• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:54

As of today my new website is online at:

www.wegcircuits.nl

Please note the website is meant to be viewed at 1024 x 768 pixels.

The website forms a database of Dutch road courses that were used for motorcycle racing in the past - and in three cases are still used today. The database contains 84 circuits in total, including two in Belgium. Some are a bit dull, many are rather adventurous, and a few are just plain crazy.

There are track maps available for many circuits, and some also have a photo-lap. There are some extra features as well including a list of circuits used for classic meetings.

Although the site has been written nearly entirely in Dutch, the basics should be fairly self-evident, and there is also a guide in English.

I hope you enjoy browsing through this bit of motorsport history.

Advertisement

#2 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:14

Really, really nice! Well done, Rob, especially since keeping record isn't one of Holland's strong points, and that's saying it mildly...

#3 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:22

Great effort by Rob...some interesting reading. I'm sure the Dutch chaps will add and contribute to this website. Look at the nice circuits at Kerkrade and Gulpen!

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:45

Nice effort! Brings back memories of the days when (motorcycle) road races were still the order of the day, even on the continent: Hengelo, Raalte, Schwanenstadt, Sint Joris, Schleiz... Though be it admitted that many of those circuits were not really sanitary! :eek:

#5 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 17:39

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. :up:

#6 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 19:00

Excellent Rob. Have bookmarked it and about to tell 'er indoors that next years summer holiday will be in
Holland ;)

#7 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 21:39

A great effort, Rob! Good to see De Varsselring, my 'homecircuit' there. My memories include trashing around my 70cc Suzuki TS there, and spinning my father's Nissan Sunny into the cornfields, only an hour after getting my drivinglicense.

#8 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 22:08

Great stuff, Rob - congratulations ! I was especially impressed with the incredible amount of circuits in South Limburg, just a couple of kilometers across the border from where I live. I reckon I have to put together a some sightseeing tours over the next couple of weekends ...

However, it has been the airfield circuit in Beek that put a big grin on my face - not because it is particularly impressive but because I have worked in Beek some 13 years of my business life !

#9 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:20

Just goes to show motor racing history is everywhere...even if you don't realize it! :)

#10 GPLEagle

GPLEagle

• 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:38

Hi Rob, great site, enjoyed reading it. Are you intereted in (road) karting as well? There was a one off race in Panninen, Limburg, pretty sure it was 1982. Let me know if you want any info (don't have much, but I recall the layout).

#11 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:32

Oh boy, will this make Darren Galpin's day!

#12 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:10

:) Well done Rob!

#13 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:36

Originally posted by GPLEagle
Are you intereted in (road) karting as well? There was a one off race in Panninen, Limburg, pretty sure it was 1982. Let me know if you want any info (don't have much, but I recall the layout).

Rob: great effort. :up: :up: :up:

Current outdoor tracks are listed here:
http://www.karting.n...or_kartbaan.php

Classic competition tracks are Driebergen, Strijen and Uitgeest. This list includes also the more recreational tracks.

#14 Leo

Leo

• 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:30

Classic Demo Races for pre-1970 bikes are contested this year on several street circuits (including my hometown Veenendaal). This is the calender + track maps etc:
http://www.classicra...oeninfo2008.pdf

I visited the Open Dutch Championship races at the Varsselring (for the first time) one and a half week ago and I have to say it is a pretty impressive track: very fast and narrow. Good races also, so I enjoyed the visit.

Excellent website, Rob!

#15 GPLEagle

GPLEagle

• 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 15:45

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos

Rob: great effort. :up: :up: :up:

Current outdoor tracks are listed here:
http://www.karting.n...or_kartbaan.php

Classic competition tracks are Driebergen, Strijen and Uitgeest. This list includes also the more recreational tracks.

Thanks Arjan. Sorry, I didn't spell correct - Panningen. The track was not a proper track, but a series of roads through the village. Not particularly challenging, but entertaining to watch anyway.

#16 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 23:37

The new and vastly expanded version of my website www.wegcircuits.nl is now online. It features over 150 motorcycle road circuits in the Netherlands and Belgium and much more.

Please note the website is best viewed at 1024 x 768 pixels.

#17 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:22

Terrific stuff, Rob. :up: