Photo

Hamilton says he can still win in France

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 dgduris

dgduris

• 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:09

If only this time he can get around everyone stopped for those pesky red lights!

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/68208

Advertisement

#2 Frank Booth

Frank Booth

• 796 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:11

I wish he would just STFU!

#3 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:15

He's entitled to say this, but he cannot (but he will anyway) come out and say after the race having finished 5th or 6th (likely) 'well we knew we weren't going to get a podium this weekend so I'm happy with this result'.

He still seems oblivious to the fact he stuffed up in Montreal. I can understand a need to psychologically move on, but moving on is one thing, denying a mistake repeatedly and refusing to let it go as if that will change things is another.

Rather than intimidating his rivals he's showing tremendous weakness by doing this.

#4 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:17

Hehe. The determination is there for all to see. :up:
Lewis never gives up.

#5 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:17

Ego writing cheques his body can't cash?!

#6 ced381

ced381

• 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:18

Hamilton:

"It was nowhere near one of my lowest points. I don't even particularly feel it was a low point. It was one of those things you just have to come to terms with and move on.

I wonder if Raïkonnen feels the same way about this...

#7 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:18

Originally posted by Owen
Hehe. The determination is there for all to see. :up:
Lewis never gives up.

You think he has the skills to pay the bills ;)

#8 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:21

Originally posted by Mika Mika

You think he has the skills to pay the bills ;)

We'll see I guess. If he does it I'll be amazed.

#9 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:24

I love how you don't even post the article. :rolleyes:

edit:
And people start bashing him without reading it! Disgusting. :down:

#10 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:24

Originally posted by Owen

We'll see I guess. If he does it I'll be amazed.

As i said in MP4-23, it'll have to be the drive of the decade, better than kimi in 2005 good!!!

#11 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:26

He could win it. But starting at the back with all the monkeys I don't think anyone is going to give him an easy time. He is going to have to pass Alonso too.

I would wager there's a better than 50% chance he's going to bin it in Magny Cours. He seems really on edge with his PR since Montreal. He seems to really lose it when under pressure and he's creating so much pressure for himself with these public comments. He's going to cop it in Magny Cours before the race and that's only going to increase the pressure he puts on himself to hit back on the circuit.

He's going to push really, really hard in France. And it's going to be spectacular.

Spectacularly bad when he screws up, or spectacularly impressive - something which we've yet to see from him moving through the pack in F1.

#12 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:28

Originally posted by Frank Booth

The press ask him questions, and publish the answers :rolleyes:

#13 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:30

When Ralphie says that he will be a champion in Toyota... :love:

#14 rayyu882

rayyu882

• 432 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:31

I think I could win in France as well if I drive in F1... All I need is 19 cars to retire from the race!

#15 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:31

Originally posted by bogi
When Ralphie says that he will be a champion in Toyota... :love:

Lol yes and I suppose every year for about 4 years Barrachello promised he'd be the WDC :-)

#16 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:32

Originally posted by undersquare

The press ask him questions, and publish the answers :rolleyes:

May I borrow that excuse in the future? It's sheer beauty through simplicity is hard to top...

;)

#17 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:32

Guess what, DC got on the Podium last weekend.

#18 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:33

Originally posted by as65p

May I borrow that excuse in the future? It's sheer beauty through simplicity is hard to top...

;)

Could be novel defence for perjury :-)

#19 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:36

"I feel quite confident that we can still win there. That's my job," Hamilton was quoted as saying by Reuters.

"I've got to have that belief in myself and the team. I still feel we can finish in the top three but it's going to be a real challenge."

Too right. :up:

Advertisement

#20 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:39

Originally posted by kar
something which we've yet to see from him moving through the pack in F1.

In Brazil, he did a lot of overtaking.

It will be hard, I agree, the start is short and narrow and seems to have a lot of contact in turn 1. But he has only once hit another car while overtaking. I thinks it's evens he'll make 4th, 4:1 he'll win...

#21 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:42

Originally posted by as65p

;)

Be my guest as65p :wave: .

What is it you're planning to excuse?

#22 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:45

Originally posted by kar
He could win it. But starting at the back with all the monkeys ...

:lol:
Very apt.

#23 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:47

Originally posted by undersquare

In Brazil, he did a lot of overtaking.

It will be hard, I agree, the start is short and narrow and seems to have a lot of contact in turn 1. But he has only once hit another car while overtaking. I thinks it's evens he'll make 4th, 4:1 he'll win...

He did a lot of overtaking that day thanks to making so many pitstops and running lighter and with fresher tyres than anyone else. Where did he finish? Lapped, in 7th, despite their being 8 retirements... No Brazil is not a really good example of Lewis cutting through the pack against the odds.

#24 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:48

Well, assuming he has the speed to 'qualify' at or near the top (which he obviously does); then he'll be starting something like 10th or 12th with a kicka$$ car & a bit of extra determination. So... I'd think its entirely possible for him to win in France. Certainly wouldn't rule it out. Kimi really needs to wake himself up for this round to take advantage if he's serious bout this yrs title.

#25 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:50

This quote from today sums up Hamilton's attitude:
"Here we are, we're back. We never give up, we're always there, we always fight, and I think that's one of the great strengths of the McLaren team"

#26 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:52

Lewis is not used to starting from the back, when he does he makes mistakes. At least that's what I've seen.. If he can keep his nose clean in the first lap or so, he should be able to push hard and try and get into the podium with the right strategy.

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:54

Originally posted by potmotr
This quote from today sums up Hamilton's attitude:
"Here we are, we're back. We never give up, we're always there, we always fight, and I think that's one of the great strengths of the McLaren team"

Yeah, because everyone else is sitting at home wishing someone would give them a hug.

#28 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:55

Originally posted by BMW_F1
Lewis is not used to starting from the back, when he does he makes mistakes.

But he could be starting from 11th, which isn't the biggest disadvantage in the world.
A banzai opening lap and his normal super-human bravery into the hairpin and he could be up to fifth at the start of lap two...

#29 steelyman

steelyman

• 214 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:56

im glad he didnt say he was going to destroy anyone next weekend

#30 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:57

Originally posted by potmotr

But he could be starting from 11th, which isn't the biggest disadvantage in the world.
A banzai opening lap and his normal super-human bravery into the hairpin and he could be up to fifth at the start of lap two...

or crashed into the back of a car like he did to Alonso twice. If I were him, I would no go too crazy and use strategy to get me to the front. He really cannot afford a DNF in this next race specially if Kimi, Massa and Robert will all be starting from the front..

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,264 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 16:57

Originally posted by Frank Booth

And I you.
Jp

#32 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:00

Originally posted by kar

He did a lot of overtaking that day thanks to making so many pitstops and running lighter and with fresher tyres than anyone else. Where did he finish? Lapped, in 7th, despite their being 8 retirements... No Brazil is not a really good example of Lewis cutting through the pack against the odds.

He finished in 7th because the team gave him a 3rd stop, super-softs too soon and he had to turn the engine down. He did a lot of overtaking, that's the pointer for France.

#33 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Hammys says this, Hammy says that.

Does every single one-liner deserve its own thread here?

#34 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

I don't think he is saying anything he doesn't believe. He's clearly had a phone chat to Alan Baldwin from Reuters for that piece (as he does after most races) and has answered all questions truthfully. But as usual, because it's Hamilton, the amateur psychoanalysis is carried out looking into every single nuance of what he says.
But how is it different to the stardard 'I'm moving forward and I'm confident' piece we see after every race?

#35 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Originally posted by craftverk
"I feel quite confident that we can still win there. That's my job," Hamilton was quoted as saying by Reuters.

"I've got to have that belief in myself and the team. I still feel we can finish in the top three but it's going to be a real challenge."

Too right. :up:

So he didn't say he could win, he said he felt confident he could, and said it was his job to feel confident he could win.

I'd say that all the McLaren and Ferrari drivers go into every race feeling confident they could win.

#36 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:01

or crashed into the back of a car like he did to Alonso twice. If I were him, I would no go too crazy and use strategy to get me to the front. He really cannot afford a DNF in this next race specially if Kimi, Massa and Robert will all be starting from the front..

