Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

F1 Racing (magazine) and F1 media in general...(merged)

• Please log in to reply
1079 replies to this topic

#501 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 16:14

Definitely agree there, as I'm starting to get there myself :)

But the numbers are interesting. I found some stats on Motorsport's circulation numbers which increased 12% last year. Given the economic conditions, the slow annihilation of the print market and general apathy toward F1, that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

I'm trying to find F1 Racing's numbers, but it would be hard to imagine a similar performance.

I've made the argument before and this is just a revisit of it. F1 Racing's approach is wrong given the current magazine market. Motorsport is following the right strategy of offering content that is heavy duty, and doesn't try too hard to be up to the second. Maybe that's easier for a title that is unashamedly nostalgic. But I dare say F1 Racing could cover contemporary F1 from a different angle by going more hardcore, and stepping back a little bit to be more like a journal than a one size fits all it currently tries on.

There's no question Motorsport doesn't try too hard to reign in the casual market. F1 Racing unashamedly pitches to that segment. I would argue casual fans don't buy magazines anymore. So F1 racing should abandon that market, or at least devote significantly less effort toward it.

Guess short story shorter here, is I want a monthly magazine about contemporary F1 that has high production values that has content that hasn't horribly dated by the time it hits the shelf.

Advertisement

#502 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 16:17

My copy has only arrived today so I've not had chance to read it in any depth.

But the first thing that made me sigh was the "Renault await their fate..." piece. This issue has only come out today hasn't it? One day after the WMSC meeting, so surely it was likely that a decision would have been made by the time this hit the shelves? So what was the point, there's no reason for anyone to read it?

Magazines for me are on a slippery slope to extinction I reckon. F1 Racing and even Autosport can not compete with the Internet when it comes to news, so why bother? Concentrate more on the articles that won't go stale in a matter of days. Things like behind the scenes of the BBC coverage, CFD and Webber's trainer are good examples from this month.

#503 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 17:08

Magazines for me are on a slippery slope to extinction I reckon. F1 Racing and even Autosport can not compete with the Internet when it comes to news, so why bother? Concentrate more on the articles that won't go stale in a matter of days. Things like behind the scenes of the BBC coverage, CFD and Webber's trainer are good examples from this month.

I think quality comes at a price though.

This website wouldn't be going without the magazine (or am I wrong there?).

I guess the mag can't compete with hundreds of journalists breaking news instantly on Twitter.

That's where the strong features and analysis come in.

A really great feature stick in the mind so clearly.

Tony Dodgins piece on the amazingly shocking history of BAR still sticks in the mind six months after I read it.

I bought the last F1 Racing on the way to Monza.

It was OK, but not enough to get my subscribing again.

I quite liked the increasing amount of retro on the late 80s, early 90s.

Though as Buttoneer suggests, that's the period when I really became interested in the sport.

I thought the piece on Jake Humphries was a bit kiss arse if I'm honest.

But very interesting that Humphries seemed to mention every member of the BBC team.. except Jonathan Legard.

Legard is clearly the most controversial member of that team, but why spoil a puff piece by asking a difficult question?

#504 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:10

"Shrill voices on internet forums"

Anyone we know?

#505 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:21

"Shrill voices on internet forums"

Anyone we know?

Yes, I find that particularly hilarious.

Autosport also has a pop at us occassionally too, calling us "malcontents on the internet" and "idiots" in that subscription-threateningly-bad Revved Up section.

#506 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:27

My copy has only arrived today so I've not had chance to read it in any depth.

But the first thing that made me sigh was the "Renault await their fate..." piece. This issue has only come out today hasn't it? One day after the WMSC meeting, so surely it was likely that a decision would have been made by the time this hit the shelves? So what was the point, there's no reason for anyone to read it?

As a subscriber to F1 racing my copy arrived last Friday (18th), which was before the hearing took place... though after FB and PS were gone. I don't subscribe to the magazine to get F1 news - I use sites such as Autosport for that, but I always enjoy reading the various articles and interviews that it contains.

#507 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:34

As a subscriber to F1 racing my copy arrived last Friday (18th), which was before the hearing took place... though after FB and PS were gone. I don't subscribe to the magazine to get F1 news - I use sites such as Autosport for that, but I always enjoy reading the various articles and interviews that it contains.

I'm lucky to get any of Haymarket's magazines within a week these days. Another story entirely... :)

#508 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:38

I'm lucky to get any of Haymarket's magazines within a week these days. Another story entirely... :)

Where do you live Dank?

(...and I don't mean flat number and street in case you're worried!)

#509 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:41

Where do you live Dank?

(...and I don't mean flat number and street in case you're worried!)

Oxford.

Not entirely convinced my problems lie with the shockingly bad postal service either as things have been descending since their subscription department was moved elsewhere in the summer.

#510 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:43

Oxford.

Not entirely convinced my problems lie with the shockingly bad postal service either as things have been descending since their subscription department was moved elsewhere in the summer.

If it's any consolation I live in Notting Hill, West London and my Autosport hasn't arrived on time for the past two months.

I'm lucky to get it on Friday, usually Saturday, which is quite annoying for a news magazine.

By way of contrast the other weekly I get is the Economist which has been late twice in three years IIRC...

#511 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:50

If it's any consolation I live in Notting Hill, West London and my Autosport hasn't arrived on time for the past two months.

I'm lucky to get it on Friday, usually Saturday, which is quite annoying for a news magazine.

By way of contrast the other weekly I get is the Economist which has been late twice in three years IIRC...

Mine hasn't arrived on time in the past six weeks, sounds like I'm not the only one either. Both Autosport and F1 Racing arrive late, the latter I don't mind so much, but a weekly publication like Autosport arriving 3-5 days late is a waste of my money.

Emails I've sent have gone unanswered and I finally managed to speak to a manager last week, who said that since they moved their subscription department to somewhere in Kent, there have been a few issues. His suggestion in me being able to get my mitts on my copy of Autosport? To send it in a brown-bag instead...

#512 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,371 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:52

I didn't get my Autosport this morning, it's hit and miss these days. Almost certainly though it's the post office, there are quite a few things that take their sweet time.

#513 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:59

Emails I've sent have gone unanswered and I finally managed to speak to a manager last week, who said that since they moved their subscription department to somewhere in Kent, there have been a few issues. His suggestion in me being able to get my mitts on my copy of Autosport? To send it in a brown-bag instead...

Yeah, it is pretty nutty really.

My FT turns up each weekday no worries.

My other monthly titles seem to also turn up without problems.

#514 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 13:18

Yeah, it is pretty nutty really.

My FT turns up each weekday no worries.

My other monthly titles seem to also turn up without problems.

That's pretty shocking. I have a couple subs from Germany which come like clockwork. It's pretty pisspoor that a weekly mag, one homebrewed can't get it right.

Guess they are cutting back so much at Haymarket that they simply cannot keep a tight control on these sorts of things anymore.

#515 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 13:28

That's pretty shocking. I have a couple subs from Germany which come like clockwork. It's pretty pisspoor that a weekly mag, one homebrewed can't get it right.

Guess they are cutting back so much at Haymarket that they simply cannot keep a tight control on these sorts of things anymore.

I'll always subcribe to Autosport, as it is awesome.

Dodgy editorial policies come and go but I feel I've outlived them over the years.

One thing I can't be bothered with is lateness though.

If it's not going to turn up on time I may as well go to the news agent.

#516 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 14:15

I'll always subcribe to Autosport, as it is awesome.

Dodgy editorial policies come and go but I feel I've outlived them over the years.

One thing I can't be bothered with is lateness though.

If it's not going to turn up on time I may as well go to the news agent.

An interesting contrast actually, before I went away to Croatia for our summer break I wanted a couple subs delivered early if possible. The company responsible was 'Imagine Publishing' and a very lovely lady there took care of it for me, I got my editions 2 days early (and in time to read while on holiday :)).

Might be worth giving Haymarket's subs people a ring. If they can't sort it out, it probably tells you all you need to know about the state of the publisher.

Edited by kar, 24 September 2009 - 14:19.

#517 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 14:30

A good tip Kar, I'll give it a crack.

#518 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 14:34

Autosport has been arriving late for me recently as well. Not particularly impressed as mine has to be forwarded to my uni address which if everything arrives on time should be a saturday, but this usually means it could be a tuesday if it arrives late.

I've cancelled it anyway, I can't justify spending £130+ a year on a magazine I barely look at these days, the website has everything I want to read anways, and most important news usually happens on a wednesday, so everything is too late for the magazine.

Edited by Blythy, 24 September 2009 - 14:35.

#519 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 14:43

I've cancelled it anyway, I can't justify spending £130+ a year on a magazine I barely look at these days, the website has everything I want to read anways, and most important news usually happens on a wednesday, so everything is too late for the magazine.

It is quite an interesting problem for an industry standard magazine like Autosport.

Its website is a great resource which I'd be happy to pay for.

I wonder if they'll follow Murdoch in making it pay to play.

On another issue, I'd happily also pay for to use forum.

Would be interesting to see what would happen to the dynamics around here if it were pay to play.

Advertisement

#520 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,745 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 15:00

On another issue, I'd happily also pay for to use forum.

Hmmmm - too many free ones out there.

Would be interesting to see what would happen to the dynamics around here if it were pay to play.

You'll lose as many good people as trolls.

