Photo

Turkish GP 2008 - post race comments

• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#1 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:35

Turkey hat-trick for Felipe Massa! Well done on netting a relatively easy win, knowing that Hamilton was on three-stops.
Team-mate Räikkönen doesn't seem to perform too well here, and had to settle for third.

-Positive trend for McLaren as they have taken a further step forwards. Great drive from Hamilton, passing Massa as he had to, in order to use the full potential of his three-stop strategy.
Kovalainen's race was ruined on lap one when one of his rear tires punctured.

-Kubica looked quick on selected laps, but BMW haven't been as competitive as one expects from them this year. It's still a solid fourth and fifth for Kubica and Heidfeld.

-Alonso raced in a vacuum, but he did it well to bring home good points. An impressive sixth.
Piquet made a couple of mistakes, but raced at a good pace in the last stint.

-Webber picks up two points and has now got as many points as he got in total last year. DC raced strongly and looked like threathening Rosberg for the last point. However as seen on both Red Bull's, they struggled in the last stint on softs. Especially the first sector proved difficult for them.

-Rosberg salvaged a point from 11th on the grid. A strong performance, and opposite to Red Bull, the Williams flew on the soft compound.

-Trulli had a bad start and that really sealed his race. Glock's pace was roughly the same, so all in all he's done very well this weekend.

-Honda one-stopped and especially Button was quick towards the end of his two stints, on both tires.

-Fisichella grossly misjudged the braking point for T1 at the start and crashed spectacularly with Nakajima. Not the best or easiest weekend for Force India, as Sutil also encountered problems.

-Toro Rosso will be glad this weekend is finally over. Bourdais spun off with meachanical failure and there's no luc2 for Vettel; he got through the first lap but made four pit-stops....

Please discuss!

Advertisement

#2 internetf1

internetf1

• 154 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:38

Proof that LH is a good car developer and knows how to setup his car. McLaren clearly ahead in pace compared to BMW and closer to Ferrari here than they were last year. Very good race for Hamilton. Pushing hard in all the 4 stints. Disappointing job by Raikkonen. Great job by Massa for not making mistakes under pressure. Overall, the pass on Massa by LH made my day.

#3 Apex

Apex

• 2,419 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:38

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...............

#4 pasadena

pasadena

• 254 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:39

Great race! It put back faith into F1 for me!

Massa :up: :up: :up: - fastest whenever he needed to be!
Hamilton :up: :up: :up: - for the courage of trying the different strategy and great pace and a pass for the lead
Räikkönen :up: - a subdued weekend, fast but not consistent enough
BMW pair :up: - standard performance
Alonso :up: :up: - I doubt anything more was possible
Kovalainen :up: :up: - many great passes

#5 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:40

Great race by massa! Same can be said for Hamilton by getting a P2. Raikonen saved some points so he doesnt lose that much.

Overall a great race with some good overtaking!! I love turkey!

#6 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Much better than the spanish GP.
McLaren finally tried a different strategy and it worked out. Who knows what will happen when they lock out the front row and Kovalainen doesn't get a first lap puncture?

Anyhow, Massa knows his way around here. Raikkonen wasn't even close this time. Great race by Hamilton.

Bring on Monaco!

#7 internetf1

internetf1

• 154 posts

Kimi doesn't look very happy in the podium.

#8 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:41

Hamilton was on a 3 stopper due to problems with the tyres. It worked out well in the end but he did not gain or lose anything. He was great on those low fuel laps.

Massa was supreme from start to finish.

Raikkonen was quiet but he scored 6 points and I have to say, had he got a better start he would certainly have been ahead of Hamilton. He lost a lot of time behind Kubica.

The race itself was quite good, we had a lot of passing in the final corners and Kovaleinen was the main spark for that.

#9 Gecko

Gecko

• 876 posts

Alonso was just superb, edging out the rest of the mid-field with a classic Fernando pace.

It's also the Hamilton we missed for the past few races, when he is on it he is really on it. It was a joy to watch.

Shame for Kovalainen although fourth was probably the best he could hope for, but at least he gave us a lot of entertainment! I had my hearth in mouth when he pulled a move on Coulthard, but luckily this time it went fine.

Great for Webber and Rosberg to bring some points back home to their respective teams. A bit disappointing for Webber as he would have wanted to beat Alonso, but the better driver probably made the difference today.

Idiot of the race award goes to Fisichella, that was just a rookie mistake and very dangerous too. Otherwise, great racecraft from everyone :up:

#10 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Indeed a great performance from Lewis and a quite brilliant strategy from McLaren (for a change ;)).

