Photo

1970s Formula 2 footage?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jon D

Jon D

• 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 21:40

I realise this is a bit of a stab in the dark, but does anyone know if any footage exists of the European series, preferably circa 1972-76? Or if it was even filmed in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Jon

Advertisement

#2 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 23:43

The BBC used to show the Easter Monday Thruxton meeting live from what I remember ( I was on the bank at Allard for most of them so couldn't actually see the TV ). Doubt there's anything left in the vault though for the reasons discussed in threads elsewhere. :down:

#3 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:44

This DVD is available
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0006IGPI2

#4 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:48

i have some super-8 footage from the adac eifelrennen 1971 .
the same footage is also available on vhs and is called "die grossen rennen von monaco bis nuerburgring".
cheers marty

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:52

I have some footage from Crystal Palace in 1970 and 1972.

#6 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:47

Originally posted by Martin Roessler
i have some super-8 footage from the adac eifelrennen 1971 .
the same footage is also available on vhs and is called "die grossen rennen von monaco bis nuerburgring".
cheers marty

Can't find it, any suggestions where to look? Thanks Andrew

#7 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:30

sorry andrew,
it's called "racing film"...."die grossen rennen blablabla..." is just the subtitel.
it's produced by wonderworld film & video (elfra film gmbh)
it's pretty old and as far as i know it's not available anymore...guess you have to try ebay.
cheers marty

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:16

I clearly recall having seen at least a couple of Hockenheim F2 races from the mid-seventies, "live" and (probably) in full length, on German TV - so yes, at least some of these races were "filmed", I would even go so far to say most races. F2 was hugely popular at the time, especially in Germany with BMW, Stuck and Mass, etc. And it always provided excellent racing. Someone remind me, why did they replace it with a spec-chassis/spec-engine :yawn: formula???

#9 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 20:54

Cos Bernie & his mates had a load of old DFV's to offload :D

#10 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 20:57

:confused: The spec engine was a Zytek [né Judd], wasn't it?

#11 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 20:44

I thought it was a cossie that was rev limited to 9000 :confused:

#12 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:39

Originally posted by fines
:confused: The spec engine was a Zytek [né Judd], wasn't it?

Not back in 85 Fines... it was definately DFVs. And we all know who had a big stash of them on his hands at the time!

In fact I don't think the rules limited the choice to DFVs, it was any 3 litre V8 with a 9000 rev limit which is where the Mugens and so forth came in a few seasons later.
Then it got progressively more "spec'y" and less interesting as time went on...

#13 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:24

Weren't the rev limiters produced by Glen Monk ? I seem to remember there were a lot of problems early on

#14 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 17:06

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks
In fact I don't think the rules limited the choice to DFVs, it was any 3 litre V8 with a 9000 rev limit which is where the Mugens and so forth came in a few seasons later.
Then it got progressively more "spec'y" and less interesting as time went on...

That's exactly what I was saying: the Cossie wasn't the spec engine, but the Zytek... :D

There was nothing wrong with F2/F3000 before "the spec set in"!

#15 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:20

It's interesting that F2 has a serious nostalgia factor about it which F3000 just doesn't, even though it's now 23 years since it started.

20 years is normally about the right time for nostalgia to kick in. It represents the time span between that initial burst of a passion for the sport as a teenager and the point in your mid 30s when you have a few quid to spare, a house to fill with memorabilia and maybe a yearning for what you recalled as the ' real racing' of your youth brought on by disaffection for the current scene.

I sell quite a bit of F2 related material (programmes, photos, posters etc) and plenty of people enthuse about the formula and their days watching anyone from Rindt to Thackwell at Silverstone, Thurxton, Brands, Donington etc. But we almost never sell anything F3000 related ! On the face of it F3000 was initially more exciting than the later F2 era with all those ex F1 engines and a few ex F1 cars. With all the famous names that ran in the series, from Alesi Hill and Coulthard to Zanardi and Montoya, you would generally imagine it would stir up some 'historic' interest....?
Yet it really doesn't have a following among enthusiasts and collectors.
Will it ever ?

:confused:

#16 mscheeres

mscheeres

• 72 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 14:08

Hope this is not too much of a bump...

Not much footage survived the ages, I guess. There's the full live race from Pau at 69, short review of Paul Ricard 70, Nurburgring 71 and a few more 1 minute clippings. I should be receiving Hockenheim '70 (44 minutes!) and a mix of F2/F3 at Nurburgring 71/72 soon. Then there's the full race from Hockenheim '67 (1hr 22m!) and a 23m report from Pau 72 from French TV and that's pretty much it.

Then there's a set of 'uncut' material from Austrian TV from 63 to 70 focussing on Rindt, good chance there's a few F2 clippings in there too but I won't know for sure until I get it.

#17 john aston

john aston

• 2,694 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:09

[quote name='simonlewisbooks' post='3134919' date='May 22 2008, 08:20']It's interesting that F2 has a serious nostalgia factor about it which F3000 just doesn't, even though it's now 23 years since it started.

20 years is normally about the right time for nostalgia to kick in. It represents the time span between that initial burst of a passion for the sport as a teenager and the point in your mid 30s when you have a few quid to spare, a house to fill with memorabilia and maybe a yearning for what you recalled as the ' real racing' of your youth brought on by disaffection for the current scene.

I sell quite a bit of F2 related material (programmes, photos, posters etc) and plenty of people enthuse about the formula and their days watching anyone from Rindt to Thackwell at Silverstone, Thurxton, Brands, Donington etc. But we almost never sell anything F3000 related ! On the face of it F3000 was initially more exciting than the later F2 era with all those ex F1 engines and a few ex F1 cars. With all the famous names that ran in the series, from Alesi Hill and Coulthard to Zanardi and Montoya, you would generally imagine it would stir up some 'historic' interest....?
Yet it really doesn't have a following among enthusiasts and collectors.
Will it ever ?

:confused:]

It deserves to- I have very fond memories of F3000 , none more than the surreal sight and spinetingling shriek of Marches et al screaming through the centre of Birmingham

Edited by john aston, 01 January 2012 - 17:11.

#18 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:14

Imola 1971

#19 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 157 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:34

Didn't hurt the formula having top notch current F1 drivers out there either!