Jump to content


Photo

Button in the wet :up:


  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 AnHero

AnHero
  • Member

  • 45 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:08

Anyone watch the Button's onboard while it was raining. He was consistently setting fast laps until the track started drying out. He was blisteringly quick especially through S1. Button just might have another Hungary 2006 on his hands.

Advertisement

#2 wingwalker

wingwalker
  • Member

  • 6,326 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:09

how about Kubica in the wet? That last lap got me sitting on the edge of my seat with my hands on my head.

#3 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,131 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:13

A handful of drivers stood out.

Kubica, Button, Alonso and DC. Those in particular.

#4 airwise

airwise
  • Member

  • 2,001 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:17

Button was taking seconds out of those guys lap after lap.

#5 GNT4ME

GNT4ME
  • Member

  • 185 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:19

That onboard lap of Buttons in the rain just went to show how frightening Monaco in the wet is. What a FAB few we got from on-board camera….wow.
He was the only driver in the 1.30s for quite a few laps.
If it rains like that during Quali – Button should get a good grid position for the race

#6 airwise

airwise
  • Member

  • 2,001 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:23

Two weeks on it's not looking too shabby

#7 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1
  • Member

  • 925 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:24

Originally posted by race addicted
A handful of drivers stood out.

Kubica, Button, Alonso and DC. Those in particular.


DC? I think he is pretty average wet driver. Didn't saw his laptimes though in this session.

#8 kamix

kamix
  • Member

  • 1,238 posts
  • Joined: October 04

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:25

Did the session start dry or something?

#9 Ferrim

Ferrim
  • Member

  • 817 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:27

Yeah, it was dry for the first twenty minutes or so.

#10 AnHero

AnHero
  • Member

  • 45 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:27

Originally posted by kamix
Did the session start dry or something?

It started raining shortly after Kovi crashed.

#11 FlashMaster

FlashMaster
  • Member

  • 1,901 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:28

Originally posted by GiancarloF1


DC? I think he is pretty average wet driver. Didn't saw his laptimes though in this session.


He was..

Times in the rain ( I know )

Alo 1:26.2
Kub 1:26.4
Raik 1:27.0
Massa 1:27.4
DC 1:27.4
Rosb 1:27.6

#12 Hippo

Hippo
  • Member

  • 2,378 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:28

Originally posted by GiancarloF1


DC? I think he is pretty average wet driver. Didn't saw his laptimes though in this session.

He was amongst the 4 drivers who managed to put in a 1:26,x in the rain. Only Alonso, Kubica and Glock did that too.

Alonso 1:26,2
Kubica 1:26,4
Glock 1:26,4
DC 1:26,9

#13 AnHero

AnHero
  • Member

  • 45 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:30

The above times was when it started drying though. When it was fully wet, I don't think anyone came close to Button. Maybe they were on the wrong tires?

#14 HoldenRT

HoldenRT
  • Member

  • 4,873 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:31

Originally posted by GiancarloF1


DC? I think he is pretty average wet driver. Didn't saw his laptimes though in this session.

Then what the f are you talking about then? DC was quick in this session. Fisi was nowhere, in case you were wondering.

DC was good because he did a really long stint, he missed most early running, and did maybe the longest stint out of anyone in the wet conditions. His early laps were very competitive and his final laps at the end of the stint were also very competitive.

#15 HoldenRT

HoldenRT
  • Member

  • 4,873 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:33

People put too much stock into the fastest time though. Alonso wasn't impressive at all in the wet and was slower then Piquet and then did a final fast lap right at the end on the drying track.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 55,894 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:00

Sutil was fastest in the wet last year in a Spyker. Saturday morning practice at Monaco means very little.

#17 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,131 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:07

It's not at all meaningless. Especially when there's a decent chance of the same conditions again in qualifying.
Last year, that wasn't the case, and in addition, Spyker I seem to recall, made a 100% effort (full wet set-up and low fuel) to be top of the times.

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 55,894 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:20

Then lets wait for qualifying and see how it shakes out. And then lets wait for the race to see how it develops.

#19 Dalton007

Dalton007
  • Member

  • 2,808 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:24

Go Button :up:

Did anyone capture his onboard? :D

Advertisement

#20 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,131 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:28

Ross, yeah, simple as that.

#21 AnHero

AnHero
  • Member

  • 45 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:28

Damn FIA don't have the lap times up on their site yet. Was hoping to see how consistent the drivers were.

#22 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:38

Jenson's always awesome in the wet, that's why I wanted it to rain so much this weekend! It might be our only chance of a really good result this season.

#23 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:39

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Then lets wait for qualifying and see how it shakes out. And then lets wait for the race to see how it develops.

Excuse the double post, but LMFAO! :rotfl: :up:

#24 jensfan08

jensfan08
  • New Member

  • 1 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 24 May 2008 - 21:08

Heres a link to a video of Jens driving in the wet in 2nd Practice....

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=WJUvV-F8lqk

Enjoy!!

#25 secessionman

secessionman
  • Member

  • 160 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 24 May 2008 - 21:12

I'm banking on a wet race tomorrow.

Backed Button with a tenner @ 100-1

#26 Dalton007

Dalton007
  • Member

  • 2,808 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 24 May 2008 - 21:34

Originally posted by jensfan08
Heres a link to a video of Jens driving in the wet in 2nd Practice....

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=WJUvV-F8lqk

Enjoy!!


Great stuff. Precision driving at its finest in the wet. :up:

#27 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC
  • Member

  • 577 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 24 May 2008 - 21:36

damn it man.... the more I think about it the more I hate DC. :cry: ****** Hondas weekend. :down:

#28 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:53

Up to 11th now DC's had a new gearbox, but I've got a nasty "first corner incident" feeling in my tummy. :(

#29 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC
  • Member

  • 577 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:22

yeah this year the probability of first corner incident is more than before becaue of no launch control and slipping sliding during first few corners.

I hope Button can get through it in one piece.

#30 HP

HP
  • Member

  • 14,109 posts
  • Joined: October 99

Posted 25 May 2008 - 14:19

Well Rubens did a better job today in the race than Button.

#31 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 35,880 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 25 May 2008 - 14:21

Nothing to do with Button needing more noses than Danniella Westbrook?

#32 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 15:54

Jenson had some really good laps behind Fisi and Glock, but I think I was the only one paying any attention to them. Bad day for all three of my boys. :(

#33 metz

metz
  • Member

  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 25 May 2008 - 16:09

Button took out Heidfeld during the last wet race in Japan.
He did it again today.... :mad:
I'd say JB is the shits in the wet....

#34 cardin

cardin
  • Member

  • 2,065 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 25 May 2008 - 16:15

Originally posted by ensign14
Nothing to do with Button needing more noses than Danniella Westbrook?


Rubens didn't and that's exactly the point.

#35 PassWind

PassWind
  • Member

  • 4,780 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 25 May 2008 - 16:18

Originally posted by TickTickBooom
Jenson had some really good laps behind Fisi and Glock, but I think I was the only one paying any attention to them. Bad day for all three of my boys. :(


I thought I might ask since the Honda Factory has stopped passing off Hand Grenades as engines are you going to change your name, I still fart so I am keeping mine. :p

#36 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 17:15

Originally posted by PassWind


I thought I might ask since the Honda Factory has stopped passing off Hand Grenades as engines are you going to change your name, I still fart so I am keeping mine. :p

zomg! The first person to realise that I am indeed named after exploding Honda engines! Or did I say that somewhere when I first joined? :confused: Anywho, you are right. But what would I change it to?

And back on topic: Jenson does not suck in the wet, it's his best chance in that shit heap Honda built him. He didn't take Heidfeld out, either. They both finished the race.

#37 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,131 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 25 May 2008 - 17:56

.....he wasn't quick in the race today though. He's usually one to watch in the wet on all types of tires. Espcially in the damp on dry tires, he was a let-down I think.

#38 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 18:05

Originally posted by race addicted
.....he wasn't quick in the race today though. He's usually one to watch in the wet on all types of tires. Espcially in the damp on dry tires, he was a let-down I think.

I beg to differ. He was doing top 5 lap times behind Fisi and Glock, but obviously they didn't count for much seeing as he was at the back.

Meh.

#39 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,131 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 25 May 2008 - 18:34

Originally posted by TickTickBooom

I beg to differ. He was doing top 5 lap times behind Fisi and Glock, but obviously they didn't count for much seeing as he was at the back.

Meh.


OK. I payed attention to his pace though, and after his first stop I wrote in the live chat that people should now keep an eye on his speed. But it wasn't all that I think.
It was my impression that it was just "OK" while on inters, and actually dissapointing while on dry's.
Maybe you kept a keener eye on just him though. I may be wrong about this.

Advertisement

#40 Digitaldrug

Digitaldrug
  • Member

  • 287 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 25 May 2008 - 18:39

Originally posted by metz
Button took out Heidfeld during the last wet race in Japan.
He did it again today.... :mad:
I'd say JB is the shits in the wet....



Heidfeld is a slow clumsy fool. Alonso tried to over take him a lap before on the inside and Nick closed the door very late and was just being a hazzard out there. When your that slow in that situation you should drive a little fairer because it just results in what happened one lap later. He did give Button any room either he just drove like no one was around him.

#41 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 18:43

Originally posted by race addicted


OK. I payed attention to his pace though, and after his first stop I wrote in the live chat that people should now keep an eye on his speed. But it wasn't all that I think.
It was my impression that it was just "OK" while on inters, and actually dissapointing while on dry's.
Maybe you kept a keener eye on just him though. I may be wrong about this.

I KNEW you weren't reading my comments in live chat! ;)

I was watching his times and his times exclusively, so yes, I knew what kind of pace he was doing. Because I expected him to be horribly slow on dry's, I was semi-impressed with those times, too. At one point he took 3 seconds out of Glock in one lap. I was proud.

Bloody Heikki. :evil:

#42 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,131 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 25 May 2008 - 18:47

Hmm. OK.

...but I'll still have a look when the laptimes comes up tomorrow. :)

(Not to shoot down your logic, but taking three seconds out of Glock today - not the yardstick of which great wet-wheather drivers will be measured against...)

#43 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 55,894 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 25 May 2008 - 19:04

Nearly everyone did an impressive lap at some stage or the other. I saw Rosberg and Barrichello with fastest lap a few times.

#44 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 19:20

Ross, stop holding an umbrella over my wet race!

Originally posted by race addicted
Hmm. OK.

...but I'll still have a look when the laptimes comes up tomorrow. :)

(Not to shoot down your logic, but taking three seconds out of Glock today - not the yardstick of which great wet-wheather drivers will be measured against...)

Totally agree about Glock, and I've got a horrible feeling when we come to look at the times tomorrow, something might have happened the lap before.

It was a terrible day to be a Jenson/Kimi/Nick fan. You'll have to forgive me for looking for positives wherever I can find them.

#45 Blythy

Blythy
  • Member

  • 960 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 25 May 2008 - 19:23

Originally posted by Digitaldrug



Heidfeld is a slow clumsy fool. Alonso tried to over take him a lap before on the inside and Nick closed the door very late and was just being a hazzard out there. When your that slow in that situation you should drive a little fairer because it just results in what happened one lap later. He did give Button any room either he just drove like no one was around him.


that was alonso's fault, nobody gets away with overtaking at loews, it's stupid, there's one exit line. The only place you can overtake, except on the straights, is the chicane, there's run off for people to run home scared. There's also no reason to let people pass if it's for postion. It's their job to get around you, if there's a mechanical problem that means you're a hazard, you'll get the black and orange flag.

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Member

  • 12,218 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 25 May 2008 - 19:33

Originally posted by Blythy


that was alonso's fault, nobody gets away with overtaking at loews, it's stupid, there's one exit line. The only place you can overtake, except on the straights, is the chicane, there's run off for people to run home scared. There's also no reason to let people pass if it's for postion. It's their job to get around you, if there's a mechanical problem that means you're a hazard, you'll get the black and orange flag.


There was a little overtaking at Mirabeau, but with Heidfeld blocking like a crazy there, Alonso wasn't coming through. If you block, the least you can expect is for the faster guy behind to run in the back of you IMO.

#47 pippin

pippin
  • Member

  • 741 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 25 May 2008 - 19:47

Way as I see it, Button tried to overtake 1 car too many on the first lap. This did enough damage to compromise his whole race after that. At one point his pace was very good on inters but it was really hard to tell because he was being held up by Glock for much of the first stint of the race. I did notice when he dropped back a few seconds whilst allowing the leaders to pass, his pace shortly after was much much faster. Having said that only a few drivers didn't make any mistakes at all today and two world champs made worse ones than him.

#48 Dalton007

Dalton007
  • Member

  • 2,808 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 25 May 2008 - 20:18

Bad race by JB. He's had some disappointing wet races of late. On the first lap he was very quick, but then Heidfeld was just S-L-O-W. Jenson got caught out, misjudged the speed. His bargeboard was damaged too. RB drove a great race. I think JB's having too many incidents this year.

#49 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom
  • Member

  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 20:33

"He's had some disappointing wet races of late."

There is so much wrong with that sentence that I don't even know where to start.

#50 Dalton007

Dalton007
  • Member

  • 2,808 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 25 May 2008 - 20:42

"..as of late" refers to last year as well. Out of the four wet races, he's delivered only in China.