After his pretty ragged qualifying days I wouldn't have thought he could drive so consistent and error-free :up: .

Kimi threw away second place yesterday, the bad start was the final nail in the coffin. Massa may wish every race would be in Turkey.

Shame about Kova, solid delivery by Alonso (but I fear the gap to the top three teams will stay that way for the rest of the season).

#11 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:42

I thought this would be a boring race beforehand, but it actually turned out to be quite exciting. Good race for Massa, and very good race for Lewis Hamilton...what a bold strategy for McLaren!

This season is not over yet... :)

#12 Tigershark

Tigershark

• 996 posts

Great race, interesting strategy difference made for some exciting laps in the middle of the race. The difference between the McLaren-Soft and Ferrari-Hard wasn't big enough to cause some last laps drama, but you can't have it all.

Good race by Ferrari and McLaren, and thumbs up to the Turkish circuit. The Turks have built one of the best tracks in modern F1. :up:

#13 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Originally posted by internetf1
Kimi doesn't look very happy in the podium.

:lol: compared to every other time he hasent looked very happy on the podium no matter what step.

Well he hung in there and didnt bin it so was a solid job from him.

#14 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:44

Originally posted by Yellowmc

Raikkonen was quiet but he scored 6 points and I have to say, had he got a better start he would certainly have been ahead of Hamilton. He lost a lot of time behind Kubica..

But then if Kovi and Hami got a better start then they could have won, they didn't, he didn't so they didn't win.

Lost lot of time behind Kubica yes, but Alonso also did him a favour by not putting up much of a fight.

#15 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Originally posted by as65p

Kimi threw away second place yesterday, the bad start was the final nail in the coffin.

The start was not bad. McLaren no.2 driver tried to take him out so he had to lift.

#16 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Originally posted by as65p

Kimi threw away second place yesterday, the bad start was the final nail in the coffin. Massa may wish every race would be in Turkey.

Kimi got a great start, but he was blocked in by Kovalainen.

#17 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:45

Originally posted by Anomnader

But then if Kovi and Hami got a better start then they could have won, they didn't, he didn't so they didn't win.

Lost lot of time behind Kubica yes, but Alonso also did him a favour by not putting up much of a fight.

No, no. I was talking about the unfortunate circumstances with Kovaleinen. Raikkonen was squeezed out resulting lost places for him and a amaged tyre for Kovaleinen.

#18 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:45

McLaren are going to have to get their soft tyre situation sorted out.

#19 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:46

Raikkonen was again mediocre. Hopefully Massa wins this WDC, he deserves it.

Star of the race: Hamilton :up:

Advertisement

#20 dawg_7529

dawg_7529

• 269 posts

mclaren succumbed to ferraris superior pace and reverted to a 3 stop strategy. I hope the fia bans mclaren for about 60 years and lewis hamilton too.

#21 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Raikkonen was quiet but he scored 6 points and I have to say, had he got a better start he would certainly have been ahead of Hamilton. He lost a lot of time behind Kubica.

Also if Massa would have put up even little resistance against Hamilton Kimi would have been second. Of course then Massa would have gained only two points from Kimi.

#22 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:47

The McLaren stratgey made things look better than they were in reality.

Man of the race for me is Kovalainen, after the punture in the SC phase and being dropped to last. Lots of gutsy moves. Just why he couldn't make a pass stick immediately is a bit of a mistery to me. Hamilton blew the win in Q3.

Without Kovalainen in the picture, the first four ended where they started, then comes Heidfeld who more or less swapped places with Webber.

Obviously I'm happy for Ferrari and Massa. But a great race it wasn't.

#23 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

What I want to know is how outstanding Heikki and Massa's qualifying laps were.

McLaren's strategy today was very positive, but the issue with Lewis cooking his tyres was the reason it was necessary. Had he put it on pole, I don't think anyone would have seen him today.

#24 pasadena

pasadena

• 254 posts

Originally posted by GiancarloF1

Ferrari has a great car but their drivers suffer too much from inconsistency.

#25 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi

Kimi got a great start, but he was blocked in by Kovalainen.

which amounts to bad start overall...;)

True, Heikki had the worst acceleration, but he didn't do anything wrong. Those things happen if you start from 4th (to Kimi, that is).

#26 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug

• 287 posts

Another win for the chump in the best car, and could barely beat a mclaren doing it.

#27 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Raikkonen was again mediocre.

And still he is leading. :cry:

#28 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:48

Hamilton says he went for a three stopped because Bridgestone was afraid that otherwise the tyres would fail !

#29 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

OOoooh Felipe actually kept it together, he got some valuable points to other drivers in WDC. :up: It is going to be a long and slow crawl up for him.

Ferrari will be wishing that this is Kimi's last "off" race. ):

The race was boring, so midways I went away for a stroll of about 35 minutes :blush:. Seems I didn't miss much.

Fisichella Posted Image

Do FIA still penalize track invasions, or does the rulebook not apply when Bernard is a shareholder in the track? :down:

#30 pasadena

pasadena

• 254 posts

Originally posted by DoubleWDC

And still he is leading. :cry:

Yes, the car advantage is big enough.

#31 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:49

Take note that on a poor day, Raikkonen still gets 3rd.

That's the kind of form that you need to be Champion. Hamilton did the same last race.

#32 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Originally posted by HP
The McLaren stratgey made things look better than they were in reality.

How do you work that out? Lewis finished where he fully deserved, whether it was a two stop or a three stop, usually a 3 stop is harder, if he hadn't tyre problems, maybe he could have won, I doubt he could take Massa, he just needs to get the soft tyre situation sorted.

#33 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Also if Massa would have put up even little resistance against Hamilton Kimi would have been second. Of course then Massa would have gained only two points from Kimi.

Dunno if Massa is such a shrewd thinker, if so, I couldn't blame him.

#34 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:50

Originally posted by kar
What I want to know is how outstanding Heikki and Massa's qualifying laps were.

McLaren's strategy today was very positive, but the issue with Lewis cooking his tyres was the reason it was necessary. Had he put it on pole, I don't think anyone would have seen him today.

Think your right, Massa won the race in Q3... If Lewis was on pole he'd of won this race...

#35 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:50

How would you rate Fisis race, clampy.

Kimi confirms he had some car damage.

#36 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by AFCA
Hamilton says he went for a three stopped because Bridgestone was afraid that otherwise the tyres would fail !

Is this a Bridgestone problem or McLaren problem, they never had such problems with Michellin tyres.

#37 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,647 posts

Great to see ralph back in F1 - at least according to the Autosport results

10. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) + 1:16.344

:rotfl: :eek:

How come Heidfeld made up such time in the first stops? He jumped a couple of places iirc ...

#38 pasadena

pasadena

• 254 posts

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi
How would you rate Fisis race, clampy.

Kimi confirms he had some car damage.

His damage came from being slow in quali.
And Fisi forgetting to brake is just plain silly.

#39 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:52

Originally posted by dawg_7529

brown star of the race.

I think its bye bye from you.

Advertisement

#40 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Originally posted by pasadena
Ferrari has a great car but their drivers suffer too much from inconsistency.

The results say you are wrong. And KR for example has gotten 34 out 40 possible points and you call that inconsistant. :rolleyes:

#41 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug

• 287 posts

Fisichella is an utter disgrace. Caused a very stupid and dangerous accident and wont even admit it was his fault. A pathetic person.

#42 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Lewis was very happy in the press conference...it's nice to see him back on form.

#43 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Is this a Bridgestone problem or McLaren problem, they never had such problems with Michellin tyres.

I think a McLaren problem since other cars doing a two stopped didn't seem to have problems. We might find out more, I just heard him saying it in the press conference...

#44 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:53

Kova didn't seem to have trouble either. I think it's more a Lewis@Turkey problem, it already was last year. At least this time they found the best solution for it.

#45 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Kimi had some damage to his front wing.

Considering that, a good result and a podium.

Monaco should be exciting.

#46 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Hamilton + Istanbul speedway problem it would seem.

#47 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

It is a Lewis problem.

#48 pasadena

pasadena

• 254 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 13:54

The results say you are wrong. And KR for example has gotten 34 out 40 possible points and you call that inconsistant. :rolleyes:

35 out of 50. His Australian performance was horrible in any case.

I call it inconsistent because they had the best car in every race. Today they should have finished 1-2 but didn't, therefore the driving was not up to the car's level.

#49 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Really should have been a Ferrari 1-2, and Hamilton's qualifying in retrospect was especially poor.

I wonder how Monaco will go down, Ferrari actually were stronger in the slower sections of the track here, I wonder how that will translate at Monaco.

#50 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Kimi had some damage to his front wing.

From Kovalainen?