Photo

Red Bull F1 in Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 18:43

The Red Bull F1 car (Cosworth V10) did some demonstration runs here on Sunday. Amazing event. I only got to see one end of the stretch, but got to see lots of donuts and some launches. The noise is just wonderful. I haven't heard an F1 car in almost 5 years, but it was so sweet.

Sebastian Buemi drove the car. It broke down on the 2nd run I saw and he had to get out and walk back to the starting point.

Some pics taken by my brother in law.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 18:59

Great pictures. Begs me to wonder how popular F1 is at the moment in Jamaica?

#3 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 19:17

Great pics! Could they come to Washington, DC?

They could totally get Adrian Fenty involved and put the DC flag where the Jamaican flag is on that car. If that doesn't work, contact Denny Hoyer and/or Chris Van Hollen. They represent Maryland, I can get them on board.

#4 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 19:18

Jamaicans LOVE cars. 95% of the people that showed up know little or nothing about F1, but the noise and the glamour of the sport pulled a good crowd. There were also our local racing "heroes" showing off with their rally cars, bikes and go karts.

There is a small group of people that really follow F1, but it is a really small group.

#5 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 20:09

brilliant pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us :D

#6 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 20:29

:clap: Great pics - Thanks! What was the purpose of the event? Sell more Red Bull I expect but Jamaica? A good distance away from Istanbul! Probably an old chassis but would still need a number of engineers to get the car going.

#7 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 20:39

Originally posted by SirSaltire
:clap: Great pics - Thanks! What was the purpose of the event? Sell more Red Bull I expect but Jamaica? A good distance away from Istanbul! Probably an old chassis but would still need a number of engineers to get the car going.

The car came with a full crew it seems, cuz when it broke down, quite a few team members rushed to push it back to the garage. No one at the event would know the difference between a 2008 chassis or a 2005 chassis.

Red Bull is hugely popular here, despite the small market. They have held the soap box race here as well. Red Bull & Vodka is the drink of choice for many. And we do like to drink.

#8 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 21:07

Originally posted by F1Johnny

The car came with a full crew it seems, cuz when it broke down, quite a few team members rushed to push it back to the garage. No one at the event would know the difference between a 2008 chassis or a 2005 chassis.

Red Bull is hugely popular here, despite the small market. They have held the soap box race here as well. Red Bull & Vodka is the drink of choice for many. And we do like to drink.

Good for Red Bull to put on a show even if as you say the market is small. You know I have never tried Red Bull and Vodka but I may give it a go! :smoking:

#9 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:55

heh, thx for pix Mr. Johnny. :up:
Love the Jamiacan flag on the rear wing end plate :up: :up:

That car looks like a STR1 (which is a an updated RB1) in RedBull livery. :drunk:

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:27

nice pics :up:

#11 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,537 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 13:43

Originally posted by BuonoBruttoCattivo
heh, thx for pix Mr. Johnny. :up:
Love the Jamiacan flag on the rear wing end plate :up: :up:

That car looks like a STR1 (which is a an updated RB1) in RedBull livery. :drunk:

The flag on the end plate was a nice touch. I hope to upload a 10 second video later this week.

It's great driving past the intersection int he morning and still seeing the tyre marks from the donuts.