Codemasters to make next F1 games

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:10

Another generation of crap F1 games:

Codemasters, developer and publisher of award-winning racing video games, has secured the exclusive video game rights to FORMULA 1â„¢ it was announced on Friday. In a worldwide licensing agreement with Formula One Administration Limited, Codemasters will develop a new generation of the multi-million selling Formula One game franchise across multiple platforms.

sigh..still stuck with F1 Championship edition '98.

Advertisement

#2 NSV

NSV

• 268 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:15

Their last one, Race Grid, seems to be pretty okay...

#3 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:20

They had a brilliant TOCA series in the late 90s, which degenerated to subsequent "TOCA" games with no TOCA cars.

Age group target is 14-18. Driving games on consoles have really degenerated.

#4 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:32

toca 1 and 2 used to chuck you off the circuit quite often for no apparent reason :

#5 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:32

At least EA didnt get it. Allthough they are busy trying to buy take two and thatl be the end of gta also.

#6 Wolbo

Wolbo

• 12,527 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:45

I'm still hoping for someone to make a successor to GPL. :(

#7 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,784 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:46

Originally posted by dawg_7529
At least EA didnt get it. Allthough they are busy trying to buy take two and thatl be the end of gta also.

Well EA's last F1 game wasnt that bad really, had lots of fun with it and with the mods coming out for it. :)

#8 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 19:53

U mean 99 - 02?

#9 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 20:06

Hmm, in the last version Toca F1 cars on 110 percent difficulty, is a pretty daunting task. I enjoyed racing the FW21, the Lotus 49 was just as difficult (or even harder) than GP Legends.

So the targeted age group doesn't have to be a real problem.

#10 Gecko

Gecko

• 876 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 20:32

If a racing game is difficult it doesn't mean it's good or realistic.

#11 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 20:37

Originally posted by Gecko
If a racing game is difficult it doesn't mean it's good or realistic.

I knoooow... but the comment was: 'Ah, its made for 14 - 18 kiddies.' Which suggests we have to be afraid for an arcade kind game. And what I like about Toca is you can play it as an arcade game, but you can tweak it to be more challenging. And for realism: we'd have to ask real F1 drivers to test the realism. 'We' don't know.

#12 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 20:39

Codemasters are making games, not simulators. Maybe it will be a good game. I won't buy it.

#13 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 20:42

Uhm? F1 Challenge 99-02 is STILL a fantastic game. I've been playing for years and I still don't know what some of the setup options do. And the telemetry thing is mind blowing. Also, apart from RH05, all the mods are ****. Stick to the original seasons or RH05.

Also, there is a racing games section on atlas, I think this thread belongs there.

#14 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 22:36

Polyphony Digital should do the game imo.

#15 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 22:40

Originally posted by wingwalker
Uhm?
Also, there is a racing games section on atlas, I think this thread belongs there.

Agreed! Could one of the mods do that?

#16 Kenaltgr

Kenaltgr

• 892 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 23:01

Strange that EA didn't buy this licence after EA Sports signed a £5 million deal with Hamilton to front a game next year.

#17 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 23:09

Originally posted by Kenaltgr
Strange that EA didn't buy this licence after EA Sports signed a £5 million deal with Hamilton to front a game next year.

They couldn't because of a big conspiracy by Ferrari, the FIA and Michael Schumacher :rotfl:

#18 RiDE

RiDE

• 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 00:43

Sony was paying $15 million/year for the license, which expired last year. Ecclestone was reportedly asking for even more and Sony wasn't willing to plunk down the cash. I wonder how much Codemasters got it for.

#19 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 00:56

Originally posted by RiDE
Sony was paying $15 million/year for the license, which expired last year. Ecclestone was reportedly asking for even more and Sony wasn't willing to plunk down the cash. I wonder how much Codemasters got it for.

Double that probably.

Sony were limited in what they could plunk down for it as they were restrained to PS3 exclusivity. With Codemasters, they can tap into every other major market too and the PC version should sell pretty well.

