Photo

Will you lose interest in F1 if it continues to be a Ferrari 1-2 all season?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you lose interest in F1 if it continues to be a Ferrari 1-2 all season? (244 member(s) have cast votes)

1. No (185 votes [75.82%])

Percentage of vote: 75.82%

2. Yes (59 votes [24.18%])

Percentage of vote: 24.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MOOT

MOOT

• 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 22:49

Justify your choice.

I will still watch it because the fight for the third place looks very tight with equally matched BMW and McLaren.

Advertisement

#2 wllsfjrch

wllsfjrch

• 134 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 23:16

Not a Ferrari fan but if they are clearly going to be miles ahead of the rest all season I'll still watch as long as the two drivers are still allowed to race one another. I have to admit I missed a few GPs toward the end of 2002 when Schumacher was so dominant on his own.

Plus I'm enjoying BMW's rise to near the top. Surely a win will happen this year. Been a big Heidfeld fan since he entered F1 so I'd be annoyed with myself if I'd stopped watching and he finally took his first victory.

#3 MOOT

MOOT

• 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 23:19

Originally posted by wllsfjrch

Plus I'm enjoying BMW's rise to near the top.

That's very optimistic considering Ferrari's current form. The best result can hope for is 2nd if and when Massa has a bad race and even then they will have to fight it out with McLarens.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 23:26

I'll still watch because its not just about 2 cars at the front. Most of the best action actually happens in the mid-field anyway.

#5 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 23:31

I voted 'No' mainly because as it is, I probably couldn't lose more interest in F1. The reason for that is off-topic, so I leave it out.

#6 wllsfjrch

wllsfjrch

• 134 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 23:46

Originally posted by MOOT

That's very optimistic considering Ferrari's current form. The best result can hope for is 2nd if and when Massa has a bad race and even then they will have to fight it out with McLarens.

That's why I said near the top. :) They are still facing a major step to get to the level of challenging the Ferraris but one crazy wet race could make anything happen.

#7 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 00:09

well i didnt lose interest in 2002 (and no im not a ferrari fan,if anything i dislike them,especially when schumi was there) so if its 1-2s mosta the season this year i still don't expect to lose interest

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 00:10

Yes, obviously.

edit: Losing interest isn't the same as stop watching the races, but, for example, I won't try so hard to stay up so late for the fly-away qualifying sessions and races.

#9 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 00:53

I have lost count already. How many 1-2's have they this far?

#10 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 00:54

Originally posted by StefanV
I have lost count already. How many 1-2's have they this far?

2 :) Bahrain and Spain.

#11 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:10

Ack. I thought this was the first and wanted to be funny. And so it turns out I spoke the truth. I had lost track. Forgotten. That's bad.

Then I might as well answer the question. I am still watching it after 2002 & 2004, so I guess I will not lose interest completely, but I will certainly lose some interest. Just as I did 2002. But what made me lose some of my interest was not Ferrari dominating, it was the cynicism that became so apparent. Both from Ferrari itself but also from FIA. Like Lance Armstrong dominating TdF for a whole eternity, that was not problem for me until the doping rumors. I think sport is about how you win, how honest you play. If it is not a honest play the win means nothing and the competition is therefore meaningless.

#12 Eastern

Eastern

• 4,638 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:19

I will keep watching. But then I am one of those people that keeps picking at scabs.

#13 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:41

No.

I have a list of teams I like and teams I don't and ones in between (don't like them perse but would rather see them win then others) but a liked team of mine hasn't won since Brazil 04, and yet I keep watching.

Despite Ferrari winning, there is some good battles. Last season it was a 4 car race for the win, this year it seems a 2 car race. This isn't the best but there is a tasty 4 car battle between McLaren and BMW, and there is a delicious 6 or so car battle between Toyota, Renault, Red Bull, Williams, and Honda look to have joined the back of it as well.

#14 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:55

No

Dominance happens in all sports. This year at least the whole field behind the top 2-3 teams has closed up somewhat. So how things pan out each race is worth watching.

#15 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:12

No.

:cool:

#16 d246

d246

• 1,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:15

Last season's 4 way battle was far better than the likely 'in-team' 2 way battle likely for this year. However at least it will be a two way battle - unlike 2002, 2004 etc.

#17 BerndRos

BerndRos

• 128 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:37

will find it a bit of a yawn , but hey watching GP2 on ITV 4 will more than make up for it .

:smoking:

#18 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:46

No, as Emerson Fittipaldi says don't write the season off just yet. Look at 2006, Renault Pretty much looked unstopable for the first half of the year only for Ferrari to bounce back in the 2nd half...

Anything can happen in F1, and usally does...

#19 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:47

It's allready more exciting than 1988, now that was a REALLY boreing year!!!

Advertisement

#20 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:58

No.

I'm a Ferrari fan so I can't complain!
Rather than domination by one team, it's the difficulty to overtake on some tracks that makes F1 dull at times, like a procession.
Of course races won't be as exciting when one team is dominating, but it'll take quite a lot to make me lose interest in a sport I've loved for so long!

#21 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:19

Originally posted by Atreiu
Yes, obviously.

edit: Losing interest isn't the same as stop watching the races, but, for example, I won't try so hard to stay up so late for the fly-away qualifying sessions and races.

It agree with this, I'll still watch the races, but I wouldn't bother to follow all the practice/Qualifying sessions so religiously.

In 2002/2004 I watched all the races, the only dominant season that I've misses races in since the early 1980's was 1992, because I couldn't stand the moustached Whinger.

#22 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:41

No, because there is going to be a great battle between BMW & McLaren. Also in the midfield it's very tight, there are Renault, Toyota, Red Bull, Williams.

#23 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:43

I'd prefer it if they didn't. One team strolling to the championship is always boring, no matter who it is.

But the midfield fight is fantastic this year. That's the main reason I'm watching.

#24 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:55

No - because I'm a Formula 1 fan.

#25 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:07

Hell yeh. Fortunately it won't happen. BMW and McLaren will keep them honest.

#26 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:08

No - it's not about who wins, it's about the excitement of the contest.

The Spanish Grand Prix wasn't boring because it was a Ferrari one-two, it was boring because there were only two changes of position on track that the cameras caught after the first lap. One was a BMW passing a Force India, the other was a Red Bull passing a Super Aguri.

Whether you blame the aerodynamics, the refuelling rules, or the circuits (I tend to blame the first two) something has to be done and, hoepfully, is being done for next year.

#27 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:42

Not a Ferrari fan but if they are clearly going to be miles ahead of the rest all season I'll still watch as long as the two drivers are still allowed to race one another. I have to admit I missed a few GPs toward the end of 2002 when Schumacher was so dominant on his own.

Plus I'm enjoying BMW's rise to near the top. Surely a win will happen this year. Been a big Heidfeld fan since he entered F1 so I'd be annoyed with myself if I'd stopped watching and he finally took his first victory.

Second that. Plus id like to see Hamilton and Kovi battle it out a bit, even if it is behind the ferraris. Also hope Alonso gets on the podium, and beats a mclaren at some point. :stoned:

#28 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:46

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
No - it's not about who wins, it's about the excitement of the contest.

The Spanish Grand Prix wasn't boring because it was a Ferrari one-two, it was boring because there were only two changes of position on track that the cameras caught after the first lap. One was a BMW passing a Force India, the other was a Red Bull passing a Super Aguri.

Whether you blame the aerodynamics, the refuelling rules, or the circuits (I tend to blame the first two) something has to be done and, hoepfully, is being done for next year.

:up: Agree.

#29 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:58

Being a Kimi and Ferrari fan... No, I wouldn't mind.

However, if it continues next year.. Well, who knows?

#30 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 13:13

By the way, watching the races only to see who's 3rd sounds as exciting as trading sex for masturbation.

#31 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 14:24

By the way, watching the races only to see who's 3rd sounds as exciting as trading sex for masturbation.

Quite exciting then

#32 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 16:06

No.I was captivated the year Maclaren nearly pulled off a whitewash.Man that was some season :up:

#33 John B

John B

• 7,961 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 16:19

Not really, since if it does turn out to be a Ferrari walk, that means Hamilton and McLaren have fallen off drastically, which is a story in itself. Though I think LH without a teammate truly challenging should be able to accumulate enough points to stay within reach. There's also BMW and the somewhat rare situation of a 2x WDC trying to do something with a second rate team as well.

