Photo

Grand Prix du Canada 2008 - post race comments

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:40

Big congrats to Robert Kubica and BMW - their first win, and even better, they get a 1-2! A storming drive from the pole, again comfortably faster than his team-mate all weekend.
We have a new championship leader....

-DC finally opens up his points account with a fantastic third! One stopping he kept up the pace and consistency and actually reeled in Heidfeld for a while.
Webber surprisingly went for two stops.

-The Toyota's hasn't looked quick all weekend, but they performed well in the race, and Glock - slightly quicker than Trulli - did the longest stint of all, 43 laps before he made his only stop. A good points harvest for Toyota with Glock a fine fourth and Trulli sixth.

-All things considered, a bad weekend for Ferrari. Räikkönen took a while to find the rythm, perhaps it was graining, but when things clicked he was fastest on track. But then that incident took place....
Massa survives to rack up four very important points.

-Honda didn't expect much this weekend, but Barrichello finishes seventh. Two bonus points even if it could have been much more.

-Vettel secures the final point, and what a hard earned point that was. Well done!

-Kovalainen never seemed to find the pace this weekend. A qualifying session and a race performance to forget.
Hamilton led easily in the early part of the race, but then performed an incredibly clumsy mistake, clubbering up Räikkönen's diffuser when he waited together with Kubica for the green light to switch on in the pit exit.

-No points for Williams, a huge dissapointment considering Rosberg's grid position and that Nakajima looked well set in his first stint.

-Sutil looked like he savoured some confidence gathered in Monaco, 'cause he was quicker than Fisichella this weekend. Both cars retired though, Fisichella finally spinning off after a couple of hairy moments.

-...and no points for Renault either. Piquet raced hard and well, but it wasn't to be. Both him and Alonso spun off.

Please continue, discuss and share your views and verdicts!

Advertisement

#2 Bob Nomates

Bob Nomates

• 3,921 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:42

Glad Kubica won. He deserves it

#3 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,216 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:42

Originally posted by race addicted
Big congrats to Kubica and BMW - their first win, and even better, they get a 1-2!

DC finally off the mark - a sensational third!

Hear, hear :up:

#4 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:43

Too bad brainfaded goldenboy smashed Kimi's car and race. A little less ego could help him much.

Great race from Felipe, he really was on fire.

BMW: well deserved, long awaited win! And a 1-2! Superb for them.

#5 Texas

Texas

• 428 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:44

Kovaleinen :down: :down: :down: :down: Car was fast, He wasn't
Hamilton :down: :down: :down: :down: He was too fast apparently
Kubica :up: :up: :up:
Heidfeld :up: lucky
Coulthard :up: lucky
Massa :up: Agrresive :up: Qualifying

exciting race, I just wish they didn't have to pull a safety car out or 6 laps every time a car stalls near the track.

#6 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Congrats to Kubica. :clap:

What a difference a year makes. Same track but a year ago we were hoping he was alive, this year first win and leads the championship!! :up:

Congrats to BMW/Sauber! :up:

DC - life in the old dog yet :smoking:

Shame for Kimi - he was very fast this weekend and looked to have a likely win. Loses out badly WDC wise through no fault of his own.

#7 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Great race for Kubica, a win was due to come his way! :up:

Good showing of BMW. :up: :up:

#8 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Congrats to Kubica and BMW! :clap:

Fairly inexcusable error from Lewis. :down:

Disappointing from Heikki. Did he have a specific problem, or just slow?

A good race result for Toyota. :up:

A begrudging congrats to DC ;)

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:45

Fantastic for BMW, and a win for Sauber as well, it's been a while coming.

Thank God the show car rules are changing. Funny, isn't it? LH leads handily, car goes off, SC comes out. LH is no longer in the race for *ahem* contact, two other cars go off in odd positions, in one a crane has to reverse against track direction, no safety car. Hmm.

Coulthard on the podium! lol And points for Rubinho.

#10 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Thats two races in a row where that slow and useless German has ruined Alonso's race. Hes only good for blocking cars that he should be faster than. Without that Alonso would have been second and maybe pushed Kubica for the win. At least Alonso didnt give in and tried to attack, as he lost nothing because he wouldnt have gotten a point being stuck behind. Heidfeld the useless prick.

It was at least good to see Hamilton throw away a win like that after yesterday boasting how good he was.

#11 Hotwheels

Hotwheels

• 2,851 posts

Yeah DC - :clap: :clap: :clap:

#12 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,610 posts

FANTASTIC result by BMW, and congrats to BMW.

Fine result to DC for a podium finish.

Gread race by Glock also.

Good job by Massa, recovering from a botched pit, nice work coming back up through the field.

