Photo

What's wrong with Coulthard?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Poll: What's wrong with Coulthard? (180 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Attitude/Behaviour problem (54 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Bad luck (20 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Getting too old (85 votes [47.22%])

Percentage of vote: 47.22%

4. Loss of traction control (2 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

5. The Red Bull car (3 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

6. Something else (Explain) (16 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 HP

HP

• 14,251 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:17

He's just being rejuvenated of course!

In the back of my mind having the search words, Coulthard, 1995 Adelaide, pitwall, crash. The one condition missing from then is leading a race

Coulthard is good as anyone on some special days. Unfortunately they don't happen too often anymore. He's a major PR asset though.

But it doesn't really matter. Even before that, Dieter Rencken had him linked taking up a managerial position within the team. He might be doing very well there, but right now, it seems he has his mind already on matters off the track, hence he'll put some effort into it to finish races a tad earlier than scheduled.

Having said that, give DC enough bad PR, and he'll give us one of his more sterling drives. His fans will certainly hope so. For me it doesn't matter.

Advertisement

#52 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:22

Originally posted by SlateGray

Thats why he has been in F1 the past 14 years because he "is not a very good race car driver."

He is no anymore given the level of competition currently. With the crap he pulled on Massa and Button this year and last year almost shopping Wurz head, I rate his racecraft as being very poor. This dude has become a cruiser and a crasher nothing else more really.

#53 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:44

Originally posted by BMW_F1

He is no anymore given the level of competition currently. With the crap he pulled on Massa and Button this year and last year almost shopping Wurz head, I rate his racecraft as being very poor. This dude has become a cruiser and a crasher nothing else more really.

Nothing wrong with being a cruiser - that's what they spend most of the race doing these days. If they get close to a car in front, the lack of downforce causes the tyres to slip and you wear them out prematurely. So the drivers back off into cruise mode, and tool around until a break appears, where they then have a few fast laps on their own. The race is dominated by the qualifying position. They certainly aren't racers anymore, racing has been systematically removed from F1 over the last decade.

The closest we have to racing is Monaco, where at least the driver has to put the car close to solid walls. I expect DC to once again do well in Monaco. Remember he got on the podium in the crap Red Bull a couple of years ago, and he then wore his Superman suit and went for a swim?

Sure, his time is past ... just as the time for racers in F1 went years ago.

#54 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,627 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:54

I may be wrong but the grid seems almost laughably close and every last 10th in qualy is worth 2 spots on the grid. He's racing with desperate drivers lower on the grid than his team mate and therefore finding grief.

I would prefer to have Heidfeld, Trulli and Kivalainen near me than Glock, Vettel and Nakajima.

#55 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:09

Originally posted by Melbourne Park

Nothing wrong with being a cruiser - that's what they spend most of the race doing these days. If they get close to a car in front, the lack of downforce causes the tyres to slip and you wear them out prematurely. So the drivers back off into cruise mode, and tool around until a break appears, where they then have a few fast laps on their own. The race is dominated by the qualifying position. They certainly aren't racers anymore, racing has been systematically removed from F1 over the last decade.

The closest we have to racing is Monaco, where at least the driver has to put the car close to solid walls. I expect DC to once again do well in Monaco. Remember he got on the podium in the crap Red Bull a couple of years ago, and he then wore his Superman suit and went for a swim?

Sure, his time is past ... just as the time for racers in F1 went years ago.

yes, you just reminded me how Klien who is not racing at the moment had DC beaten in Monaco before his car failed. DC is not a racer, if he was, he wouldn't have so many problems being around other cars. With the exception of Barcelona, I've seen a lot of action in the midfield and I don't see drivers having trouble overtaking or being overtaken by other cars with the exception of DC. His qualifying has been terrible also..

#56 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:17

yes, you just reminded me how Klien who is not racing at the moment had DC beaten in Monaco before his car failed. DC is not a racer, if he was, he wouldn't have so many problems being around other cars. With the exception of Barcelona, I've seen a lot of action in the midfield and I don't see drivers having trouble overtaking or being overtaken by other cars with the exception of DC. His qualifying has been terrible also..

Action in the midfield! Like Nic Heidfeld being held up for lap after lap on Sunday by a car two seconds a lap slower than him? That's not action IMO.

If the cars we different, we wouldn't get the crazy moves IMO. And when today's cars get near eachother, the car behind cannot be controlled under brakes. the car shoots forward, and drifts sideways, due to sudden lack of normal downforce. Add visibility issues, and things go wrong. DC might have thought he had made his intentions clear - but he would not have known, because from everything I have read, the three quarter visibility is shit. And they actually moved the mirrors on the RB4 outwards this year because of the appalling visibility from the mirrors. And besides where that, they vibrate so much that drivers have occasionally admitted they can't see out of them. The drivers don't like to talk about that, because if the mirrors worked properly, it would slow the car down. The car would be less aero efficient with working mirrors, and they'd be heavier too if the did not vibrate. So the drivers just don't talk about it. Still at RBR they did move the mirrors into a better position.

#57 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:20

I think JPM was quite verbal against MS

are you referring to the "blind or stupid" comment?. That is the only thing I recall...At least JPM had the balls to tell Michael in his face but DC was always cheap shotting Juan in the media. When they were confronted face to face DC had to actually eat his words (Monkey comment) and apologize.

- JPM used the press for his promotion of himself being equal to MS. It was fun too!

I don't know what you mean exactly. Do you have any samples or you just made this up.. ?

. JPM did talk, so to accuse DC for doing the same is somewhat hypocritical IMO. Rant over too! ;)

It was not the same.. JPM did talk but he never treated anyone in the same manner DC has treated Massa or JPM.. DC has gone out of his way to bad mouth and insult drivers through the media. I think this is wrong.

When JPM called drivers "****ing idiot", (twice if I am not mistaken) it was out of frustration in the car but not as a personal insult or offense.

#58 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:29

are you referring to the "blind or stupid" comment?. That is the only thing I recall...At least JPM had the balls to tell Michael in his face but DC was always cheap shotting Juan in the media. When they were confronted face to face DC had to actually eat his words (Monkey comment) and apologize.

I don't know what you mean exactly. Do you have any samples or you just made this up.. ?

It was not the same.. JPM did talk but he never treated anyone in the same manner DC has treated Massa or JPM.. DC has gone out of his way to bad mouth and insult drivers through the media. I think this is wrong.

When JPM called drivers "****ing idiot", (twice if I am not mistaken) it was out of frustration in the car but not as a personal insult or offense.

I thought JPM called the camera guy a F**king idiot. Oh yes - also that issue with KR wasn't it, when JPM came out of the pits? maybe another one you remember that I do not.

As to DC, I don't know about the monkey stuff, or the background to it. My point is that the media gets hold of this stuff, and BB people, and they make more out of it than it deserves.

In some areas calling someone a monkey is racist. But if someone called JPM that, since JPM's not black, I'd reckon its the sort of stuff that people call eachother on the sporting field all the time. But I guess in the politically correct, I must read out what the PR documents tell me to say world of today's F1, calling someone a monkey can be made out to be highly disgraceful and filthy behavior. I think the reality is far from it.

I liked JPM because he wasn't afraid to talk. But I also think that might have hurt him in the support he got from the team. Most say he was a lot slower than KR, but I thought there were some other issues. Of course I am probably wrong.

I am not sure though what that's got to do with DC, as normally he's been well spoken in the press. He goes onto radio in australia and he is terrific to listen to. I had always thought him somewhat dimwitted, until I heard him talk on live radio. I have never heard him insult people, but I guess he must have done it a few times from what you say.

#59 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,405 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:32

Originally posted by race addicted
Nothing's wrong. He just haven't got a break yet. He was quick in Bahrain but finished ninth,

Sepang.

The fact that no one corrected this shows how little DC fans there are in this topic? :confused:

Advertisement

#60 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:33

Hey - you just did that too - the "f**king idiot" from JPM was about an intrusive camera man who crashed his giant lens into Monty's head. That got plastered around the world, but if it had of been me, I'd have used much worse language.

Look at the white line on the ground to the left. That cameraman is in the same position at the start of the clip, as he is when...

Monty walks straight into his camera...

Can't blame helmets or cockpit sides or mirrors for this lack of vision...

While I don't understand why DC has never wanted to be a true winner, it cannot be denied that on his best days he has beaten the best: Michael Schumacher, Hakkinen, Damon Hill, etc. On a good day, he can make world champions look bad.