I suggest a one-off fee for signing up. That will keep Fatality/Fanboy on his toes. :lol:

#521 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 15:57

Autosport has been arriving late for me recently as well. Not particularly impressed as mine has to be forwarded to my uni address which if everything arrives on time should be a saturday, but this usually means it could be a tuesday if it arrives late.

Probably going to follow suit. I managed to somehow get a year's subscription for £100 which I thought was pretty damn good and much much cheaper than getting it from the newsagents - but then, I'm not getting the damn things on time and it's made me wonder if I would really miss it all that much if I were to cancel it anyway.

#522 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 13:10

Stone the crows. Autosport only arrived a day late this week! :lol:

#523 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 13:12

Stone the crows. Autosport only arrived a day late this week! :lol:

Mine is still nowhere to be found...

#524 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 13:13

Mine arrives on time, in the Sainsbury's in Headingley every week...... no subscription like but it's there ;)

#525 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 19:28

I too have been suffering from lateness with Autosport for many months now.

What I have noticed is that in weeks where there is little big news to crow about it generally turns up on Thursday, or at worst on Friday. If a big news story breaks early in the week then it usually doesn't turn up until Saturday for me.

I might be wrong, but I'm actually 95% convinced it's the cover and the first news page that holds it up some weeks. It's always in the shops on a Thursday though, so I'm assuming that they always manage to meet the deadline for getting the magazines onto their distributors truck (which I assume heads out on Wednesday afternoon/evening) but that they don't always meet the deadline for getting the subs onto the Royal Mail truck. I'm convinced that some weeks Royal Mail aren't getting the subs until sometime on Thursday - there's no other reason why a first class delivery should arrive two days late.

The problem is that during 2009 there has been so much sh!t and scandal in F1 that it seems the mag never turns up on time. Thursday nights just haven't been the same for me, there's nothing like lying on the sofa with a large whiskey beside me, Autosport in my hands, a nice bit of choice music on the cd player...

Frankly I'm amazed this weeks edition turned up on Friday.

Edited by Imperial, 27 September 2009 - 19:32.

#526 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:06

Been away for the weekend.

No Autosport to be seen anywhere.

So it has either been stolen, which is unlikely, or hasn't turned up again.

Tedious.

#527 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 19:21

Joy of joys, my Autosport arrived on time today...

..until I realised LAST WEEK'S had been delivered SEVEN DAYS LATE!!!!

#528 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 20:07

:rotfl:

To be fair Royal Mail are being absolute tw$ts at the moment. For example I got some tickets to last weekends Fulham Arsenal game delivered today... ;-)

Edited by kar, 01 October 2009 - 20:08.

#529 fosters35

fosters35

• 137 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 20:46

Have to admit i was disappointed with F1 Racing this month. A large chunk was taken up the 4 way battle which was all but over by the time it was delivered.

Out of interest can i cancel my subscription and then re-subscribe to get the free gifts :p

#530 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 21:53

Been there. Done that!

For the first time in seven weeks today, I've received my copy on the day of publication!

#531 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 22:52

:rotfl:

To be fair Royal Mail are being absolute tw$ts at the moment. For example I got some tickets to last weekends Fulham Arsenal game delivered today... ;-)

I seriously could not believe it!

I saw the Haymarket plastic wrapper and thought things were back on an even keel.

*sigh*

#532 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 22:55

Out of interest can i cancel my subscription and then re-subscribe to get the free gifts :p

Nope!

I had some random Haymarket person call me at work the other day asking if I'd like to subscire to other Haymarket publications.

I pointed out that I'd cancelled my F1 Racing subscription.

He rattled through the others in their stable and nothing appealed.

So I said: "I notice you have a Red Bull Racing t-shirt giveaway for new subscribers. If I commit for another year can I have a t-shirt please?"

Silence.

"No."

"Two year?"

"No."

"What if I cancel my subscription then start a new one."

"No, we know your address etc..."

So unless I move, no t-shirt...

I think a bit more flexibility is needed.

Or perhaps they make so little from subscribers that they don't really care.

#533 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 13:06

Thought it was too good to last. Having received last week's issue on the day of publication (first time in almost two months), this week's issue is somewhere between here and Kent...

#534 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 13:41

I was quite surprised how many typos there were in the BANNED edition of Autosport the other week.

Can't comment on last week's or this week's as neither have arrived yet...

#535 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 13:45

I'd love to start a poll on here to see just how many people were suffering delays in receiving their copies and try and draw conclusions from it (as to whether it's Royal Fail's fault or Haymarket's).

Guessing that wouldn't go down to well on the forum though!

#536 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 13:46

I'd love to start a poll on here to see just how many people were suffering delays in receiving their copies and try and draw conclusions from it (as to whether it's Royal Fail's fault or Haymarket's).

Do it, would be good for them to know.

We are customers after all.

Amazon has just dumped Royal Mail, perhaps time for Haymarket to do the same.

#537 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 14:01

Do it, would be good for them to know.

We are customers after all.

Amazon has just dumped Royal Mail, perhaps time for Haymarket to do the same.

Triple-dare you (no returns) to do it :p

I can open a book on how long we reckon it will last being being pulled?

#538 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 14:06

Royal Fail for the Lose ;(

#539 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,371 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 14:40

The genius of unions. The country's in the toilet, unemployment's shooting towards three million and postmen go on strike. It's almost as if there's no skiled workforce looking for jobs out there.

Advertisement

#540 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 14:46

I flew out of Blighty last Friday for the weekend.

Stubbornly refused to buy an Autosport at Gatwick despite my Singapore issue not turning up.

Still hasn't actually...

So, conspiricy hats on, why does a news agent at Gatwick get theirs before me?

Hmmm?

#541 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 18:21

Oh for heaven's sake. Just discovered my local sorting office (if you can call it local, being in Swindon - some 45 miles away) are going on strike yet again tomorrow. Zero chance of receiving this week's copy of Autosport anytime soon then.

Couldn't there be an option for us subscribers to be able to pick our copies up from a designated newsagent each week instead? There wouldn't be an horrendous amount of logistics involved in that would there? Or am I too crazy for thinking outside the box?

#542 DePortago

DePortago

• 189 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 20:07

Stop complaining guys. You haven´t seen the spanish edition... :cry:

#543 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 20:31

I was beginning to wonder if it was only me receiving my Autosports late. Saturday seems to be the norm these past few weeks. If they don't sort it soon they will be losing a customer, and I doubt I'll buy it weekly after that as I don't tend to read it from front cover to back page as I used to.

#544 Rabbit123

Rabbit123

• 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 20:51

Late Magazines can be difficult, especialy on a race weekend. Because AUTOSPORT comes on a Thursday, late magazines can result in you reading the preview of, let's say the singapore race after the race has finished and then in the case of back to back races; reading the review of the singapore race, after the japanese race has finished. :|

#545 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 23:42

My edition from last week still isn't here.

Only eight days late...

#546 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,522 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:17

My edition from last week still isn't here.

Only eight days late...

I stopped all pre-paid subscriptions to magazines some years ago for this very reason.

Now, I am happy to spend the little extra in petrol and parking to go to my local newsagent and buy the ones I want.

#547 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:59

Looks like only me received their copy on time this week.

I think a poll is a good idea but to be honest I don't think many of the forum users even read the magazine at all, let alone subscribe.

I don't see what they'd have to complain about if a poll ran, but then who knows. The forum isn't 'staffed' by Autosport anyway (a real bugbear of mine), so they probably wouldn't even notice.

#548 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,745 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:34

Nope!

I had some random Haymarket person call me at work the other day asking if I'd like to subscire to other Haymarket publications.

I pointed out that I'd cancelled my F1 Racing subscription.

He rattled through the others in their stable and nothing appealed.

So I said: "I notice you have a Red Bull Racing t-shirt giveaway for new subscribers. If I commit for another year can I have a t-shirt please?"

Silence.

"No."

"Two year?"

"No."

"What if I cancel my subscription then start a new one."

"No, we know your address etc..."

So unless I move, no t-shirt...

I think a bit more flexibility is needed.

Or perhaps they make so little from subscribers that they don't really care.

That's rubbish. Dennis Publishing will do this for all their subscriptions. I used to subscribe to PCPro and I always renewed for another year when there was a freebie I wanted.

There was a chap in the CIX bulletin board system who worked for the publisher and he was saying (this was mid 90's mind) that the reason they love subs is that it gives them and ABC baseline to work with. Everything sold into newsagents was effectively bonus. It is subs which are the bread and butter therefore you need to keep subscribers happy.

Now maybe that's changed, or maybe it isn't the same for Haymarket as it is for Dennis, but you'd have thought that they would bite your arm off for a renewal in the current market conditions. Its the 'we know your address' thing which annoyed me the most about your discussion.

#549 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:58

Now maybe that's changed, or maybe it isn't the same for Haymarket as it is for Dennis, but you'd have thought that they would bite your arm off for a renewal in the current market conditions. Its the 'we know your address' thing which annoyed me the most about your discussion.

It was a shite showing on their behalf.

Perhaps I'm asking too much of my relationship with Autosport!

#550 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,795 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:06

Couldn't there be an option for us subscribers to be able to pick our copies up from a designated newsagent each week instead?

Many years ago when my sister had a 'subscription' to F1 Racing, it was directly with the local newsagent. No messing about with the publisher, the local newsagent would set aside a copy with her name on for pickup. Maybe yours can do something similar. No idea about any discount for doing so, but you are assured that they wont run out before you get to the shop.