Photo

Should TOYOTA hire Sato with immediate effect?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Should TOYOTA hire Sato with immediate effect? (157 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes, at least as an option for next year (32 votes [20.38%])

Percentage of vote: 20.38%

2. Yes, and put him immediately in this year's car (at the cost of Glock) (34 votes [21.66%])

Percentage of vote: 21.66%

3. No, because Toyota has Nakajima (19 votes [12.10%])

Percentage of vote: 12.10%

4. No, Sato had his chance, game over. (72 votes [45.86%])

Percentage of vote: 45.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:11

I think Toyota should hire Sato with immediate effect and try to give him an F1 seat at the cost of Timo Glock who simply cannot make an impression, not on the track, not off the track.

I don't think Sato will be WDC one day, but he's exciting to watch and as David Coulthard says: "unpredictable" :lol: when it comes to overtaking him. In fact I think that he did become older and wiser.

Come on lets give Sato a comeback boost! (... for sure people at Toyota are watching this BB...)

----
Disclaimer: poll was put together hastily and in excitement.... so there might be an option missing :wave:

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:14

Yes, for comical value.

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:19

what about running him in a 3rd car?

#4 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:22

I don't see TK doing any better than Glock, although I like him. It's hardly fair to sack TG on basis of nationality.

#5 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:23

Originally posted by pingu666

are 3rd cars possible?

#6 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:34

No. I'd like to see him back but his nationality has already saved his career too many times.

Also, Glock is good and should get better.

#7 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:35

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

are 3rd cars possible?

I think they are, but with the consent of all other teams on the grid.
And with the midgrid so tightly packed the other teams aren't going to welcome more competition in the form of a third Toyota.

#8 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:37

now, if you were asking me this 12 months ago.......... :lol: bye Ralf, but now? I don't think so, Taku's an excellent driver still but I don't think he's markedly better than either of the current stable, even TG so......no, I'm afraid Taku's F1 time may be up, and it is a real shame :(
Having said that, i'm sure he has oodles of experience and racecraft to offer for Le Mans, IRL/CC or many other top-line frmulae around the world......i'd almost be sad to 'just' see him in JTCC.

Unlucky Taku, and not for the first time but thanks for some stunning memories in F1 and here's hoping you make some more in the future :up: :up:

#9 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 18:46

Originally posted by wrighty
Unlucky Taku, and not for the first time but thanks for some stunning memories in F1 and here's hoping you make some more in the future :up: :up:

To be fair, I think he had a good shot. In 2004 he was in the best car on the grid but only managed one podium compared to many from Button. I think he's a great character in the sport, had pulled the odd inspirational move, but has had a good shot.

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,772 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 19:10

Having said that, i'm sure he has oodles of experience and racecraft to offer for [...] IRL

Now that would add comedic value. Incredibly dangerous comedic value, but comedic value none the less. :)

#11 miniman

miniman

• 2,457 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 19:29

Sato would make Sundays more entertaining, not at Toyota but at Honda, in place of.... hummm.... take your pick!

#12 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 19:34

now, if you were asking me this 12 months ago.......... :lol: bye Ralf, but now? I don't think so, Taku's an excellent driver still but I don't think he's markedly better than either of the current stable, even TG so......no, I'm afraid Taku's F1 time may be up, and it is a real shame :(
Having said that, i'm sure he has oodles of experience and racecraft to offer for Le Mans, IRL/CC or many other top-line frmulae around the world......i'd almost be sad to 'just' see him in JTCC.

Sadly have to agree. His correct place is in a Super Aguri or Force India type team, I can't see him doing well at Toyota, Trulli would hammer him. But it would be great to see him do well in the States.

#13 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,270 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 19:44

I cannot fathom where people get the idea Timo Glock is no good.

#14 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 19:46

Originally posted by pacificquay
I cannot fathom where people get the idea Timo Glock is no good.

I don't think he's useless, but he's having a poor season to date.
He should be blowing Trulli into the weeds if he wants to be seen as a man of the future.

#15 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 19:59

hamilton kinda raised the bar for rookies didnt he?

#16 Beyond

Beyond

• 403 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 20:00

it's not toyota, it's ferrari the right place

#17 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 20:04

I would say yes because it would piss Honda off, and give Toyota massive PR kudos in Japan. Lots of people who are looking to buy cars in Japan would buy Toyota rather than Honda because of it.

#18 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 20:24

Originally posted by Josta
I would say yes because it would piss Honda off, and give Toyota massive PR kudos in Japan. Lots of people who are looking to buy cars in Japan would buy Toyota rather than Honda because of it.

I think there are more promising Japanese drivers around. Taku is 32 this year which is a bit old...

#19 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 21:08

Originally posted by potmotr

I think there are more promising Japanese drivers around. Taku is 32 this year which is a bit old...

Who cares? The fact is that Sato is an idol in Japan. If Toyota took him when Honda abandoned him, the Japanese would see Toyota as the hero's and Honda as the bad guys.

