Photo

Does BMW need Alonso?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Does BMW need Alonso? (211 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes (50 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

2. No (160 votes [76.19%])

Percentage of vote: 76.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:31

Watching Q-Bitza's performance this year I think this is a very valid question. Am very interested to see the results of this poll.

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:34

Alonso probably needs BMW more than the other way round.

#3 CrazyJ

CrazyJ

• 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:40

Need, No. But having him would help.

#4 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:19

FA and BMW would be a good match. In fact, it sounds much better than FA & Ferrari. NH could in all probability be on the way out and FA would be a fantastic replacement. Now that BMW has proved emphatically that they have the wherewithal to compete at the sharp end of the grid and keep up with the pace of development (which Renault seems to lack at the moment & was something that FA commented upon even in 2005 & 2006), FA would find himself in a competitive car and can hope to get back to his WDC.

#5 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:29

I believe Robert has done the best job among all drivers so far this season, so they already have a top driver and nick has proved to be very fast, there's no doubt in my mind that if he overcomes his problems, he will also do a great job and he'a a good developper, so alonso is not needed, or at least he needs bmw more than bmw needs him.

#6 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:40

like a hole in the head

#7 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:44

I like Alonso, but no they don't NEED him, he might be useful, and if they were able to sign him they should.

#8 andysaint

andysaint

• 523 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:50

I think BMW have a very balanced and good driver line up at the moment. In Kubica you have the raw speed and talent plus he's now bringing the car home regulary in good points finishes. In Heidfeld you have someone who's been with the team for years. He brings stability, he knows the car, the factory, the team and is a good driver techincally and is guaranteed to bring points home though probably lacks the finishing touch to consistently compete at the front. Both are great drivers to take BMW and in my view the situation will only need reviewing in about 2010.

#9 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:57

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
Watching Q-Bitza's performance this year I think this is a very valid question. Am very interested to see the results of this poll.

Why would they need him?...NH already has a contract, and on current form there is no reason to replace RK with anybody.

#10 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:13

Why should you look for any other driver if you have the best one in your team? And that's the opinion of the driver you potentially are looking to sign :)

#11 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:14

Originally posted by le chat noir
like a hole in the head

QFT. :lol:

They appear to have a near perfect line already, as Canada demonstrated: Heidfeld letting Kubica through - allowing both to maximise their strategies by running in clear air - showed how well the team is working. A well deserved 1-2, now they just need to find that extra bit so they can challenge Ferrari and McLaren on outright pace. Provided the team can keep hold of Kubica I think the line-up will remain stable until another very fast team player looks a better candidate than Heidfeld (I guess Vettel is being monitored very closely).

#12 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:27

If Hamilton is the fastest driver in F1, I personally believe Alonso is the 'best' all rounder. There will be a lot of teams coming in for him, and rightly so.

As a fan, I love watching Alonso race, he really goes for it.

Heidfeld is making Kubica look like Senna right now... I think Alonso would beat Kubica over a season, and probably fairly easily. so yeah I think BMW should go get him if they can ;)

#13 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:31

Originally posted by BuzzingHornet
If Hamilton is the fastest driver in F1, I personally believe Alonso is the 'best' all rounder. There will be a lot of teams coming in for him, and rightly so.

Heidfeld is making Kubica look like Senna right now... I think Alonso would beat Kubica over a season, and probably fairly easily. so yeah I think BMW should go get him if they can ;)

I suspect BMW want Kubica first, if they can't get him and he clears off to Ferrari then BMW would be delighted to employ Alonso. But the events of 2007 tell us Alonso would demand 'number one' status I suspect. That may not sit well with Dr T.

#14 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:33

Yeah you are probably right Owen... Kubica is a rising star and at this time in his career, the last thing he needs is having to play 2nd fiddle.

Its really difficult to run a 2 car team these days, there are no 'wallies' to stick in the 2nd seat who are happy to truck around and make up the numbers.

#15 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 13:35

every single team need alonso, wherever he goes the team improve that year

#16 pedrovski

pedrovski

• 576 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 13:42

I think the question should be " Do Ferrari or mcLaren need Alonso?" seeing as they're been beaten by a slower car. Kubica is progressing with the team whereas NH isn't. What's to say Kubica's not going to be another Alonso?

#17 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:13

Originally posted by BuzzingHornet

Personally, I think the evidence points towards RK being extremely good rather than NH being poor. That being the case I can't imagine why one would conclude that Fred would beat RK "fairly easily".

#18 Firebug

Firebug

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:20

I think BMW have the best driver pairing on the grid out of all the teams, so I'd say no BWM don't need Alonso at the moment. Would Alonso like to go to BMW? I'm sure he would ;)

#19 Dilan

Dilan

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:31

How long is NH signed on for?

Advertisement

#20 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:33

Does any team need a brooding, conspiracy-minded ego maniac?

#21 metz

metz

• 15,856 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:37

Nick, time and again, has proven that he can PASS and DEFEND against Alonso on tack.

I agree that Dr.T has the best driver pairing while still having the 3rd best car.
They have different but complimenting driving styles. One is immediately fast and drives agressively while the other is smooth and consistent. Neither makes mistakes. Awsome pair :up:

#22 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:42

HELL no - Alonso is the last thing they need. They need stability, sensibility and continuity - they've got that with the great drivers they've got already.

Doug

#23 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:47

Originally posted by djellison
HELL no - Alonso is the last thing they need. They need stability, sensibility and continuity - they've got that with the great drivers they've got already.

Doug

Agreed, and even if he did join them where would Heidfeld and Kubica go? There's no way Alonso would want them in the same team as him.

#24 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:49

No. They need a younger driver with long-time prospects to grow up with the team .

#25 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:50

Originally posted by Villes Gilleneuve
Does any team need a brooding, conspiracy-minded ego maniac?

not talking about hamilton mate, it's all about alonso

#26 metz

metz

• 15,856 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:57

Originally posted by Dragonfly
No. They need a younger driver with long-time prospects to grow up with the team .

They got one.

One would think a developing team would need an experienced driver to help.
And they also have one of those.

#27 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 14:57

No. They've got the perfect drivers right now.

#28 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 15:23

Originally posted by Owen

I suspect BMW want Kubica first, if they can't get him and he clears off to Ferrari then BMW would be delighted to employ Alonso. But the events of 2007 tell us Alonso would demand 'number one' status I suspect. That may not sit well with Dr T.

I think it is too much for Alonso.

If they want to keep Kubica first - it`s fine.

But bmw is not a magic place for next year in sight of unpredictable outcome of 2009 regulations application.

I hope Alonso will stay at renault and win again with them.

#29 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 15:32

If ****ing up team chemistry and listening to him whine floats your boat, then yes.;) I'm not doubting he'd be fast, but there is a price to pay and the question is whether you think it's worth it. If he SERIOUSLY went there and was fine with equal no.1 status with Robert, then yes. Otherwise, it's pandora's box time. :wave:

#30 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 15:36

Originally posted by Devero

I think it is too much for Alonso.

If they want to keep Kubica first - it`s fine.

But bmw is not a magic place for next year in sight of unpredictable outcome of 2009 regulations application.

I hope Alonso will stay at renault and win again with them.

alonso wILL stay at renault, he's 100% focused to win again

#31 El_Capitán

El_Capitán

• 564 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 15:52

You give Alonso your lawnmower and in a year and a half you're racing Indi with it.

That's how good he is.

#32 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,042 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:12

Theyd do better with him overall but he'd probably spit his dummy again at not beating Kubica all the time.

#33 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,386 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:15

Not at all.

I have good laughs with people here in Spain. They were convinced (by the media) that Alonso was going to Ferrari or to BMW for sure. And now it's the same thing all over again. I remember when back in 2005-6 people called Ferrari cheaters, bad losers and a long etc. Now they say Ferrari is the place to go, or BMW.

Ferrari and BMW DON'T need Alonso. I'm gonna say more: Alonso will have a very, very hard time getting a top drive again (Ă  la Villeneuve), unless Renault becomes a top team again (which I think it's pretty unlikely for several years).

#34 El_Capitán

El_Capitán

• 564 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:21

Originally posted by Ferrim
[...]Ferrari and BMW DON'T need Alonso. I'm gonna say more: Alonso will have a very, very hard time getting a top drive again (Ă  la Villeneuve), unless Renault becomes a top team again (which I think it's pretty unlikely for several years).

And your source is...? I mean Mario T. has made public, a few times, that he'd love to have Alonso in his team. Read between the lines my friend.

#35 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:22

Originally posted by djellison

Doug

+1.

#36 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:33

Alonso is about the LAST THING that BMW need right now. Just ask McLaren how much they NEEDED Alonso last year. He left a $100million mess. And that's on top of all of the in-fighting he did with Hamilton.

BMW needs to follow the Ferrari formula: Put good people in place who know the value of teamwork, get good solid drivers who understand that what is best for the team is also what's best for themselves in the long-run. And keep the drama out!

I get the feeling that Heidfeld has struggled enough in the past that he recognizes he doesn't need to screw up a good thing now. I also get the feeling that Kubica realizes the same thing. Maybe their egos will get the better of them in the future, but for now I think that everything seems to be clicking pretty good at BMW.

Sure, Kubica and Heidfeld aren't the most charismatic personalities around...but that isn't exactly a bad thing.

#37 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:38

Originally posted by Locai
Alonso is about the LAST THING that BMW need right now. Just ask McLaren how much they NEEDED Alonso last year. He left a $100million mess. And that's on top of all of the in-fighting he did with Hamilton.

BMW needs to follow the Ferrari formula: Put good people in place who know the value of teamwork, get good solid drivers who understand that what is best for the team is also what's best for themselves in the long-run. And keep the drama out!

I get the feeling that Heidfeld has struggled enough in the past that he recognizes he doesn't need to screw up a good thing now. I also get the feeling that Kubica realizes the same thing. Maybe their egos will get the better of them in the future, but for now I think that everything seems to be clicking pretty good at BMW.

Sure, Kubica and Heidfeld aren't the most charismatic personalities around...but that isn't exactly a bad thing.

how wrong your concept of alonso is, no wonder why reading english newspapers though,

#38 El_Capitán

El_Capitán

• 564 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:47

[B]Alonso is about the LAST THING that BMW need right now. Just ask McLaren how much they NEEDED Alonso last year. He left a $100million mess. [...]

Are you out of your mind man?! It was Dennis who cost the team $100 million. Look at this:

McLAREN MERCEDES SPIED ON FERRARI. Who's to blame? Ronald Dennis.

Alonso just happened to walk into a shitty situation. That's the only thing you can blame him for.

#39 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:50

hadn't read this before, it's hilarious, :rotfl: :rotfl: no matter dennis confesed later on mclaren guilt, alonso is to be blamed

Advertisement

#40 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:50

Last year Mclaren came the closest to winning both wcc's in a decade when the year before they didnt win a single race so they obviously needed alonso , and they also do this year considering they are getting beaten by bmw.

As for BMW Kubica is doing a good job but if Alonso was there id bet they would be doing even better.

#41 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:52

They don't need him, but they would be doing better then the current position if they had Alonso in place of Nick.

I suspect that this thread was started as some type backhanded swipe at Alonso from a Hamster fan that just can’t' stand it no more. :lol:

The one driver that BMW definitely DO NOT need or want is the golden child aka the hamster. His egomania and hollow boasting would totally destabilize the team. A team which is doing very nicely with their current understated and modest driver line up

#42 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 16:52

Originally posted by CrazyJ
Need, No. But having him would help.

Quoted for truth.

#43 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:03

Originally posted by Blueray

Last year Mclaren came the closest to winning both wcc's in a decade when the year before they didnt win a single race so they obviously needed alonso , and they also do this year considering they are getting beaten by bmw.

As for BMW Kubica is doing a good job but if Alonso was there id bet they would be doing even better.

nqft, because obviously the car was only designed once fa had arrived in woking. or because the emails of alonso's 'inspired' suggestions on set up, which may have had more to do with mc.

why am i talking with arrow?

#44 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 00:56

Originally posted by otoelpiloto
every single team need alonso, wherever he goes the team improve that year

Yes, just look at that 7th place in the WCC ;)

#45 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:00

Certainly not - who needs a troubleshooter and blackmailor? In the last race he couldn't keep it on track and the race before his stupidity cost BMW another strong result.

#46 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:05

BMW needs pairing of Vettel and Rosberg.

#47 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:11

Originally posted by MiPe
BMW needs pairing of Vettel and Rosberg.

Currently I would prefer Kubi over Ros, but I agree with Vettel. I like BMW. I hope they kick Mac and Ferrari ass. :up:

#48 devil500

devil500

• 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:40

Robert and Fernando are good good pals hmmm could work, but Nick is good unless he really does bad the rest of the year..

#49 Racer Joe

Racer Joe

• 2,886 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:53

Alonso is about the LAST THING that BMW need right now. Just ask McLaren how much they NEEDED Alonso last year. He left a $100million mess.

Alonso is blamed for that too? :lol: I thought it was Mike Coughlan who took the drawings?

And that's on top of all of the in-fighting he did with Hamilton. BMW needs to follow the Ferrari formula: Put good people in place who know the value of teamwork, get good solid drivers who understand that what is best for the team is also what's best for themselves in the long-run. And keep the drama out!

Kubica and Heidfeld is a really good lineup and the chemistry seems to be working right now. Things might change when they are battling with McLaren and Ferrari for wins and championships. I thought Nick's expression in the press conference after Kubica's win was quite stony.

BMW is not there yet. Maybe a guy like Alonso is what they need to drive the team to get that last 0.5% to really take on Ferrari and McLaren. I think Alonso acted like a prat last year but I do understand that there was huge pressure on him last year where he looked bad if he didn't beat Hamilton by at least 3 tenths every lap. It was a completely no-win situation for him.

If BMW wants to win they may need to risk. It appeared they have taken a big risk with their 2008 car and not just gone for an evolution of the 2007 car. They may feel it is time to take a gamble and go for Alonso.

Really, who cares about team chemistry if you are always third in the world championship, year in year out? They are in it to win.

#50 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:56

Kubica would welcome Alonso as BMW teammate

http://en.f1-live.co...609174634.shtml

RK: "I would have no problem with that. I get along with him very well."

"I do not know what the future holds, but if we do both drive for BMW, we would have a lot of fun,"

"We appreciate each other as drivers but also as people. You know with him that when he says something, it is what he really thinks,"

"He is not someone who thinks too much about his image, or says something for marketing or just to look good."

I dare say RK just spanked the hamster :cool: