Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

F1 Racing (magazine) and F1 media in general...(merged)

• Please log in to reply
1079 replies to this topic

#401 rdebourbon

rdebourbon

• 1,353 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 20:16

Generally I read F1 magazine from cover to cover and enjoy each and every issue.

As said in a few posts above, I would also really love to see a bit more technical information in the magazine.

In all the years I have been following F1 I am finding myself becoming more and more fascinated with the development race that goes on off-track. I know a lot of magazines, and websites do cover most updates at the races, but I for one would love each race review to include a section on the updates introduced at that particular race, along with a better description of why the updates are beneficial. Take the last GP in Barcelona, it is widely known that most teams brought updates, but without spending a considerable amount of time on BBs and internet sites it is very difficult to firstly find out what the updates are, and then wade through endless debate about what benefit it provides. I accept and realise that gaining accurate information on some of the updates is virtually impossible, such as the actual weight saved with a new light chassis, but even that can be accounted for in any article. Such articles could also explain the location and function of certain parts with exploded schematics. I can't tell you the amount of confusion that abounds when you mention certain parts in F1 terms - so exploded schematics would go a long way to showing how an F1 car actually fits together.

I'd also like to see more personal profile type articles, not only about the drivers, but with the key personnel at the teams. I know there are already these types of articles, but quite often people refer to names of people within the teams that unless you dedicate significant time and resource to following will be meaningless. Some more information that digs into the structure of an F1 team, not only at the track but back at the factory would go a very long way IMO.

As far as interviews go, someone once said that the point of an interview should be to learn something new, so questions should be probing enough to make reading the interview engaging as well as informative.

Oh, and now that I'm rambling :p I'd love to learn more about the logistics of running an F1 team - managing design and development lead times, shipping and packaging prior to the race, unpacking and preparing for the race, various responsibilities over a weekend, plans and schedules for Free Practice sessions, and then a timeline of what happens *after* the race.. Back to back races must be especially difficult to manage, and for me would be very interesting and probably jaw dropping to understand when you begin to quantify timelines, responsibilites and challenges involved.

Despite all my "whinging" its a great publication and IMO worth a read each month... Keep up the good work...

Advertisement

#402 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 20:18

What sort of thing would you want analysis of at the moment? Equally, which other sports mags are you thinking of?

Thanks

#403 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 20:38

bradlyl, could you shed any more light on Martin Brundle's comments in your magazine this edition about the ongoing affects of being clobbered in the head by Jos Verstappen's rolling Benetton in 1994. Thought it was really interesting. Discussion taking place here: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=109211

#404 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 21:01

What sort of thing would you want analysis of at the moment? Equally, which other sports mags are you thinking of?

Thanks

well firstly i've just had another look at the latest issue and seen the ron dennis article, so you do sometimes do it ! ;)

sort of thing i'm thinking of is stuff like who runs f1 and how its structured, its a fact i've learnt far more about the fundamentals of f1 (e.g. stuff like who f1 owe money to, why they owe the money, how they are going to pay it off etc) from a website like pitpass than i ever have from either autosport of f1 racing which i think is a shame. now maybe you think this sort of thing is too complicated for the audience you are targetting, personally i think the challenge is on you to clearly explain it.

monthly sports mags that i'd hold up as good examples are world soccer and the wisden cricketer.

#405 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 21:54

well firstly i've just had another look at the latest issue and seen the ron dennis article, so you do sometimes do it ! ;)

sort of thing i'm thinking of is stuff like who runs f1 and how its structured, its a fact i've learnt far more about the fundamentals of f1 (e.g. stuff like who f1 owe money to, why they owe the money, how they are going to pay it off etc) from a website like pitpass than i ever have from either autosport of f1 racing which i think is a shame. now maybe you think this sort of thing is too complicated for the audience you are targetting, personally i think the challenge is on you to clearly explain it.

monthly sports mags that i'd hold up as good examples are world soccer and the wisden cricketer.

Perhaps now a little outdated but you really should buy Alan Henry's 'The Powerbrokers', a brill read on that very subject. There's little point in running such an article in a magazine though, as all you'd get would be a brief overview. You could in fact learn a lot more by looking a bit more indepth on the internet than just the decidedly dodgy Pitpass site that doesn't seem to have any control over the stuff that comes out of it's metaphorical mouth. I'm not saying this on Bradley's behalf by the way, but I am saying it on my behalf as a reader, I don't think this sort of thing is too complicated for the majority of F1 Racing's readership at all. It certainly isn't for me, that's why I have Alan Henry's entire book on the subject, not just wanting two or three pages in a magazine, which is all you would get.

The purpose of a magazine like F1 Racing should be to provide bespoke content that isn't anywhere else, hence the emphasis on interviews. It's exclusive content. Telling us who does what in F1 isn't exclusive, because it's all out there waiting to be find already, thus it's a waste of space putting it in a magazine. In my opinion!

To all who have posted within this thread, including Bradley, I do actually in a way wish I could lock/close this thread as it has gone way beyond it's original intended purpose. Perhaps a re-read of my original post will remind people what my original criticism of F1 Racing was. On another note I personally believe the magazine has come along leaps and bounds now that the Bishop-era is behind us and now that Peter Windsor's input has been greatly reduced/shifted. I honestly can't see the value in a flurry of posts after each new edition of F1 Racing goes on sale followed by Bradley having to defend the magazine. I don't think it's really fair on Bradley as judging by the times of day he is posting it's clearly outside of what one would perceive as normal working hours. Everyone including Bradley are of course free to say if they agree the thread has served it's purpose but I am considering politely requesting the mods lock it in a few days or so.

Edited by Imperial, 17 May 2009 - 21:55.

#406 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 22:07

The purpose of a magazine like F1 Racing should be to provide bespoke content that isn't anywhere else, hence the emphasis on interviews. It's exclusive content. Telling us who does what in F1 isn't exclusive, because it's all out there waiting to be find already, thus it's a waste of space putting it in a magazine. In my opinion!

i respect that pov :up: but i disagree ! i think f1 racing should not only be exclusive content, but also provide a guide in areas where we have almost an overload of information in the public domain, sorting the wheat from the chaff if you see what i mean.

btw, i agree with your point about pitpass to a certain extent, i don't trust what they say 100%, which is why I'd like a publication like f1 racing (which when they do cover this sort of area I have a high level of trust about what they are telling me) to get involved with it a lot more

#407 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 22:29

btw, i agree with your point about pitpass to a certain extent, i don't trust what they say 100%, which is why I'd like a publication like f1 racing (which when they do cover this sort of area I have a high level of trust about what they are telling me) to get involved with it a lot more

Nothing personal but I am always amazed at how many people on this forum cite Pitpass as an example of what is a good motorsport news outlet.

Seriously, this link is actually a news story on their site, and no it isn't from April 1st:

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=37908

If autosport.com posted anything resembling that I'd seriously be writing to them asking for the immediate resignation of their news editor.

You did also mention earlier that the Pitpass section of F1 reads like a bunch of press releases. Tell me this article from the Pitpass website doesn't:

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=37905

Edited by Imperial, 17 May 2009 - 22:33.

#408 SF_TechnoFox

SF_TechnoFox

• 86 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:44

Red Bull Street Parade from Hungary, Szeged !

Video:

http://www.rtlhirek....allery/31:55666

Pics:

http://f1hirek.hu/hi...an_200906172053

#409 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:16

nah, I don't mean what gary anderson does on the tech updates - I'm talking indepth articles that go from basic physics principles to what is happening on the cars. Things that never change - like tyres, like engine performance, what's happening with the gearboxes etc. Written so that they take people from the basics, and make it so they fully understand what's happening - not giving a fragmented view where their own imagination fills in the gaps.

#410 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:24

As for this thread, I've got no problem coming on here to chat to readers/answer questions/tackle criticism. It seems to be a positive exchange rather than a typical Bulletin Board affair, so I'm happy to carry on.

And it is appreciated. :up:

#411 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:48

Understood, I was talking more about what rdebourbon said on that point. I know what you mean about these areas, though. I did something similar for Renault, working with Pat Symonds to explain these different areas. It may be something worth revisiting.

nah, I don't mean what gary anderson does on the tech updates - I'm talking indepth articles that go from basic physics principles to what is happening on the cars. Things that never change - like tyres, like engine performance, what's happening with the gearboxes etc. Written so that they take people from the basics, and make it so they fully understand what's happening - not giving a fragmented view where their own imagination fills in the gaps.

#412 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:16

Perhaps to an extent, Buttoneer. The WMSC thing was interesting because it's a place people don't see inside, so it was a way of casting light into a normally obscure corner of the sport - and, more specifically, was a technical wrangle that had genuine ramifications for what happened on track.

I don't think the current squabbles, with their empty threats and battles of ego, have anything like that level of interest. It's simple more of the same dirty washing that F1 should learn to do in private, not public. We've covered the budget cap question in our last issue, and that's what this whole squabble really boils down to; equally, we've given our view on what the solution will be, which is currently something people are edging towards.

But I'm not convinced we need to look in detail at the fact that, when teams don't get their own way, they start making threats that are, even by their own admission, empty.

#413 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:42

I assume that you are a subscriber here? Take a look at Dieter Renckens last article where he mentions the possibility of the teams taking over A1GP. I think that's a possibility well worth covering in some depth. The possible circuits, the adaptability to F1 cars, the cars themselves and whether F1 would need to scrap them (probably) etc. It actually doesn't matter whether the headline and final conclusion is 'why it wouldn't work' because that serves ultimately to big F1 up just a little bit more.

There are some good angles to this row (IMHO of course) and these threats are really very public at the moment and I think some might turn to what they consider an authoritative source for some good analysis (not news...) on the subject.

#414 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:37

I don't think there's the slightest chance of that happening, Buttoneer. Hence why we wouldn't write about it. You'll have to forgive the weariness but we've heard so much of this so many times before that it's very hard to believe it will happen.

I take your point about turning to us for analysis and it's something we'll have to think about if this looks like becoming anything other than the current storm in a (large) teacup. But as I say, I'd argue we've covered the underlying issues in our budget cap piece. Time will tell if we were right.

#415 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 15:06

Interesting comments Bradley. I am fairly glad you take that view of the current storm in a tea cup as you so rightly put it. While the politics is interesting for us fans, you need to be buying the Economist to read the answers we want. Your probably right in the sense that the mag should focus on the sport and not the bickering.

Im assuming you have a different view to the lie-gates and spy-gates, etc?

#416 mattorgen

mattorgen

• 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 15:17

I take your point about turning to us for analysis and it's something we'll have to think about if this looks like becoming anything other than the current storm in a (large) teacup.

What is the this? Is it the economic recession? This is already the biggest storm in excess of five tens of years.

#417 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 15:42

This is the current squabble between the teams and the FIA, as my post makes clear if you read the full conversation.

#418 mattorgen

mattorgen

• 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 15:45

This is the current squabble between the teams and the FIA, as my post makes clear if you read the full conversation.

OK :) I had understood you to say that the effect of economys downturn on F1 is not important to read.

#419 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 15:45

Interesting comments Bradley. I am fairly glad you take that view of the current storm in a tea cup as you so rightly put it.

Of course a good analysis piece would tell us why this is so ;)

Advertisement

#420 bradleyl

bradleyl

• 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 15:57

Once again, Buttoneer, read the budget cap piece where I refer to F1 entering the 'haggling phase' and the FIA's strategy in proposing the two-tier formula etc... That's what I/we think is going on here and it's the heart of the issue. Tracking the to-ing and fro-ing of the different declarations from each side doesn't really add anything of much value in a monthly mag, I don't think.

#421 Barramut

Barramut

• 930 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 16:29

I used to buy F1 Racing in its very begining.
I see the magazine as...
1> a pictorial of F1 with closes and artistic shots of people and cars in motion.
2> a story teller of F1 characters individually.

However...
1> since the development of internet F1 sites and flickr/youtube, you can have lots of high def pictures on the net and on a bigger LCD screen.
2> F1 Racing sees every person as precious and interesting, placing the interaction [conflics] among them on a second plane, trying not to take sides. You shall not judge. the magazine always seek for the bright side of the portraited person/team. :up:

#422 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 16:51

Once again, Buttoneer, read the budget cap piece where I refer to F1 entering the 'haggling phase' and the FIA's strategy in proposing the two-tier formula etc...

Sorry to mislead. The little winking smilie was intended to denote that I was not serious.

#423 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 20:01

yeah fair enough but i highly doubt people get excited about how much every driver has been fined, i respect the editoral direction you are trying to take the magazine but its not for me, not enough substance

I thought that for what it was, a one page article, it was actually interesting. Granted about 70% of the page being taken up with an illustration is a bit cheeky, but there's not a newspaper or magazine on the planet that doesn't use large illustrations. Surely there's bigger fish to fry though than a one page article?

Incidentally, I just realised that tomorrow is exactly a year since I started this thread and I just want to say to Bradley that F1 Racing has changed immensely in that time and I happen to think the magazine is as good now as it has ever been. Honestly, the only thing I could possibly ask for would be the return of The Long Interview, which I have to say was one thing Matt Bishop did do right in his last year or so, when the rest of the magazine was absolutely crumbling.

#424 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 20:37

\Honestly, the only thing I could possibly ask for would be the return of The Long Interview, which I have to say was one thing Matt Bishop did do right in his last year or so, when the rest of the magazine was absolutely crumbling.

The one thing I love about Nigel Roebuck's Motorsport magazine is Simon Taylor's Lunch With... section.

The interviews go for many pages and Taylor is virtually silent, just letting the subject's quotes run and run.

The key is that Taylor clearly has the interviewing skill to gather enough material for the piece to sustain its length.

Not sure if this would work in F1R, given that Taylor's subjects are usually at the end of their careers and can reflect on their career in a completely candid manner. A few wines probably help too!

I doubt the current players in F1 would be up for such an interview.

#425 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:02

The one thing I love about Nigel Roebuck's Motorsport magazine is Simon Taylor's Lunch With... section.

The interviews go for many pages and Taylor is virtually silent, just letting the subject's quotes run and run.

The key is that Taylor clearly has the interviewing skill to gather enough material for the piece to sustain its length.

Not sure if this would work in F1R, given that Taylor's subjects are usually at the end of their careers and can reflect on their career in a completely candid manner. A few wines probably help too!

I doubt the current players in F1 would be up for such an interview.

Yes, I too love Simon Taylor's article, although he sometimes picks interview subjects that are surely on the obscure side even for what you might term truly veteran motorsport enthusiasts.

#426 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:05

motorsport is great, but i really struggle to justify buying it to just read 2-3 articles

#427 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:30

Yes, I too love Simon Taylor's article, although he sometimes picks interview subjects that are surely on the obscure side even for what you might term truly veteran motorsport enthusiasts.

I'm just thinking who he has done lately.. Eddie Jordan, John Watston, Keke Rosberg and this month (a very young looking) Jackey Oliver.

#428 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:39

motorsport is great, but i really struggle to justify buying it to just read 2-3 articles

I usually get through a fair amount and love stuff like Gordon Kirby, Roebuck naturally, Simon Taylor and the odd feature here and there, but I'm yet to commit to a subscription, even though it would save me £££ in the longrun as I haven't missed an issue for easily a year now. Would save me traipsing up to WH Smith once a month too!

I actually used to hardly ever buy an issue as for me it was focusing too far back, but under it's current editor it's focusing on more recent history which for me at 33 makes it more enjoyable for me, although from the dedicated thread on TNF it's clear a lot of the old timers don't like it's current format too much. It still focuses quite a lot on really obscure stuff from the deepest past and to be honestwith those articles I sometimes feel like I am peeking from behind curtains into a private members club and they have no intention of inviting me in.

#429 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:43

I'm just thinking who he has done lately.. Eddie Jordan, John Watston, Keke Rosberg and this month (a very young looking) Jackey Oliver.

Was Eric Broadley in about 6 months ago? I'm sure I recall somebody involved in a manufacturer featuring and I'm thinking it was related to Broadley and Lola. I don't remember and my Motorsport's tend to get recycled, unlike my F1 Racing's (seriously) of which I have every single issue. I do look at every issue with anticipation to see who Simon Taylor interviews each month. Honestly that was the one thing that got me through the darkest of the Matt Bishop years, waiting to see who was subject to The Long Interview each issue. If there is one thing I could lobby Bradley to push for it's bring back The Long Interview.

#430 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,212 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:53

Those are surely the best ones? In default of a Jackie Oliver autobiog that lunch is probably the closest we will get to an overview of the man's career from his own mouth. Although given that David Bull Publishing have done books by people like Vic Elford and Pete Bryant - big names in the field, but not to the casual observer - maybe there's hope for a load more to come.

#431 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 22:03

Those are surely the best ones?

I would say in some ways yes, in some ways no (concerning not just Taylor's occasional obscure subjects, but the magazine as a whole). There are just occasions when I can get through maybe the first page of an article on a seriously obscure topic and I just find myself bored because I don't have the background knowledge to give any context to the article.

I would actually love to know the average readership age for Motorsport. I know I am below that average age, it's obvious from the magazines average content. To be fair, assuming the magazine stays as it is, I'm probably a good 15 to 20 years away from the time when I will really be able to enjoy it 100% from cover to cover, because by that time one assumes the bulk of their focus will be on the 1980's and early 1990's onwards.

Edited by Imperial, 18 May 2009 - 22:03.

#432 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 22:47

Nothing personal but I am always amazed at how many people on this forum cite Pitpass as an example of what is a good motorsport news outlet.

Seriously, this link is actually a news story on their site, and no it isn't from April 1st:

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=37908

If autosport.com posted anything resembling that I'd seriously be writing to them asking for the immediate resignation of their news editor.

Imperial, I have a bunch of F1 websites I tune into, and that is, amongst others, Autosport for serious content, grandprix.com for in depth analysis (Joe Saward is not always getting it wrong, and there is Mike Doodson as well...), when I chose to click into pitpass I expect the odd tongue-in-cheek article, which they do at least once a week or so. It sometimes left me flabbergasted, but nowadays I sometimes enjoy such "reports", and sometimes, like the link you mention above, its tasteless. But at least I know that I can expect that at pitpass.com.

Concerning F1 Racing, I still have my subscription and will surely renew it. The magazine has changed for the better, Peter Windsor will be gone soon and Alan Henry I have to ignore when he rambles too personally about Fernando Alonso (well, its his opinion, he surely has an issue with the Spaniard). The historic footage is wonderful, photographs I never came across anywhere else, and I surely enjoy the exclusive content.

As you say, only The Long Interview is missing, that was often a special read....

Edited by aditya-now, 18 May 2009 - 22:49.

#433 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 23:26

By the way, nice read by Mike Doodson: The hack looks back

#434 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:57

I think there's considerable bias over at Pitpass.

The site's editor/owner Chris Balfe has his favourites and if you're not one of those favourites, you get short shift on his site. Coupled with that, they seem to have reverted lately to just being a site of press releases labelled as 'latest news'. I've never understood why but Pitpass also has some quite bizarre characters writing features periodically, contributors who seem (to me) to have little actual F1 pedigree .... I personally think they're just online mates.

Pitpass certainly doesn't like Mark Webber, and never has done. Here's Bafle's assessment of David Coulthard's 2007 season:

David finally got some points in Spain, finishing fifth, however it was to be another couple of months, in Germany, before he added to his tally, and even that was more down to luck than judgement. Nonetheless, despite the 'fragility' of the RB3, David appeared to have the edge over his Australian teammate, Mark Webber, eventually ending up two places ahead of the Australian in the Drivers' Championship.

:lol:

Were we watching the same season? DC might have edged Mark on points (due to the unreliability of the RB3), but Mark was all over Coulthard in Practice, Qualifying, and race pace all year long! Whatever makes your alternate universe tick Chris..... :drunk:

I actually emailed him and (politely) challenged some of his postions, and his response was to ban me from his message board. Given it's relative lack of traffic and 'rah rah' bent, I dont think i'm the first person whose opinion he's disagreed with that's been eliminated from the Pitpass forum.

Edited by Turbo4, 19 May 2009 - 05:14.

#435 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,031 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:34

I actually emailed him and (politely) challenged some of his postions, and his response was to ban me from his message board. Given it's relative lack of traffic and 'rah rah' bent, I dont think i'm the first person whose opinion he's disagreed with that's been eliminated from the Pitpass forum.

I know someone who was banned from the forum a few years back because they said they wished some of the website photos available were slightly bigger. Nothing aggressive or threatening, just a small remark about their size. Chris Balfe took extreme exception, expressed this to the person and promptly banned them.

#436 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:48

I got a nasty email back labelling me a fanboy, and essentially telling me it was his sandbox and he ran it as he liked. I responded (again, politely) that I wasn't a fanboy in any way but there were (are) considerable inconsistencies in his reportage and for a site that caters for a worldwide audience it's something he should be aware of and address.

His reponse to that was made clear the next time I tried to log in when I found my forum log in privileges had been suspended. My original posts are all still there, but I can't log in to my account, thus i'm sure it looks to Moderators and outsiders like i'm still active... but just not posting. How many other 'active' profiles are in actuality inactive?

Pitpass dont appear to have Paddock media access - never seen a Pitpass-labelled rep ask a question in an Official press conference - so i'm thinking it's probably just a site run out of Chris Balfe's bedroom that's been dressed up as an 'important' site.

He shouldn't be so precious when his opinion is questioned.

Edited by Turbo4, 19 May 2009 - 06:00.

#437 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,031 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:56

Sounds similar to the person I know's case, no warning, just banned. He's 'In Memoriam' here:

http://pitpass.com/f...opic.php?t=2035

I don't recall him saying anything negative about anyone on the Net but came close when he found out his account was suspended too.;)

Edited by Zippel, 19 May 2009 - 05:58.

