Photo

After Canada, McLaren and Hamilton's box at the end of the pitlane?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Only Massa

Only Massa

• 783 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 18:12

After Hamilton's brainfade in Canada, which ruined the race of a potential Championship contender and direct rival, I think it would be safe (and just plain right and respectful of the rules) if McLaren's box would be moved to the end of the pitlane, where it should be, following last year's WCC standings.

If McLaren's box hadn't been on the 5th spot, probably Hamilton's incident would have not happened (assuming that was an incident and not a deliberate action, obviously).

So, it would be sensible to respect the rules and put McLaren's pit box where it belongs.

Advertisement

#2 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 18:18

The pitlane box has nothing to do with Lewis' braindead antic. An idiot who can run into stationary car while travelling at 60 ~ 80 Kmph is just as capable of launching into them when exiting from the last pit box. :lol:

Mclaren's pit box will mostly depend on the size so that the team and its sponsors can be accomodated, and its actual location in the lane makes little difference to performance or safety. :up:

#3 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,260 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 18:42

Originally posted by Only Massa
After Hamilton's brainfade in Canada, which ruined the race of a potential Championship contender and direct rival, I think it would be safe (and just plain right and respectful of the rules) if McLaren's box would be moved to the end of the pitlane, where it should be, following last year's WCC standings.

If McLaren's box hadn't been on the 5th spot, probably Hamilton's incident would have not happened (assuming that was an incident and not a deliberate action, obviously).

So, it would be sensible to respect the rules and put McLaren's pit box where it belongs.

Why? I'm not sure it woul dmake any difference. What did the location of the pit box have to do with it.

#4 jesee

jesee

• 1,669 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 18:46

Another brain-fade kind of idea :down: :down:

#5 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 18:49

Originally posted by jesee

another brain-fade kind of idea :down: :down:

Have sympathy, he's a Massa fan, there's obviously something wrong.

Perhaps the solution is either bigger red lights, or something simpler that this convoluted system of red-stop , green-go, that professional $20M/yr drivers seem to have a problem with.

#6 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 18:51

Originally posted by tifosi

Why? I'm not sure it woul dmake any difference. What did the location of the pit box have to do with it.

Yeah, given Lewis missed...

i) the red light
ii) the two stopped cars
iii) the warning from his team

....I don't suppose another 80 metres of pitlane would have been any help.

Lewis is always telling us he has great determination and it seems on this occasion he was determined to crash, whatever help he was given to avoid it! ;)

#7 dgsg

dgsg

• 553 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 20:02

If he had pitted in first few boxes, he would just have been going faster when he got to the RED light! :blush:

#8 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,352 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:12

Originally posted by dgsg
If he had pitted in first few boxes, he would just have been going faster when he got to the RED light! :blush:

Nope! Remember the pit-lane speed limiter.... :rolleyes:

#9 donald29

donald29

• 129 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:39

http://img215.images...691/filenl0.jpg

Pitbox position had nothing to do with it.

#10 SB

SB

• 1,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:05

It seems in THIS very track, Ferrari has selected to use the last pit garages ( nearest to pit lane exit ) to try to gain maximum advantage for their drivers leaving the pits.

So if you would like to prevent the silly event happened, you have to either :

a) ask Ferrari to select the very first pit garages ( nearest to the pit enterance ) so that McLaren would use the garages nearest to the pit lane exit; OR

b) request the dearest FIA (or Ferrari) to overturn the punishment to McLaren at the Constructor table last year, such that McLaren would have been the WCC and thus able to select the last pit garages as Ferrari acturally did in this weekend. :rotfl: :rotfl: :drunk:

#11 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,516 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:51

The advantage of having a particular pitbox is very small, and I'm convinced this whole "McLaren pitbox punishment" doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of attention it is getting from the press and on this board. Besides, this "idea" doesn't make any sense. Let's put everyone who makes a brainfade in the pitlane in the final box... right... what happens when someone other than a McLaren does the same mistake? Pitboxes side by side? :confused: