Jump to content


Photo

Xenophobia at the Spanish GP


  • Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#1 big x

big x
  • Member

  • 446 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:00

Noticed this user comment in Ed Gormans Times Blog:

""First of all - you may have read my short (and rather sharp e-mail) which was written in a hotel lobby, with a queue behind me. Now I am back at work, maybe a chance for me to be more level headed.

Do I love F1? God, yes. Do I love visiting GP's? Absolutely. Did I enjoy this weekend? No.

I think my stand at Turn 3 was maybe one of the more 'partisan' sections of the track, and I am sure the problems I experienced were not as widespread as I may think. But some points to consider:

1) Saturday was uncomfortable for an English fan group like us cheering on Lewis (and JB, DC and AD for that matter). It got worse as the day went on. Some boos as we took our seats then got steadily worse after the AM practice had finished, and by the time qualy kicked off I decided to complain to a steward. We had been spat and and very aggresively shouted at by large numbers of fans (not everyone, lets be realistic). I wont cry racism - as I dont understand Spanish). My friend had his 6 year old boy with him who was so upset he had to go home, and I am devastated for him. On Sunday, the race got worse, when Lewis got past Alonso, but when FA broke down, half of them went home which was laughable in itself.

2)The problem is, the stewards didn't understand us. I complained to the info booth behind the main stand, and to be fair they sent someone along (apparently) but nothing happened. They just panicked when I said I was sending off pictures, but then threatened legal action so I am not sure where that would leave me!

3) Other incidents of note - Lewis and Fernando were together on the driver parade, and fans were shouting (in English) to FA - get your hands off that animal etc etc.

4) And finally, I am so ashamed to say I lost my rag when I had a drink thrown over my head (yeah, I laugh now!) I had my godson crying, and the race was only 5 laps old (it was his first GP). So when FA broke down (in front of us!) we went totally and utterly ballistic (about 20 or 30 Brits in all)


We were not louts and hand on heart just went to cheer on our own home hero. It was a sad weekend.

I am not going to Silverstone (as my first child is due on 2nd July!) but I really hope that the country can get behind the home drivers in a supportive way and show that we know how to behave. And if Lewis wins, all the better."

Anyone else at the race have problems from Spanish Hooligans ?
ITV mentioned the booing but nothing else has been reported AFAIK.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Member

  • 14,449 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:12

If I may paraphrase Murray Walker, Grand Prix racing should never get too popular, or else the louts and hooligans would start getting involved. Even with the extortionate prices charged at most English football grounds, this kind of behaviour is really the minimum you'd expect. Spain has been in this sense both lucky and unlucky to have had Formula One attract such a sudden and massive interest; I believe similar problems were had in Germany and Britain with the rise of Schumacher and Mansell respectively. Although, I think the booing of Hamilton during the podium ceremony was somewhat unprecedented under these circumstances. Spain's problems with its Formula One fans is an interesting issue, IMO, and it should certainly be studied in greater detail than 'it's a few isolated morons' or 'all Spanish fans are racist pigs'. :)

[ps sorry for being first post without actually answering your question. :lol: :up: ]

#3 tahadar

tahadar
  • Member

  • 499 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:14

one of the first pics from the weekend was from the mclaren team wheeling on of their chassis to the weighing area and you can see fans lined up on the side giving them the thumbs down signs, i think many were kids. the mclaren guys were laughing it off but its pretty poor behavior i think. :

#4 DLaw

DLaw
  • Member

  • 1,613 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:21

He should report to Max..."Everyrace", ban the Spanish GP or threaten the one at Valencia.


But, I don't recall Lewis passing Alonso on track?

#5 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:27

BigX. I have the solution to his problem.
Next time he goes to a race in Spain, he should wear an Alonso T shirt and keep his big mouth shut. I bet he won´t attract any attention then, and he won´t go and spoil the day for his godson.
Why do some Brits think it´s their god given right to visit a foreign land, piss the locals off, and then complain when they don´t like the reaction. When in Rome, and all that......

#6 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:38

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Big

Why do some Brits think it´s their god given right to visit a foreign land, piss the locals off, and then complain when they don´t like the reaction. When in Rome, and all that......



Sorry, by pissing off the locals I take it you mean they shouldn't visit other countrys? as that its the all thing they did to attract such attention firstly? or is it in your opinion acceptable for the locals to act like louts? It has nothing to bloody do with brits its all to do how they were treated.

#7 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:39

I was in Spain at the weekend and think the Spanish fans were the biggest bunch of pricks I've ever encountered.
I've been to races Monza, Belgium and Australia in the past 18 months and Spain was my eighth GP all up but I've never encountered fanaticism quite as ugly as this. I went with seven mates who'd never attended a Grand Prix. We weren't supporting any driver in particular and were in General Admission between turns 8 and 9 (the corner where Kovalainen crashed). Normally other race fans are chatty and chilled. Not at this part of Circuit Cat.
Every lap Hamilton came past was greeted with shaken firsts, extended middle fingers and insults featuring variations of the word puta. When he appeared on the big screen? Torrents of abuse. When Anthony Hamilton appeared? Same deal. Not overtly racist but extremely fanatical.
The fans also turned on themselves a lot, and we saw several physical confrontations over viewing spots.
It got so ugly in the end we got up and moved after half distance.
I'm not saying it was the majority, but there was a hardcore minority who made the Spanish Grand Prix my least favorite Grand Prix experience to date. I found the Tfosi far more charming. At least they treat you as a fellow fan. Spain was like attending a Millwall match.

#8 beanoid

beanoid
  • Member

  • 5,247 posts
  • Joined: October 03

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:46

Wow, that's pretty awful.

I've been to the Moto GP race at Valencia, both in the paddock and out in the spectator viewing areas, as well as the bit where you can watch the video screens and buy stuff, and the Spanish fans were some of the most well-mannered, easygoing, polite people I've ever encountered. There were upwards of 130,000 people there on Sunday, and I never got shoved around once--and mind you, I was a woman there on my own (my husband was on track photographing the race). And, as far as I know, bike racing is more popular in Spain than F1 (?)

Bizarre, and sad.

#9 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:52

Originally posted by beanoid
Wow, that's pretty awful.

...the Spanish fans were some of the most well-mannered, easygoing, polite people I've ever encountered.


I've hung out at other races with Spanish fans, have travelled heaps in Spain and have Spanish mates. There was just something a bit ominous, marauding and aggressive about our section of Circuit Cat.

#10 JForce

JForce
  • Member

  • 13,841 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:54

Will be interesting to see what happens at Valencia.

#11 beanoid

beanoid
  • Member

  • 5,247 posts
  • Joined: October 03

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:56

Yeah--we had thought about going to the F1 race, but decided to go back to the Moto GP again instead (mostly 'cos of the weather)--I'm glad we decided as we did.

#12 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:58

This year at the British GP I noticed a slightly more loutish crowd, especially at the concert afterwards, I might be a prude, but slagging women off and just slinging your rubbish about just strikes me as the behaviour of ****, previous years it hadn't being as bad, even at the campsites. For foriegn GPs, only being to Monza, and no bad behaviour what so ever there, that was about 7 years ago, but they was quite happy to see fans of other teams.

#13 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:58

Originally posted by beanoid
Yeah--we had thought about going to the F1 race, but decided to go back to the Moto GP again instead (mostly 'cos of the weather)--I'm glad we decided as we did.


The weather was scorching. We were trying to decide if that contributed to the cranky crowd...

#14 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 28 April 2008 - 23:59

Originally posted by Anomnader
This year at the British GP


You mean last year? I would love to know how bad things got at Silverstone during the Mansellmania year in 1992.

#15 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:03

Originally posted by potmotr


You mean last year? I would love to know how bad things got at Silverstone during the Mansellmania year in 1992.


Yes, I mean last year!!

I don't know how it was with Mansell, I was too young.

Hamiliton/Alonso and the type of succesful drivers seem to attract elements that are only there cause they are being succesful rather then long time followers of the sport, it be interesting to see when Alonso or Hamiliton are gone whether they will continue to follow, thou both these drivers have many years ahead of them.

#16 pingu666

pingu666
  • Member

  • 8,881 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:07

there could be a mob atmosphere where some hate just spreads :/

from what u guys say, thats unacceptable behaviour towards you, treat others like *you would like tobe treated...







*not if your max mosley


what attacted you to that GP? as its historicaly a borefest

#17 Chiara

Chiara
  • Member

  • 1,847 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:09

Originally posted by Anomnader
This year at the British GP I noticed a slightly more loutish crowd, especially at the concert afterwards, I might be a prude, but slagging women off and just slinging your rubbish about just strikes me as the behaviour of ****, previous years it hadn't being as bad, even at the campsites. For foriegn GPs, only being to Monza, and no bad behaviour what so ever there, that was about 7 years ago, but they was quite happy to see fans of other teams.


That's disappointing : I'm going to Silverstone this year, I was hoping for a good atmosphere and good spirits amongst all fans, as I have enjoyed at other Grand Prix. Even as a Ferrari fan have sat next to Macca fans at Monza and its been really civilised and even jovial with a bit of witty banter :up:

I suppose you get bad apples wherever you go though.....

#18 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:10

Originally posted by Anomnader
Sorry, by pissing off the locals I take it you mean they shouldn't visit other countries?

Are you suggesting the British can´t visit foreign lands without pissing the locals off? :lol:
But seriously, how on earth did you come to that conclusion? Look, let´s call a spade a spade here. The worlds #1 hooligans are the English football fans, known far and wide as trouble just looking for a place to happen. Don´t you think these Spanish fans, who see a bunch of poms waving Hamilton flags and yelling at the top of their voices for their man, feel as if they are being provoked? Ok, this is not football, but I hate to inform these guys, the English footie fans reputation has preceded them.
BTW, I visited the recent Spanish MGP race, and there were just as many Rossi fans as Lorenzo and Pedrosa fans, and never once did I see anything but good vibes and friendly banter. But then Rossi is Italian, and the Italians aren´t as, "in your face", as the English, and that might well have been the difference.

#19 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:14

Originally posted by pingu666
what attacted you to that GP? as its historicaly a borefest


The beautiful of Barcelona my friend! The Grand Prix was the conclusion of three days of great music (Nick Cave was playing in the city on the Friday), great eating and drinking, great weather (Saturday was spent on the beach) and actually the race wasn't too bad. The turn 8-9 section is quite interesting, we saw the Kovalainen crash and aftermath (not good, but quite amazing to see). We relocated because of the yobs mentioned above then saw Alonso breakdown. We moved again and saw Glock ram into DC. Then moved once more and saw Quick Nick setting up his move on Fisichella down the main straight (but didn't actually see the move itself). And there were heaps of big screens to keep up with the action. We were quite lucky, but it wasn't a great experience as detailed above. Barcelona is a great city though.

Advertisement

#20 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:15

Don´t you think these Spanish fans, who see a bunch of poms waving Hamilton flags and yelling at the top of their voices for their man, feel as if they are being provoked?


I see, so, it is not acceptable to be able support your own driver/team in Spain?

#21 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:16

Originally posted by potmotr
I was in Spain at the weekend and think the Spanish fans were the biggest bunch of pricks I've ever encountered.
I've been to races Monza, Belgium and Australia in the past 18 months and Spain was my eighth GP all up but I've never encountered fanaticism quite as ugly as this. I went with seven mates who'd never attended a Grand Prix. We weren't supporting any driver in particular and were in General Admission between turns 8 and 9 (the corner where Kovalainen crashed). Normally other race fans are chatty and chilled. Not at this part of Circuit Cat.
Every lap Hamilton came past was greeted with shaken firsts, extended middle fingers and insults featuring variations of the word puta. When he appeared on the big screen? Torrents of abuse. When Anthony Hamilton appeared? Same deal. Not overtly racist but extremely fanatical.
The fans also turned on themselves a lot, and we saw several physical confrontations over viewing spots.
It got so ugly in the end we got up and moved after half distance.
I'm not saying it was the majority, but there was a hardcore minority who made the Spanish Grand Prix my least favorite Grand Prix experience to date. I found the Tfosi far more charming. At least they treat you as a fellow fan. Spain was like attending a Millwall match.