Despite the idiotic pit lane incident it was quite an exciting race, wish I had gone.

Ferrari still hold onto the point lead and BMW close behind with McLaren a distant third.

Kubica now ON TOP!!!! with Massa and the punter right behind.

#13 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:46

Hamilton - ****. I think Kimi was really well placed for the win there.
DC :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kubica :up: :up: :up: Really deserved win.

#14 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:46

Kubica - definite star
BMW - great 1-2
DC - great drive

Move of the day - Massa at the hair pin

Hamilton - stupid move, needs to be penalised.

Where I live in the UK, I'm surrounded by Poles, and they're not exactly what you'd call quiet neighbours :)
sounds like there's a party starting out there, reckon I can get invited if I lean out the window and shout "Kubica rules"? (what's Polish for Kubica rules?)
:)

#15 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:47

Great job, Kubica, Heidfeld & BMW! Also, nice to see DC on the podium.

#16 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Kubica :up: :up: :up:

So far, Driver of the Year - and also WDC leader!!! Great stuff.

Heidfeld :up:

Solid as ever. But overshadowed by Kubi. Not good for his career...

Coulthard :up: :up:

Not necessarily the fastest out there. But sometimes experience pays off!

Massa :up:

Outpaced by Räikkönen. However, in the end fought well and salvaged "free points".

Toyotas good stuff, but that Glock-Trulli-Massa thingy wasn´t exactly team play :D

Barrichello, Vettel :up: Good. Vettel´s defensive batttle vs Kovalainen was nice to see.

Hamilton :down: :down: :down:

What can I say? Massa had his Malaysia, Räikkönen had his Monaco. Hamilton had his Canada ;)

#17 pasadena

pasadena

• 254 posts

It was really a tough luck for KR but I'm sooooo glad that all the big players stumbled and that RK and DMW showed those overpaid and overbudgeted "front runners" how it should be done!

RK - points leader after almost half a season in the 3rd best car!!!!!!! The fastest and dare I say best driver of the moment.
Congratulations to DC as well and FM on good oportunistic passes.

#18 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:48

:down: for the organizers, btw. Polish flag the wrong way around on the podium.

Didn't know the Swiss used the German anthem.

#19 Daniel Lester

Daniel Lester

• 2,107 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:50

BMW is German...

Nice for all the ex-sauber people.

DC will be right at home on the podium with the german national anthem playing :p

Advertisement

#20 RiDE

RiDE

• 1,027 posts

BMW 1-2 :smoking:

#21 Chris G.

Chris G.

• 6,585 posts

What a race. :up: :up: :up: :up:

#22 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,610 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:51

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi
Hamilton - ****. I think Kimi was really well placed for the win there.
DC :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kubica :up: :up: :up: Really deserved win.

Ummm your first and third comment don't add up, LOL.

#23 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:51

Originally posted by ensign14
:down: for the organizers, btw. Polish flag the wrong way around on the podium.

Didn't know the Swiss used the German anthem.

I guess who pays the bill has the anthem.

#24 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:52

Congrats Kubica! :up:

Kimi would have definaely challenged for the victory, but I can't help but feel happy for Kubica and BMW.

That was definately a true brainfade from Hamilton, and I don't like the way he is not accepting fault for it. :rolleyes:

Mixed feelings definately from this race. Congrats to DC, this could be the last time we see him on the podium! :up:

The WDC table looks ineresting now, with Kubica in the lead and Hamilton and Massa tied for second. I wonder if Hamilon will get a grid penalty or just a fine?

#25 Bob Nomates

Bob Nomates

• 3,921 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:52

Don't think Hamilton's mind is on the job at the moment he keeps making mistakes, he was lucky in the last race but it ran out this time.

Just hope Kubica can keep the pressure on until the end.

#26 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:53

Im quite disappointed in BMW's race management. Heidfel lets Kubica pass for strategy reasons and they let him win the race. Had he just blocked Kubica he'd have won. If I was Heidfeld Id be pissed now.

#27 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Oh and this was the first time I got full HD coverage for an F1 race. Thank you FOX! :clap:

#28 bobqzzi

bobqzzi

• 360 posts

Congratulations to Kubica and Heidfeld- they didn't put a foot wrong all race and took a well deserved 1-2.

DC- well done!

Should be an interesting conversation in the Toyota motorhome, but I'm sure they are very happy to finsh as they did.

Hamilton- stuff happens is really the only thing to say. Expensive mistake for a championship contender. Shame for Kimi, he may have won the race.

Massa- well driven but he is once again handicapped by the incredilbly poor pitwork and strategy from Ferrari. The fueling screw-up was bad enough, but then not fueling him until the end when he cam back in was inexcusable. He wasn;t going to win this race, but 3rd (and possibly 2nd) should have been his.

#29 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:54

What a race! :eek:

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: for Kubica and Nick and BMW. Heidfeld was very, very sporting letting Kubica through for the team's interest and by that losing it for himself.

:up: :up: for DC and the Toyotas.

:up: :up: for Massa also. What an overtaking against Barrichello and Kovalainen! :eek: My heart bleeding for him a little, because he could have won this, or at least be on the podium but what was Ferrari thinking when they didn't refuel him at the first pitstop? Anyway, with Kimi and Hami retiring it's still a good result for him and now he is joint 2nd in the WDC with Hami.

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: for Lewis. What a stupid thing to do! After his boasting comments yesterday now he looks like a complete idiot.

Poor Kimi was a victim of him. At least Hamilton appologized so a little :up: to him for that.

Renault threw away a big chance today with both drivers.

#30 giddyup409

giddyup409

• 2,500 posts

couple of key points in the race for the 1 stoppers heidfeld and dc was:
1) after the safety car heidfeld and dc were able to pull away from kubica and alonso that were stuck behind toyotas and vetel
2) heidfeld kept alonso in check behind until fred lost patience and control.

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Poor from Hamilton, no problem with the mistake as everyone makes them and I can fully understand how easy it is to make that error witht he red mist but jesus, own up son. Just admit you forgot about it.

#32 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:55

Its a sweet first victory at the race that could have cost his life last year, great job to gap Nick for the win :up: :up: :up:

Can Poland make it 2-0 over Ze Germans by beating them in the football? (on now).

#33 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:56

Kubica is the only one who deserved the title. Hamm,Kimi and Massa 3 muppets who make very often mistakes. Hamm was losing ground to Kubica and Kimi until SC, probably with his driving style finished his tyres. Kimi he deserved what Hamm did to him after what he did to Sutil, (FA and NR was on the same fuel strategy with him, so poor qualifying). And Massa apart for that overtake was nowere on the pace,

Well done Kubica, Haidfeld took second but no honor and he ruined Alonso race again. DC well done too.

#34 Rabbit123

Rabbit123

• 255 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:56

I am really happy for Toro Rosso, this is the third time they've finished in the points this year. I will continue to give them my full support, well done! :)

#35 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:57

Originally posted by nada12
Im quite disappointed in BMW's race management. Heidfel lets Kubica pass for strategy reasons and they let him win the race. Had he just blocked Kubica he'd have won. If I was Heidfeld Id be pissed now.

You are kidding surely? This allowed the team to be covered if another SC came out and they were right to do it. Heidfeld didn't deserve it anyway.

#36 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:57

Kubica was gifted that win by Heidfeld. Heidfeld was very kind in letting him through.

Vettel outpaced and pointed Bourdais again.

DC, brilliant, really happy for him.

Alonso rescued Piquet again, Alonso not driving all that well this season...

Whihc leads on to Hammi, can't blame him too much, he also seems to be doing okay without Alonso too.

#37 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:58

Originally posted by gaston_foix
Kubica is the only one who deserved the title. Hamm,Kimi and Massa 3 muppets who make very often mistakes. Hamm was losing ground to Kubica and Kimi until SC, probably with his driving style finished his tyres. Kimi he deserved what Hamm did to him after what he did to Sutil, (FA and NR was on the same fuel strategy with him, so poor qualifying). And Massa apart for that overtake was nowere on the pace,

Well done Kubica, Haidfeld took second but no honor and he ruined Alonso race again. DC well done too.

Heidfeld ruined Alonso's race? :rotfl:

#38 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

FOX race coverage sucks.

Does anyone have a link to the recorded post-race interview? I can't believe they cut that off!!!

#39 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Originally posted by gaston_foix

Welcome to the forum! :drunk:

Advertisement

#40 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:59

Originally posted by Alfisti

You are kidding surely? This allowed the team to be covered if another SC came out and they were right to do it. Heidfeld didn't deserve it anyway.

They were right to do it as otherwise Kubica would have found it difficult getting onto the podium. Still not nice for Nick and it might have been good for them to hold Kubica in the pits for a second or two to make sure Nick got the win.

#41 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:00

Originally posted by Galko877

Heidfeld ruined Alonso's race? :rotfl:

I guess you didnt watch the race?

#42 SuperDaan

SuperDaan

• 343 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:01

Originally posted by blackgerby

Where I live in the UK, I'm surrounded by Poles, and they're not exactly what you'd call quiet neighbours :)
sounds like there's a party starting out there, reckon I can get invited if I lean out the window and shout "Kubica rules"? (what's Polish for Kubica rules?)
:)

wait until the soccer match is finished, germany vs Polen, when they win big party for sure :)

#43 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Originally posted by schuey100
They were right to do it as otherwise Kubica would have found it difficult getting onto the podium. Still not nice for Nick and it might have been good for them to hold Kubica in the pits for a second or two to make sure Nick got the win.

Nick has been hammered all season, Kubica deserved it.

#44 Coral

Coral

• 6,682 posts

Well done Robert Kubica! He has been knocking on the door for so long and now he has done it! I'm delighted for him. Poor race for Lewis hamilton...what was he thinking?! It's nice to see someone winning a Grand Prix who is not driving a Mclaren or Ferrari.

#45 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

I also think Heidfeld was very kind to Kubi today. He was sacrificing his own possible win for a safe BMW 1-2. What a teamplayer! Alone for that he would have deserved to win it IMO! But Kubica deserves it too as he was the quicker once again. But Nick could have won it, if he hadn't sacrificed his own race for the team result.

#46 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:02

Nick had no pace compared to Kubica, RK deserved to win.

#47 Torch

Torch

• 254 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:02

Hamilton :down: He must have been looking at something else rather than where he was going - it doesn;t take long for an F1 car to stop from those speeds and there was a significant gap :confused:

ALonso - unforced error again :down:

Massa - made the most of the opportunities that came to him :up:

KR - hard to judge

Kubica :up: Good to see him eget his first win
Heidfeld - good performance from a non-optimal strategy :up:

DC :up: :D

Originally posted by Blueray
Thats two races in a row where that slow and useless German has ruined Alonso's race. Hes only good for blocking cars that he should be faster than. Without that Alonso would have been second and maybe pushed Kubica for the win. At least Alonso didnt give in and tried to attack, as he lost nothing because he wouldnt have gotten a point being stuck behind. Heidfeld the useless prick.

It was at least good to see Hamilton throw away a win like that after yesterday boasting how good he was.

Calling someone a useless prick is going to get you banned (again).

Alonso spun on his own - his fault. Many other drivers manage to stay on the track when they are held up :confused: SOmetimes they even manage to pass a slower car :p

#48 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:03

Originally posted by Blueray

I guess you didnt watch the race?

I did. What should Heidfeld have done? Let Alonso through? Funny that Alonso fans always expect that from other drivers. I thought they were racing! Alonso ruined his own race.

#49 charliehayes

charliehayes

• 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:03

Shows to go ya - even an incredibly gifted driver like Lewsi can have a brain-fade moment. Too bad. But imagine how Kimi feels! Innocent collateral damage ... :

Originally posted by race addicted
Big congrats to Robert Kubica and BMW - their first win, and even better, they get a 1-2! A storming drive from the pole, again comfortably faster than his team-mate all weekend.
We have a new championship leader....

-DC finally opens up his points account with a fantastic third! One stopping he kept up the pace and consistency and actually reeled in Heidfeld for a while.
Webber surprisingly went for two stops.

-The Toyota's hasn't looked quick all weekend, but they performed well in the race, and Glock - slightly quicker than Trulli - did the longest stint of all, 43 laps before he made his only stop. A good points harvest for Toyota with Glock a fine fourth and Trulli sixth.

-All things considered, a bad weekend for Ferrari. Räikkönen took a while to find the rythm, perhaps it was graining, but when things clicked he was fastest on track. But then that incident took place....
Massa survives to rack up four very important points.

-Honda didn't expect much this weekend, but Barrichello finishes seventh. Two bonus points even if it could have been much more.

-Vettel secures the final point, and what a hard earned point that was. Well done!

-Kovalainen never seemed to find the pace this weekend. A qualifying session and a race performance to forget.
Hamilton led easily in the early part of the race, but then performed an incredibly clumsy mistake, clubbering up Räikkönen's diffuser when he waited together with Kubica for the green light to switch on in the pit exit.

-No points for Williams, a huge dissapointment considering Rosberg's grid position and that Nakajima looked well set in his first stint.

-Sutil looked like he savoured some confidence gathered in Monaco, 'cause he was quicker than Fisichella this weekend. Both cars retired though, Fisichella finally spinning off after a couple of hairy moments.

-...and no points for Renault either. Piquet raced hard and well, but it wasn't to be. Both him and Alonso spun off.

Please continue, discuss and share your views and verdicts!

#50 Umpire

Umpire

• 804 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:04

That double overtaking manoeuvre from Massa was absolutely beautiful.

Interesting race, Hamilton made a mistake but these things happen, Raikkonen could have won and Massa got screwed up at the pitstop but raced well.

Solid stuff from Kubica and DC, Barrichello and Heidfeld fell victims of the softer tyre..