Advertisement

#20 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 21:30

In my opinion, Takuma has shown little more than overly agressive driving, causing more incidents than successes.

He was never good enough for F1 in my book.

#21 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 21:50

sato had the best f3 season ever didnt he ?

he was good enough. not the best driver on the grid, most entertaining? possibly :)

#22 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 21:52

Originally posted by paranoik0
Yes, for comical value.

That's the only way I see it.

Satomania is over people. He has been givne a shot with 3 teams and could not do anything. True SA was not the best team in F1, but he did not show enough at Honda to keep the seat that went to Barrichello. He was given his first shot with Jordan, and did nothing there either.

No. He is done in F1 as a driver. The new Japanese driver out there is Kazuki Nakajima.

he was good enough. not the best driver on the grid, most entertaining? possibly :)

Best British F3 season yes. 16 wins in 25 starts. But Lewis Hamilton had the best F3 season with 15 wins in 20 starts in the F3 Euroseries in 2005.

#23 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:05

Eh, no?

Sato had 16 wins over 25 races (64%)

Senna and Magnussen had 12 from 16 (75%).

And sadly, a great F3 season does not mean you are capable of F1, as Magnussen's career plainly shows.

#24 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:09

Originally posted by Mox

Eh, no?

Sato had 16 wins over 25 races (64%)

Senna and Magnussen had 12 from 16 (75%).

And sadly, a great F3 season does not mean you are capable of F1, as Magnussen's career plainly shows.

Hamilton also had a 75% winning record.

F3 isn't supposed to be the series that feeds into F1 though. The former F3000 and now GP2 are that series. F3 feeds into GP2.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,772 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:16

Originally posted by IOU 16

Hamilton also had a 75% winning record.

F3 isn't supposed to be the series that feeds into F1 though. The former F3000 and now GP2 are that series. F3 feeds into GP2.

How many GP2/F3000/F2 championship winners became World Champions?

And how many F3 champions? :drunk:

#26 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:25

sato still got more wins in a season tho ;) just a lesser %, its a decent indication of there being some talent there...

we now know sato isnt good enough to win championships probably, but hes good enough tobe in the pack, honda replaced him with rubens whos done what exactly ? I like rubens but i dont think hes done much, if any better than what sato would of done...

#27 Bumper

Bumper

• 1,967 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:26

I think Sato is underrated, he's matured a lot since (excuse the pun) crashing onto the F1 scene.

I'd say Sato in, Barrichello out at Honda next year, as Barrichello is on the final year of his contract.

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:30

No, it wouldn't really make any difference.

#29 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:42

In 2004 he was in the best car on the grid

except for the ferrari

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:53

3rd cars are not allowed.

#31 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 22:58

Sato is a lot better than Glock, for sure just that Glock seems to talk more than Sato in German... :mad:

#32 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 23:00

Originally posted by One
Sato is a lot better than Glock, for sure just that Glock seems to talk more than Sato in German... :mad:

He's a GP2 Champ. Give the guy some time before throwing him under the bus and out of F1. Remember folks, he is with Toyota. The greatest underacheivers in F1 history.

to go back to F3 Champs v. Non F3 champs.

F3 WC’s
Jim Clark - 1960 (Junior Title)
Jackie Stewart - 1964
Nelson Piques - 1978
Alain Prost -1979 (French and Euro titles)
Aryton Senna - 1983
Mika Haikinen - 1990
Michael Schumacher - 1990

Not F3 WC’s
Jack Brabham - 1960
Denny Hulme - 1961
Fernando Alonso - 1999 (WSR)

#33 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 23:09

Neither Toyota or Honda are at the position where it is the quality of drives that prevents them from winning races. Glock 8th or Sato 10th should not matter much. But obviously it does.

#34 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:10

For next season, perhaps. Glock should be allowed to prove himself. On the other hand... Sato, in my opinion, is not any worse than Glock or Trulli.

He should be taken up as a test driver or third driver for the season, I think.

#35 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:39

To be fair, I think he had a good shot. In 2004 he was in the best car on the grid but only managed one podium compared to many from Button. I think he's a great character in the sport, had pulled the odd inspirational move, but has had a good shot.

Dont think the Honda was better than the ferrari....

Anyway, no I think Nakajima deserves a good shot at F1 now instead. Toyota would never employ a Honda man alongside another Japanese driver who has Toyota roots. Sato is still a great driver, who has recieved alot of unfair critisism but I think hes had his time in F1 and had some great drives. I wish him good luck.

#36 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 13:26

Originally posted by UPRC
For next season, perhaps. Glock should be allowed to prove himself. On the other hand... Sato, in my opinion, is not any worse than Glock or Trulli.

He should be taken up as a test driver or third driver for the season, I think.

:up:

#37 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 13:34

Originally posted by thiscocks

Dont think the Honda was better than the ferrari....

Sorry, I meant best car on the grid, except for the Ferrari...
Good spotting!

