Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

F1 Racing (magazine) and F1 media in general...(merged)

• Please log in to reply
1079 replies to this topic

#601 kurupt

kurupt

• 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:37

F1racing . . meh
Here in New Zealand, it costs $10 - I find it odd to spend $10 to read and see pictures of the same guy month in month out . .
Havent bought it this year - purely because of the bias content

I do know that they do produce an "australian" version of the magazine, but it still revolves around hamilton

$10 is much better spent on a pack of cigs these days . .

Advertisement

#602 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:23

Bloody hell! I've still not read the December issue of F1 Racing and this month's has just arrived through my letter box!

A quick flick through what is essentially a season review and it looks quite good. Some in depth articles reminding us of some of the major talking points from this year. Shall provide my thoughts later.

#603 Dunc

Dunc

• 449 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 13:28

The one thing I do give F1 Racing credit for is the quality of its photography, some of its shots are genuinely beautiful. If you could combine this with Motorsport's journalism you would have one hell of an F1 monthly.

#604 josefk

josefk

• 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 22:11

Sad to say having subscribed for a year the January issue is the worst I have read in a long time. It probably came out so soon as it must have taken all of 10 minutes to put together. The articles on Crashgate, Kimi etc are so poor even the Daily Star would think they were too dumbed down. Someone obviously wanted to get away sharpish for a holiday.

#605 josefk

josefk

• 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 22:16

Whilst I think on, has anyone ever managed to buy a Binder for their F1 Racing magazines. I ordered 3 in August, got one delivered in September and had to engage in a 3 month battle to get a refund for the missing 2 and only got this in December. Their customer services must be absolutely the worst, no explanation, no apology, no clue

#606 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:27

Word has it that a certain Bradley Lord will be returning to Renault and has been appointed as head of communications?

Good luck if true :up:

#607 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,738 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:18

Whilst I think on, has anyone ever managed to buy a Binder for their F1 Racing magazines. I ordered 3 in August, got one delivered in September and had to engage in a 3 month battle to get a refund for the missing 2 and only got this in December. Their customer services must be absolutely the worst, no explanation, no apology, no clue

It's amazing how many magazine publishers are like this with binders. It's as if there's only one place that processes the binders for all publications.. and they're c**p. :confused: Never bothered with binders for my motorsport mags but all the others over the years.... same problem - and I've known others to have the same problem.

#608 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,744 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:25

Word has it that a certain Bradley Lord will be returning to Renault and has been appointed as head of communications?

Yep, best of luck and hope you continue to contribute to the discussions here.

#609 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:32

Good for him. It would be interesting, after a period of removed reflection (and when he is at liberty to talk about it) how he found the (haymarket) print world.

Edited by kar, 26 January 2010 - 12:32.

#610 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 14:32

Just came across the story courtesy of Joe Saward's blog.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

If I remember currectly it was Blord that was a great Renault pressman that contributed heavily to these forums during Renault's successful seasons, and contributed as an F1 racing contact during the fallow years (and his time as an editor with F1 Racing), hopefully Renault f1 manages to maintain or surpass their well-known accessibility.

#611 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 19:43

Apart from the news, mostly here and sometimes there, I don't read much about motorsport, to the exception of Autosport plus.

The journos' blogs, I don't like them. They are a mix of news with a little icing. The one mentioned above, and Allen's as another example, with all due respect, they tragically lack in style. The one publication that makes exception is Brad Spurgeon's blog.

The forums are also a good read. Especially this one, bashing apart.

#612 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 19:47

Yep, best of luck and hope you continue to contribute to the discussions here.

:up:

#613 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 20:16

I don't get F1 Racing every month so can someone tell me.... is the next issue (the March issue I believe) going to have the wall chart, and what day does it appear on the shelves?

#614 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 20:21

I don't get F1 Racing every month so can someone tell me.... is the next issue (the March issue I believe) going to have the wall chart, and what day does it appear on the shelves?

No wall chart in the preview issue.

#615 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,738 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:00

Bugger. I hope they'll do it this year, can't see why not. I'll email them...

#616 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:36

Bugger. I hope they'll do it this year, can't see why not. I'll email them...

Doubt they'll produce one. They've done a preview of each track over a double page spread in this issue, and the next one is out end of March, kinda missing the boat a bit if they were to do one.

#617 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,738 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 17:52

Yeah, just heard from them... no wallchart / calendar this year. :cry: I liked those wallcharts... I wonder if any of the mainstream press will bother. Would be better than a booklet 'guide'.

#618 Ringo

Ringo

• 201 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:14

Anybody got the latest issue of F1 Racing?

I think it is great - a really well balanced and enjoyable season preview issue. I haven't bought the magazine in ages, but I've got to say I am impressed. A big interview with bernie, an individual and well conceived feature on every team, even the ones which looked and look shaky, along with a bit of insight into how they might fare this season makes the whole issue feel like one cohesive piece of literature. I've read it cover to cover and am going back through it all again for another bite.

Edited by Ringo, 27 February 2010 - 07:15.

#619 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:56

Shameful of F1Racing to hire convicted cheat Pat Symonds as their technical writer given the damage he caused to F1's reputation and his confessed role in cheating.

What next ?? Flavio Briatore as features editor ? Nigel Stepney as editor at large ?

F1Racing should not be hiring convicted cheats as correspondents

Advertisement

#620 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:11

Shameful of F1Racing to hire convicted cheat Pat Symonds as their technical writer given the damage he caused to F1's reputation and his confessed role in cheating.

What next ?? Flavio Briatore as features editor ? Nigel Stepney as editor at large ?

Prior to crashgate, Symonds was one of the most insightful and open members of the paddock (please forgive the irony of this comment). Just because of crashgate doesn't mean his opinions are null and void. I don't care about writers' past indiscretions, within reason, but you talk about it as if Heinrich Himmler has just been given a monthly column.

#621 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:23

Besides, who better to do a race report than someone with real experience of the decisions that win or lose a race, especially if one of those decisions was so extreme.

#622 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 17:12

I'd sooner read to Symonds' ramblings than Windsor's contrived tripe he would churn out month upon month.

Edited by dank, 12 April 2010 - 17:12.

#623 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 17:41

Flavio Briatore as features editor?

''I think sexy car strawberry model yes maybe... football no? I dunno maybe he is hmmmm yes''

That was Briatore's response.

#624 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 17:58

F1 racing has just done what every F1 wanted to do! Pick up one of the best current F1 engineers.

Regardless of the crash-gate incident if he was on market, there wouldnt be a team on the grid who wouldnt vouch for his services ;-)!

#625 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:51

I've been a subscriber of F1 Racing since early 2008 and the April issue is the first I think i've read back to front since I can remember (EDIT - oops I forgot, I didn't read Murray Walker's column, I never bother with that). I first noticed the decline in content when Hans Seeberg became editor, and then I simply hated the new look they gave it mid 2008 - totally hated it, and then this culminated in that joke of an issue dedicated to Ferrari which included an article on the role of Ferrari's pasta chef, and about 4 advertisement features :down:

For some reason, I never cancelled my subscription despite barely reading the rag anymore, but just recently they've been getting better. Just one glance back at that first new look issue of July 2008 confirms it. Gone are the huge patronising NOTW esque headlines that take up most of the page to tell you about Alonso's own go-kart or 'KUBICA DRIVING AN F1 CAR, ON THE ROAD!' The layout still sucks, but the content is much better and less try-hard than before. Coincidentally, it's the first issue since Bradley Lord has moved on to pastures new. I don't know if it's just coincidence that I like it much better, but I know that I always enjoyed his articles much better in Autosport than F1 Racing where he seemed to write literally 50% of the entire magazine.

I had been on the verge of cancelling my subscription, but if they can carry on in this vein then I shall remain a subscriber. IMO Pat Symonds was a steal for them and I look forward to the May issue which should have his take on Melbourne, Sepang and Shanghai. The magazine is certainly still far from perfect, but it at least seems to be headed in the right direction. Any other subscribers feel the same?

Edited by PretentiousBread, 15 April 2010 - 11:52.

#626 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:58

I've been a reader of the magazine since the very start, and to my mind its improved greatly since Hans Seeburg took the reins, it seems to be on an upwards trajectory. Looking back a few years, say to about 2005, the magazine was becoming a real chore to read, in fact I only didn't cancel my subscription is because I'm lazy and the mag did come up with the odd good feature.

By and large the magazine then seemed to consist of.....

-Page after page of F1 business (yawn, if I wanted to read about this I'd read the Financial Times)
-Often 8 pages or more of Peter Windsors drivel, particularly contrived rubbish like the 'Friction Circle'
-A feature with an F1 'character' like Alex Wurz doing something 'exciting' like cycling.
-David Coulthard saying how he was going to win the WDC this year.

Seeburg seems to have realised people want to read about the actual racing, and seems to have a knack for featuring more interesting stories like the new Lotus team, not so long ago the Lotus story would have been a long feature about BMW and their super computer...zzzzzz. He's also realised that the sport does have a great heritage, and pays due attention to this, some of the historical articles have been worth the cover price alone. Wish he'd bring back the 'Long Interview' and the superb studio shots of classic F1 cars though......

Edited by wepmob2000, 15 April 2010 - 12:59.

#627 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 13:13

The best years of F1 racing were the first few years. Then it still seemed purely about F1 racing and had balanced views from the people involved with good race reports. Then it evolved into utter shit which went out of its way to belittle certain drivers and personalities at every chance, not to mention outrageous headlines inclinded to attract NOTW readers. Matt Bishop was an A grade tosser.

I haven't picked one up since around 2006. Haven't read one properly since around 2001. Doubt I'd get back on it.

#628 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 13:27

Did you know Matt Bishop left two seasons ago?

#629 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:17

Did you know Matt Bishop left two seasons ago?

Absolutely.

#630 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:51

Anyone received their May issue of F1 Racing yet? Slightly disappointed they weren't able to include Pat Symonds' race review of Shanghai (I didn't think my issue would arrive so early). Overall though, the magazine continues to impress me and is restoring my faith in it after so many sub-standard issues. I actually care now when I see it's come through the letterbox, and I once again take time to sit down and read through it. The content is much better than before and is more in depth about things that are relevant to true Formula One fans, and the presentation is just subtler than before, which I appreciate. I'd like to see Kar's opinion of it to see if he agrees that it has improved a lot just very recently :up:

Edited by PretentiousBread, 20 April 2010 - 09:53.

#631 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,373 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:08

You received your issue on a Tuesday morning and expected it to include 48 hour old information? Do you understand how physical printing works? :p

#632 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:19

You received your issue on a Tuesday morning and expected it to include 48 hour old information? Do you understand how physical printing works? :p

As I said it arrived very early, it actually came yesterday. I didn't realise the issue was due so soon after Shanghai. I just assumed that since they had previewed it in the last issue that they would have had a review in the following one.

#633 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,373 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:21

Because of the timing it will be in the next issue along with Barcelona and(I think) Monaco. I got my copy on Friday so there was no way it was going to include China.

#634 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:22

Because of the timing it will be in the next issue along with Barcelona and(I think) Monaco. I got my copy on Friday so there was no way it was going to include China.

You got it on friday?! I'm used to hearing about the magazine arriving days late, not almost a week early.

#635 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 13:17

Anyone received their May issue of F1 Racing yet? Slightly disappointed they weren't able to include Pat Symonds' race review of Shanghai (I didn't think my issue would arrive so early). Overall though, the magazine continues to impress me and is restoring my faith in it after so many sub-standard issues. I actually care now when I see it's come through the letterbox, and I once again take time to sit down and read through it. The content is much better than before and is more in depth about things that are relevant to true Formula One fans, and the presentation is just subtler than before, which I appreciate. I'd like to see Kar's opinion of it to see if he agrees that it has improved a lot just very recently :up:

Got my copy yesterday, and likewise I found its got a great deal of interesting stuff in it and seems to be continuing its upward trend in terms of quality. The Andretti/Fittipaldi article and the Max Mosley Q/A feature are particularly good, as are the Barrichello interview and the 'what happened to USF1' feature. I hope they don't seek to re-employ Peter Windsor now he's at a loose end.........

#636 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 13:34

This month's new look F1 Racing magazine popped through my letterbox this morning. Haven't had time to read much of the content, but on appearances alone, it looks heaps better now than previously.

Edited by dank, 19 July 2010 - 13:35.

#637 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 14:07

This month's new look F1 Racing magazine popped through my letterbox this morning. Haven't had time to read much of the content, but on appearances alone, it looks heaps better now than previously.

