Photo

Do you think Lewis will be WDC any time?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Lewis will be WDC any time? (178 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes (106 votes [59.55%])

Percentage of vote: 59.55%

2. No (72 votes [40.45%])

Percentage of vote: 40.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:20

I mean, taking into account his "stupid mistakes" when he´s overtaken, he needs to improve a lot if he wants to become WDC.

what do you think?

I´m going to do a risky statement

LEWIS HAMILTON WILL NEVER BE WDC :cool:

Advertisement

#2 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:24

I hope he doesn't but if I was putting money on it, yes he will.

#3 littlewoodenboy

littlewoodenboy

• 535 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:25

not if he keeps choking like the chicago cubs...

#4 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:26

Hes already made 3X more mistakes in 7 races this year than Alonso did in his WC years so he either needs to improve in that area or get a dominant car to win WCs. Lucky for him this year hes not up against consistent opposition so his errors are not hurting that much.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,787 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:28

He's what, 23? He's probably got 12 years at the peak of his driving ability (which took him within two points of the WDC in his first season), and has an unmatched-in-modern-F1 relationship with the best-equipped and best-funded team on the grid.

For him not to be World Champion at any point in his career would be remarkable, not to say incredibly unlikely. :wave:

#6 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:34

Originally posted by Blueray
Hes already made 3X more mistakes in 7 races this year than Alonso did in his WC years so he either needs to improve in that area or get a dominant car to win WCs. Lucky for him this year hes not up against consistent opposition so his errors are not hurting that much.

You didn't answer the question.

As said before me, It'd be incredibly unlikely that he would never win a championship in the long career ahead of him. I think the only thing stopping him is serious injury and/or death... which I really hope doesn't happen.

#7 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:39

he will, but I hope not too soon (not in the next 2-3 years) or the hype will be unbearable

#8 MS KR

MS KR

• 117 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:40

one day yes, not sure when though.

#9 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:40

As long as he doesn't quit F1 to become an ultra cool West Coast rapper like the new friends he found during the off-season its very unlikely for him NOT to become world champion.

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:42

potential is fully there, but hes got that gp2/f3000 title, which is pretty much a curse...

#11 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:45

Originally posted by ZZMS
he will, but I hope not too soon (not in the next 2-3 years) or the hype will be unbearable

I think it'd be better actually. His "amazing rookie" hype will die down - he'd become a mature and established driver in F1 and the benchmark for promising rookies.

#12 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:52

Originally posted by littlewoodenboy

The Cubbies happen to have the best record in the majors right now. Of course, it's still only June. Still, after an even 100 years, luck's gotta change, no?

#13 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:58

Originally posted by littlewoodenboy

Careful now the Cubbies are looking strong this year....best % in MLB!

#14 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 17:59

Originally posted by Scudetto

The Cubbies happen to have the best record in the majors right now. Of course, it's still only June. Still, after an even 100 years, luck's gotta change, no?

You beat me too it :up:

#15 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:01

I wonder how many people boldly predicted that Kimi will never win a WDC :lol:

#16 hedonist

hedonist

• 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:13

Not with McLaren...

#17 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:16

Originally posted by Lazarus II

:kiss: If Lewis' championship drought is as long as the Cubs', then winning the WDC will be the least of his accomplishments. :lol:

#18 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:18

somehow i still think that looking back after 25 years or so there will "Hamilton era" following right after "Schumacher era".

#19 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:32

I think he will manage a WDC at some point. He has the quality for that, for sure, but it won't be a walk in the park.

Advertisement

#20 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:36

as the saying reads "the train only passes through once in your life" and hamilton missed it last year :clap:

#21 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:39

I think he will be champion but there's a young gun from Poland who, I believe, will achieve this goal sonner than Lewis.

But, YES, Lewis will be a champion one day, he's definately fast enough, all he needs is to control his emotions better, so he can reduce amount of stupid mistakes.

#22 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:43

Originally posted by bankoq
I think he will be champion but there's a young gun from Poland who, I believe, will achieve this goal sonner than Lewis.

But, YES, Lewis will be a champion one day, he's definately fast enough, all he needs is to control his emotions better, so he can reduce amount of stupid mistakes.

Hmm... he's seemed pretty calm to me this year. :

#23 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:56

Im sure he is still learning alot and still has alot to learn. I just hope he has the humility to admit that to himself as it will only serve him in good stead for the future.

I think he will be, he's too fast not to if the McLaren stays at this level. You just never know whats round the corner in this game though, Lewis has as good if not better chance this year and if he doesnt take it next years reset could hold him back a few years so he needs to iron out these flustered mistakes that have already cost him one title.

#24 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,787 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:59

Originally posted by otoelpiloto
as the saying reads "the train only passes through once in your life" and hamilton missed it last year :clap:

Like it did for Renault in 2003? :rolleyes:

#25 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 18:59

Originally posted by Lazarus II

Does this stem from the same joke in back to the future 2? Are the cubbies the english football side of major league basball? (good on paper but never achieve)

#26 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:08

Michael Schumacher made a lot of mistakes in his first few seasons - and he won a few titles.

And he never eliminated them completely - remember China 2005?

#27 vaavu

vaavu

• 142 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:09

Originally posted by POLLATROLL
what do you think?

I think your nick and joining date says it all. :down:

#28 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:10

I think he will do it this year. The mistakes are mainly about being *too* focussed on driving the car, they're not driving errors. He was too fast and aggressive trying to pass Alonso in Bahrain, but in general his error rate is remarkably low. In fact I think Alonso was the first car he touched in all his races so far.

Meanwhile he's even faster than last year, the car is good, and the others have been making mistakes too.

It will be very interesting to see how the McLaren and Ferrari compare in France, if McLaren are on the pace there I think Lewis will do it.

#29 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:10

Originally posted by craftverk

Hmm... he's seemed pretty calm to me this year. :

Well, he forgot to press right button at the right time in Bahrain, he crashed twice in Fernando Alonso back because he probably couldn't hande mentaly difficult situation he was at that time, he crashed in Monaco and had a looooooot of luck to be able to continue the race, once again he screwed mentaly in Montreal and crashed to the cars in front of him.

And I still don't count his stupid mistakes from the end of last season.

And you tell me he always keeps his head cool? Yeah, sure live you world...

The only driver who, as it seems from the outside, does not feel any emotions is Robert Kubica and maybe Kimi. Actually it's quite scary, because Robert's as fast as anyone in F1 at the moment, but he drives like there's no-one watching him and there's no pressure.

#30 Bogs

Bogs

• 339 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:28

He better win it this year or things might get tougher. If Alonso get back with a strong team it will get tougher. Next year all the cars will be completely new, who knows what teams will be very strong. I think you can also now add Kubica into the picture. He is just as fast, if not faster than Lewis, but not prone to the same mistakes as Lewis. Put him in a top car, and Lewis has another serious contender to deal with.

You could say similar things about a couple more of the young guys.

You often hear of guys who almost won a championship in other sports really early in their career and thought they would get many more shots at it, but never did again.

#31 JensonWDC

JensonWDC

• 478 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:36

He should do it this year if he wants to be one, otherwise it might took a longer time to get another chance...

#32 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:37

It's possible he'll never become a WDC. But I think given the way formula 1 is heading there is increasingly little to choose between cars that the driver is becoming a bigger determinent between winning and losing.

Given Lewis is probably one of the best drivers on the grid, not to mention one of the youngest, I find it hard to believe he wont win at least one title.

#33 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:40

Well, he forgot to press right button at the right time in Bahrain, he crashed twice in Fernando Alonso back because he probably couldn't hande mentaly difficult situation he was at that time, he crashed in Monaco and had a looooooot of luck to be able to continue the race, once again he screwed mentaly in Montreal and crashed to the cars in front of him.

And I still don't count his stupid mistakes from the end of last season.

And you tell me he always keeps his head cool? Yeah, sure live you world...

The only driver who, as it seems from the outside, does not feel any emotions is Robert Kubica and maybe Kimi. Actually it's quite scary, because Robert's as fast as anyone in F1 at the moment, but he drives like there's no-one watching him and there's no pressure.

That's just being forgetful, that had nothing to do with being too emotional at all.

Though he did get a bit too close to Alonso first time, the other time a piece of his wing just broke off so he lost downforce, gained acceleration and it went on from there.

He's been handling the pressure amazingly well if you ask me, he made his three stop Turkish strategy work, and was right behind Massa in Spain.

If anything he gets a bit too comfortable at times.

#34 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 19:43

He is one of the fastest drivers, he is pretty young..yes, I think he will be WDC one day.

#35 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:22

Originally posted by Risil
He's what, 23? He's probably got 12 years at the peak of his driving ability (which took him within two points of the WDC in his first season), and has an unmatched-in-modern-F1 relationship with the best-equipped and best-funded team on the grid.

For him not to be World Champion at any point in his career would be remarkable, not to say incredibly unlikely. :wave:

Your "best-equipped and best-funded team on the grid" hasn´t won a championship for 9 years, so it´s not that likely he can win one.

#36 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:24

As said before me, It'd be incredibly unlikely that he would never win a championship in the long career ahead of him. I think the only thing stopping him is serious injury and/or death... which I really hope doesn't happen.

Jenson Button or David Couthard have had a long career too, and..... :down:

#37 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:26

This is the problem, i mean. He hasn´t won anything yet but he is treated like a hero and the worst thing is that he belives that and behaves in a arrgant way.

Less covers and more work

#38 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:30

Originally posted by Cenotaph
I think he will manage a WDC at some point. He has the quality for that, for sure, but it won't be a walk in the park.

I´d say better Alosno´s or Kubica´s era. They are more committed ? with their duty. Hamilton is more worryed about press than about races.

#39 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:33

Originally posted by pacificquay
Michael Schumacher made a lot of mistakes in his first few seasons - and he won a few titles.

And he never eliminated them completely - remember China 2005?

i agree, but he didn´t do such stupid mistakes. He knwe how to race in the middle of the group and keep calm when he was overtaken

Advertisement

#40 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:34

This is the problem, i mean. He hasn´t won anything yet but he is treated like a hero and the worst thing is that he belives that and behaves in a arrgant way.

He's treated like a star, more than a hero. And that's because he is a star, he has star quality, even though he makes mistakes and says things he shouldn't.

That's why there are so many threads about him

like this one you started :p

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,787 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:35

Your "best-equipped and best-funded team on the grid" hasn´t won a championship for 9 years, so it´s not that likely he can win one.

Doesn't change the fact that they've been in competition for it for more than half of those years. Only Ferrari have challenged more consistently, and without No.1 Schumacher and Bridgestone involved I doubt they could've won quite so many.

#42 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:35

Originally posted by vaavu

I think your nick and joining date says it all. :down:

It seems perfec to to me, but did i ofendd anybody? I´m doing a statement and i try to give some arguments.

#43 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:37

Jenson Button or David Couthard have had a long career too, and..... :down:

Yeah, but this is Lewis Hamilton not David Coulthard or Jenson Button. Call me crazy but I think Lewis is quite a bit more skilled than them... :/

He's won 6 Grand Prix, 8 pole positions, runner-up 2007, 16 podiums of 24, what more do you want?

He certainly was a bit arrogant, but it's not like he can't back it up on the track, just a shame he couldn't back it up in the pitlane, but there ya go. :/

You have troll in your name.

#44 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:40

Originally posted by Bogs
He better win it this year or things might get tougher. If Alonso get back with a strong team it will get tougher. Next year all the cars will be completely new, who knows what teams will be very strong. I think you can also now add Kubica into the picture. He is just as fast, if not faster than Lewis, but not prone to the same mistakes as Lewis. Put him in a top car, and Lewis has another serious contender to deal with.

You could say similar things about a couple more of the young guys.

You often hear of guys who almost won a championship in other sports really early in their career and thought they would get many more shots at it, but never did again.

And i´d add up. Next year, thy´re going to use slicks again and, do you know who are going to be favoured? In this order, Alonso, Kubica and kimi.

In february the did some test with 2008 aerodinamics and 2009 tyres. Renault was only one tenth behind ferrari. Think about it.

#45 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:44

Originally posted by undersquare

He's treated like a star, more than a hero. And that's because he is a star, he has star quality, even though he makes mistakes and says things he shouldn't.

That's why there are so many threads about him

like this one you started :p

Touché :wave:

The problemis that he´s is being unfocused ? on his duty.

P.S When i write xxx? is because i´m not sure about the word. My english is terrible.

#46 POLLATROLL

POLLATROLL

• 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:48

Yeah, but this is Lewis Hamilton not David Coulthard or Jenson Button. Call me crazy but I think Lewis is quite a bit more skilled than them... :/

He's won 6 Grand Prix, 8 pole positions, runner-up 2007, 16 podiums of 24, what more do you want?

He certainly was a bit arrogant, but it's not like he can't back it up on the track, just a shame he couldn't back it up in the pitlane, but there ya go. :/

You have troll in your name.

Yes, i agree he´s more skilled than the othe two, but massa number are more or less the same and nobody is talking about him.

I know that my nick contains "troll" but is a word play in spanish. i don´t intend to bother anybody :)

#47 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 21:55

Yes, i agree he´s more skilled than the othe two, but massa number are more or less the same and nobody is talking about him.

I know that my nick contains "troll" but is a word play in spanish. i don´t intend to bother anybody :)

Because most poeple are too busy bashing Lewis, ironic really. Massa did great though.

Ah I see. No hard feelings.

#48 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 22:07

Touché :wave:

The problemis that he´s is being unfocused ? on his duty.

He is perhaps too focused on driving the car and racing, I would say. So ultra-competitive. But many of his mistakes have been at least partly down to the team - tyres down to the canvas, vague information about where Kimi was in Q3 brazil, awful strategy in Brazil, gearbox gremlin, vague information about Heidfeld on the Bahrain Q3 in-lap, error-prone procedure for the start map selection with no feedback, and now a late reminder about the red light.

Some of this I suspect is that he is such a strong personality and so confident, and has made so few driving errors, the team/his engineer leave too much to him and underestimate how much he needs these supporting bits of information. But some of it is I suspect a weakness in that area in his race engineer Phil Prew.

#49 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 22:08

That's just being forgetful, that had nothing to do with being too emotional at all.

Though he did get a bit too close to Alonso first time, the other time a piece of his wing just broke off so he lost downforce, gained acceleration and it went on from there.

He's been handling the pressure amazingly well if you ask me, he made his three stop Turkish strategy work, and was right behind Massa in Spain.

If anything he gets a bit too comfortable at times.

Gosh, please take off your fanboyism glasses... Why did he get too close to Alonso and crashed to him? Because he was to pissed of; namely couldn't take mentaly, that the situation isn't progressing for him as he expected. He even admitted after the race, that he should stay more calm and collect as many points as possible, and not to try regain everything on the spot! Emotions, he has problem in controlling them if not everything goes perfect, and that's the reason of most of his mistakes.

What about that kamikaze try to overtake Alonso, when he lost position to him just after the start of Brazilian GP 2007? He could stay 4th and easily finish the race in points, or overtake Alonso on his pace.

What about his action a'la Albers in one of the european race in 2007? Why he did it? Because Ferrari and Alonso were beating him during that GP fair & square, and once again he had problems to handle his emotions and nerves.

I don't know how blind someone must be to not to see that there are situations when Lewis just can't handle his nerves. Or maybe you are listening to guys from ITV and believing everything what they say? Actually, if you don't know I tell you - 99% of their fanboyism talks are BULLSHIT...

#50 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 22:31

Gosh, please take off your fanboyism glasses... Why did he get too close to Alonso and crashed to him? Because he was to pissed of; namely couldn't take mentaly, that the situation isn't progressing for him as he expected. He even admitted after the race, that he should stay more calm and collect as many points as possible, and not to try regain everything on the spot! Emotions, he has problem in controlling them if not everything goes perfect, and that's the reason of most of his mistakes.

What about that kamikaze try to overtake Alonso, when he lost position to him just after the start of Brazilian GP 2007? He could stay 4th and easily finish the race in points, or overtake Alonso on his pace.

What about his action a'la Albers in one of the european race in 2007? Why he did it? Because Ferrari and Alonso were beating him during that GP fair & square, and once again he had problems to handle his emotions and nerves.

I don't know how blind someone must be to not to see that there are situations when Lewis just can't handle his nerves. Or maybe you are listening to guys from ITV and believing everything what they say? Actually, if you don't know I tell you - 99% of their fanboyism talks are BULLSHIT...

I'm no fanboy, sorry.

His wing DID break off, here is a vid to prove it:

Losing your wing means loss of downforce which means an increase in acceleration.

We are talking about this year :confused: Lewis doesn't put as much pressure on himself now as he did early in the season and last year:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/68113

Again you're going back to last year, and I see that as grasping for straws on your behalf.