#34 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 16:31

No, in much the same way the Stoner/Ducati domination last year in MGP never turned me off. I still enjoyed every second.

#35 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 16:55

:up: :lol: So true, sadly.

#36 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 19:36

Originally posted by MOOT
Will you lose interest in F1 if it continues to be a Ferrari 1-2 all season?

If Raikkonen and Massa deliver another 1987 or 1989: Definitely no.

If they deliver another 2002: Probably yes.

#37 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 19:37

Worse. Its like trading sex for playing golf.

#38 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 19:39

I have seen so many Kimi's DNF that I can easily watch "Ferrari all season".

#39 four1

four1

• 507 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 20:12

No. I am a tifoso.

I also want to see Ferrari keep on dominating this new millenium as they have been doing so far.

Advertisement

#40 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 20:21

Oh well, watching BMW and McLaren battle for being best of the rest can be entertaining too. :lol:

#41 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 21:00

Well, if Ferrari (or any other team) keep on dominating, I'll be massively disappointed. But, come to think of it, I followed the Schumacher years quite closely. I doubt that I will lose interest, well, may be just a little! :) I voted no.

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 21:55

Originally posted by Fatgadget
No.I was captivated the year Maclaren nearly pulled off a whitewash.Man that was some season :up:

That season was terribly dull, I thought. But more because the Ferraris had pretty much locked out positions three and four. IMO they'd have done much better to promote the battle for the Jim Clark Cup and dismiss the Mclarens as very fast dinosaurs. :lol:

#43 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• 173 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:10

I seriously doubt it will be pure Ferrari dominance. McLaren and BMW aren't so far away, and the season is just a few races old. Anything can happen between the 3 teams.

Yeah, Kimi's lead is 9 points but only one technical retirement can change it.

#44 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:40

Even if some of the races are striaght forward, one of the best things about 2002 was the qualifying sessions, because the Williams was using it's tyres up bascially for qualifying, and it was a match and at times better for getting a one lap hotlap then the ferrari, and Montoya scored quite a few poles, the quali sessions in 2002 were very cool.

When a car is dominating on Sunday, don't mean Saturdays are boring, and 2002 we still had the old 12 lap qualifying format.

It's the quali format that ruins the delight of a session, now it's all geared for the race.

Monaco qualifying sessions were awesome, one lap quali ruined it, current formate makes it better then one lap quali, but we get what we get.

#45 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:44

Originally posted by SeanValen

It's the quali format that ruins the delight of a session, now it's all geared for the race.

Which sounds perfectly fine, IMO. To me quali is relatively unimportant compared to the race.

...or, should be. Nowadays one lap in Q3 can make more difference than 1.5 hours of racing :(

If we had cars that can pass each other, there would be less complaining about qualifying format.

#46 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:49

If Ferrari where dominant, which they are not but it just seems that way because of weak competition not able to execute a race weekend correctly, then it wouldnt be worth watching. Massa simply can't challenge Kimi for a championship in the same car.

#47 Tigershark

Tigershark

• 996 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:21

Originally posted by Spunout
Nowadays one lap in Q3 can make more difference than 1.5 hours of racing :(

Which is why (one of) the first thing said to Raikkonen after he won the Spanish GP was a congratulation on his great qualifying lap the day before. Oh well.

#48 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:48

I will never lose interest in F1.

#49 vaavu

vaavu

• 142 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:43

Damn, I think is selected the wrong option! You can't even change your vote afterwards. :o

Firstly, this season is definitely not over. Last season, the balance between different teams changed dramatically from one race to the next. I am quite sure that we will see races where McLaren will dominate over Ferrari. Further, there are still some question marks over Ferrari reliability...

Secondly, even if one team did dominate over the whole season, the races can be still exciting. Kimi and Massa seem to be able to genuinely race against each other (at least until the final pitstops). Further, racing in the midpack can still be very exciting.

So my answer is: I wouldn't lose my interest nor stop watching the races.

#50 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:42

Even though Ferrari are not my favorite team I think it could be a great season if Massa can step up to the plate and take on Kimi.