Photo

What should the BBC's 2009 interactive service have?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 captnkangru

captnkangru

• 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 14:54

I think we're all in agreement that the move to the Beeb will be a good thing, but what will they do with their interactive forum?
I worry that they'll just have another live feed, when they could do something great like have real-time data about where every driver is round the track on a small graphic.
I hope to take some suggestions to the BBC (via contacts at work) so let me know what you think and hopefully we can get the BBC coverage to live up to it's potential

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:03

HD coverage via FreeSat would be nice.

#3 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:03

I'd be happy with a live, high-quality stream that's available to more than the UK.

#4 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:11

Though I won't be a beneficiary, exclusive video and audio from the pitlane, paddock and garages. Would be pretty nice.

#5 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:27

nascar/IRL has got some really good features on there broadcast
moveable cams
split screens for pitstops
split screen for adverts
broadcast in HD
example car or two for on the fly technical analyis
GPS? tracking of cars, continously updating speeds/gaps/poistions
"hud" style bar with revs/throttle/brake etc
if cameras miss something they use the GPS data to recreate what happened...
interviews with driver(s) during yellow/redflag/prerace
bunch of interactive things on there websites if u subscribe...
plus the useal stuff broadcasts have....

and ive only watched about 4-5 irl/nascar races this season :lol:

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 12,494 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:35

BBCi will carry all Friday sessions FP1&2.
Might even do Sat morn FP3
There is talk that they MAY carry an alternative (Track B or Pit/Paddock channel) feed as in the lovely Digital F1+ days during Quals and Race.

Jp

#7 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 129 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:56

Unfortunately what we will probably get is the same SD coverage with commentry by James Allen and interuptions in the the race watch the 2:30 from Haydock

#8 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 15:59

Press the RED button to give JA an electric shock :up:

#9 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 16:16

No adverts!

#10 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,521 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 16:22

Originally posted by RacingMonk
Unfortunately what we will probably get is the same SD coverage with commentry by James Allen and interuptions in the the race watch the 2:30 from Haydock

Really? I suppose their Motogp coverage supports that argument does it? Unlike ITV, BBC has leveraged interactive services in their sports coverage. I suspect they will be limited by what Bernie allows them to do more than anything else. Dince the demise of PPV for F1, Bernie has been more relaxed about content for free-to-air channels, so it looks promising for next year.

#11 Bumper

Bumper
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,966 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 16:25

Originally posted by Group B
Press the RED button to give JA an electric shock :up:

Now that'd be truly interactive :p

I guess my wish list would include split screens for pitstops and 'choose your own incar camera', although I don't think the latter will be on offer.

#12 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 16:26

As some people on here seem to have a major problem with ITV I'm presuming they'd prefer a UK only service?

#13 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 16:42

Originally posted by jonpollak
There is talk that they MAY carry an alternative (Track B or Pit/Paddock channel) feed as in the lovely Digital F1+ days during Quals and Race.

Jp

be a pretty poor do if they didnt do FP3 as well

#14 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,884 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 16:48

A Lewis Hamilton spankometer. This will be a visual representation of how spanky JA gets when he commentates and lewis is on the screen. It will be tied electronically to his microphone like an 'Opportunity Knocks' clapometer and measure the level of excitement.

The graphic will be a gradually erecting electronic facsimile of a red white and blue penis that explodes across your screen in full HD and Dolby 7.1 only if Hamilton wins or if he makes a little 'J A' sign with his hands from the cockpit.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,862 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 17:18

You need to try a drinking game with JA. Gulp of beer everytime he mentions Hamilton, you will p!$$ed before 2 laps are done.

#16 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,612 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 18:06

Great offer , thanks!

On the data side then track positions would be great, also stored laptimes with (say) tabs to go back and see what they did on some previous lap.

Plus live speeds/apex/exit speeds so we can see where each driver is gaining/losing.

And the facility to record laptimes for replay later, so we can play a recording of the broadcast video and have "live" timing too.

And plenty of it, so those with big screens can take advantage and have a lot of windows open with the various information.

And, while we're being greedy, a way of sending messages direct to the producer so we can ask him if he really thinks a head-on shot is the best way to see the start... :p

#17 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,574 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by jonpollak

Jp

sounds excellent :) I think Bernie-TV had it about right in terms of choices of screens, and I think it's a model (including the choice of commentary between tv and 5live as per the footie) that the BBC should study very closely :up:

#18 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 19:17

If they would make it truly interactive. In other words if you want to see the pit girls fully clothed, don't press anything. If you want them topless press the green button, and for the whole hog, press red.

F1 audiences would probably double overnight. :)

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,862 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 20:44

Originally posted by wrighty

sounds excellent :) I think Bernie-TV had it about right in terms of choices of screens, and I think it's a model (including the choice of commentary between tv and 5live as per the footie) that the BBC should study very closely :up:

The main problem I found with the interactive stuff is that it takes quite a long time to move between streams, which rather put me off using it. The Sky boxes are not any better now in that respect, don't know if the new freesat boxes are better at handling this.