But now he looks like he'll never even once make Webber look bad. And Webber isn't even in the same league as the ones mentioned above.

#61 tomspar

tomspar

• 106 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:46

2 votes - His getting too old, and the constant questions + commentary ensuing, contributing to a seriously shitty attitute this year. couple more accidents hell be kicking so many colors of shit out of so many drivers he will need to remove his driving shoes to avoid damaging them (redbull pays for his socks) :D

#62 glitzfri

glitzfri

• 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:23

He's not doing much to debunk the stereotypes of senior citizen drivers.

#63 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:53

Originally posted by Tolyngee

Look at the white line on the ground to the left. That cameraman is in the same position at the start of the clip, as he is when...

Monty walks straight into his camera...

Can't blame helmets or cockpit sides or mirrors for this lack of vision...

But he was looking the other way! A bit like Vettel looking at Hamilton in the Japanese GP while following the SC, and then Vettel ran straight into the back of Webber. Just a split second thing.

DC has had some shunts alright, but the drivers barely in control on DC's inside should have known the likely outcomes IMO, these things are rarely straightforward black and whites IMO, and previously DC has admitted when he's been wrong. Although it took him some time to say that about that wet day at Spa when MS found a slow running David on the main straight.

#64 d246

d246

• 562 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:32

I am not sure though what that's got to do with DC, as normally he's been well spoken in the press. He goes onto radio in australia and he is terrific to listen to. I had always thought him somewhat dimwitted, until I heard him talk on live radio.

I agree - probably the sharpest F1 driver by a fair distance.

#65 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,869 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:39

From the majority of answers to the Poll, with the two main responses we can now conclude that DC is a Grumpy Old Fart.

Well that was productive....

#66 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:17

Originally posted by d246
I am not sure though what that's got to do with DC, as normally he's been well spoken in the press. He goes onto radio in australia and he is terrific to listen to. I had always thought him somewhat dimwitted, until I heard him talk on live radio.

I agree - probably the sharpest F1 driver by a fair distance.

:lol:

I guess if sounding good on the radio makes you sharp, yeh. IMO if DC hadn't been such playboy, he would have been formidable. In many ways IMO, he blew his chance by having too much fun. Still, he's achieved an aweful lot, and he does seem to be a good bloke. I hope things go better for him. IMO its a credit to DC and the team that MW was able to get in the car for qualifying without having driven the car on saturday and get a 7th grid spot. Its great to have two drivers who can communicate. I feel sorry for DC because I reckon if they soft tyres were more available, he'd be much further up the grid.

#67 kikiturbo2

kikiturbo2

• 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:27

I had a "pleasure" of doing an interview with him recently... there is just no passion for the sport in the guy.. it is like: "I do not give a flying f*** for cars, I just drive F1 because I am good at it, otherwise I enjoy my hotel in montecarlo"...

and he was verry pissed off about the age questions.. :)

#68 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:36

Originally posted by kikiturbo2
I had a "pleasure" of doing an interview with him recently... there is just no passion for the sport in the guy.. it is like: "I do not give a flying f*** for cars, I just drive F1 because I am good at it, otherwise I enjoy my hotel in montecarlo"...

Are you sure it wasn't another example of his Scottish sense of humor which you couldn't understand? ;)

But Coulthard was not going to let the fine go without an attempt to get it dropped – which he duly did when he was summoned to see the race stewards to talk about his collision with Timo Glock in the race.

"When I was with the stewards I said thank you for hearing what I had to say about the race, but can we talk about another event.

"I said: 'You've fined me 4,000 Euros, I've done 230-odd Grands Prix and never missed one except for Malaysia where I was ill and in the medical centre. So that's 4,000 Euros out of my children's inheritance!'

"There was no reaction from them. No smile or anything. So I then said to them: 'Okay, let's cut it to 2000 Euros if I pay in cash.' Still no reaction.

"So I then asked (FIA representative) Alan Donnelly if he could translate that, because that is somewhat funny in English. But he said it was only funny in Scottish…"

#69 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:52

"So I then asked (FIA representative) Alan Donnelly if he could translate that, because that is somewhat funny in English. But he said it was only funny in Scottish…"

Now that's funny. It makes DC look like David Brent and Donnelly one of the priggish types he works with.