Advertisement

#20 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:19

I just hope Geoff Crammond is involved with this...otherwise, another disappointment.

#21 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:36

Originally posted by SchuOz
I just hope Geoff Crammond is involved with this...otherwise, another disappointment.

please god no, GP4 sucked balls

#22 Jason

Jason

• 4,095 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:05

Originally posted by Wolbo
I'm still hoping for someone to make a successor to GPL. :(

Me too! :|

#23 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:41

I'll stick to GTR2 :up: Other than GP4, the last enjoyable F1 game i played was the original Psygnosis one for the PSOne.

#24 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:25

Originally posted by LukeM

Yeah, huge dissapointment, drive feel was a step backwards from GP3.

#25 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:29

Originally posted by Jerome
I knoooow... but the comment was: 'Ah, its made for 14 - 18 kiddies.' Which suggests we have to be afraid for an arcade kind game. And what I like about Toca is you can play it as an arcade game, but you can tweak it to be more challenging. And for realism: we'd have to ask real F1 drivers to test the realism. 'We' don't know.

The first sign of unrealism is if there is way too much grip. That's usually the case with arcade games, and laptimes dont reflect the reality.

#26 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:24

You're kidding?

Best F1 game.

#27 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:31

out of current sims rFactor is the best simulator(go grab some F1 mods), followed by GTR2.

out of all the games though GPL is the king of them all.

#28 pRy

pRy

• 26,314 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:02

If they took the rfactor aka F1 Championship engine/physics and improved them to todays console standards, that would be an awesome game. Sadly, we're stuck with Codemasters, which means the cars will handle like BTCC cars.

#29 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:13

Originally posted by pRy
If they took the rfactor aka F1 Championship engine/physics and improved them to todays console standards, that would be an awesome game. Sadly, we're stuck with Codemasters, which means the cars will handle like BTCC cars.

Exactly, especially given RFactor 2 has been under development for sometime now.

Love the GP '79 cars in RFactor :)

Heck even the ripoff mods like the F1 07 mod is better than the playstation 3 version of the sport.

#30 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:14

out of current sims rFactor is the best simulator(go grab some F1 mods), followed by GTR2.

out of all the games though GPL is the king of them all.

Whichever racing category you choose on rFactor, be it - F1, Tin Tops etc etc...it all feels the same.
Not a fan...but i think GTR 2 is awesome.

#31 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:19

Whichever racing category you choose on rFactor, be it - F1, Tin Tops etc etc...it all feels the same.
Not a fan...but i think GTR 2 is awesome.

Are you serious? The cars feel very different to me. CTDP 2005 was the last 'proper' f1 mod, and that felt very distinct.

The current 'minimod' F1 releases aren't as good to be fair but still not bad.

I can't imagine how you could say a Formula BMW, or GP 1979 car feels anything like a Megane, or Super Clio, or one of the 1988 F1 Mod cars.

#32 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:25

Originally posted by kar

Are you serious? The cars feel very different to me. CTDP 2005 was the last 'proper' f1 mod, and that felt very distinct.

The current 'minimod' F1 releases aren't as good to be fair but still not bad.

I can't imagine how you could say a Formula BMW, or GP 1979 car feels anything like a Megane, or Super Clio, or one of the 1988 F1 Mod cars.

They all handle quite similarly IMO.
Not a fan of the F1 mod at all..reminds me too much of the EA F1 games.

#33 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:29

Not a fan of the F1 mod at all..reminds me too much of the EA F1 games.

Same underlying physics engine is why. ISI did the EA F1 games.

I can only speak for myself but I find the cars handle quite distinctly, and what I love about rfactor is how (with good peripherals) you can really feel the changes to the car when you alter the setup.

It's not perfect though, you shouldn't be able to camber a car to ridiculous levels, and have toe values of like -50 and get grip without wear, but you definitely feel the affects of ride height, packers, dampers and springs much more than any other game I've played.

