Photo

Racing in Ethiopia or Rhodesia in the 1960/70s

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 guru_1071

guru_1071

• 44 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:52

bit of a long shot here, but does anybody know if any motorsport (at a club level, for example circuits / sprints) took place in either ethiopia or rhodisia (as it was then) in the mid 60's - 70's

reason i ask is that ive been offered a mini that was bought new in abbis abba, then looks as if it made its way to rhodisa, then was imported to the uk in the mid/late 1970's when its owner relocated here.

the car has never been uk registered and was brought here as a 'item' in the guys shipping (rather than a car) - so i assume no import duty was paid, i dont know, its so long ago i dont know whether it matters.

he has since died and the family have no interest in it. unfortunatley all the paper hisory was 'borrowed' a few years ago by someone who was going to buy the car, and was never returned.

im sure i will have no problems getting a uk v5c for the car as its fairly complete (its got a cage in it and what not - very period), but i currently worry that im going to buy it then find this previous person has created a clone from the paperwork.

am ringing dvla on monday, but would like to make a tentative stab at the possible history of this little beasty

any ideas?

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:13

DEFINITELY in Rhodesia as was, indeed they had F1 races there as part of the South African series.

Only racing I've heard about in what is now Ethiopia was at Asmara, now in Eritrea, but that was before the 1960s.

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 21:20

I doubt that anybody would go to the effort of cloning a Mini around such an obscure history. There are enough genuine ones around so there's no need to fake one. And as far as I know, in UK, a car does not need a period racing history to compete in historic racing, unlike Australia.

If bought in Addis Ababa as a road car, I would expect it to be left hand drive as Ethiopia drives on the right. Not definite, but likely. Unless of course it had been imported from Kenya or Uganda.

I don't think there was any racing in Ethiopia in the sixties, but I could be mistaken. I certainly don't recall any mention in the Kenyan newspapers at that time. Any racing in Africa in that period would have been carried out by expatriates and I doubt that the number of expatriates in Ethiopia would have reached the critical mass necessary for organised motor racing or even rallying to take place.

The only Ethiopian motor sport connection I can think of is that Carl Forsmark from Ethiopia drove a Saab private entry in the 1963 Safari and in subsequent years, but never finished the rally.

#4 guru_1071

guru_1071

• 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:03

thanks for the above.

its a curious one as it was imported as a right hand drive - just less the heater!

its a cooper s, so whilst the value is small compared to many classic cars, its large to me

i dont think the vauge promise of race use abroad adds at all to the value, rather makes a more interesting history.

its just always a worry when the paperwork of any car is spirited away.

r.

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:56

Originally posted by guru_1071
thanks for the above.

its a curious one as it was imported as a right hand drive - just less the heater!

its a cooper s, so whilst the value is small compared to many classic cars, its large to me

i dont think the vauge promise of race use abroad adds at all to the value, rather makes a more interesting history.

its just always a worry when the paperwork of any car is spirited away.

r.

If it is UK built...the the Heritage centre at Gaydon should be able to provide you with a certificate (just as a start on your road to finding out the lineage of the car)

If it was a SA assembled or built unit...then thats another kettle of fish :)

Out of interest....970, 1071 or 1275??

#6 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:50

The "Ethiopian Highland Rally" rally was held in Ethiopia in the 60s and early 70s.

In this page
http://www.ilchichin.../cassetto10.htm
you may find several news and pictures of the 1973 edition of the rally (10th edition).
This website is in Italian, by the Italian community living in Ethiopia.

#7 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 00:48

This collection of photos should be of interest:

http://www.classicca...tor racing.html

#8 SimonR

SimonR

• 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:59

I am more than a bit late replying, but I definitely remember Minis racing at the Marlborough track in the mid to late 1960's.
There were at least a few local hot Minis, though Ford Anglias and Cortinas were very popular, and cars came up from South Africa for the bigger meetings, Basil van Rooyen in the Lotus Cortina and a 7 litre Galaxie similar to the Willment car.
Local cars I remember in particular included a Morris Minor with Coventry Climax motor and the wheels painted pink, and an Austin A90 with some sort of v8, possibly a small block Chevy.