Photo

Is there any rule about reversing in the pit lane?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:13

I noticed that Rosberg reversed in the pitlane after the collision in this video from the Lewis-Kimi thread.

Edit: I save the video on rapidshare so that you can download it. It happened at 00:52

Advertisement

#2 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,323 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:13

Originally posted by alg7_munif
I noticed that Rosberg reversed in the pitlane after the collision in this video from the Lewis-Kimi thread.

Yes there is, your not allowed to.

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:18

yeah your not allowed, but it was only 1-2metres, so i doubt they will do anything

#4 Ursus

Ursus

• 2,411 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:34

There used to be a rule against reversing under you own power. However I just looked through the sporting regs and I can't seem to find it. Maybe it's not in there anymore?

#5 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 20:26

Wasn't Mansell hit by this one year?

#6 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 20:28

I know for sure that Lauda was disqualified once for reversing in the pitlane - maybe in Hockenheim 83.

#7 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 20:33

It was after an accident, what do you expect?

Bad thread. :down: :down: ):

#8 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 20:37

good thread

we asked the same question during the race.

doesn't matter if it was after the accident, or 10cm or 10m - I thought it wasn't allowed. We were surprised he wasn't Dq'd

#9 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 21:55

Sadly the video is gone...

#10 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 22:00

more to the point, what about the car which reversed across the track in a blind corner? I can't remember who that was, but that can't be safe?

#11 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 22:11

Originally posted by blackgerby
more to the point, what about the car which reversed across the track in a blind corner? I can't remember who that was, but that can't be safe?

Piquet spun, reversed back across. Massa went past after he'd stopped reversing.

Did Rosberg reverse back then? Didn't notice it myself :(

#12 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 22:27

Originally posted by F575 GTC

Piquet spun, reversed back across. Massa went past after he'd stopped reversing.

Did Rosberg reverse back then? Didn't notice it myself :(

Yes at 00:52

Quick before they remove that again.

Edit: I save the video on rapidshare so that you can download it.

#13 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 23:00

"30.8 At no time may a car be reversed in the pit lane under its own power."

So it's against the rules indeed. It was a tiny reverse but a reverse under it's own power it was.

#14 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 00:46

Originally posted by Peter Perfect
Wasn't Mansell hit by this one year?

Estoril 89.

and, as you may know, having been black-flagged, he continued on to take out Senna.

#15 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 00:56

Originally posted by alg7_munif

Yes at 00:52

:up: Cheers, hadn't noticed it.

#16 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:05

On one hand I don't think it's a big deal, it was admissible as an accident avoidance maneuver.

OTOH what if a marshall was trotting up to assist and happened to be behind Rosberg when he reversed?

He shoulda been DQ'd for sure--he committed TWO DQ-able offences in the space of 20 seconds. Take your pick as to which to punish for.

#17 Seebar

Seebar

• 151 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:00

about the 2:50 mark.

As Rosberg put it "not very advisable". But I couldn't see whether it was Warwick or Tambay.

#18 SuperDaan

SuperDaan

• 343 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:10

Conspiracy theory:

Pitstops from Kimi,Massa and Lewis during safety car when pits is open, but light at the end is closed.
Kimi is P1, Lewis P2, and Massa P3.

Kimi stops, drives away, red light and waits
Lewis stops, drives away and joins Kimi at the red light, BEHIND him, not next to him.
After a few seconds, just like yesterday. The light turns green, but Kimi waits and Lewis cant pass him because he is to close on he's rear.
As shown in this topic reversing in the pitlane aint allowed
Meanwhile Massa pits after waiting in line after Kimi, drives away, and drives pass Lewis and Kimi.
Kimi also starts driving and we have a 1-2 Ferrari.

Only part I dont know if its allowed is the part that Kimi is standing still in the pitlane with the green light.

Share ideas please.

#19 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:19

Originally posted by SuperDaan

Only part I dont know if its allowed is the part that Kimi is standing still in the pitlane with the green light.

I imagine they would be punished under this rule:

"40.7 Any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other
drivers at any time whilst the safety car is deployed will be reported to the stewards. This will apply
whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane."

Kimi could perhaps argue he had a gear selection issue with his car. I imagine the logic suggests when you park behind someone, you should leave a small gap so you can drive around the car if it stalls.

Advertisement

#20 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:28

Originally posted by pRy

I imagine they would be punished under this rule:

"40.7 Any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other
drivers at any time whilst the safety car is deployed will be reported to the stewards. This will apply
whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane."

Kimi could perhaps argue he had a gear selection issue with his car. I imagine the logic suggests when you park behind someone, you should leave a small gap so you can drive around the car if it stalls.

Surely Massa should have been punished under that rule anyway ? or under 40.10.

40.10 The safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him.
Once behind the safety car, the race leader must keep within ten car lengths of it (except under 40.13
below) and all remaining cars must keep the formation as tight as possible.

He was more than 10 car lengths behind Rosberg when he entered the pits, so that he wasn't delayed when Kimi stopped before him, This is exactly what the 10 lengths rule was designed to prohibit after one of the McLarens did the same thing at Spa a few years ago.

#21 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 22:13

So did Rosberg break a rule but FIA turned a blind eye on it or he didn't do anything wrong?

#22 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 22:20

It was Piquet. Yes, it wasn't safe, but neither was staying where he was. Btw, if you look at the replay, Massa is nearly loosing it because of Piquet maneuver. If Massa had hit the wall, Piquet would had been in serious troubles.

#23 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 23:34

i doubt hitting another guy up the back in the pitland is a DQ offence,also in terms of the reversing in the pitlane thing,he finished out of the points and got a penalty for the next race anyway,so wudnt have made ne difference to his race,he cudve easily ended up retirin in the same incident neway

#24 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 00:06

Originally posted by Seebär

As Rosberg put it "not very advisable". But I couldn't see whether it was Warwick or Tambay.

too funny, I remember that one. it was Tambay. Alan Jones happened to have been doing the broadcast for CBS, and he was pretty alarmed himself.

#25 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 00:13

Originally posted by SuperDaan
Conspiracy theory:

Pitstops from Kimi,Massa and Lewis during safety car when pits is open, but light at the end is closed.
Kimi is P1, Lewis P2, and Massa P3.

Kimi stops, drives away, red light and waits
Lewis stops, drives away and joins Kimi at the red light, BEHIND him, not next to him.
After a few seconds, just like yesterday. The light turns green, but Kimi waits and Lewis cant pass him because he is to close on he's rear.
As shown in this topic reversing in the pitlane aint allowed
Meanwhile Massa pits after waiting in line after Kimi, drives away, and drives pass Lewis and Kimi.
Kimi also starts driving and we have a 1-2 Ferrari.

Share ideas please.

Proves what a idiotic dumb-ass Lewis is :rotfl:

#26 ajcrean

ajcrean

• 694 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 00:41

Originally posted by Ursus
There used to be a rule against reversing under you own power. However I just looked through the sporting regs and I can't seem to find it. Maybe it's not in there anymore?

It is: Article 30.8 of the 2008 Formula One Sporting Regulations:
- At no time may a car be reversed in the pit lane under its own power.

#27 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 18:04

Originally posted by stevvy1986
i doubt hitting another guy up the back in the pitland is a DQ offence,also in terms of the reversing in the pitlane thing,he finished out of the points and got a penalty for the next race anyway,so wudnt have made ne difference to his race,he cudve easily ended up retirin in the same incident neway

Is there any difference between finishing the race without any point and not finishing the race at all?

#28 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:54

Originally posted by Seebär

Beautiful. I love that commentary. I love hearing the actual driver giving a commentary. Great. Thanks.