Photo

FIA President: Mosley or Todt?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: FIA President: Mosley or Todt? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Max Mosley (21 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Jean Tody (35 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:41

I am curious which of these two people would prefer to lead the FIA?

With the current political maelstrom it seems very possible Bernie is trying to manufacture a situation where Jean Todt slips into the presidents seat.

So given the controversy of Mosley's presidency and more recently some apparent disgust at his personal life, which of the two is preferable as President?

*Can a mod please edit the poll, I stuffed up Todt's name :)*

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:42

and that's a choice?

#3 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:44

Originally posted by Owen
and that's a choice?

For some fans a really bad one, which is kinda my point.

Todt seems like being the candidate most likely to take over if Mosley is forced out, or opts out.

Given two bad choices (if you are a McLaren fan for example), which is the more preferable?

It's an interesting exercise I think. It would be like me having to choose between Ron Dennis and Jackie Stewart (I'd pick the former).

#4 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:46

Originally posted by kar

For some fans a really bad one, which is kinda my point.

Todt seems like being the candidate most likely to take over if Mosley is forced out, or opts out.

Given two bad choices (if you are a McLaren fan for example) which is the more preferable?

It's an interesting exercise I think. It would be like me having to chose between Ron Dennis and Jackie Stewart (I'd pick the former).

Shame there's no option for 'neither'. I honestly cannot pick between them. :lol:

#5 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:46

But surely for the 'good of the sport', given revelations about Max's private life, it's a no brainer?

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:48

This is the same method Max has been using to get many of his rules passed that have done so much damage to the sport.

Choosing the lesser of 2 evils is not a choice.

#7 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:48

Originally posted by kar
But surely for the 'good of the sport', given revelations about Max's private life, it's a no brainer?

But for it to qualify as a 'sport' it needs to have a fair and level playing ground. Which Todt cannot give us. So you're asking me to pick between two options that both damage the sport. Not much of a choice.

#8 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:50

Originally posted by Clatter
This is the same method Max has been using to get many of his rules passed that have done so much damage to the sport.

That is a great point, and the one that made me wonder about the purpose behind Bernie's meeting with the teams. He basically put that position on the table, we can get rid of Max is you're all unanimous and then Jean Todt will step in. Otherwise Max will stay, make your minds up.

That screams Mosley machinations to me.

#9 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:52

Originally posted by kar

That is a great point, and the one that made me wonder about the purpose behind Bernie's meeting with the teams. He basically put that position on the table, we can get rid of Max is you're all unanimous and then Jean Todt will step in. Otherwise Max will stay, make your minds up.

If that really happened then it seems like a pretty pointless exercise to me.

#10 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:02

Originally posted by Owen

But for it to qualify as a 'sport' it needs to have a fair and level playing ground. Which Todt cannot give us. So you're asking me to pick between two options that both damage the sport. Not much of a choice.

But where are we going to find somebody with sufficient in-depth knowledge of the sport if it isn't somebody who has (ever?) worked for one of the teams?

Sure, I can understand how Todt gives you concerns, in the same way as Dennis, Haug or Whitmarsh gives me concerns, but I have a feeling finding somebody who could be regarded by everybody as being independent, but has the knowledge and clout necessary to do the job, is going to be difficult, even impossible, to find.

How long would one need to have stopped working for any current team for them to be eligible?

#11 secessionman

secessionman

• 347 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:10

I'm afraid this poll in itself just looks like more Mosley propaganda.

The pro-Mosley faction will vote for him, but a huge proportion of the anti-Mosley faction just won't vote at all.

If this poll got any kind of momentum then it might give certain people false justification of Mosley's 'popularity'

#12 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:11

Voted for Jean Tody, whoever he is :lol:

Seriously, I think he would be a better president than Max.

#13 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:16

Good poll :up:
Have other problems though. Dinner. I have a piece of haddock in the rubbish bin that I could brush off, maybe re-fry even, and eat it with some sand that I found in my daughters shoe. Or I can simply boil one of her used diapers. Decisions, decisions....

#14 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:22

i f brundle is allowed to be itv commentator after crashing into a track marshall whilst ignoring yellow flags, then mosley should be allowed to stay and visit as many dungeons in his PRIVATE time as he wants without being haunted by double standard having brundle fans.

#15 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:23

:rotfl: :rotfl: Who is tody? ;)

I'm voteing for her, she sounds like the righ kinda girl to be FIA pres LOL...

#16 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:25

Originally posted by dawg_7529
i f brundle is allowed to be itv commentator after crashing into a track marshall whilst ignoring yellow flags, then mosley should be allowed to stay and visit as many dungeons in his PRIVATE time as he wants without being haunted by double standard having brundle fans.

I think it's time DC leaves the cockpit and takes the FIA presidency. :)

#17 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:26

Originally posted by kar
It's an interesting exercise I think. It would be like me having to choose between Ron Dennis and Jackie Stewart (I'd pick the former).

Its more like asking you to chose between Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh... LOL

Id choose Max, at least hes a laugh, and after a mass debate and you can always enjoy a good cuppa with him ;)...

#18 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:30

Originally posted by kar

So first you imagine how that meeting MIGHT have went, and then accuse them of using max machinations, whatever that means?

Please stay away from illegal substances will ya.

#19 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:30

Its more like asking you to chose between Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh... LOL

Gosh I'd pick Ron over Whitmarsh in a heart beat. :eek:

Advertisement

#20 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,019 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:31

How about an option for not one or the other as they are far to pro Ferrari biased.

Max sux at the job as would the todt

I did not vote

#21 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:33

Originally posted by kar

Gosh I'd pick Ron over Whitmarsh in a heart beat. :eek:

I forget you bizzare hatred of Martin Whitmarsh LOL.... :lol: :lol:

#22 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:37

Originally posted by Perigee

But where are we going to find somebody with sufficient in-depth knowledge of the sport if it isn't somebody who has (ever?) worked for one of the teams?

Sure, I can understand how Todt gives you concerns, in the same way as Dennis, Haug or Whitmarsh gives me concerns, but I have a feeling finding somebody who could be regarded by everybody as being independent, but has the knowledge and clout necessary to do the job, is going to be difficult, even impossible, to find.

How long would one need to have stopped working for any current team for them to be eligible?

The FIA covers a great deal more than just F1, so why should any search be limited to just F1?

The scary thing is that on paper JT would be the right person as he has worked and succeded in a number of motorsport diciplines, but every decision he made in regards to F1 would be viewed with suspicion.

#23 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:41

Neither.

One is in an untenable position. One would be an inappropriate posting.

It needs an F1 fan, a business man, a gentleman, and a respected individual to head the FIA. Neither Mosley or Todt tick all those boxes imho.

Doug

#24 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:44

Those are two terrible choices.

#25 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:44

Originally posted by Dragonfly

To crash the FIA into pieces? :lol:

#26 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:45

Mr. Mosley until October 2009, Jean Todt to take it from there :up:

#27 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:46

Originally posted by Dragonfly

Yeh but someone could overtake him for that position at the last minute and he wouldn't see them coming.*

*satire, lowest form of wit

#28 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,648 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:15

Originally posted by secessionman
I'm afraid this poll in itself just looks like more Mosley propaganda.

The pro-Mosley faction will vote for him, but a huge proportion of the anti-Mosley faction just won't vote at all.

If this poll got any kind of momentum then it might give certain people false justification of Mosley's 'popularity'

I think you've hit the nail on the head exactly.

#29 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:26

Originally posted by se7en_24
I think you've hit the nail on the head exactly.

It highlights in a way the role politics is playing in the Mosley controversy as opposed to the sex scandal. So far, for 50% of people, the sex scandal is less important than political expediency.

And I think that is an interesting thing given the circumstances.

#30 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:32

Originally posted by kar

It highlights in a way the role politics is playing in the Mosley controversy as opposed to the sex scandal. So far for 50% of people the sex scandal is less important that political expediency.

It highlights absolutely nothing at all. Add a third option "Someone else" and you see some highlighting. If 80% or so thinks that neither Max or Todt should be president - what would that highlight? I guess it would highlight something that you desperately try not to see?

#31 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,019 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:32

Originally posted by kar

It highlights in a way the role politics is playing in the Mosley controversy as opposed to the sex scandal. So far, for 50% of people, the sex scandal is less important than political expediency.

No conclusion of any value can be drawn from this flawed poll.

#32 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:37

The general argument being put forward is that Mosley cannot continue his job 'for the good of the sport', ostensibly, because of revelations about his private life. If you genuinely believe this, therefore, no matter how obnoxious you think Todt, you must believe his presidency would be less damaging to the sport than Mosley's.

If you don't really give a bit of a toss about spankgate, or it isn't that important then the thought of Todt's politics might be revolting enough for you to think well maybe Mosley is more preferable.

This isn't just a concocted scenario, it's the very scenario facing F1 team bosses. And if the weekend papers are to be believed one of the reasons Williams refused to join in with other teams speaking out against Mosley. It seems the alternative is even less palatable.

So, like the choices or not, this is very much the issue the sport faces right now.

#33 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,019 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:49

Todt is not the only option other than Mosely

#34 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by SlateGray

it is here :lol:

#35 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by SlateGray

This is true, but the BBC reported Ecclestone saying it was Todt that was locked in, it's just a matter of when, not if. Hurrying Molsey on will only speed it up.

Seems a pretty strong indication of what is going on behind the scenes.

One source told BBC Sport that Ecclestone told the team bosses that former Ferrari sporting director Jean Todt was "locked on" to replace Mosley, it was just a question of how quickly they wanted him in.

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/7369696.stm

You don't have to like the choices, but these are the ones that seem apparently put forward to the teams. And that makes it logical for the poll to be over those two.

#36 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:52

Originally posted by kar
The general argument being put forward is that Mosley cannot continue his job 'for the good of the sport', ostensibly, because of revelations about his private life. If you genuinely believe this, therefore, no matter how obnoxious you think Todt, you must believe his presidency would be less damaging to the sport than Mosley's.

If you don't really give a bit of a toss about spankgate, or it isn't that important then the thought of Todt's politics might be revolting enough for you to think well maybe Mosley is more preferable.

This isn't just a concocted scenario, it's the very scenario facing F1 team bosses. And if the weekend papers are to be believed one of the reasons Williams refused to join in with other teams speaking out against Mosley. It seems the alternative is even less palatable.

So, like the choices or not, this is very much the issue the sport faces right now.

HeHeHe I want Whitmarsh to be put foward now ;)....

#37 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:54

Maybe all the F1 team principals should form an FIA 'Polit Bureau' :lol: that way majority vote wins and nobody can be accused of bias one way or the other. Who needs a President anyway, we all know its the shop floor that run the show :p

#38 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:58

Originally posted by Chiara
Maybe all the F1 team principals should form an FIA 'Polit Bureau' :lol: that way majority vote wins and nobody can be accused of bias one way or the other. Who needs a President anyway, we all know its the shop floor that run the show :p

:up: :up: :up: With no stupid unfair power of veto!!!

#39 Jacquesback

Jacquesback

• 1,678 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 14:41

Originally posted by Chiara

:up:

Advertisement

#40 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 15:00

I actually think that Todt would actually be a good president, but for the good of the sport it can not be allowed to happen, it will blow right up with the past accusations of FIA / Ferrari conclusion and will go to a long way to confirming it, that after a pro-ferrari president an ex-ferrari boss is installed, how will fans off other teams react when for the last decade we have being watching a rigged series where the leading team is given a handup by the president. Fans will walk away, once a new president is in, every decision by Max and Bernie needs to be investigated, the corruption on show stinks to high heaven, the sport needs lancing like an ugly boil, installing Todt will only continue the infection.

#41 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 15:02

Originally posted by Anomnader
I actually think that Todt would actually be a good president, but for the good of the sport it can not be allowed to happen, it will blow right up with the past accusations of FIA / Ferrari conclusion and will go to a long way to confirming it, that after a pro-ferrari president thet install a ex-ferrari boss, how will fans off other teams react when for the last decade we have being watching a rigged series where the leading team is given a handup by the president. Fans will walk away, once a new president is in, ever decision by Max and Bernie needs to be investigated, the corruption on show stinks to high heaven, the sport needs lancing like an ugly boil, installing Todt will only continue the infection.

....That's a very nasty way of putting it....

#42 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 15:15

The choice is somewhat akin to asking someone if they would prefer syphilis or gonorrhea .

#43 manchild

manchild

• 134 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 15:25

Originally posted by Josta
The choice is somewhat akin to asking someone if they would prefer syphilis or gonorrhea .

:up:

#44 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 15:46

Josta :up: :up:

PS.Hmmmm...why is it I didn't even have to look to guess who started this thread?

#45 Knuckles

Knuckles

• 601 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 16:01

Originally posted by kar
The general argument being put forward is that Mosley cannot continue his job 'for the good of the sport', ostensibly, because of revelations about his private life. If you genuinely believe this, therefore, no matter how obnoxious you think Todt, you must believe his presidency would be less damaging to the sport than Mosley's

What kind of twisted logic is this? I believe Mosley should resign or be removed because he is a dead duck, and therefore I must consider absolutely anyone else in the World a better choice (this is required by "no matter how obnoxious you think Todt ...")? This makes no sense at all.

#46 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 16:03

humans are distasteful.

a shame.

why not put a animal there just to trust morals.
:lol:

#47 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 16:03

Mr. Todt - long live happy, smart and prosperous FIA.

#48 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 16:04

just for those who love the moral sport:

sport isn't moral. it is just sport. lately it is basically corrupted with money.

#49 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,456 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 16:07

In the football world cup, they have a single referee from each country, and the ref from England is not allowed to officiate England games, the Spanish ref can't officiate Spain games etc.

I find the idea of having a guy who's spent over 15 years at ANY single team in charge of deciding technical rulings and having the final say on penalties, fines etc absolutely ridiculous. In any other sport such a notion would be ridiculed, but apparently in F1 it's ok. Yay... :rolleyes:

And with it just happening to be a Ferrari guy, it will give endlesssly more ammunition for people who in my opinion quite rightly feel they have been favoured somewhat in recent years.

#50 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,019 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 17:17

Originally posted by inca_roads
In the football world cup, they have a single referee from each country, and the ref from England is not allowed to officiate England games, the Spanish ref can't officiate Spain games etc.

I find the idea of having a guy who's spent over 15 years at ANY single team in charge of deciding technical rulings and having the final say on penalties, fines etc absolutely ridiculous. In any other sport such a notion would be ridiculed, but apparently in F1 it's ok. Yay... :rolleyes:

And with it just happening to be a Ferrari guy, it will give endlesssly more ammunition for people who in my opinion quite rightly feel they have been favoured somewhat in recent years.

Now Now I am 100% sure that the Ferrari fans would be just as happy with Ron Dennis as FIA Pres. or even someone like Joe Saward. I say this because the Ferrari fans seem to be happy about a completely biased individual taking on the job so there would be no reason to find Ron or Joe unacceptable.