#38 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 13:45

If Sato was so important to Japanese business and the nation generally, Super Aguri would have found plenty of sponsors. Where was Sony? How about Nintendo, Capcom, or a myriad other tech and software companies?

Sato should be given a drive based purely on his ability and results, which to my mind puts him in the running for an F1 seat but not at the expense of another driver. Test position for Sato, I think.

#39 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 17:50

I voted "No", as I think that Sato did nothing to deserve another shot, but must admit that last year he impressed me a lot. As for Glock, he should be given more time. Yes, he hasn't shown anything special this season, but it's still a long way to go. Plus, he's the reigning GP2 champ, so he has earned himself at least a year of F1. What I'm more curious about is why nobody advocates Davidson's rightful claim to a place on the f1 grid? I mean, the guy was far more impressive this year than Taku and his 14th fastest laptime from Bahrain is a good indication of that.

Advertisement

#40 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 18:04

Originally posted by Andrew, Ford &F1
I voted "No", as I think that Sato did nothing to deserve another shot, but must admit that last year he impressed me a lot. As for Glock, he should be given more time. Yes, he hasn't shown anything special this season, but it's still a long way to go. Plus, he's the reigning GP2 champ, so he has earned himself at least a year of F1. What I'm more curious about is why nobody advocates Davidson's rightful claim to a place on the f1 grid? I mean, the guy was far more impressive this year than Taku and his 14th fastest laptime from Bahrain is a good indication of that.

Glock is the reigning GP2 champ in a field that was vastly inferior to any previous GP2 field. He was in F1, failed to impress, then failed to impress in Champ car, then took several years after backpeddling to GP2 to do anything. I am going to go out on limb here. Glock is shite. From F1 nobody to Champ car nobody, to GP2 nobody to GP2 champ in a crap year. Then back to crap F1 nobody.

#41 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:14

Should TOYOTA hire Sato with immediate effect?

No, if anyone's going to hire one of the ex-Aguri drivers they should take Davidson because he's better.

#42 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:52

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk

No, if anyone's going to hire one of the ex-Aguri drivers they should take Davidson because he's better.

Better in what way? Sato thrashed him in pretty much every race.

#43 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:13

Better in what way? Sato thrashed him in pretty much every race.

Unsurprisingly, I don't agree. Even a cursory glance at the statistic reveals the idea Sato "thrashed' Davidson is at odds with reality.

Looking at how those races panned out, factoring in Davidson's considerable advantage in qualifying in the later part of 2007, his speed so far this season (especially at Catalunya as has already been mentioned) and what we have been told about Sato's leading role within the team, I am confident that Davidson is the better driver.

#44 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:31

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk

Unsurprisingly, I don't agree. Even a cursory glance at the statistic reveals the idea Sato "thrashed' Davidson is at odds with reality.

Looking at how those races panned out, factoring in Davidson's considerable advantage in qualifying in the later part of 2007, his speed so far this season (especially at Catalunya as has already been mentioned) and what we have been told about Sato's leadig role within the team, I am confident that Davidson is the better driver.

Well, in their 21 races together, Davidson finished ahead of Sato 7 times. Davidson scored no points compared to Sato's 4 and Davidsons best finishing position was 11th compared to Sato's 6th. How you can equate this to Davidson being better I have no idea. Nationality?

#45 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:03

Well, in their 21 races together, Davidson finished ahead of Sato 7 times. Davidson scored no points compared to Sato's 4 and Davidsons best finishing position was 11th compared to Sato's 6th. How you can equate this to Davidson being better I have no idea. Nationality?

by looking at circumstance i imagine. :rolleyes:

#46 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:10

Sato has the upperhands then if you look at the circumstances. 6 th to 11th 0 o 4. Obviously, Sato overtook Alonsoad Raikkonen as well.

#47 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:57

Originally posted by One
Sato has the upperhands then if you look at the circumstances. 6 th to 11th 0 o 4. Obviously, Sato overtook Alonsoad Raikkonen as well.

jesus man. the finishing position shows nothing of the circumstances.

and sato overtook alonso when he'd crippled his car - this is the circumstance you leave out - but it was still bloody good.

can't recall him passing kr so have no comment to make there

#48 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 13:00

OK. I understood. In your opinion can you specify what situation made Davison look better than Sato?

#49 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 13:07

Glock is the reigning GP2 champ in a field that was vastly inferior to any previous GP2 field. He was in F1, failed to impress, then failed to impress in Champ car, then took several years after backpeddling to GP2 to do anything. I am going to go out on limb here. Glock is shite. From F1 nobody to Champ car nobody, to GP2 nobody to GP2 champ in a crap year. Then back to crap F1 nobody.

2004: Glock scores a point on his F1 debut. A lucky point, but still a point.
2005: Champcar Rookie of the Year.
2006: GP2. Once he has his hands on a competitive car, he's a match for Hamilton and Piquet.
2007: GP2 champion.

#50 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 13:07

Originally posted by One
OK. I understood. In your opinion can you specify what situation made Davison look better than Sato?

its f1fanatics opinion...