Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

F1 Racing (magazine) and F1 media in general...(merged)

• Please log in to reply
1079 replies to this topic

#951 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:42

Anyone read GP Week?

They've announced in this week's issue that they'll be going down the subscription route as of next week. £37.50 for 40 issues; £19.95 for 20.

Advertisement

#952 Felix

Felix

• 704 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:47

Anyone read GP Week?

They've announced in this week's issue that they'll be going down the subscription route as of next week. £37.50 for 40 issues; £19.95 for 20.

Hell they couldn't even give it away...

#953 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,890 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:40

I only skim it because it's free. There's never been anything in it worth reading and most weeks I don't read any of the articles.

#954 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 19:30

I only skim it because it's free. There's never been anything in it worth reading and most weeks I don't read any of the articles.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. I can sympathize with the financial difficulties in the free model, but it simply isn't a strong enough product to justify a subscription. Nothing in there that you couldn't find elsewhere and usually full of typos and factual errors to boot.

I certainly wouldn't risk paying upfront for 40 issues, regardless....

Mind you, somehow there are people who are willing to pay for Saward's magazine. But whilst he tends to be polarising, GP Week is just pretty blah.

#955 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 19:34

There's too much in GP Week that is available elsewhere. It's a good read - certainly better than Saward's magazine - but to me there's not enough to justify a subscription. It's not a bad price though and I'd be tempted if there were a few more feature articles rather than a lot of press releases and some exclusive articles.

I can see why they'll try. It is an expensive sport to cover and they don't have much budget at all probably.

Edited by phil1993, 08 October 2012 - 19:35.

#956 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,647 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 19:49

I'm the same as you guys, I used to skim through it occasionally just because it was free, but it isn't worth paying for, especially as I thought it went downhil anyway. Not when it's just general news which I read through the week here - though Autosport seem to want to discourage that as well.

Edited by Fastcake, 08 October 2012 - 19:50.

#957 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 16:53

Is there a market for two F1 magazines?

http://www.gpinternational.com/

#958 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 17:59

Issue One really impressed me. It's made me consider my F1 racing subscription, especially as Autosport seems to be adding a lot of F1 Racing features onto PLUS nowadays.

#959 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,096 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 18:16

Something will be squeezed out here because new F1 fans to buy F1 magazines are not going to appear out of nowhere.

Advertisement

#960 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,890 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 18:35

Hmmm...

The other 'problem' to me is the authors list is the same faces in new places. I need to be convinced there's something new here rather than just a different art layout.

#961 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 19:33

Former Nuts editor Hans Seeburg, hmmm where have I heard that name before? Yes that's right, he took over at F1 Racing just before its quality dived off a cliff.

#962 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:42

Former Nuts editor Hans Seeburg, hmmm where have I heard that name before? Yes that's right, he took over at F1 Racing just before its quality dived off a cliff.

My mate showed me a copy of this magazine and imo it is not at all impressive. The cover is an extremely dark photo of a McLaren with strange lights reflected in the nose. Someone's foot is on the right but the body has been cut off - this is the cover!! There was no news I could see inside it - only features like an interview with JV (why??), a look at the programming of the F1 game (an outdated yawn) and an article telling me how great this year's Williams car is. Immediately following the article is an advert for the Williams conference center!! The design is drab with pages nearly full with text followed by full page photos. For some strange reason it comes with a supplement on the JPS Lotus 72 - if I want that I will read Motor Sport. Overall, give me F1 Racing any day for its colour, content, news and analysis. Some of the writers are the same (Will Buxton has a column in the GP International magazine and writes for F1 Racing - not sure if he will be able to keep that up but it's a good comparison because even his articles are more interesting for F1 Racing). As everything is going digital why would anyone launch a new magazine now anyway? :confused:

#963 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,397 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:00

F1 Racing used to be an absolute must for me years ago. It's even more useful for me now though. I've cut most of them up and masking taped them to the edge of my ceilings to protect them while painting the walls. Works a treat. Thanks F1 racing! :up:

#964 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:44

Issue One really impressed me. It's made me consider my F1 racing subscription, especially as Autosport seems to be adding a lot of F1 Racing features onto PLUS nowadays.

That has annoyed the hell out of me the last couple of weeks. They're publishing 'You ask the questions', the Maurice Hamilton lunch interviews (an idea stolen from Motorsport) and all the key articles from the magazine. The only bits missing really are the 'news' (which is outdated by publish date) and the glut of photos and nonsense articles about steering wheels etc which have been repeated ad-infinitum since F1 Racing started.

I'll see how it goes with the new Peter Windsor stuff, because I do like Peter and his work a great deal. If his articles start appearing on Autosport Plus then there will literally be no value in paying twice for the same content.

#965 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 371 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 14:38

Does anyone remember the old F1 News magazine that was out around 1998? Was aimed at a younger market, and had lots of humour in it, i think its tagline was 'putting the fun back into f1'. It was great when i was young and being introduced to the sport. Sadly it disapeared, but it had its effect on me in ensuring Bernie would always be known as Ecclescake

I got F1 racing for every issue from 1999 onwards, but cancelled the DD last year, as the news was redundant with the web having everything, and the quality of the features had dropped.

Might look out the latest issue to see what its currently like.

Edited by Wiggy, 17 October 2012 - 14:41.

#966 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 371 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 14:40

A decent digital magazine for £1 an issue might be good, printed press is on the wane.

#967 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,128 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 15:20

Press free of nationalism, accurate (factual), original, and well written in printed or digital form is hard to find. Still searching for it.

#968 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,878 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 15:31

A decent digital magazine for £1 an issue might be good, printed press is on the wane.

e-Publishing is a different and difficult animal. Taking the Apple app store as an example, your £1 payment includes 20p VAT (because unlike books, these are not 'printed' and of the balance 30% will go to Apple. That leaves 56p per issue and some quite high user demands for video, high quality images and then words. You'd want your journalists to be able to travel to the events so you'd need to sell a lot of mags to afford that, let alone have enough left over to put a roof over your head. Not easy.

#969 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 20:15

Thanks, I'll check it out. Don't care much for Windsor but Rencken is great.

I think the opposite. Windsor is (or at least was) a genuine insider whereas I find Rencken way too verbose. Nothing to do with the content of his writing but the way it is written. His text is so laden with clauses and long sentences that I sometimes struggle to read through it. I make a point of avoiding any writer whose sentences can be so long that they stretch over several lines and make up an entire paragraph. Just as I can't stand writers who begin sentences with And or But. Ugh! I saw a copy of the GP International in the station today and it is even worse because it is so bland. At least F1 Racing has some life to it. I want a racing magazine which is going to tell me something new not come up with yet another piece about how the F1 game was made *bangs head against wall*

#970 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:00

Just want to include a rant about GP International here, or more specifically Esco Subs, who 'manage' the subscriptions for the magazine.

I won't bore anyone with the full details, but basically I (apparently) subscribed what is coming up to a month ago, making immediate contact with Esco asking if they would send me issue number one as my first issue. This was all agreed and (apparently) set-up for me, with the issue to be posted within a day or two.

Here we are almost a month later, five emails later, various Twitter DM exchanges later, all promises promises promises that all is well and the magazine is on it's way to me. I should have received about five issues by now, the amount of times it has been 'about to be imminently posted' to me. Finally checked my bank account last night, the direct debit is still sat there untouched a month later, not a penny has been withdrawn from my account, so evidently no product will be sent while this is the case. I've cancelled the DD and informed Esco to forget the whole thing. I won't be buying it in the shops as the early subscription deal was £1.00 for three issues then half price following that. I kind of don't even want to see the magazine at all now. I know it should make no difference and this isn't the fault of Messrs Buxton, Seeburn et al, but it would be like a sugar coated pill, I'd feel psychologically uneasy reading it now, especially if paying full whack.

A very boring rant I know, but not the way for GP International to have a successful start. Bright Publishing and Esco Subs have gone on the list of companies that can't do something simple and quick. Withdraw £1.00 and post a magazine? A difficult task I know, even after five emails asking if this can be sorted out.

#971 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:11

Just want to include a rant about GP International here, or more specifically Esco Subs, who 'manage' the subscriptions for the magazine.

I won't bore anyone with the full details, but basically I (apparently) subscribed what is coming up to a month ago, making immediate contact with Esco asking if they would send me issue number one as my first issue. This was all agreed and (apparently) set-up for me, with the issue to be posted within a day or two.

Here we are almost a month later, five emails later, various Twitter DM exchanges later, all promises promises promises that all is well and the magazine is on it's way to me. I should have received about five issues by now, the amount of times it has been 'about to be imminently posted' to me. Finally checked my bank account last night, the direct debit is still sat there untouched a month later, not a penny has been withdrawn from my account, so evidently no product will be sent while this is the case. I've cancelled the DD and informed Esco to forget the whole thing. I won't be buying it in the shops as the early subscription deal was £1.00 for three issues then half price following that. I kind of don't even want to see the magazine at all now. I know it should make no difference and this isn't the fault of Messrs Buxton, Seeburn et al, but it would be like a sugar coated pill, I'd feel psychologically uneasy reading it now, especially if paying full whack.

A very boring rant I know, but not the way for GP International to have a successful start. Bright Publishing and Esco Subs have gone on the list of companies that can't do something simple and quick. Withdraw £1.00 and post a magazine? A difficult task I know, even after five emails asking if this can be sorted out.

You should be thankful. You have dodged a bullet unless you like hybrids of Motor Sport and F1 Racing which are not as interesting as either of them and have poor photography and no news...

#972 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:19

I've promised someone I would post an update, so:

A very nice person at Bright Publishing finally sorted this for me and I now have my magazine at last. Yet to see if Esco subs reinstate the debit correctly and at the correct price, but hopefully it's sorted.

The magazine itself...I genuinely like it. Won't say 'love' two issues in, but it's the right mix of current and recent-historical F1. Kind of like a more exciting version of Motorsport if it were F1 only and didn't delve toooo far into the past.

#973 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:26

You should be thankful. You have dodged a bullet unless you like hybrids of Motor Sport and F1 Racing which are not as interesting as either of them and have poor photography and no news...

See my comments above, but I would say I don't want news in a monthly magazine. As I've probably said elsewhere in the thread, news in a monthly magazine isn't news, it's up to a month old and a waste of pages.

To put it in the context of 2012 and how news works now, I'm sitting looking at live Twitter updates on the FIA's investigation into Vettel's Abu Dhabi qualifying car-stop. An extreme example, but a perfect one to demonstrate how redundant a magazine is for news now.

#974 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 20:22

I've promised someone I would post an update, so:

A very nice person at Bright Publishing finally sorted this for me and I now have my magazine at last. Yet to see if Esco subs reinstate the debit correctly and at the correct price, but hopefully it's sorted.

The magazine itself...I genuinely like it. Won't say 'love' two issues in, but it's the right mix of current and recent-historical F1. Kind of like a more exciting version of Motorsport if it were F1 only and didn't delve toooo far into the past.

But putting it in the context of 2012 magazines at all aren't really necessary, particularly one which doesn't have the visual flair or insight of F1 Racing or Motor Sport (and obviously the same applies to Autosport). Wouldn't surprise me at all if these guys drop the print edition after a few months of realising that the costs involved with it aren't worth the return and the model could be more sustainable without it. At least they can touch up the photography digitally online after it has been published. I still can't get over the first issue's cover with its McLaren shrouded in darkness and a disembodied foot on one side...

#975 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,096 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:11

Good read here from Joe Saward about how rumours are quickly spread around the internet and a bit about journalists: http://joesaward.wor...r-the-new-year/

#976 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,397 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:26

Reminds me of the time someone linked to a story about marko and webber citing it as fact. I researched the author , and it turned out to be a very shady LG electronics dealer trying to plug LG and his store and their tie in with red bull. It was amazing, the more I read about the guy the funnier it got. He was basically a criminal, yet it still made it's way to an autosport forum where some clueless peole were citing it as fact. :well:

#977 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,890 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:31

Love how smug that is. In my experience the more someone crows about how they're a journalist, they less they are.

#978 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,505 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:56

Good read here from Joe Saward about how rumours are quickly spread around the internet and a bit about journalists: http://joesaward.wor...r-the-new-year/

I never liked Saward as a journalist, but it indeed is a good read. I tend to think he and a big chunk of his generation is lost at sea in the 21st century internet age. I do think that good journalism stands out more, and I do think anyone who takes any certain area of interest seriously, sooner rather than later will know what a trustful source of information is, and how to access it, and will be ready to subscribe, long, or short term if and when it is necessary. The 'clutter' is basically not that bad. It more often than not makes 'non-clutter' stand out. BS usually proves to be just that. If JS feels he is fighting the 'clutter', he may be closer to that segment than he would like to admit. There certainly are problems with the internet anarchy, but at this stage, I like to think it does more good than harm. No offence meant to anyone though just my two pence.

#979 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 17:47

Well you can trust the site given in my signature, naturally. Although I'm willing to admit that I'm young and I've made mistakes. Although before I start bursting out into a rendition of 'My Way', it is difficult to know who to trust and who not to trust. Quite frequently the supposedly trustworthy sites claim 'exclusives' that has been common knowledge for a while, or are those cut and paste sites that people ridicule.. Everyone has to gather quotes from other sources, but I always credit the original source. It's just the right thing to do, although I'm perhaps too moral...

But it is difficult, financially. We did a survey and 75% of people said they would not pay. 25% were thinking maybe/yes. We can't afford for 75% of people to clear off, but equally we can't keep going forever without any income. With income, we can go to races and improve quality. Catch 22. I've been to a race and I know you have to start by spending a fortune to make a tuppence, but there is a balancing act that unless people realise that you can't have quality free of charge forever, quality will eventually drop. There's sites out there willing to keep plodding along just by regurgitating stories, which makes it harder for sites like ours to actually say 'we're not like them'.

Edited by phil1993, 05 January 2013 - 17:49.

Advertisement

#980 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 13:38

Okay, so is there a market for three F1 magazines?

http://www.formulamagazine.co.uk/

#981 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:32

Does anyone remember the old F1 News magazine that was out around 1998? Was aimed at a younger market, and had lots of humour in it, i think its tagline was 'putting the fun back into f1'. It was great when i was young and being introduced to the sport. Sadly it disapeared, but it had its effect on me in ensuring Bernie would always be known as Ecclescake

Yeah, I bought a couple of those around 95-96. Pretty good, but a bit thin.

#982 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:41

That almost looks like a scam. The first issue goes on sale tomorrow (allegedly), so you'd reasonably expect some marketing behind it, yet hover your cursor over any of the links on the website and you get told the website is coming soon.

According to Companies House their address is 2 VILLIERS COURT, 40 UPPER MULGRAVE ROAD, CHEAM, SURREY, SM2 7AJ.

Check it out on Google Maps Street View !! At least they're handy for fish and chips on their lunch break.

#983 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,096 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:40

Definitely not a scam: https://twitter.com/...434261521690626

#984 Thisaintlyricism

Thisaintlyricism

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:02

That almost looks like a scam. The first issue goes on sale tomorrow (allegedly), so you'd reasonably expect some marketing behind it, yet hover your cursor over any of the links on the website and you get told the website is coming soon.

According to Companies House their address is 2 VILLIERS COURT, 40 UPPER MULGRAVE ROAD, CHEAM, SURREY, SM2 7AJ.

Check it out on Google Maps Street View !! At least they're handy for fish and chips on their lunch break.

When I followed through the links on Companies House I couldn't believe who is the majority owner in this magazine. The sponsors are going to love it. None other than a former lawyer who was struck off for conflict of interest and went on to act in and direct his own porn movies. I kid you not :eek: :eek:

#985 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,329 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:03

Fangio/Cahier feature: :D
Horner on Red Bull: :)
Pinkham behind the scenes: :well:
Tamara Ecclestone interview: :o

I'll see if it's on sale tomorrow in my home city and report back if it is.

#986 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:54

Definitely not a scam: https://twitter.com/...434261521690626

Yeah I was surprised at that. No functioning website on the eve of launch day, dear me.

They're just in the media game, website isn't important...

#987 Thisaintlyricism

Thisaintlyricism

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:12

Yeah I was surprised at that. No functioning website on the eve of launch day, dear me.

They're just in the media game, website isn't important...

This link below may explain the looks of the website. It seems they suddenly had an urgent need for a designer...
http://community.ucr...Hersham,-Surrey

The magazine seems to be full of former News of the World staff. Its editor in chief is a chap called Ian Edmondson who was previously at the News of the World and was arrested (but not charged) as part of the hacking scandal:
http://www.guardian....d-editor-loaded
http://www.whatsnewi...blue-publishing

Its grooming and beauty editor (yes you read that right: http://diarydirector...-appoints.html) is Cheryl Carter and it happens that Rebekah Brooks' former PA was also called Cheryl Carter. Her linkedin page states that she is a beauty consultant and was also former beauty editor for the Sun so this could be the same Cheryl Carter mentioned in the link above.

I still can't get over the fact that the magazine's majority owner is a former lawyer who was struck off for conflict of interest and went on to act in and direct his own porn movies. That's surely going to go down well with straight-laced German sponsors.

Edited by Thisaintlyricism, 26 February 2013 - 21:12.

#988 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 357 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:15

It's funny how GP International advertises itself as an up-market magazine and yet is so much cheaper than F1Racing :p

#989 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,762 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:16

MVP?

#990 Thisaintlyricism

Thisaintlyricism

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:24

At risk of sounding like Columbo, there's one more thing Imperial. If you do a Whois on the website it states that it is owned by company number 7188314 which in fact shut down last year:
https://www.duedil.c...-agency-limited

#991 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,872 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:09

When I followed through the links on Companies House I couldn't believe who is the majority owner in this magazine. The sponsors are going to love it. None other than a former lawyer who was struck off for conflict of interest and went on to act in and direct his own porn movies. I kid you not :eek: :eek:

Baxendale-Walker?

#992 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:19

Tamara Ecclestone interview: :o

And any remaining credibility goes out the window. It'd be like interviewing Paris Hilton in a magazine devoted to hoteliering. It's ludicrous.

#993 Thisaintlyricism

Thisaintlyricism

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:47

Baxendale-Walker?

:rotfl:

#994 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:51

At risk of sounding like Columbo, there's one more thing Imperial. If you do a Whois on the website it states that it is owned by company number 7188314 which in fact shut down last year:
https://www.duedil.c...-agency-limited

Ha, good digging. You've far exceeded my cursory glance at their address!

Christ, all we need is a Heat magazine for the F1 world.

#995 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:53

MVP?

Minimum viable product?

#996 Thisaintlyricism

Thisaintlyricism

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:56

Ha, good digging. You've far exceeded my cursory glance at their address!

Christ, all we need is a Heat magazine for the F1 world.

Here is an article about the magazine's majority owner.

http://www.thesun.co...-porn-star.html

Say no more.

#997 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:57

Frankly you only need look at their premises. They're in the middle of dumpsville, there's a fish and chip shop a few doors down.

Scarbs is definitely involved it seems, but is that really Rubens writing for them?! Jesus, the salesman must have seen him coming.

#998 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,872 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:01

Synopsis from November 2012

#999 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,706 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:03

Here is an article about the magazine's majority owner.

http://www.thesun.co...-porn-star.html

Say no more.

Wonder if all this is why they don't get to use the 'F1' trademark. Formula Magazine is a horrific title.

Advertisement

#1000 Thisaintlyricism

Thisaintlyricism

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:05

Synopsis from November 2012

Ironically I think that this magazine and and GP International (less than 15% of its content in the current issue is advertising) actually make F1 Racing look even better because it is clear that they have been produced on a budget and it is hard to see how the market is big enough for both of them. The lack of support from a major publisher is evident

Edited by Thisaintlyricism, 26 February 2013 - 23:06.