I think this happens in every GP. All F1 fans around the world think that when lewis goes public and says alonso should leave the team and he is a bad person, he should get this abuse. Mclarens anti fan attitude should get thumbs down everywhere. And it also has been said before, as if the british nation has such a good record visiting other countries in big sporting events. Here in amsterdam big groups of british tourist are refused entry in hotels for such a bad reputation and binge drinkin or drug abuse, then get violent and wreck everything. A bbc survey showed that british where the least wanted tourists in about 16 countries, where the germans where the most wanted, kind and good tippers.

The spanish are very passionate about their sporting heroes and the way lewis and mclaren treated the double world champion was beyond any acceptable means. I think youl go some years before you fixed that reputation.

#22 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:17

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Don´t you think these Spanish fans, who see a bunch of poms waving Hamilton flags and yelling at the top of their voices for their man, feel as if they are being provoked?


Where did you see that? I thought we might have seen a British pro-Hamilton yob contingent but aside from the odd Hamilton t-shirt and cap and the one Union flag I saw, there was no "bunch of poms waving Hamilton flags" in evidence, let alone any hint of provacation.

#23 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:18

Mclarens anti fan attitude should get thumbs down everywhere


Oh bugger off you troll :rolleyes:

#24 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:20

Originally posted by dawg_7529


as if the british nation has such a good record visiting other countries in big sporting events.


I can't quite understand how this thread has become about British being bad fans and provoking those in Spain? I hardly saw a single British fan.
For the record, I'm not British and neither were my friends.

#25 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:21

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
BigX. I have the solution to his problem.
Next time he goes to a race in Spain, he should wear an Alonso T shirt and keep his big mouth shut. I bet he won´t attract any attention then, and he won´t go and spoil the day for his godson.
Why do some Brits think it´s their god given right to visit a foreign land, piss the locals off, and then complain when they don´t like the reaction. When in Rome, and all that......


I'm just curious whether English is your first language because you seem to have a terrible time with comprehension.

#26 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:23

Originally posted by Anomnader


Oh bugger off you troll :rolleyes:


For starters we could teach the brits to attack the post and not the poster with ridiculous yob language swearing and cursing.

#27 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:24

Hi potmotr, you mention moving several times? Was this all due to feeling uncomfortable or for other reasons?

#28 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:25

Originally posted by dawg_7529


For starters we could teach the brits to attack the post and not the poster with ridiculous yob language swearing and cursing.


I've seen you're posting in the ITV section and everyone single post was vile, and the same in here.

#29 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:29

Originally posted by Anomnader


I've seen you're posting in the ITV section and everyone single post was vile, and the same in here.


...i explained why i think brundle is a disgrace as a commentator while people kept irking that he is such an excellent commentator. For your information and to stay on topic; if i was a spanish fan hearing what that idiot brundle screamed that alonso was brake testing THE GREAT hamilton and all other real vile written by the brit press about alonso, i would be very edgy as well. Totally inapropiate patriotic bullshit. The only people who believe alonso demanded number one status is the brit press and their readers. The rest of the world places big question marks over the treatment of a double world champion vs a damn big mouthed rookie.

#30 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:30

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

Are you suggesting the British can´t visit foreign lands without pissing the locals off? :lol:
But seriously, how on earth did you come to that conclusion? Look, let´s call a spade a spade here. The worlds #1 hooligans are the English football fans, known far and wide as trouble just looking for a place to happen. Don´t you think these Spanish fans, who see a bunch of poms waving Hamilton flags and yelling at the top of their voices for their man, feel as if they are being provoked? Ok, this is not football, but I hate to inform these guys, the English footie fans reputation has preceded them.