And to be quick you really do have to employ different driving styles. The Meganes have terrible understeer so you drive it using lots of trail braking and extreme engine braking to encourage oversteer. In the GP79s it's the otherway around, you have so much engine power and so little grip you can steer the car with the throttle and barely move the steering wheel.

There are so many mods though that simply use close to the default physics. It's no surprise then that some mods feel quite similar. But the cream of the crop all have their very distinct handling.

#34 TF106

TF106

• 114 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:29

rfactor have some great F1 mods creator like ISI, MMG, FStone, CTPD, etc

im flet MMG07 its more easy than CTPD05. something has missing, but something has new..

Lexus IS-F its more road car feel than a racecar.

TOCA, Colin Mcare ( not Dirt like more sim to me ) more like acrade game. i hope GRID and F109 from CodeMaster have something new.

#35 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:11

Last ten years F1 games sucks big time, GTR2 if you want good racing sim.

F1 games and even Gran Turismo serial don't have bumps in the game. Look at this video, you can feel every bum on the road. :up:

#36 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,786 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:22

I'll wait until an announcement is made with regards who is going to develop the game before I pass judgement. Codies has put out a good Rally sim recently (Dirt) and the GRID demo on 360 looks good from the quick look I've had.

(Deleted a bunch of my original post. Said more than I should given my current job, even though racing sims aren't directly related).

#37 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:08

F1C 99-02 with RH05 mod was the best F1 game so far. But I'm just happy that Sony doesn't continue to restrict it to crappy 1 platform arcades.

#38 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:12

Originally posted by alg7_munif
Polyphony Digital should do the game imo.

God no. It'd have 6 cars in the race, and you'd be forced to do 5 100 lap races at a 5 mile oval in order to earn the money to unlock any car except the Force India. Your tyres would wear down in half a lap and the cars would be able to cannon off each other all day without the slightest damage.

#39 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:15

Maybe, just maybe, it might turn out to be quite a good game? Who knows eh? Plus, haven't Codemaster absorbed the Sega Racing team recently?

Advertisement

#40 TF106

TF106

• 114 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:51

Originally posted by bogi
Last ten years F1 games sucks big time, GTR2 if you want good racing sim.

F1 games and even Gran Turismo serial don't have bumps in the game. Look at this video, you can feel every bum on the road. :up:

yap !! i love GTR2. and wating for GTR

compare this

Rfactor MMG07 with mclaren

and
mass and Ferrari
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#41 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:42

I don't think so myself. rFactor has indeed the greatest amount going for it right now though, certainly way ahead of Live For Speed and netKar Pro.

I'm currently doing a Caterham league using both the standard Cat and the R500, and these two alone handle very differantly - likewise the GP79 mod is a world apart from the rF3, GP2 or Formula Nippon cars. The BMW Sauber is also brilliant to drive too!

Though for me it'll always be GTR2. It's just an amazing game that's got that extra bit of polish to it that rFactor is missing, for one thing the menu's in GTR2 are alot easier to navigate and look alot better; not to mention the cars and racing itself is utterly fantastic.

Not overly keen on how this new F1 game will be, after TOCA2, Codemasters sort of went downhill with the games. Race Driver #1 would have been good minus the rubbish storyline, and the other two would have been better with real cars - something GRID is missing too. (I don't mean real cars, but as in real liveries and championships like GTR2 or RACE does). I'd be very surprised if this doesn't turn out to be more than an F1 Championship Edition but with 2008 cars.

#42 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 16:23

I have just done a bit of research and thinking back to the previous Codemaster games and I'm now having doubts.
The Codemasters Colin McRae games had terrible physics all the way through the range and when Richard Burns rally came along it was the first time the company that did RBR had done that kind of game and it blew Codemasters efforts away.
The next thing I thought about was the long period of time I spent playing Toca 1,2 and the Race Driver series which had a lot in the game but again the physics was a little bit wrong. The weight acting on the car made the car swivel on a hyperthetical axis, all the cars would turn in really fast like they were only 200Kg then suddenly understeer across the road like the car was 1000Kg.
Colin McRae DiRT has got awful physics I was thoroughly disappointed with that game and I sold it straight away and I've just tried the Race Driver Grid demo for the PS3 and it too has terrible physics.
There's lots going on all very exciting if you're a child and like crazy arcade games that resemble Hollywood film special effects but in terms of a simulator Codemasters is looking like the worst possible company for the F1 games.