#70 ivandjj

ivandjj

• 98 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:45

Originally posted by kikiturbo2

i read coulthard's autobiography shortly before reading your interview. and i must say that interview was totally consistent with his statements and opinions in the book. including his views about strangers who inteview him and ask same old questions for whichever time :rolleyes:

david can be interesting when he talks about something which interests him, like his quarells with mosley about safety, tyres etc. his book was mildly boring, as was your interview. words just forced out of him.

back on topic, his driving seems to be similarly forced out of him these days. especially now as he realises he prolly won't be in f1 long enough to get his hands on front running newey car again.

#71 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:03

I don't think Coulthard is much slower than last year, and I think his reactions to overtaking attempts are the same. The problem is: the midfield is much, much closer to eachother. In qualifying a tenth is enough to push you back or up. And in the race there are just more cars that are able to overtake him, and I don't think David is handling it well. His attitude seems to be: 'I see you are behind me. I will take a defensive line through this corner (in Barcelona he steered to the middle of the curve!) and you just solve it.' Then, ofcourse, there is a crash.

The crashes are seldom his 'fault', but he just brings himself into these situations. As if he is a tennisplayer who throws up a lob... and then awaits the smash at the net. Ofcourse the other player makes the decision to hit right through the player or away from him. But...

#72 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug

• 287 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:08

Coulthard should have been sacked years ago. He never did anything when he had the best cars so midfield was always going to be a waste of time, yet for some reason hes been able to consistently con his way into getting new contracts year after year, based on his 'experience'. The guy cant qualify and cant race, so where is all this experience? Running his mouth maybe and excuses but thats it.

#73 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,587 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:21

yes, you just reminded me how Klien who is not racing at the moment had DC beaten in Monaco before his car failed. DC is not a racer, if he was, he wouldn't have so many problems being around other cars.

There's much to address in this thread, but I'll start with you and that comment. It reveals how little attention you're paying, or have payed. It's also giving away the fact that you dislike the driver in question, which obviously clouds your judgement.

At no other time in the 2006 season, did anyone enjoy such a performance-advantage over his team-mate, as DC had on Klien during the Monaco weekend. He was a full second quicker in Q2!
Klien only ended up ahead due to the safety car. Simple as that really.

...and DC has always been labeled exactly that; a racer.

---

Thanks Holden, for correcting my mix-up.

#74 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,944 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:30

He can't drive around balance issues, which is why he's suffering.

#75 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 934 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:49

Originally posted by saudoso
I don't think it's DC. It's the new cockpit. The same happened to NP & SB this weekend.

The thing with DC is that he seems to believe the guy behind him won't move more often, because they just can't see what's going on at 8 & 4 o'clock

Agree. And it was DC who campaigned for this, so now he can eat his (saftey obsessed)words.

I voted bad luck, because that is probably a part of it, but hes also obviously had his best days in F1 and should call it a day at the end of this year and let Bourdais in his seat. :)

#76 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:56

Originally posted by Digitaldrug
He never did anything when he had the best cars

You may criticise Coulthard for what he is doing now, but don't bad mouth what he has done before. On his day, Coulthard has beaten, fair and square, the best of his generation, ie, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Hill and Villeneuve.

If you take each 'incident' individually, DC has had a run of bad luck, they were all just racing incidents. I think Alfisti and others are right: the midfield these days is so freaking close, a couple of tenths puts you back 5 or 6 places. Thus DC is fighting the back markers while Webber is with the more polite front runners.

BTW, Glock was optimistic at best! Glock & DC

#77 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:05

Originally posted by armchair expert
Thus DC is fighting the back markers while Webber is with the more polite front runners.

Or, as Hamilton phrased it in one ITV interview on Saturday, 'with the professional drivers'

I'm amazed none of Hamiltons (many) detractors have picked up on that little gem (and apologies in advance if this triggers the usual Alonso v Hamilton thread-rot).

#78 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:10

I am sorry but Massa Button and Glock are not backmarkers. Luck is not it. The fact is everytime DC has been put in an overtaking situation he's crashed. The pattern will continue, you'll see. Next will be DC crashing with Piquet, Vettel or Nakajima. If he insists in closing the door the results would be the same. He said it himself.

#79 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:15

BTW, Glock was optimistic at best! Glock & DC

This is just me talking, but I personally don't think Glock put a foot long. The onboard camera shows Coulthard swiping to the side far too quickly.

Advertisement

#80 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug

• 287 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:22

You may criticise Coulthard for what he is doing now, but don't bad mouth what he has done before. On his day, Coulthard has beaten, fair and square, the best of his generation, ie, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Hill and Villeneuve.
[/URL]

Fair and square means, equal cars and he never beat Schumacher in the same car. All the others on that list were always quite beatable so its no big deal. They still always beat him in the long run and DCs never been faster than any team mate hes ever had. That says it all really.

#81 Gecko

Gecko

• 800 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:25

Thanks for the video. When watching the race for the first time, I thought the only thing that DC did wrong was to move over in the braking area. It's now also painfully clear that he started braking much earlier than Glock expected, which can be seen due to the fact that Glock, even when squeezed fully to the inside, still managed to shed off enough speed to easily make the corner, apart from then being left with no room and thus getting his wing clipped.

Glock didn't even try and do an overtaking move on DC; from the moment DC hit the brakes Glock was simply trying his best to avoid the accident by moving even more to the inside but was then left with no room in the end. It looked as if it was an overtaking attempt but it really was just accident avoidance.

#82 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:27

Originally posted by race addicted

...and DC has always been labeled exactly that; a racer.

By whom?

#83 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:32

Originally posted by karlth

By whom?

By race addicted :lol:

Gecko: DC is taking a defensive line so he brakes earlier than usual, maybe a little too early but there is no law against that. It was glocks mistake.

#84 Gecko

Gecko

• 800 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:33

Originally posted by eoin

Gecko: DC is taking a defensive line so he brakes earlier than usual, maybe a little too early but there is no law against that. It was glocks mistake.

He takes the defensive line after starting to brake, that is his biggest mistake. DC braked early and Glock avoided that, but then DC also moved over. You can't really see what more Glock could do.

#85 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:44

Originally posted by Gecko

He takes the defensive line after starting to brake, that is his biggest mistake. DC braked early and Glock avoided that, but then DC also moved over. You can't really see what more Glock could do.

The racing line is nearer the kerb, DC never goes near it. Glock could of taken a wider line and got a better exit.

#86 ivandjj

ivandjj

• 98 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:47

Originally posted by Dalton007
He can't drive around balance issues, which is why he's suffering.

i remember jackie stewart saying that about DC around 1995. and that is why we see top level performance from coulthard only 3-4 times a year.

but, until 2008 DC had perseverance and motivation to drive other solid 10-12 races a year, despite being slightly less competitive in them due to handling issues. this year DC drives as if he doesn't see a point in persevering, yielding occasionaly, and finishing 9th or 11th.

webber's speed is obviously a factor there. also it seems that all these younger drivers have no respect on the track for DC, and to some extent for fisi and barrichello. that must be irritating to those older people, and certainly contributs to DCs slam the door behaviour.

#87 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:49

MS used to corner like that though - he'd keep his line open and then close into the apex. And everyone behind him knew that if they got into that area, he'd smash into them. I reckon that for some strange reason, the rear of the pack don't know that DC will always shut the door on you. And isn't predictability one of the key issues with racing drivers?

#88 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:52

Originally posted by ivandjj

i remember jackie stewart saying that about DC around 1995. and that is why we see top level performance from coulthard only 3-4 times a year.

but, until 2008 DC had perseverance and motivation to drive other solid 10-12 races a year, despite being slightly less competitive in them due to handling issues. this year DC drives as if he doesn't see a point in persevering, yielding occasionaly, and finishing 9th or 11th.

webber's speed is obviously a factor there. also it seems that all these younger drivers have no respect on the track for DC, and to some extent for fisi and barrichello. that must be irritating to those older people, and certainly contributs to DCs slam the door behaviour.

I wrote my post before reading yours, but we seem to be be seeing the same things! :up:

I think the lack of respect is a function of the inability to pass and the safety of the cars. They mostly seem quite happy to risk touching the car in front.

#89 Gecko

Gecko

• 800 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:52

The racing line is nearer the kerb, DC never goes near it. Glock could of taken a wider line and got a better exit.

The racing line just before the corner goes nearer the kerb, but the braking area begins a fair bit away from the kerb as it follows from the previous right hand corner. Until he starts braking, DC follows the usual line but then begins moving to the inside after he already began his braking. When Glock had to make his choice DC was still on the usual racing line.