Given the Spanish media I wonder if Alonso is actually able to concede to Hamilton in a fight for position? It will probably be Bernoldi vs. DC all over again.

#37 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:03

If I were him, I would no go too crazy and use strategy to get me to the front. He really cannot afford a DNF in this next race specially if Kimi, Massa and Robert will all be starting from the front..

Yes, but an unforced error from Massa isn't unheard of, Kimi hasn't exactly been onform all season long, and Robert is due for a bit of bad luck, though I hope he doesn't.
I hope Hamilton goes for it, maximum attack as normal. Watching his entry oversteer through the fast chicane after the Magny Cours hairpin was the TV image of 2007 IMO.

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:06

Originally posted by Orin

Given the Spanish media I wonder if Alonso is actually able to concede to Hamilton in a fight for position? It will probably be Bernoldi vs. DC all over again.

What, the driver ahead holding his position fairly and within rights of his place on the race track, and McLaren and/or McLaren driver supporters taking issue with it?

#39 Bogs

Bogs

• 339 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:06

Problem is the best he can start is 11th. And that is if he has a fair light fuel load, and probably will pass some on the start as Mclaren has very good starts. However, he will be stuck in traffic and the cars behind him will have heavier fuel loads, so when he comes out after his first pit, it will be traffic again.

Unless he gets luck from a safety car, it will be extremely difficult for him to get into the top 5. He will have to pass Alonso, Rosenberg, and Heidfeld. Will be very difficult for him.

Advertisement

#40 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:07

I don't get the excitement. That's the kind of standard, run-of-the-mill, putting-a-brave-face-on-it banality we've heard before from just about everyone who's ever copped a penalty for random muppetry behind the wheel. *yawns*

#41 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:08

Perhaps his PR should buy him a poster;

Posted Image

#42 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:09

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

What, the driver ahead holding his position fairly and within rights of his place on the race track, and McLaren and/or McLaren driver supporters taking issue with it?

If he'd have been driving defensive lines it wouldn't have been so bad, but he was chopping across repeatedly and should have been penalised for driving like an idiot.

#43 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:09

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Yeah, because everyone else is sitting at home wishing someone would give them a hug.

:) :up: Even Ross is annoyed by this corporate-muppet-driver.

#44 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:12

Originally posted by kismet
I don't get the excitement. That's the kind of standard, run-of-the-mill, putting-a-brave-face-on-it banality we've heard before from just about everyone who's ever copped a penalty for random muppetry behind the wheel. *yawns*

No, but it's Lewis Hamilton so the comments are clearly part a campaign of maniplulation by Lewis and his scheming father Anthony, which once again displays Lewis's over-riding arrogance and belief that he is the reincarnation of Ayrton Senna, so he should be burned at dawn in front of Autosport towers using the print outs of every foaming post against him in this forum, then he'll never bother us again or win at Magny Cours or make stupid remarks when answering legitimate post-race questions by a journalist from a wire services with a quota of Formula One stories to file each day.... :smoking:

#45 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:14

Originally posted by Group B
Perhaps his PR should buy him a poster;

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:14

Originally posted by kismet

There's just something about him that is getting to be real creepy...
I tried my best to ignore his delusions of grandeur last year and enjoy his driving, but he's become such a PR clown (with now too many mistakes and crashes) that he's ridicolous and clownlike. He's like a videogame character, with pre-planned voiceovers...

#47 Andy Davies

Andy Davies

• 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:21

So talking his comments with a pinch of salt...

Does anyone reckon he could win - perhaps using a three or four stop strategy like Schumi used in 2004?

Andy

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:24

Maybe, but I doubt it. Alonso had a similar predicament last year (and he was able to start 10th) and wasn't able to make it very high up the grid.

#49 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:25

Originally posted by Andy Davies
So talking his comments with a pinch of salt...

Does anyone reckon he could win - perhaps using a three or four stop strategy like Schumi used in 2004?

Andy

I do, but with a radical four stop strategy and a banzai first lap.

#50 sensible

sensible

• 1,910 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:26

Originally posted by Mika Mika
Ego writing cheques his body can't cash?!

But if screws up just this much he'll be driving a truck full of rubber dogs*** out of hongkong :clap: