Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

F1 Racing (magazine) and F1 media in general...(merged)

• Please log in to reply
1079 replies to this topic

#551 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:09

Many years ago when my sister had a 'subscription' to F1 Racing, it was directly with the local newsagent. No messing about with the publisher, the local newsagent would set aside a copy with her name on for pickup. Maybe yours can do something similar. No idea about any discount for doing so, but you are assured that they wont run out before you get to the shop.

Call me naive, but I thought delivering to subscribers would be the top priority?

And I've said this before, but my Economist is never late. Even during a postal strike.

Publication has been delayed twice, and each time the paper has emailed with a valid reason, then a letter of apology.

Advertisement

#552 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:27

OK, have started poll...

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=116614

#553 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:44

Good work. Will be interesting to see if it is just us unlucky punters or if it is widespread.

#554 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:03

The genius of unions. The country's in the toilet, unemployment's shooting towards three million and postmen go on strike. It's almost as if there's no skiled workforce looking for jobs out there.

I know. I'm generally in favour of public ownership over such core services, but public sector unions truly have no idea. The sad irony is they are speeding up the very privatisation process they are supposedly (because no-one truly knows what they are really pissed off about) protesting.

Idiots.

#555 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:44

This month's issue of F1 Racing managed to run the Royal Mail gauntlet and has arrived in good time.

Just flicking through it, I get the impression that they had their fingers crossed that the race for the championship would go all the way until the final race of the season at Abu Dhabi - allowing them more time to piece together an actual article. Instead, there's a dozen or so pages full of pictures on Jenson Button. Guessing something with a bit more depth will be coming next month?

Otherwise, a quick flick through suggests it's an interesting enough issue. The Force India and Adrian Sutil articles look interesting and it's good that they're getting a moment in the spotlight for a change.

#556 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:40

A small point about Autosport magazine...

In the race report section where they rate each driver, the helmet above Liuzzi is actually Fisichella's.

Has been like this for every race Liuzzi has run this year.

#557 athlon

athlon

• 509 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:51

This month's issue of F1 Racing managed to run the Royal Mail gauntlet and has arrived in good time.

Just flicking through it, I get the impression that they had their fingers crossed that the race for the championship would go all the way until the final race of the season at Abu Dhabi - allowing them more time to piece together an actual article. Instead, there's a dozen or so pages full of pictures on Jenson Button. Guessing something with a bit more depth will be coming next month?

Otherwise, a quick flick through suggests it's an interesting enough issue. The Force India and Adrian Sutil articles look interesting and it's good that they're getting a moment in the spotlight for a change.

Wow. Who is on the cover? :D Is there article about Jenson's winning?

#558 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:53

Wow. Who is on the cover? :D Is there article about Jenson's winning?

Nope. Front cover features a picture of Yuji Ide! Who'd have thought?!!

#559 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 13:07

Nope. Front cover features a picture of Yuji Ide! Who'd have thought?!!

You're joking...

Doesn't that magazine sell on its cover?

Which is why Lewis is on there one out of three months?

Advertisement

#560 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 15:05

I seem to be wondering through the valley of sarcasm here?!?

#561 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 16:51

I seem to be wondering through the valley of sarcasm here?!?

So Ide is on the cover?

Or am I being as stupid as a box of hammers?

#562 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 17:44

I'll put you out of your misery potmotr... here's a photo of the cover

Posted Image

What I am sure Dank was meaning was that he was being sarcastic with his mention of Ide ;)

That said though, Ide is featured in the magazine, as part of an article on F1's worst drivers ever :lol:

Edited by Psymon, 26 October 2009 - 17:52.

#563 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 14:44

Another month, another Lewis cover.

Does anyone read this magazine still? I picked it up just to see how things stood at the newsstand today. I was intrigued if their claim of a genuine, facade removing Lewis interview was just that, or rather just more of the same fake pr spun bullshit Lewis normally comes out with.

Sadly it was, indeed, the latter. I don't understand how apologising for something but actually refusing to take any responsibility for something (and always qualifying '_if_ people saw something some way' and other verbally evasive phrasing... ) is classed as being frank and honest?

It was also quite amusing to see Hans Boring bigging up F1 Racing's stature as the world's biggest, most sold 'Grand Prix' magazine. Precisely how many are there again? Bit like American Baseball's 'world series' if you ask me... And if circulation numbers are anything to go by, declining manufacturer and sponsor activity in the sport, and of course generally dwindling advertising revenues - I wonder how long F1 Racing will be around? The magazine already feels thinner in my hands now. Can any subscribers that are left say if it's actually gotten smaller or is it just my perception?

Edited by kar, 25 November 2009 - 14:46.

#564 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 14:57

Does anyone read this magazine still? I picked it up just to see how things stood at the newsstand today. I was intrigued if their claim of a genuine, facade removing Lewis interview was just that, or rather just more of the same fake pr spun bullshit Lewis normally comes out with.

Sadly it was, indeed, the latter. I don't understand how apologising for something but actually refusing to take any responsibility for something (and always qualifying '_if_ people saw something some way' and other verbally evasive phrasing... ) is classed as being frank and honest?

It was also quite amusing to see Hans Boring bigging up F1 Racing's stature as the world's biggest, most sold 'Grand Prix' magazine. Precisely how many are there again? Bit like American Baseball's 'world series' if you ask me... And if circulation numbers are anything to go by, declining manufacturer and sponsor activity in the sport, and of course generally dwindling advertising revenues - I wonder how long F1 Racing will be around? The magazine already feels thinner in my hands now. Can any subscribers that are left say if it's actually gotten smaller or is it just my perception?

I looked at it in the newsagents today and thought it was dire, it was only the 3rd issue I read under the new editor, I see they have recruited Ed Gorman now though so hopefully he will spice it up

Haymarket would never close F1 Racing though, they licence it all over the world, its their crown jewel however dire it has become

#565 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 15:25

I subscribe to F1 Racing and always enjoy reading it. I've found 5 of the magazines lying round the house, issues 160 (Jun09) and 163-6(Sep-Dec09). All of them have 114 pages inside the covers apart from 163 which has 106. So generally the number of pages seems to be fairly static (though I cannot say for any other copies as they've gone for recycling).

As for covers, this month's is the only one of the selection of magazines I have that has Hamilton on the cover (in order the five covers show Button, Webber, Button (most prominent) plus Bar-Web-Vet, Button and Hamilton... And from one of the subs pages in the magazine I can see that 161 featured Button and 162 Ferrari. So I don't think you can really say another month another Lewis cover when he's only been on the cover once for the past 7 months... if anything they've over-featured Button on the cover this season! :p

#566 ebeneezer2

ebeneezer2

• 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 15:41

Haven't read it for a while, so I might be requesting something that's already there, but I generally find that interviews with current drivers are almost always boring. Not necessarily because they are boring people, but more likely because they don't want to upset people they work with, or have their more colourful views blown out of proportion by out of context quotes in headlines etc. I'd really like to read interviews with drivers who have moved on from that phase and who aren't afraid to put the boot into former team bosses and team mates etc. What I don't know is whether that would appeal to the average F1 Racing reader, or if they're more aimed at the casual fan who wants to know a bit more about what's happening now.

#567 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:39

Hi Ebeneezer,

I write for the magazine so always follow this thread with interest when it sparks into life from time to time.

We try and have a mix of what you describe - we continue to interview current drivers (hopefully without "fake PR spun BS", incidentally) but also do stuff, where we can, with older names.

Examples in the past six months have been Jean Alesi, Nigel Mansell and, this month, Jacques Laffite and Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

Of course, not everybody needs or wants to put the boot into people, but that's a different debate...

Cheers

Bradley

Haven't read it for a while, so I might be requesting something that's already there, but I generally find that interviews with current drivers are almost always boring. Not necessarily because they are boring people, but more likely because they don't want to upset people they work with, or have their more colourful views blown out of proportion by out of context quotes in headlines etc. I'd really like to read interviews with drivers who have moved on from that phase and who aren't afraid to put the boot into former team bosses and team mates etc. What I don't know is whether that would appeal to the average F1 Racing reader, or if they're more aimed at the casual fan who wants to know a bit more about what's happening now.

#568 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:51

The magazine already feels thinner in my hands now. Can any subscribers that are left say if it's actually gotten smaller or is it just my perception?

What makes the magazine feel thinner in your hands compared to the last few months is the absence of those thick card adverts for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that had been bulking every issue up since the start of the summer. Plus it always seems to get a bit skinnier when the season ends too; it's almost like people would be on holiday...

In terms of content it isn't doing badly, with the magazine still occupying me for a good few days of commuting. Some of those smaller articles, such as the piece about pit lane scrutineers, do make me wonder what ideas have been rejected. When are we going to get a piece about the man at the wheel of the lorry for the drivers parade or a second by second breakdown of what the man that wipes Adrian Sutil's visor during a pitstop does? Still, at least they manage to be readable and maybe even informative.

#569 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:57

Hi kar,

Thanks for your feedback, as ever - even though, as ever, it seems to be critical!

It's a shame to read you thought the Lewis interview was "fake pr spun BS". I interviewed him for nearly an hour, and he didn't dodge or evade any questions. My take on Australia/Malaysia is that he f**ked up, apologised for it and moved on with great success. The details of what happened in the room were raked over extensively; I'm fascinated by how tough it was to come through it and bounce back. And he told me, honestly and, I thought, pretty openly.

When asked what lesson he learned from the whole experience, he said: "(these situations) drop you in a hole. And you're the only one that can really get yourself out of it." If that's not an admission of taking responsibility, and the need to do so, I don't know what is. I'm no apologist for him, but neither did I go in there with an axe to grind. I'm not sure what more you'd expect Lewis to say? Whether you agree with it or not is a different matter, but what we gave you is him, unmoderated and candid.

re: the cover, this is the December 2009 issue. Lewis last featured on our cover in March '09, and before that in December '08. I don't think we can be accused of overdoing it...

As ever, if you'd like to contribute some constructive suggestions as to how we should be improving the magazine, they're very welcome. We're open to both positive and negative views, but you seem to have some pretty extreme opinions about what we produce - without, by your own admission, actually reading it on a regular basis.

We're here to tailor to enthusiasts like yourself, and people who really care about the sport. I think there's some great stuff in this month's issue, and plenty of stuff you won't have read anywhere else, but it's always interesting to hear what people want to be reading more of.

Cheers

Bradley

#570 madraykin

madraykin

• 141 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 17:04

The magazine already feels thinner in my hands now. Can any subscribers that are left say if it's actually gotten smaller or is it just my perception?

In 2003 the standard appears to have been 146 pages (and before), it started going down at the end of 2005 making it to c.130 by the end of 2006, by 2007 that was down to c.120, and now it's c.110. It's also gotten smaller - the older ones (Since March 2001) are 220mmx295mm, since November 2007 they've been 210mmx280mm. Pre-March 2001 they were actually smaller than the current ones but ran to c.146 pages.

Also, since 2007 (excluding March, April and May 2009 which I can't find) Hamilton has been on 15 covers.

Edited by madraykin, 25 November 2009 - 17:17.

#571 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 17:06

Bradley,
I have been meaning to ask you this...why does F1 Racing change it's cover from country to country? Unless it's the Championship Edition and it will have his photo on it.

#572 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 17:08

Bradley,
I have been meaning to ask you this...why does F1 Racing change it's cover from country to country? Unless it's the Championship Edition and it will have his photo on it.

Hi Ivan,

It's up to the editor of each national edition. They decide what will work best for their market. Sometimes that's the same as the 'main' mag, sometimes not.

Cheers

Bradley

#573 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 17:11

What makes the magazine feel thinner in your hands compared to the last few months is the absence of those thick card adverts for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that had been bulking every issue up since the start of the summer. Plus it always seems to get a bit skinnier when the season ends too; it's almost like people would be on holiday...

In terms of content it isn't doing badly, with the magazine still occupying me for a good few days of commuting. Some of those smaller articles, such as the piece about pit lane scrutineers, do make me wonder what ideas have been rejected. When are we going to get a piece about the man at the wheel of the lorry for the drivers parade or a second by second breakdown of what the man that wipes Adrian Sutil's visor during a pitstop does? Still, at least they manage to be readable and maybe even informative.

Hi Snap Matt

Thanks for the feature ideas! We're also planning an interview with Bernie's chauffeur and those guys who hold the Indian flag behind Vijay next month ;-)

With those small spreads, we try to pick up details that people probably see on the telly but don't always know about - such as the in-garage scrutineers, or the guys on the telemetry, etc. Ironically, the scrutineers piece was a reader idea we liked and went with...

Cheers

Bradley

#574 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 17:53

F1 Racing is a great mag. I've always enjoyed reading it.

#575 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,822 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:02

It has it's good points, some bad points, a lot missing. Autosport the same although not so much missing. That's why I get both.

#576 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:29

Bradley: don't know if you're at liberty to divulge such information, but is Peter Windsor likely to continue writing his column when USF1 is finally up and running?

#577 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:35

Dear god, let's hope not.

#578 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:37

Dear god, let's hope not.

+1

I can't speak for Bradley but if Peter has time to continue his journalism career he is clearly not as focused and committed to USF1 as he should be

None of the other team principals have time to be columnists/writers

#579 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,531 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:47

But team principals are happy to speak to journos. What's the difference between speaking to one and actually being one? I for one would think it interesting to see how someone deals with a start-up team in F1. Especially if the whole thing's a disaster, obviously not great for Windsor but it could make for some interesting journalism, one of the best Autosport articles I remember followed the RAM team at the European GP 1983, where, like in about twelve previous races on the trot, they failed to qualify. So much work, so many hopes...

Advertisement

#580 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:55

But team principals are happy to speak to journos. What's the difference between speaking to one and actually being one? I for one would think it interesting to see how someone deals with a start-up team in F1. Especially if the whole thing's a disaster, obviously not great for Windsor but it could make for some interesting journalism, one of the best Autosport articles I remember followed the RAM team at the European GP 1983, where, like in about twelve previous races on the trot, they failed to qualify. So much work, so many hopes...

We aren't Windsor's target market though, all those hundreds of hours of behind the scenes footage on You Tube he promised and factory webcams showing the public what is going on there and then etc is aimed at the American market so if Windsor was going to do anything more likely he would do for Speed not F1Racing

#581 ebeneezer2

ebeneezer2

• 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 19:15

Hi Ebeneezer,

I write for the magazine so always follow this thread with interest when it sparks into life from time to time.

We try and have a mix of what you describe - we continue to interview current drivers (hopefully without "fake PR spun BS", incidentally) but also do stuff, where we can, with older names.

Examples in the past six months have been Jean Alesi, Nigel Mansell and, this month, Jacques Laffite and Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

Of course, not everybody needs or wants to put the boot into people, but that's a different debate...

Cheers

Bradley

Ok, thanks for the info, I shall inspect the magazine more carefully from now on. I know not everyone leaves Formula 1 with an axe to grind, it justs makes fairly juicy reading when it turns out that they do!

#582 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:06

I reckon Webber will be an awesome interview when he leaves F1. He's probably one of the most un-PR drivers there is, and from his (very) candid discussions he has at his annual Supporter's Club functions .... he seems like he's got an opinion on everything ready to bust out.

Very much like Alan Jones - now THERE'S a target for you Bradley!

I know Matt Bishop used to cop a lot of (quite justified) flak on here over his .... style... , but one thing he did really well was The Long Interview. I like an interview that lasts a good half-dozen pages and covers a broad range of F1 topics. The more text and questions, the better. Bishop did The Long Interview well, but as time went by he seemed to focus a bit too much on himself and getting as many shots of himself with the driver in the article as possible. Editorship of F1 Racing seemed like a means for Bishop to get in with the F1 circus and schmooze his way into a gig with a team... and then he left for McLaren, so I guess it worked for him.

Funny that McLaren's PR presence has been crap since he arrived.

Edited by Turbo4, 26 November 2009 - 12:10.

#583 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:12

But team principals are happy to speak to journos. What's the difference between speaking to one and actually being one?

What is interesting about this quote is that Norbert Haug started his career as a journo before he was hired at Mercedes.

#584 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,531 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 13:32

That would be fairly simples. "Everyone's a wanker except me."

#585 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 13:38

^ but wouldn't it be hilarious! :lol:

#586 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 13:58

I've spoken to him a fair few times and it sounds do-able - could be a nice 30th anniversary tie-in next year, too.

The trick is getting face to face time; we can't just hop on a plane to Oz, alas...

^ but wouldn't it be hilarious! :lol:

#587 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 14:05

re: the Long Interview, thanks for that feedback, you're not the first person to comment that. We're certainly getting 'wordier' in terms of higher word counts per page and interview, but we haven't gone back to that specific format.

To be honest, it only really worked with team bosses and people able/willing to spend the time on it. There were just two active drivers that did one, from what I can see, in about eight years...

I reckon Webber will be an awesome interview when he leaves F1. He's probably one of the most un-PR drivers there is, and from his (very) candid discussions he has at his annual Supporter's Club functions .... he seems like he's got an opinion on everything ready to bust out.

I know Matt Bishop used to cop a lot of (quite justified) flak on here over his .... style... , but one thing he did really well was The Long Interview. I like an interview that lasts a good half-dozen pages and covers a broad range of F1 topics. The more text and questions, the better. Bishop did The Long Interview well, but as time went by he seemed to focus a bit too much on himself and getting as many shots of himself with the driver in the article as possible. Editorship of F1 Racing seemed like a means for Bishop to get in with the F1 circus and schmooze his way into a gig with a team... and then he left for McLaren, so I guess it worked for him.

Funny that McLaren's PR presence has been crap since he arrived.

#588 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 14:35

The trick is getting face to face time; we can't just hop on a plane to Oz, alas...

Why? Didn't someone from F1 Racing hop on a plane to Africa a few years ago to go to Flav's beach house with Fisi and Alonso? Suck it up princess, there's an important man to interview! :lol:

Tie the trip in with an interview with Sir Jack, and then hold that one back for a few issues.

#589 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 14:44

To be honest, it only really worked with team bosses and people able/willing to spend the time on it. There were just two active drivers that did one, from what I can see, in about eight years...

Sorry to harp on it, but with the near-complete lack of testing these guys do now and consequently the amount of free time a lot of them now have, I reckon you might have more luck if you sell it right. As mentioned, your first target should be good talkers like Button & Webber - Webber's got so much free time at the moment he's turning on the bloody Christmas lights at some small town in Buckinghamshire this weekend.

Briatore would be a gun catch right after his verdict in January - I reckon he'll be ready to give Mosley & Co. both barrels whether he wins or loses.

#590 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 14:59

In that ideal-world scenario, you're spot on.

The difference between 'free time' and 'media time' in head of your average F1 driver, though, is a pretty big one. Mark's probably one of the few guys who'd play the game well, in fairness.

As for Briatore, undoubtedly so. Whether, legally, we'd be able to print it is quite another matter!

Sorry to harp on it, but with the near-complete lack of testing these guys do now and consequently the amount of free time a lot of them now have, I reckon you might have more luck if you sell it right. As mentioned, your first target should be good talkers like Button & Webber - Webber's got so much free time at the moment he's turning on the bloody Christmas lights at some small town in Buckinghamshire this weekend.

Briatore would be a gun catch right after his verdict in January - I reckon he'll be ready to give Mosley & Co. both barrels whether he wins or loses.

#591 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,726 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 20:01

Hello again Bradley.

Pat on the back from me (again, I think?!) as I continue to think the mag is probably as good as it has ever been, excluding the odd bit of single-page filler, but that's every magazine in the world.

I enjoyed the Lewis interview immensely. I was at the Powered by Mercedes event a few weekends back and it was good to see him up close and personal and without a PR person hanging beside him. Which leads me to a question which I wonder if you'd answer....

Was the interview with Lewis conducted with or without somebody from Mac sitting alongside?

It was certainly the most candid Lewis interview I've read, so I'll hedge a bet and guess it was just him sat there?

#592 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:53

I'm only now just reading through this month's F1 Racing despite it arriving last weekend.

I have to say I wasn't that engrossed in the Lewis Hamilton feature piece unfortunately. I thought it dragged on a bit and there was too much waffle (perhaps that's a bit harsh, but you get what I mean) between the actual meat of it: his quotes. At six/seven pages long I didn't think I got to know 'the real Lewis' as the front of the magazine suggests. There didn't seem to be anything about him that the average F1 fan wouldn't already know?

I think, as someone previous suggested, the return of the Long Interview in this instance would have been ideal. Fire off the questions and get the responses. Get straight to the point. We all pretty much know Lewis' rags-to-riches story already, and the ups-and-downs of his F1 career, so no real need to go over the same old ground?

#593 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 13:11

Hi dank

That's a fair cop, although I'd take issue with the point about not learning about Lewis - I certainly did as I interviewed him (incidentally, with somebody else in the room, Imperial, but not intervening). I didn't know he got lectured by his Dad about money issues, how much he struggled to handle Lie-gate and its implications, the fact that he actually comes up with parts for the car and hammers his windtunnel guys... There's a rhetoric in which F1 drivers talk about being at the factory etc but I know from first-hand experience that it's very rare to see that level of involvement and understanding.

As for the Q&A format, it's always an option and, as you know, we vary how we treat each subject. Lewis can be an evasive interviewee at times, so we felt that a bit of 'waffle' around the answers would help explain his answers and bring out some of the nuances, which isn't always the case in straight Q&A. Often, the way somebody says something is as revealing as what they say, especially when the person is a guarded interviewee as Lewis can be until he's warmed up.

Looking back at the interview, we don't tell that 'rags to riches' story in the piece or indeed the ups and downs of his career - the questioning is all about 2009. He takes it there at times, and we use it to inform some of his answers, but I think that's all part of trying to interview and analyse him in the round rather than in the narrow moment.

But heh, these are the choices we make, some work for some people and not others, and vice versa...

Cheers

Bradley

I'm only now just reading through this month's F1 Racing despite it arriving last weekend.

I have to say I wasn't that engrossed in the Lewis Hamilton feature piece unfortunately. I thought it dragged on a bit and there was too much waffle (perhaps that's a bit harsh, but you get what I mean) between the actual meat of it: his quotes. At six/seven pages long I didn't think I got to know 'the real Lewis' as the front of the magazine suggests. There didn't seem to be anything about him that the average F1 fan wouldn't already know?

I think, as someone previous suggested, the return of the Long Interview in this instance would have been ideal. Fire off the questions and get the responses. Get straight to the point. We all pretty much know Lewis' rags-to-riches story already, and the ups-and-downs of his F1 career, so no real need to go over the same old ground?

Edited by bradleyl, 27 November 2009 - 13:12.

#594 Ayrton-No.1

Ayrton-No.1

• 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 14:02

I am a long time reader of F1 Racing. I think that under the new leadership the mag is doing a good job, it has a good flow - parade, pitpass, letters, debate, top ten, then and now, murray walker, my life in f1, features - I really like it.

Regarding features and interviews, I would really like to pick out the piece you did with Jean Alesi (I think in July's issue?), that was an awesome interview! :up: I grew up watching Senna, Mansell, Alesi, thus I really crave reading about these 'golden' times  ;)
keep it up Brad :)

#595 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,822 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 22:41

Seems like a good thread to put this: Is anyone a little confused by the Bamber cartoon in this weeks Autosport? I don't get the joke. I don't like the memory of Wolfgang being used in such a joke. Is it just me?

#596 Rob

Rob

• 8,220 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 22:45

Seems like a good thread to put this: Is anyone a little confused by the Bamber cartoon in this weeks Autosport? I don't get the joke. I don't like the memory of Wolfgang being used in such a joke. Is it just me?

It's not just you. I didn't think it was funny and thought it was in bad taste.

#597 P123

P123

• 8,500 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 23:17

I share your sentiments. I'm surprised Autosport allowed it to pass for publication when it could clearly be taken as a tasteless joke (Bamber is usually spot on, but not this time). If Merc were trying to bring DC out of retirement would they have allowed the same cartoon to pass with such a reference to Clark?

#598 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,531 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:13

Like the last post.

#599 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:16

It's not just you. I didn't think it was funny and thought it was in bad taste.

Same, was about as funny as Pete Doherty's antics in Germany the other day

Totally tasteless and disrespectful to the memory of a great driver

Advertisement

#600 bill p

bill p

• 381 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 16:19

Very poor taste - a definite thumbs down for Mr Bamber