It is not that DC is really doing anything absolutely "wrong" so the stewards were right to dismiss it as a racing incident, but DC has been showing the same pattern of driving as the incident is almost the same as the Button one in Bahrain. As far as this thread goes, it's clear to me he has an attitude or at least a racecraft issue.

#90 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:58

Originally posted by ivandjj

those 3-4 times a year are probably those races in which he spends the entire race racing single line without any other cars around.. If you call that racing..?

The respect (or lack of respect) you talk about in your last paragraph is a cocky behavior only attributed to DC. Young drivers don't have to do anything different when they are racing for position against DC/Fisi/Rubens as opposed to Piquet/Nakajima/Vettel.
I don't see Fisi, or Rubens, having problems dealing with this. Fisichella made it real hard for Lewis to overtake him the other day but he knows how to not crash into a faster car by giving room as opposed to DC. Sato did the same with DC.

#91 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,313 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:00

What about on the exit, DC just shoved Glock onto the grass didn't he?

#92 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:06

Not sure what race ye are watching but glock goes on the grass on the entrance, not the exit. He also never gets beside DC so DC doesn't have to give him room.

#93 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:15

I think his current problem is his aspiration to kick various shades of faeces out of people he has closed the door on. I always thought he was a cock though, and growing a silly beard and becoming "Crazy Dave" hasn't increased his appeal to me.

Now, though, he's picking up a fat pay cheque for making up (and then decimating! :lol: ) the numbers....nice "work" if you can get it.

#94 Gecko

Gecko

• 800 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:20

Originally posted by Perigee
I think his current problem is his aspiration to kick various shades of faeces out of people he has closed the door on.

Actually, the Massa incident in Melbourne was not DC's fault, there he just took a normal line and Massa was overly optimistic. It is true that he could give room if he wanted to and thus avoided the accident, but, unlike Glock, Massa only had himself to blame for putting himself in that position.

#95 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:25

Actually, the Massa incident in Melbourne was not DC's fault, there he just took a normal line and Massa was overly optimistic. It is true that he could give room if he wanted to and thus avoided the accident, but, unlike Glock, Massa only had himself to blame for putting himself in that position.

I disagree. Kimi made the same pass on Rubens without any issue. DC said he had seen Massa but decided to shut the door regardless.

#96 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:39

I would agree it is contentious rather than black-and-white, but the majority here IIRC believe it was DC who was more at fault than Massa.

That said, as Martin said in the last race, due to the high sides and crappy mirroers your vision is severely impaired in any direction other than straight forwards....although the irony may be that it was DC's collision with Fisi(?) at Melbourne in 2007 which helped the moves towards higher sided cockpits.

#97 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 16:39

Ok, you don't know what you are talking about. Massa was up the inside, glock didn't even get his front wing along side DC's rear wheel. DC should of given more room in Oz, he didn't have to at Barca.

#98 Gecko

Gecko

• 800 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 16:55

Ok, you don't know what you are talking about. Massa was up the inside, glock didn't even get his front wing along side DC's rear wheel. DC should of given more room in Oz, he didn't have to at Barca.

Gee, thanks for that observation, it sure shows class.

If Glock wanted to he could be just as to the inside as Massa. Having your nose to the inside is not the only rule that applies when racing. It's one of the most often quoted, but the no changing direction when braking is just as important; in fact it's the only one handled by the FIA sporting regulations:

"Curves, as well as the approach and exit zones thereof, may be negotiated by the drivers in any way they wish, within the limits of the track. Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be done either on the right or on the left. However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers such as premature changes of direction, more than one change of direction, deliberate crowding of cars towards the inside or the outside of the curve or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited and shall be penalised, according to the importance and repetition of the offences, by penalties rangingfrom a fine to the exclusion from the race."

(bold added by me)

You will also note that there is nothing about "overlap" or "nose" anything of the sort in the regulations. So better brush up on your knowledge yourself before passing judgement of others.

#99 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 19:09

What's wrong with Coulthard?

Nothing special; just another yesterday man doing the one season too much.

Advertisement

#100 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 19:13

Originally posted by sopa

I'm not going to search in archives, but AFAIK quite a fair amount of people thought after last season that DC had been the better driver of the RB duo just thanks to higher points score.

That was just race addicted; it looked like a fair amount of people because he repeated it so many times.