Photo

Camera Angles

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:12

I just want to find out what people think about the onboard camera angle in F1 broadcasts. I personally don't like the wideangle len used, because it gives skewed view of distance and artifically increases the perception of speed. I much prefer the standand angle such as used in MotoGP and sportscars.

Obi

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:13

That shaky onboard camera from the early 90s was more exciting.
But was the camera more lose or the bumps and suspensions all that worse???

more exciting view, tens time better engine sound

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,725 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:15

Originally posted by Atreiu
That shaky onboard camera from the early 90s was more exciting.
But was the camera more lose or the bumps and suspensions all that worse???

Its the electronics that have changed. Image stabilization gets rid of the shakes.

#4 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:20

Originally posted by Clatter

Its the electronics that have changed. Image stabilization gets rid of the shakes.

okay
:)

#5 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:28

If that is the answer, (and I have no reason to believe it is not), then it seems a shame it has been introduced in many ways...the bumps tend to add to the the sensation of speed. I guess it may be a little less 'comfortable' to watch, but it is rarely the case that more than a single lap is broadcast from the in-car view.

#6 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:35

Originally posted by Obi Offiah
I just want to find out what people think about the onboard camera angle in F1 broadcasts. I personally don't like the wideangle len used, because it gives skewed view of distance and artifically increases the perception of speed. I much prefer the standand angle such as used in MotoGP and sportscars.

Obi

I'd never noticed it until now, but yeah the old perspective is better.

Thanks Obi :

#7 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:40

might be image stabilsed now and the tracks are smoother now iirec, they point downwards slightly too, miss alot of the scenery

personaly i love the howl u get on some onboard bike cameras.... http://www.bbc.co.uk...=bestonboard512 1.10~ in :)

last indycar race i watched, there was 6 onboard cameras, ofcourse they where moveable, AND high deff :eek:

#8 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,725 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:46

Originally posted by pingu666
might be image stabilsed now and the tracks are smoother now iirec, they point downwards slightly too, miss alot of the scenery

personaly i love the howl u get on some onboard bike cameras.... http://www.bbc.co.uk...=bestonboard512 1.10~ in :)

last indycar race i watched, there was 6 onboard cameras, ofcourse they where moveable, AND high deff :eek:

Tracks in some cases might be smoother but the kerbs are just as rough and you really get no idea from the camera how much the car shakes when driven over.

#9 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:59

I don't mind the F1 onboard camera views, shows alot of the surroundings. My issue is in such a high tech sport with millions being spent on organising it every year yet they can't get the bloody audio to sync unless its in an edited DVD season review.

#10 wllsfjrch

wllsfjrch

• 134 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 22:02

Not so sure about some of the unusual camera angles they have introduced in recent seasons. The one with the camera in the cockpit looking back at the driver's helmet/back of the steering wheel seems particularly pointless.

And one other thing I've only noticed recently, and not just in F1 either - it seems that a lot of the time when a pass happens on the track the host director immediately cuts to the pits of the car making the pass to show the reaction of the pit crew and the rest of the team. Oftentimes this happens before the overtaking move has even been completed properly. I know it adds to the drama to show the human element but surely that'd be more appropriate to show in a replay and stick with the action on track while there actually is some. Like I said, I only just noticed this recently, but perhaps it's been going on for a while - I don't really know!

#11 turin

turin

• 3,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 23:52

http://uk.youtube.co...feature=related

This one looked pretty smooth though. I'd say the viewing angle plays a bigger role, as all the vibration is typically accounted by fewer pixels (you can be shaking a tree 5 km away and porlly won't notice it in the camera). Much of the vibration sensation in the original post from Atrieu was due to Berger's helmet rocking in all ways. That distracts you and makes you feel as if there was more motion, but if you look at the track, it is pretty smooth in general.

Note as well that we did a full circle in regards to camera position.

#12 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,918 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 23:58

Originally posted by wllsfjrch
... The one with the camera in the cockpit looking back at the driver's helmet/back of the steering wheel seems particularly pointless.

My pet peeve!

Utterly and totally pointless. :up:

#13 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 00:36

I don't mind the wide angle one...but ones at driver eye level are heaps better. The ones where you are looking just over thier shoulder is nice...my all time fav is the one that they had in CART with Paul Tracy inside his helmet. Alonso did a few laps of barca in a renault with one it was fantastic.

#14 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,199 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:52

It seems camera angles these days seem to be inspired by video games, instead of the other way around.

The older angle is much better. Please switch back

PS: The vibrations are worse because the camera is in the rollover hoop these days, whereas those were attached to the side of the bodywork, plus modern cameras and technology has improved a hell of a lot.

#15 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:07

I'd also like to see a few more shots that show you the drivers working, e.g footwell camera they had on Katayamas tyrrell in the early 90's, the only other time i've seen it is with de la rosa in the arrows in 01 or 02 , but espeically with no TC this year, it would be awesome.

Given how hidden the drivers feet and hands are it would be good to see more, like in moto gp when you have the camera over the clutch watching them control the clutch under braking is awesome.

#16 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:08

Originally posted by rookie
I don't mind the wide angle one...but ones at driver eye level are heaps better. The ones where you are looking just over thier shoulder is nice...my all time fav is the one that they had in CART with Paul Tracy inside his helmet. Alonso did a few laps of barca in a renault with one it was fantastic.

I liked this helmet camera on Heikki's Renault better: (at around 2:20)

#17 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:09

that in helmet cam is awsome, really intimidating view being so low, and the visability when turning is blocked by your hand :o

#18 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:25

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related hikki got some interesting things to say

http://www.youtube.c...PVXxuzlIyA&NR=1 love the rearwing endplate? view

#19 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:21

Originally posted by mach4

I liked this helmet camera on Heikki's Renault better: (at around 2:20)

:up: awesome. I love that.

Advertisement

#20 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 13:33

Originally posted by pingu666

http://www.youtube.c...PVXxuzlIyA&NR=1 love the rearwing endplate? view

Yeah it would be great for shots of overtakes or side by side battles. This is my fave camera angle these days Link

#21 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 15:37

Originally posted by Crazy Ninja

This is my fave camera angle these days Link

That was the first time they've had that in F1 for a while, which was nice to see. It's a pitty they couldn't of fitted it to either Kimi or Lewis' car. :p

#22 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 17:48

It must be said that in-car cameras (actually, how many are even in the car? None I think!) are better these days in the respect that they at least don't fall off anymore!

#23 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 18:16

Originally posted by imaginesix
I'd never noticed it until now, but yeah the old perspective is better.

Thanks Obi :

Hi imaginesix

I wouldn't actually mind a mix of the two. The standard view to get a car stabilised semi-drivers perspective of the circuit and sense of speed and a wide angle lens to show competitors that may be close either side of the car.

Obi

#24 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 18:24

I guess what I'm looking for is accuracy. I love this onboard from LeMan: Mercedes CLR 1999
Here is another which shows a good mix of cameras Some aree wideangle: Mclaren F1 GTR

Obi

#25 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji

• 664 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 19:56

F1

(only tested - will not be used)

Indycar CCWS

NASCAR rotating onboard camera

NASCAR does by the way Interviews with the drivers during Safety Car periods, and you can listen to the Pit to car Radio COMPLETELY threw the whole Race of each driver of the Website. Its not even censored, you wouldnt believe how many curse words JPM is using during a Race :) In Formula 1 they switch the broadcasting for the Pit to car radio on when they have something stupidly obvious to say, in NASCAR you can hear the Pit to car Radio non stop for each driver

Foot cam

Rotating onboard camera in Indycar

And NASCAR has Races in HD since 2005, while F1 doesnt know if they will have HD Technology even in 2009. It is ridiculous.