Ferrari A1 GP Car

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SAJ1000

SAJ1000

• 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 13:44

Hello All,

This is my first post on the board after hanging around quietly in the shadows for the last few years enjoying the comments. I am a true F1 fanatic and have been since 1978 when I attended my first GP. (I was only 5 years old so I will leave you to do the maths!).

Anyway, given that the new A1GP 2008/09 season is due to commence again in under 5 months I wanted to ask any of our knowledgeable Ferrari friends if they have any news on the new car currently under construction in Maranello? I would have thought that it's track debut must be close as they have to test it before handing it over to the teams for organised pre-season testing? Finally, is Michael S going to be the driver to put it through its paces?

Advertisement

#2 Ogami musashi

Ogami musashi

• 793 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 13:50

There's still possibility MS will test it yes; The car is for the moment under secrecy.
It has 620HP.

Note that there's an A2 deal, with another ferrari provided chassis+Engine, around 400HP.

#3 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 14:16

I believe i read a interview where Ferrari say it will be based on the F2004 championship winning car

#4 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 14:22

Originally posted by Hacklerf
I believe i read a interview where Ferrari say it will be based on the F2004 championship winning car

So it will be faster than the current F1 cars? (The F2004 still holds most of the lap records).

#5 jay_reed

jay_reed

• 118 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 14:26

I read somewhere that the engine will be based off the f430 gt 4.3 v8. 620hp sounds good.

#6 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 14:35

Originally posted by SAJ1000
Hello All,

This is my first post on the board after hanging around quietly in the shadows for the last few years enjoying the comments. I am a true F1 fanatic and have been since 1978 when I attended my first GP. (I was only 5 years old so I will leave you to do the maths!).

Anyway, given that the new A1GP 2008/09 season is due to commence again in under 5 months I wanted to ask any of our knowledgeable Ferrari friends if they have any news on the new car currently under construction in Maranello? I would have thought that it's track debut must be close as they have to test it before handing it over to the teams for organised pre-season testing? Finally, is Michael S going to be the driver to put it through its paces?

There are so far no details. It was said it will get inspiration from F2007, but this has to be different quite a lot. A1GP prefers mechanical grip and aero difficulties of current formula cars are no good for A1GP.

In October, Autosport magazine wrote:

The first A1GP chassis to be designed by Ferrari will be loosely based on the Italian manufacturer's current (2007) Formula One car

Ferrari will not build chassis, nor will design them, only will asist. Furthermore, Ferrari will not manufacture chasiss, as they have no capacity for it. They will be manufactured by third party.

"We will always have cars that will overtake each other, that's most important to us," Teixeira said. "F1 cars in their current format aren't going to do that for us.

"Obviously Ferrari has to start somewhere in designing our car, and we have agreed that it will start off looking like the F2007 Ferrari.

"But it will have to accommodate the bigger engine, so it will have a different back and some how will keep something of what A1 looks like today.

"I honestly believe that with Ferrari designers it will be an incredible looking car."

#7 rhm

rhm

• 990 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 15:36

The only quotes I've read from the horse's mouth (so to speak) are from Rory Byrne. He was brought in as a consultant on the design since he no longer works on the F1 side of things. He has said it will be based in appearance on the F2004 - the last F1 car Byrne was chief designer on, but it will "not be an F1 car" because that would be too expensive and also, frankly, pointless when in a spec car you can achieve performance in ways that are easier, but would be outside the rules of F1.

Power levels are a matter of conjecture at the moment because a number of 'goal' figures have been bandied about, but there is no firm news yet even on the layout of the engine as far as I've seen anyway. They are aiming for power close to, or perhaps even exceeding a little, GP2 cars.

#8 Ogami musashi

Ogami musashi

• 793 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 16:29

tony texiera said the engine will be 620HP.

#9 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 16:30

Welcome SAJ! :clap:

You can tell us more about your ancient self here;
http://forums.autosp...&threadid=53750

#10 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 17:55

Originally posted by rhm
The only quotes I've read from the horse's mouth (so to speak) are from Rory Byrne. He was brought in as a consultant on the design since he no longer works on the F1 side of things. He has said it will be based in appearance on the F2004 - the last F1 car Byrne was chief designer on, but it will "not be an F1 car" because that would be too expensive and also, frankly, pointless when in a spec car you can achieve performance in ways that are easier, but would be outside the rules of F1.

Hmmm, I've never read that. Are you not mixing things up with an interview I posted a while back ?

http://forums.autosp...rne#post3021776

#11 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 14:48

Extrac have the contract to build the gearboxes for next years car, and are constructing them at the moment

#12 Ogami musashi

Ogami musashi

• 793 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 15:40

Olivier panis reveals the new A1 GP car will be much quicker than the current, according to panis around 8 to 9 seconds a lap.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/67209

#13 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 16:47

Originally posted by Ogami musashi
Olivier panis reveals the new A1 GP car will be much quicker than the current, according to panis around 8 to 9 seconds a lap.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/67209

That's a pretty huge jump.

At Sepang, they can lap at around 1:48 - 1:49 compared to F1 at 1:35 - 1:36.

They improve by 8 seconds and they will get very close to GP2 etc.

#14 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 17:33

Originally posted by Ogami musashi
There's still possibility MS will test it yes; The car is for the moment under secrecy.
It has 620HP.

Note that there's an A2 deal, with another ferrari provided chassis+Engine, around 400HP.

It has to be basically good looking. I know it's pretty lame, but half the reason I couldn't stomach A1GP before was because of the ugly cars, and piss weak engine note.

#15 rhm

rhm

• 990 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:55

Woah, it looks exactly like an F1 car.

Which is pretty ironic given F1 cars are going to look very different in 2009. Still, definite improvement on the old one, though I worry about the overtaking - it doesn't look big enough to have large venturi tunnels, so I'd like to know what they have done to keep the good overtaking performance A1GP had with the old car.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/67377

#16 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:02

More discussion here. Didn't see this earlier thread when I started it (it had falled off the front page a while ago)

http://forums.autosp...threadid=101250

#17 rhm

rhm

• 990 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:07

thread merge mods?