UK Stock Cars then and now, with 40+ years between

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 David Kipling

David Kipling

• 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:58

:drunk:

The same sport and the same formula, in 1965, and in 2008. I suspect the drastic difference is reflected in every formula of motor sport.

Posted Image

That was "Jumbo" Tustin at Brands Hatch: Ford 292 V-8, Morris van rear axle on Ferguson tractor struts, Ford body with Topolino hood.

Posted Image

Frankie Wainman: Typically today's top cars run a full race Chev 400-454 motor, fully adjustable suspension and of course custom chassis, BUT THOSE BUMPERS tell us that the track action is unchanged since the sport's inception in 1954!

Photographer credit is on the photo; I forget which website it was originally linked from. Herridge is a brilliant and prolific track photographer in UK oval racing.

Advertisement

#2 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 21:55

Thought I would add this for those that have not viewed. Some very nice photographs included.

Henry :wave:

http://www.oldstox.c...reSeniorF1s.htm

#3 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,062 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 22:20

That 515 car reminds me of Aussie stockrods of the late 70s only they did not have as many bars.

#4 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:18

I was an avid Stock Cars fan at the race tracks like Brands & Snetterton during the late 60's early 70's.

My local Favorite being Knebworth based George Ansell 375, 1967 world champion.

I actually run an online league for F1 Stock cars of course we use the latest version of cars like the Wainman one shown. Complete with graded starts and on Shale and Tarmac .
Great fun but certainly different from the normal non contact circuit racing .

Pete

#5 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:56

A few vintage shots from Cowdenbeath
[IMG]http://img142.images...51850nr9.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img21.imagesh...51757ov3.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img152.images...51452os3.th.jpg[/IMG]

#6 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:45

TV series about the fortunes of the Wainmans and Smiths in UK Stock Car racing. I remember seeing Teh Wainmans and Lunds battling it out at Odsal stadium as a nipper. This brings it all back. Great to see the underbelly of the series too, quite the opposite of F1 :lol:

http://sniffpetrol.c...vision-tonight/

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ears_Episode_1/

#7 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:08

A magazine (CCC?) once described UK short oval racing as "populated by steely-eyed Essex men with tatoos, beer guts, pockets full of used 50s and a shooter in the boot".
If the TV series intends to dispel that image, it hasn't started too well...

Edited by RS2000, 03 August 2010 - 16:09.

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:29

I just wish they would lose those fugly roof mounted wings. They aren't big or clever....well, yes, they are big, but definitely not clever. Just an American style affectation IMHO.

#9 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 17:59

I just wish they would lose those fugly roof mounted wings. They aren't big or clever....well, yes, they are big, but definitely not clever. Just an American style affectation IMHO.

I suspect that increased advertising space is an important factor in fitting those ugly wings, which seem to be pretty much universal, but surely they can't have very much aerodynamic effect around a short oval? I saw that programme about stock car racing on BBC1 last night, and it all looked like some kind of Formula Chav to me.

#10 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 21:16

I suspect that increased advertising space is an important factor in fitting those ugly wings, which seem to be pretty much universal, but surely they can't have very much aerodynamic effect around a short oval?

In US Sprint Car racing, they do have a DRAMATIC effect on speed and driving technique!

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 21:53

In US Sprint Car racing, they do have a DRAMATIC effect on speed and driving technique!

Maybe, but surely it all depends on the shortness of your oval. The ones in the TV programme, which I doubt if you saw, were around a quarter of a mile, I've seen larger fairground dodgem tracks.

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:13

It all looked like some kind of Formula Chav to me.

I believe that they use small-block Chavvy motors.

I'll get me coat...

#13 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:45

Maybe, but surely it all depends on the shortness of your oval. The ones in the TV programme, which I doubt if you saw, were around a quarter of a mile, I've seen larger fairground dodgem tracks.

I didn't see it, no, but in the US they race on quarter-miles, too. I don't have comparative times from such a short track, but on the Knoxville half-mile the WoO once ran two shows on consecutive days, same drivers, same cars, only difference was the the wings on the first day: lap times were shorter by about two seconds, roughly ten percent! That is, even the best didn't stand a chance to qualify for the main event if they didn't have wings, 25th on the first day was faster than the pole man on day two!

#14 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:39

Dave Edmunds' Slipping Away video on You Tube seems to have some footage of these cars from circa 1983 when the song was a minor hit ( # 39 ) in the USA. Or are those a different class of vehicles?

Paul

#15 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 22:40

I suspect that increased advertising space is an important factor in fitting those ugly wings, which seem to be pretty much universal, but surely they can't have very much aerodynamic effect around a short oval? I saw that programme about stock car racing on BBC1 last night, and it all looked like some kind of Formula Chav to me.

I thought they were weighted on one side depending whether it was a clockwise or anti oval.

#16 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,062 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:50

As has been pointed out they make the cars alot more stable and quicker. They are also a good 'cushion' when they roll. Though that one needs to be lifted off the bodywork 6" to be far more effective.