Photo

Vettel; Aspiring Whiner?: A Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 luskiiimj

luskiiimj

• 228 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:09

First the caveat: I like SV. I think it's likely he will do well long term, possibly very well. It is not my opinion that he is disappointing just because he's had a bit of bad luck. But....

I have to say that it's been a little distressing the amount of "nudge, nudge" insinuating about the new car being delayed. {exaggeration - "What a disappointment it's been. Why's it delayed, oh yeah, my teammate wrecked it. That's why I haven't been winning races."}

-So-
Granted I'm exaggerating, but as I said, I do like the kid. My question is therefore: Am I reading too much into the stories - have there just been too many Vettel stories about the new car - is he just defending himself - possibly a media creation - or...[flamebait] is he starting to whine?

PS: The insinuation (after he'd seen the tape mind you) that Sato(i think) pushed him in to Sutil is what got me thinking.

Advertisement

#2 sanjiro

sanjiro

• 1,895 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:50

Let it become a pattern before you make that accusation.
Too many people think any driver that opens his mouth more than KR is whining.

If all you hear from him over this year is how its the car, the team or other drivers then you could call him a whiner.

#3 luskiiimj

luskiiimj

• 228 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:30

Well your first statement is exactly what I am not doing. I'm asking a question. Sort of wondering to myself, "is this becoming a pattern?" And as to the KR media template, I thought I addressed that by saying that I recognized that the media may be creating/attempting to create the issue.

Your second statement, I agree with. In fact, when you say, "If all you hear from him over this year is how its the car, the team or other drivers then you could call him a whiner." You are restating more concisely my point or rather, my question.

#4 Torch

Torch

• 254 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:34

Can't say I've noticed it, but given that most F1 drivers are not always 'quite there' personality wise, I probably give him some slack because he's so young.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:02

Originally posted by luskiiimj
Well your first statement is exactly what I am not doing. I'm asking a question. Sort of wondering to myself, "is this becoming a pattern?" And as to the KR media template, I thought I addressed that by saying that I recognized that the media may be creating/attempting to create the issue.

I'd say it was you trying to create an issue. In your OP you even say you are exaggerating.

#6 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:04

No, he's not a whiner.

I think the only driver who maybe puts across that impression is Ant Davison but now that SA has folded, well given SA's whole 2008 season really... maybe he had good reason to.

#7 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:13

I think Vettel has good reason to whine. He's been taken out on lap one in three out of four races. That must be hugely frustrating, and I guess he is giving more 'what could have been' interviews than those doing the business.

#8 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 15:44

hes the new webber, and even quicker in that respect ;)

#9 F1_conman

F1_conman

• 505 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 16:46

Well if I didn't finish all four GPs due to questionable circumstances then yeah - I'd whine like a baby.
And yes - young Vetter is still a baby if on this year's F1 grid.

#10 luskiiimj

luskiiimj

• 228 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 16:54

I think I like your explanation, Potmotr. I can see it from that perspective. And judging by the other responses I think it's safe to say that SV doesn't need to worry about it.

#11 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 17:08

Originally posted by luskiiimj
First the caveat: I like SV. I think it's likely he will do well long term, possibly very well. It is not my opinion that he is disappointing just because he's had a bit of bad luck. But....

I have to say that it's been a little distressing the amount of "nudge, nudge" insinuating about the new car being delayed. {exaggeration - "What a disappointment it's been. Why's it delayed, oh yeah, my teammate wrecked it. That's why I haven't been winning races."}

-So-
Granted I'm exaggerating, but as I said, I do like the kid. My question is therefore: Am I reading too much into the stories - have there just been too many Vettel stories about the new car - is he just defending himself - possibly a media creation - or...[flamebait] is he starting to whine?

PS: The insinuation (after he'd seen the tape mind you) that Sato(i think) pushed him in to Sutil is what got me thinking.

Let me remaind you when others are taken out, they aren't exactly quiet, are they? The bitching is loud a clear, so I am not precisely sure why SV' comment has been singled out. (Just go back a few weeks and read what certain DC had to say). MS used to be pretty stoic over such accidents, but then, I am not sure that I remember him being out 4 times in succession either.