#43 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 16:32

Originally posted by Juan Kerr
I have just done a bit of research and thinking back to the previous Codemaster games and I'm now having doubts.
The Codemasters Colin McRae games had terrible physics all the way through the range and when Richard Burns rally came along it was the first time the company that did RBR had done that kind of game and it blew Codemasters efforts away.
The next thing I thought about was the long period of time I spent playing Toca 1,2 and the Race Driver series which had a lot in the game but again the physics was a little bit wrong. The weight acting on the car made the car swivel on a hyperthetical axis, all the cars would turn in really fast like they were only 200Kg then suddenly understeer across the road like the car was 1000Kg.
Colin McRae DiRT has got awful physics I was thoroughly disappointed with that game and I sold it straight away and I've just tried the Race Driver Grid demo for the PS3 and it too has terrible physics.
There's lots going on all very exciting if you're a child and like crazy arcade games that resemble Hollywood film special effects but in terms of a simulator Codemasters is looking like the worst possible company for the F1 games.

:up:

Last good racing game from Codemasters is CMR2 (which have arcade feeling), but Toca and other CMR games are total disaster. DiRT have insane hardware requirements and their F1 game are powered by DiRT engine :eek:

There is no good multiplatform game.

#44 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 16:52

A lap in a rFactor F2008 around the Istanbul GP circuit.

The music is absolutely dreadful, so I could not watch the whole lap. But it would be a pity if the official F1 game would be worse than other games out there.

#45 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 16:52

rfactor lacks polish, kinda feels like a shell of a game, feels pretty i guess. i didnt like how the meganes handled, any wheelspin would just fire you off or make you spin :confused:

sometimes i feel people make stuff too hard to make it realistic, but its actully falsely hard...

#46 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 17:07

Originally posted by pingu666
rfactor lacks polish, kinda feels like a shell of a game, feels pretty i guess. i didnt like how the meganes handled, any wheelspin would just fire you off or make you spin :confused:

sometimes i feel people make stuff too hard to make it realistic, but its actully falsely hard...

It depends a lot on your hardware. A simulator without proper hardware does not function well. Wheel, pedal, computer... In a game it does not matter so much.

#47 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 17:15

Originally posted by pingu666

rFactor does lack lots of polish, the menu's are not a patch on GTR2 - though it does have some neat features too.

The Meganes are known to be a bit slippery; give the Trucks a go or one of the GT Mods - they aren't the best quality wise, but still good fun. The Clio's are decent too!

#48 andysaint

andysaint

• 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 18:46

The worst thing Bernie could have done is to give the license to one company. Sony has had it for ages and all they do each year is change the liveries on the cars with no real improvement in the game. At least Codemaster has a decent track record with Toca. Did they buy out Microprose (makers of the best F1 games). At least with Codemasters they won't restrict the game to one console I've got an Xbox 360 so am looking forward to it coming out on that.

#49 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 19:11

ive got a better pc now, wheel is the same tho, a g25 ;), probably doesnt help im not very good :lol:

#50 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,319 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:40

GTR2 was good except for the Netcode, which again sucked balls, couldn't run a league with it so its pointless to have really, unless you like racing the AI, personally its not my thing.

Rfactor has the best Netcode, its stable and the Mods a wide and varied and with the right hardware each Mod is completely different, if you don't feel that then you haven't tweaked it, which is its greatest weakness, to a noob it feels shithouse out of the box and GTR/GTR2 have better out of the box physics. Once you tweak Rfactor its as good as any out there.

I think my install is something like 14gig, its like having 30 driving games in one.

ARCA Remax is okay if you like oval racing, lets see what Iracing turns out.

F1 99-02 again was good for one reason its netcode was outstanding, very tolerent to modding.