So you can't support your favourite driver if it might upset the locals? Oh dear doesn't say much about the local's intelligence does it.

Are you a Spanish Alonso fan BTW?

#31 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:30

Originally posted by potmotr


Where did you see that? I thought we might have seen a British pro-Hamilton yob contingent but aside from the odd Hamilton t-shirt and cap and the one Union flag I saw, there was no "bunch of poms waving Hamilton flags" in evidence, let alone any hint of provacation.

From the article.

Quote.
So when FA broke down (in front of us!) we went totally and utterly ballistic (about 20 or 30 Brits in all)
End quote.

Now, how would that not be seen a provocative by FA fans? If those had been Spanish fans in Silverstone going, "totally and utterly ballistic" as Lewis rolled to a halt, they would have been set upon at the very least.
Come on, lets take the union jack tinted glasses off here. :)

#32 David M. Kane

David M. Kane
  • Member

  • 5,400 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:31

Attending a Grand Prix isn't cheap, plus who needs a bunch of assholes carrying on like silly children when you've paid good money. If you can't act normal go back to Bull Fighting. :kiss:

#33 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:32

Originally posted by dawg_7529


...i explained why i think brundle is a disgrace as a commentator while people kept irking that he is such an excellent commentator. For your information and to stay on topic; if i was a spanish fan hearing what that idiot brundle screamed that alonso was brake testing THE GREAT hamilton and all other real vile written by the brit press about alonso, i would be very edgy as well. Totally inapropiate patriotic bullshit. The only people who believe alonso demanded number one status is the brit press and their readers. The rest of the world places big question marks over the treatment of a double world champion vs a damn big mouthed rookie.


I think it's great that anyone can get access to a computer these days.

#34 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:32

Originally posted by senna da silva


I'm just curious whether English is your first language because you seem to have a terrible time with comprehension.


Wots compruhensin? :rotfl:
and
No, I´m not a FA fan, and no, I´m not Spanish.

#35 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:33

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

From the article.

Quote.
So when FA broke down (in front of us!) we went totally and utterly ballistic (about 20 or 30 Brits in all)
End quote.

Now, how would that not be seen a provocative by FA fans? If those had been Spanish fans in Silverstone going, "totally and utterly ballistic" as Lewis rolled to a halt, they would have been set upon at the very least.
Come on, lets take the union jack tinted glasses off here. :)


Did you fail to see this was after they had already being abused and had water chucked over them?

#36 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:35

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer


Wots compruhensin? :rotfl:


Really funny stuff. :up:

#37 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:37

Originally posted by senna da silva


I think it's great that anyone can get access to a computer these days.


Well its nice to see as-the-world-turns fans have also found the autosport forum ;) What a superb genial quote from vivienne senna. Up for the noble price?

#38 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:40

Originally posted by dawg_7529


Well its nice to see as-the-world-turns fans have also found the autosport forum ;) What a superb genial quote from vivienne senna. Up for the noble price?


When are you scheduled to take your next round of meds?

#39 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:41

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

From the article.

Quote.
So when FA broke down (in front of us!) we went totally and utterly ballistic (about 20 or 30 Brits in all)
End quote.

Now, how would that not be seen a provocative by FA fans? If those had been Spanish fans in Silverstone going, "totally and utterly ballistic" as Lewis rolled to a halt, they would have been set upon at the very least.
Come on, lets take the union jack tinted glasses off here. :)


Firstly, friend, I'm not British so no union jack glasses here.
Secondly, I saw Alonso break down from across the track. He stopped on the inside just before turn four.
I didn't see a large group of British fans, but one Alonso fan did vault the fence and try and wrap his hero in an Asturias flag. If you check out the clip on the ITV website you see Alonso actually move up to the fence line to acknowledge his fans.
Didn't see any water throwing or altercations.

Advertisement

#40 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:43

Originally posted by senna da silva


When are you scheduled to take your next round of meds?


oho, so you admit it was a rather stupid, nothing saying quote from the sister of a dead brasilian? I was just trying to be polite honey.

#41 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:45

Originally posted by Anomnader
Hi potmotr, you mention moving several times? Was this all due to feeling uncomfortable or for other reasons?


Saddens me to say, but it was primarily because of the people around us. Felt like we were among hooligans which is not how I like to spend my Sundays at the races.

#42 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:46

Originally posted by dawg_7529


oho, so you admit it was a rather stupid, nothing saying quote from the sister of a dead brasilian? I was just trying to be polite honey.


What the **** are you talking about?

#43 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:51

Originally posted by senna da silva


What the **** are you talking about?


nevermind darling, go back to sleep :cool:

#44 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:52

Originally posted by Anomnader


Did you fail to see this was after they had already being abused and had water chucked over them?

Anomnader, come on, I think I have a pretty good idea of where this fellow is coming from. He was out to prove, after the racist incident, that Spanish fans are the pits. I don´t believe they would have simply started abusing him and his friend without any reason at all.
I can just see these slobs goading the locals in order to get a reaction. This hasn´t anything to do with xenophobia. It´s got much more to do with provocative behaviour if you ask me. Why didn´t the officials take any action? Are we to believe they were part of the problem?
If the truth be known, these guys were pissed and making a public spectacle of themselves, then when they were told to behave themselves, they screamed xenophobia. I´ve seen it time and again. This isn´t something new and exclusive to any one nation of people.
Sorry, I just don´t buy it.

#45 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:56

Originally posted by potmotr


Firstly, friend, I'm not British so no union jack glasses here.
Secondly, I saw Alonso break down from across the track. He stopped on the inside just before turn four.
I didn't see a large group of British fans, but one Alonso fan did vault the fence and try and wrap his hero in an Asturias flag. If you check out the clip on the ITV website you see Alonso actually move up to the fence line to acknowledge his fans.
Didn't see any water throwing or altercations.


I´m not disputing anything you say, as I wasn´t there. I merely read the opening post and commented on that. If you feel it´s not accurate then you support my suspicion that the blogger who wrote the original article is talking nonsense.

#46 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:58

Originally posted by dawg_7529


nevermind darling, go back to sleep :cool:


What colour is the sky in your world?

#47 Anomnader

Anomnader
  • Member

  • 8,616 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 April 2008 - 00:58

Right, OK, Rhodie, I am beginning to get you, what you are saying, no matter what a storys says, without even needing any evidence to the contray, you will make up you own story, about what YOU BELIEVED happened, not whether it did or not, but you will only believe your own made up version, and not any other, you actually make up your own fantasy world where you will start altering a story till it fits in with what you want to believe?

Right, you also don't know this bloke, so you don't know (and he doesn't come across) as a slob
He is a journalist at a respected paper, these are usually not slobs

He had a young kid with him, is he going to be that drunk/

In your make believe world, you are happy to quickly invent that the fella is a yob then that the spanish are, even thou you have a poster on here confirming it?


#48 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,449 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:00

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
If the truth be known, these guys were pissed and making a public spectacle of themselves, then when they were told to behave themselves, they screamed xenophobia. I´ve seen it time and again. This isn´t something new and exclusive to any one nation of people.
Sorry, I just don´t buy it.


Why would they have children with them and why would they leave if they were looking for a fight? Cut the bullshit and just come out and admit you hate the English.

#49 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:07

Originally posted by senna da silva


Why would they have children with them and why would they leave if they were looking for a fight? Cut the bullshit and just come out and admit you hate the English.


:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Now that is really funny.
I love the poms actually, well most of the time anyway. :lol:

#50 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:10

Originally posted by Anomnader
Right, you also don't know this bloke, so you don't know (and he doesn't come across) as a slob
He is a journalist at a respected paper, these are usually not slobs


Err, how do you know he is a journalist at a respected paper?