I've only had a glance myself but I had to laugh at the headline about the MP4-25, saying it had now become the car to beat :confused:

Still, I agree, the appearance of it is better than before and I noticed how they had some of Autosport's writers like Tony Dodgins and Adam Cooper doing articles which can only be a good thing.

#638 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 17:41

I have subscribed to 'F1 Racing' for quite some time. The new edition was delivered to me today and my first impression is that it has more content. In particular I like the Eddie Irvine article. He hasn't changed much! Best quote -

"When Michael Schumacher was turning up at races after he'd retired, he was like a spare prick at a wedding"

I nitice the price has went up ):

#639 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,181 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 23:47

looks like they've got a new photoshop artist in :lol: (button front cover)

Advertisement

#640 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:09

Tried buying one today but nowhere to be seen. Subscription ran out last month and new one starts next month. I go away tomorrow so I'm gonna have to wait 3 weeks...

#641 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:21

Tried buying one today but nowhere to be seen. Subscription ran out last month and new one starts next month. I go away tomorrow so I'm gonna have to wait 3 weeks...

It's out tomorrow I believe.

I've read most of the issue now, and it's decent enough. The Eddie Irvine article is probably the best of the lot. Felt disappointed somewhat by the Jenson Button feature as he didn't want to give much away and I don't feel like I actually discovered anything about life at McLaren. The Mark Webber piece suffered from the fact it was wrote before the British Grand Prix, so failed to mention the 'wing-gate' saga.

But other than that, well worth a look.

#642 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:43

What do people think of Motorsport News? I like the idea of a motorsport-dedicated newspaper. I'm torn between that and Autosport really. Which has the more quality content?

#643 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:50

What do people think of Motorsport News? I like the idea of a motorsport-dedicated newspaper. I'm torn between that and Autosport really. Which has the more quality content?

Motorsport News seems to focus more on rallying and national racing than Autosport does. I buy it if I find myself needing something to preoccupy me on my commute in the morning. It's a good read, but given the format of it, I tend to lob it in the bin after reading. So to me, it feels a bit expensive. Compared to say Autosport, of which I have about ten years' worth gathering dust in the corner.

Edited by dank, 21 July 2010 - 10:52.

#644 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:24

I would get it tomorrow but I'm off early and everywhere will be shut.

#645 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 13:13

Motorsport News seems to focus more on rallying and national racing than Autosport does. I buy it if I find myself needing something to preoccupy me on my commute in the morning. It's a good read, but given the format of it, I tend to lob it in the bin after reading. So to me, it feels a bit expensive. Compared to say Autosport, of which I have about ten years' worth gathering dust in the corner.

Yeah I think you're right. It's such a shame it doesn't focus on international affairs and series, although I guess that would bring them into the firing line of Autosport. Fact is though, I buy autosport most of the time as I'm drawn in by the pictures, only to find I've finished reading the articles after about 15mins. Motorsport news has the opportunity to have many more editorials and reports etc. The latest issues WRC report was far more substantial than anything I've read in Autosport

#646 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 13:31

Dunno where to put this but "F1 media in general" should cover it.

As per usual our friends from Spitpass get it sometimes very wrong, usually people let it slide or make the boys retract the article.
However Alan Donnelly is not the man to let slanderous and libellous accusations pass without a fight hence:

Alan Donnelly: An Apology

:lol: :up:

#647 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 16:45

Just finished reading this month's F1 Racing and was pretty disappointed - a bit of 'meh' issue really.

The Schumacher piece was lacking any real input from the man himself. Bar four quotes (which have been heard several times before in the press), which accumulated to two columns, it doesn't really live up to him "taking on his critics" as the front cover suggests.

The rest of the article is just outsiders voicing their opinions on him.

Bit of a dip after last month.

Edited by dank, 25 August 2010 - 16:45.

#648 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 185 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:30

Maybe the Autosport editors should wait a little bit more after the race to write their articles and cool off.

After reading the mag seems that the key of the race was massa holding the pack, not Alonso being always focused on track, keeping his tyres, being the fastest, and the red bull problems

And Alonso┬┤s advantage in WDC is now all thanks to Massa.

feels like a sour magazine to me this week, while I normally enjoy reading it very much

#649 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 185 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:41

did you guys read the mag?

did you get this impression?

#650 kandru

kandru

• 178 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:32

that 'Massa held the pack' is utter nonsense, as Michael Schumacher was not close enough to even be held back