046 posts

Exactly - look at Piquet Jnr - a more accurate reflection of the true position of the Renault.

Alonso did two balls out low fuel runs in Q2. Everyone improved 0.5s on their second run. The leading cars from Ferrari, BMW and Mclaren didn't even bother with a second run. You need to look closer. What is surprising is that Nelson Piquet Snr allowed his son to be made to look like a monkey by Flav.

That's not true. I remember that at least Heikki and Heidfield did a second run in Q2. Hamilton aborted the second run after the 2nd sector, as he was safe. None of them beat Alonso.

We'll see tomorrow up to what extent, but Renault and Alonso are genuinely quick (bad news for an Alonso hater like you).

Advertisement

#120 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

great job by alonso and kimi
i know im a webber fanboy but u gotta tip your hat to him, no 3rd practise running and goes and wacks it on 7th.

DC = lol

#121 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:02

Originally posted by SlateGray

In his rookie season Jacques treated his WDC teammate with the proper respect :up:

Who was the WDC teammate he had in 1996 Slategay?

#122 NSV

NSV

• 268 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:03

Originally posted by Sébastien

Who was the WDC teammate he had in 1996 Slategay?

Future wdc, indeed, Hill.

#123 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:04

Originally posted by Dalton007
There's a race tomorrow. :drunk:

Only if Alonso plays moving chicane in front of Massa, otherwise, a boring and easy 1-2 for Ferrari.

#124 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

I'm sure Heidfeld had a second run in Q2, it looked for a while like he might not make it to Q3.

#125 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Originally posted by NSV

Future wdc, indeed, Hill.

future, that's the keyword.

#126 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:06

Looks like Hamilton is lighter than the guys around him. This is probably why he was upset.

#127 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:06

Originally posted by wingwalker
Looks like Hamilton is lighter than the guys around him. This is probably why he was upset.

He was? I didn't really notice anything.

#128 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:08

A car can go ast fast as it can go. If Piquet´s position showed how fast Renault is, you´d have Alonso 9th. It is not possible to exceed the capabilities of car. Considering the fact Alonso is not the only fast driver out there, I highly doubt all the others failed so miserably in Q3. Great effort by Fernando, but this fanboy logic (using struggling/underperforming teammate to "measure" how fast the car is, assuming our heroes pull extra tenths out of thin air) is BS.

#129 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:12

Originally posted by pUs

Interesting.. I'm a bit drunk at the moment :drunk: but a quick glance says that the top 4 actually have quite similair fuel loads. Not much separating them from Q2 respectively..

Edit: Kimi seem to be very lightly fuelled, judging from Q2/Q3 lap times..

Too many unknown varables with the qualifying format. Kimi didn't push to the limit in Q2, Heidfeld was on the verge of fallingout, Massa made a mistake in his final hot lap ...
Anyway good drive by Alonso and visible progress by Renault.
Watched Kimi's on-board shots during Friday practice and listened to the engine noticing he's mush smoother on the throttle and the wheel. Keep throttle levelled in the turns at higher revs compared to other drivers and cars.

#130 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,218 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:16

Originally posted by Spunout

A car can go ast fast as it can go. If Piquet´s position showed how fast Renault is, you´d have Alonso 9th. It is not possible to exceed the capabilities of car. Considering the fact Alonso is not the only fast driver out there, I highly doubt all the others failed so miserably in Q3. Great effort by Fernando, but this fanboy logic (using struggling/underperforming teammate to "measure" how fast the car is, assuming our heroes pull extra tenths out of thin air) is BS.

No it's not, it's a clear sign that both cars have improved dramatically and it's not just an on-the-fumes effect.
Besides Piquet is certainly much heavier since he put a much better lap together in Q2 and Q1.

#131 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke

• 880 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:16

Excellent performance by Renault. I will be shocked if Alonso pits on the same lap or even 1-2 laps ahead of Kimi. If he does then WOW!

#132 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 822 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:19

I don't expect Alonso to pit before lap 15, but we'll see tomorrow.

I haven't seen anything from the McLarens suggesting they are quicker than the Renaults.

I think Renault have played the "different strategies" game. Alonso is relatively light and Piquet relatively heavy. That way they should have a good race tomorrow with one of their drivers, at least.

I can see Alonso finishing 5th tomorrow.

#133 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Originally posted by Bluesmoke
Excellent performance by Renault. I will be shocked if Alonso pits on the same lap or even 1-2 laps ahead of Kimi. If he does then WOW!

More like 5 laps.

#134 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Originally posted by Nitropower

No it's not, it's a clear sign that both cars have improved dramatically and it's not just an on-the-fumes effect.
Besides Piquet is certainly much heavier since he put a much better lap together in Q2 and Q1.

I think you misunderstood my point.

#135 cathal

cathal

• 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:20

Ah gret lap by Fernando, :clap: Ferrari's are by far the team to beat this weekend.

The renault may not be as quick as the Ferrari but Schumi will admit that it aint easy to get past Fernando. Watch out Kimi

#136 vaavu

vaavu

• 142 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:20

Originally posted by pUs
Kimi seem to be very lightly fuelled, judging from Q2/Q3 lap times..

That would be the conclusion from the time difference between Q2 and Q3. However, Kimi had only one attempt in Q2. Further, his time was not too good - it was slower than his Q1 time. Therefore, I believe that Kimi's Q2 time is not that representative in that comparison.

I really cannot say who is heavier, Massa or Kimi. It could be either way.

#137 Dark Monkey

Dark Monkey

• 137 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:23

Since FA's first stint will be short, I guess they'll put him on softs for the start, ain't it?

#138 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:23

Originally posted by vaavu

That would be the conclusion from the time difference between Q2 and Q3. However, Kimi had only one attempt in Q2. Further, his time was not too good - it was slower than his Q1 time. Therefore, I believe that Kimi's Q2 time is not that representative in that comparison.

I really cannot say who is heavier, Massa or Kimi. It could be either way.

Kimi has been in another league all weekend.. He's damn fast... just make an average of all the laps run for the Barca weekend so far...

#139 Jaybee

Jaybee

• 517 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:26

McLaren usually start races with a substantial fuel load but the point was made by the ITV team that, after the practice sessions, they were looking at qualifying BEHIND the BMWs and possibly even a Renault and were therefore more likely to fuel their cars lighter than usual. Sooooo - we either have the Macs on heavy fuel loads, hoping to 1-stop but giving Webber, Trulli and Heidfeld a chance of passing them in the early corners or else they will have to pit-stop earlier than their rivals and take their chances in the mid-race melee.

Advertisement

#140 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:31

1 stop McLarens :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
no way none of the front runners, I very much doubt it.

#141 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,655 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:32

Originally posted by Jaybee
McLaren usually start races with a substantial fuel load but the point was made by the ITV team that, after the practice sessions, they were looking at qualifying BEHIND the BMWs and possibly even a Renault and were therefore more likely to fuel their cars lighter than usual. Sooooo - we either have the Macs on heavy fuel loads, hoping to 1-stop but giving Webber, Trulli and Heidfeld a chance of passing them in the early corners or else they will have to pit-stop earlier than their rivals and take their chances in the mid-race melee.

:lol:

#142 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,232 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:32

Originally posted by LukeM
great job by alonso and kimi
i know im a webber fanboy but u gotta tip your hat to him, no 3rd practise running and goes and wacks it on 7th.

DC = lol

Everyone laughs at DC but the gap to Webber is around the same as last year, its just that the cars are tighter in time this year IMO. When the gaps were close last year Webber was moslty on the slower tyre.

My vote goes for the Japanese driver in the Williams, Nakajima. Rosberg is supposed to be a great isn't he, and now a Japanese driver has beaten him and was not that far from T3.

On the second level were the usual culprits although my feeling that the R28 might not be so good in race trim is not based on anything but the feeling that Renault like to make things great for Fernando in his GP. Hopefully I am wrong though and the R28 has race pace as well.

#143 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:38

No way Mclarens are one stopping. That would mean they have found, geez, at least 0.5 over BMW since Bahrain. And if they had done that they would be sitting on the front row, there is no pointing in gambling a one stopper when you have a fast car.

#144 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,058 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:45

Alonso lap 16
Kubica 19
Raikkonen 20
Massa and Hamilton 21
Kovalainen and Piquet 22
Heidfeld 23

#145 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Brilliant lap from Alonso but sadly he's on fumes.
His Q2 lap was made on the softer tyre while all the other cars around him drove on the harder tyre. The soft tyre is about 0.6-0.8 secs faster on a single lap.

So you can't point to his Q2 pace as an indicator of his fuel load in Q3.

#146 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug

• 287 posts

Alonso did two balls out low fuel runs in Q2. Everyone improved 0.5s on their second run. The leading cars from Ferrari, BMW and Mclaren didn't even bother with a second run. You need to look closer.

Actually everyone except Kimi and Kubica did two runs, and Alonsos first run was only 2 tenths off their times. You need to look closer and stop talking rubbish. You are obviously upset at Renault now beating Mclaren so in the future its best that you take a break to cool down before you post here.

#147 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,655 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:48

Originally posted by rodlamas
Alonso lap 16
Kubica 19
Raikkonen 20
Massa and Hamilton 21
Kovalainen and Piquet 22
Heidfeld 23

Alonso - lap 14

Kubica/Webber/Piquet - lap 18

Kimi/ Hamilton - lap 19

Massa/Kova - lap 20

Nick lap 21

#148 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:49

Originally posted by rodlamas
Alonso lap 16
Kubica 19
Raikkonen 20
Massa and Hamilton 21
Kovalainen and Piquet 22
Heidfeld 23

I think that's about right.

+1.

#149 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug

• 287 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:50

Originally posted by beancounter
Brilliant lap from Alonso but sadly he's on fumes.
His Q2 lap was made on the softer tyre while all the other cars around him drove on the harder tyre. The soft tyre is about 0.6-0.8 secs faster on a single lap.

So you can't point to his Q2 pace as an indicator of his fuel load in Q3.

There is not much difference between the tyre compounds maybe a few tenths. The gap you speak of is impossible. I also doubt the others were not on softs. Nick was on softs for his second run im sure.

#150 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 14:51

as exciting the qualifying was... till the last second of it.... the press conference afterwards, with Kimi talking.... I felt like I was going to fall asleep.... what a monotone!.... :lol: when you hear him talking you'd never think he took part in such an exciting qualifying. The guy is an incredible contrast.