#438 Felix

Felix

• 706 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:16

I got a nasty email back labelling me a fanboy, and essentially telling me it was his sandbox and he ran it as he liked. I responded (again, politely) that I wasn't a fanboy in any way but there were (are) considerable inconsistencies in his reportage and for a site that caters for a worldwide audience it's something he should be aware of and address.

His reponse to that was made clear the next time I tried to log in when I found my forum log in privileges had been suspended. My original posts are all still there, but I can't log in to my account, thus i'm sure it looks to Moderators and outsiders like i'm still active... but just not posting. How many other 'active' profiles are in actuality inactive?

Pitpass dont appear to have Paddock media access - never seen a Pitpass-labelled rep ask a question in an Official press conference - so i'm thinking it's probably just a site run out of Chris Balfe's bedroom that's been dressed up as an 'important' site.

Wouldn't be surprised if his server was surrounded by so many medicine bottles that he forgets which ones to open when.

#439 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:17

Just read that thread Zippel.... the tone of Chris Balfe's responses say it all. Your friend didn't deserve that.

I wonder ... for a guy that was so concerned that pics were being right clicked off his site... has he never watched a pirated movie? Same diff, except he'd not be the one losing out. ;)

There's 3 Google ads on his front page, and i'm sure given the amount of clicks to Pitpass' main page (not to mention sub-pages) they get per month, Chris Balfe wouldn't be doing too badly at all. As I have some experience in this, i'm thinking $US5k per month bare minimum.

To quote Balfe's spiel in his sponsorship section:

Meanwhile, Pitpass is ranked 5th in Formula Money's 2008 list of the most popular Formula One news websites, the other four leaders each being part of a major broadcasting, publishing or internet group..

Edited by Turbo4, 19 May 2009 - 06:29.

Advertisement

#440 Felix

Felix

• 706 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:22

Wouldn't be surprised if his server was surrounded by so many medicine bottles that he forgets which ones to open when.

#441 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:46

Yes I noticed that and found it funny that the sources he quotes are run by his mate. Conflict of interest much? :lol:

#442 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,082 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:48

Whatever happened to Ocelot? He suddenly disappeared right around the time Brawn emerged, though iirc his last post was the 31st of a particular month.

#443 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:50

Whatever happened to Ocelot? He suddenly disappeared right around the time Brawn emerged, though iirc his last post was the 31st of a particular month.

I presume he was banned, but he may have terminated himself?

#444 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:16

I presume he was banned, but he may have terminated himself?

Nice turn of phrase :lol:

#445 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 13:27

He's back, plugging more of his stories, only this time feigning pigeon english in a desperate attempt to cover up who he is.

#446 rdebourbon

rdebourbon

• 1,353 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 13:38

Seeing as this thread is about the F1 media in general - perhaps a mention of a recent TimesOnline article from Ed Gorman should be made:
http://www.timesonli...icle6313337.ece

When this article appeared last night, the headline was "Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone should go now"... while it has since been re-titled as "Ferarri must play fair or go"... In the haste to retitle it appears they even misspelt Ferrari...

Is there any specific reason that the press do not report negatively on these two characters??

#447 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 13:50

F1 racing mag is doing a fan survey on the state of F1 at the moment

#448 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 13:53

Seeing as this thread is about the F1 media in general - perhaps a mention of a recent TimesOnline article from Ed Gorman should be made:
http://www.timesonli...icle6313337.ece

When this article appeared last night, the headline was "Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone should go now"... while it has since been re-titled as "Ferarri must play fair or go"... In the haste to retitle it appears they even misspelt Ferrari...

Is there any specific reason that the press do not report negatively on these two characters??

probably got threatened with no press pass etc

This is why I want a new FOTA series, the fall from grace of Bernie n Max will be swift and deadly just like that of most dictators that try to control everything with an iron fist.

Its a big shame the press throw away all journalistic integrity because of some pressure from Max or Bernie though.

#449 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,082 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 13:58

You think the teams are going to allow criticism any more than Max and Bernie? The teams have brands to protect, it would probably be worse.

#450 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 14:03

You think the teams are going to allow criticism any more than Max and Bernie? The teams have brands to protect, it would probably be worse.

duh...the teams dont have as much leverage even if they wanted to control the press like Max n Bernie.

the 180 degree turn in the published headline from a major newspaper cant be explained by normal editing procedures. That was appalling. I guess we got the answer to our questions why none of the major media outlets have hardly pointed out the discrepancies, flaws and farce in how F1 is been run. Most persist with simpleton ignoramus articles. You get more information from reading this forum.