Photo

Early Holden racing

• Please log in to reply
1264 replies to this topic

#51 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 13:58

Just ignore the Elite (difficult, I know) That's the Gard Holden behind. IIRC (as certainly as a colour blind person can be) it was orange with red guards, the same colours as his Gard 27, and probaly related to his sponsor/entrant, John Mott Motors

Posted Image
Posted Image

sorry about the size - there's a gremlin in this lot of scans that defies all my efforts to resize it.

Advertisement

#52 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 00:00

Posted Image
By kevbart

Not a racing Humpy I know. Period shot of Humpy course car at Warwick Farm January '61. Thought I'd leave the local cop in shot.

#53 wagons46

wagons46

• 274 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 00:36

Kev, they hadn't invented the Falcadore or CommaCON at this point ,yet look at the size of the crowd. They must have known you were racing......in the Morrie Minor perhaps.

#54 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 00:47

KB... I find that hard to believe! Who on earth would have had an FJ Holden as an official at the Farm?

All the same, the police outfit is great to see, but I'm actually wondering why you took that pic?

And I also note the fellow with his baseball cap on backwards... they won't be able to claim that's a modern invention now!

#55 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:21

Or is it one of those caption-writing competitions?......

Policeman to expert onlooker: "Do I ride it facing this way?"

#56 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:27

:lol: Or, which way did those speeders GO? :rotfl:

#57 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:44

Originally posted by Ray Bell
And I also note the fellow with his baseball cap on backwards... they won't be able to claim that's a modern invention now!

Photographers often did that - this guys looks as if he could be fiddling with a camera.
But he still might have been the first :)

#58 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:04

Originally posted by David McKinney

Photographers often did that - this guys looks as if he could be fiddling with a camera.
But he still might have been the first :)

True - Root Lanceing always wore his that way when shooting - but at least he had the sense to turn it back again when he didn't have a camera to his face

#59 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:11

I remember that spot was always a favourite for at least one photographer, many more joined when an International (Tasman) was on. Note; his strap on the left shoulder. Wonder none were ever skittled.

Advertisement

#60 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:44

The "reverse-cap" bloke is looking down whilst his neighbours are looking horizontally; that suggests that he has put his eye-level camera away and is using his twin-lens reflex (Rollei, perhaps) or, if he is a wealthy/keen shooter, his Hasselblad (not very likely),

#61 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:52

...or changing film
Or swapping lenses

#62 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:02

John Goss did race an "early" and if you go onto the oldracephotos.com website and click on the Old Holdens category you will find it (or use Advanced Search and type in Goss if you want to be quick). You will also find the last ever Pre-EH ever race in Autralia in there - No 289_H_FJ_75 at Baskerville in 1975, way after they finished up at Calder etc. I may be a bit biased but we did have some seriously quick FX - FJ's in Tas over the years, even though some may not have been 100% legal.
Bill Tuckey did a great article in a Sports Car World in the 70's "The Day the Holdens Died" or similar which verified some of the tricks the Tassy boys got up to - fiberglass floors and spare wheels, alchohol injection in the windscreen washer pump for the carbs etc,etc. Nothing was sacred!
Great times!

#63 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:13

Just noticed the car in Tas Auto News posted. This belonged to Barry Devine who raced a very successful FJ at Richmond Speedway in the formative years '68-69. The car in Tas Auto News was his street car which he decided to use in circuit racing.
Was immaculate too, I remember it in the Richmond pits, triple Webers etc,etc. Unfortunately he had a brake disc explode (HR discs at front) going into Firestone cnr at the end of the main straight at Baskerville (at his debut meeting) and did quite a lot of damage to the car.
And that was it. I don't think he could afford to rebuild it and we never saw him at the Speedway again either.
Regards, Lindsay Ross

#64 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:17

Originally posted by seldo
True - Root Lanceing always wore his that way when shooting - but at least he had the sense to turn it back again when he didn't have a camera to his face

Good old Lance Needs Ruting. What a character he was. (maybe we need a thread just for him?)

#65 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 504 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:25

A few more images of early Holdens racing in Tassie (courtesy Tasmanian Auto News)

Symmons Plains 1967/68
Posted Image

Symmons Plains 1968/69
Posted Image

Posted Image

#66 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:59

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Good old Lance Needs Ruting. What a character he was. (maybe we need a thread just for him?)

Yep, surprising that there isn't one on Lance J...

As for that Trumpeter and chair....the Sydney market was flooded with them for a while there...my Uncle picked up two at the auctions...and used to scare the bejayzus outta me when he would purposley lift the chair around corners.

#67 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 20:13

Originally posted by kevinbartlett
I remember that spot was always a favourite for at least one photographer, many more joined when an International (Tasman) was on. Note; his strap on the left shoulder. Wonder none were ever skittled.

Mike Swan?

#68 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:11

GeoffR, over what period of time was Tasmanian Auto News published?

#69 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 504 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:14

I'm not sure re the publication of Tasmanian Auto News. I inherited 5 copies with a collection of 'ancient' maps of Tas and Vic some time ago. Also several years instructions etc for the BP Rally of SE Australia.

The copies I have are October '67, February '68, November '68, May '69, November '69 and May/June '70. They contained everything from road tests, club news, race & rally reports etc. The editor was one Paddy Baker, who was also the CAMS State Manager in Tassie for a considerable period of time.

#70 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:16

My last copy of Tas Auto News is May 1972 and I think that either was the last one or close to it. I have June'68 (with the last Longford report in it/Jim Clark tribute),Nov'68, May/June '70, Nov '70 and the May '72. Paddy Baker was the editor all the way through and David Keep (one of my photographers on the oldracephotos.com website) was the official photographer and one of the 3 guys who put it all together and came up with the magazine in the first place, along with Ron Mason.
Regards, Lindsay Ross

Also the posting re Barry Devine's FX I put on the other day was incorrect in that I said a brake disc exploded causing his accident at Baskerville - it was a brake drum which disintegrated. It had drums all round, not front discs.
It was also not his debut meeting - he had engine blow-ups in practice for both the previous Symmons and Baskerville meetings. Which is no doubt why the Baskerville accident probobly left him with an empty wallet.
Shame as he was apparently doing good lap times in early practice at Baskerville.

#71 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:30

Great to see a thread on my favourite car-the racing pre-EH.Went to Albury in 68 to catch them,it had already died as a category in Sydney.Graham "Tubby" Ritter by 1970 had the best looking and fastest FX beautifully presented by Tino Leo's Paint and Panel.Lap times at Calder for these were well under a minute,it took a stove hot Cooper S to worry them,not a lightly modified clubbie.Their are many excellent photos of earlies on several sites.David Blanch has all the old Lance Ruting collection,you can buy on line,not sure about the other collections.I've got a 1950 model so don't need photos ! I can tell you it's a thrill to put one around Oran Park in 55.5 or Amaroo in 64.1.They are a stodgy old thing to drive around in but the suspension is very easily and cheaply stiffened up and on the track everything lightens up and they really talk to you.
Ray the myth of the CANADIAN BLOCK is busted.They just had to minutely measure blocks and find centred bores/water jackets,IF YOU WANT 2550 OR 2598 cc.Any block will go to 2440cc,which is what Ian Tate used in the 2005 Brock Goodwood FX---which in old holden tradition lost oil pressure and was not run on the Sunday.It did a few laps at Winton last month.I believe Tate used mitsubishi pistons,nobody is making the lumpy top big bore pistons now.As with HQ racing 12:1 compression was needed to get you in the winners circle.
Like ALL in line 6s the harmonics get unhappy around 6300rpm.If your motor can breathe well enough to spin to 7000 you get through the harmonic quickly but if you're pushing air out of the way on a level straight sitting on 6300 too long bye bye crankshaft.A lightened or alloy flywheel and big heavy harmonic balancer helps by creating a more equal spinning mass at both ends of the crank but can't make the harmonic period disappear altogether.BTW ALL Holden 6s up to 1970 had STEEL CRANKS.The 179HP steel crank is nothing special-myth busted.
Phil Barrow still races his late father Alan's FJ and is the only humpy today that would match the Pre-EH cars,although they were allowed 13 inch wheels at some point which were 7 inch at least.These had different setup to the Bo Seton era cars with skinny tires and more body roll.The photos of them three or two wheeling around Craven A at Catalina are astounding.

Max Stahl was a fearless FX punter,his RCN Magazine was always full of early holden results and pics.I read he did 127 mph at Bathurst,Phil Barrow did slightly more a few years back.7200 rpm into the chase,15 inch wheels.He tells me id did a funny kind of "walk" into the turn at that speed.His best lap was 3.01 ,mainly handicapped by having the 3 speed box up mountain straight,but faster than any previous grey around a longer track.Phil runs two sidedraft Webers but one throat of one is covered,the 3 throats feed to 3 ports.The Block is 2550-ancient Westlite lumpy tops.The block was set upside down and molten steel puored into the water jackets to an"undisclosed" depth to fatten it up on top.

The Barry Devine car probably fell to a weak link,the hub and keyway back axle where the brake drum is a stressed driveline piece--break it and your wheel falls off.Earlies now are allowed FE-FC AXLES with a convertor plate for FJ studs for safety.

#72 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:10

In reference to Max Stahl pulling 127mph at Bathurst - in Tuckey's SCW article (Oct 1972) "The day the Holdens died" there were local Pre-EH's timed at 132mph on the Flying Mile at Longford (probobly around the same time as Stahl by the wording in the article). Other tricks were a 12volt battery in a 6 volt casing, back seat with no internals, 3 doors welded shut with all door/window mechanisms removed (door lock buttons Tarzan gripped into holes!) and all floor centres replaced by fiberglass - all up weight was around 14 cwt! That was the car with methanol injection in the screen washer pump.

Regards, Lindsay Ross

#73 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:26

Much as I admire Bill Tuckey's work you'd have to take some of that data with a grain of salt.132mph on a level road-I dont think so ! 14 cwt--?--impossible !!And why would you strip out a monocoque steel shell and compromise the already limited chassis stiffness to save a few kilograms ? But the Tasmanians probably did have the fastest earlies,and they campaigned them longer.The Teswegians probably enjoyed stretching the truth to the 'mainland' journalists and chuckling when their words went into print.

#74 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:30

The flying eigth at Bathurst was down hill, " speed enchancement " was commonplace. I remember looking at speed trap velocities after the '64 Armstrong 500, Vauxhall Viva's doing 90 mph or there abouts etc. Slip streaming could also be of great assistance. All pretty spooky valve bouncing in top gear with barbed wire fences and gum trees lurking trackside.

#75 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:47

Yes Bathurst IS downhill but Tuckey was talking up 132mph at Longford,Tasmania-only a slight gradient but could have been a stiff tailwind on the day ....maybe. No reason why a blueprinted Vauxhall Viva wouldn't do 90mph down conrod though.It is damn steep !! HQ Holdens do 115mph with one holden carburettor.

#76 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:15

Sorry JY, not contadicting you, just pointing out that at Bathurst, the downhill run made top speeds look better than they'd have done on a level road. The Viva's and everyone else were doing fantastic speeds, with the help of the incline. My Viva would have been lucky to see 80 m.p.h on level going, although it's also true they steamrolled all opposition in Class A at Bathurst in '64. Seem to recall the Cortina GT's topping the ton in the flying eigth too. All this hasn't much to do with racing early Holdens, although the HB Viva became the first Holden Torana. I'll butt out now.

#77 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:33

Originally posted by johnny yuma
Yes Bathurst IS downhill but Tuckey was talking up 132mph at Longford,Tasmania-only a slight gradient but could have been a stiff tailwind on the day ....maybe. No reason why a blueprinted Vauxhall Viva wouldn't do 90mph down conrod though.It is damn steep !! HQ Holdens do 115mph with one holden carburettor.

The HQs go faster than 115mph down Con-rod.
I was doing 110mph up Mountain straight and 120mph down Con-rod and the quick blokes were getting away from me! :lol:

#78 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 23:24

Putting my Tassy bias aside Johnny Y, I think I would have to agree with you re the 132 mph at Longford and the 14cwt would have to be a stretch too - makes for interesting reading though!
If anyone out there is mates with Gene Cook he would be the one to ask as he was right in the thick of it for many years. His FX in '68-69 was very fast and his later Speedway FJ was regarded as the quickest in OZ.
In the Tasman Motorist Longford report from the 1965 meeting, John Ziegler was the fastest of the "earlies" on the Flying Mile
at 107mph (in the ex Leo Geoghegan car), Garth Wigston was next at 105 and poor old Johnny Goss could'nt quite crack the ton at 99mph. Gene Cook was clocked at 117 in his Customline. Quickest man at the meeting was one B McLaren at 169mph in his winning Cooper Climax.
Also you can buy prints online off the oldracephotos.com website too.

#79 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:18

Surely John Goss was in his Customline at the '65 Longford?

There were two there that meeting, IIRC. It's true, I might be confusing 1965 with 1966 (I went to both), but I'm sure that my photos taken at Longford Corner, which I only did in '65, showed the verandah post knocked down by one of the two.

As for the late-sixties humpies... by they the were running under Sports Sedan rules (or lack of rules!) and lightweighting was rife. But never would they see 14cwt, not a chance in the world.

Advertisement

#80 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:34

There were two there that meeting, IIRC. It's true, I might be confusing 1965 with 1966 (I went to both), but I'm sure that my photos taken at Longford Corner, which I only did in '65, showed the verandah post knocked down by one of the two.

As for the late-sixties humpies... by they the were running under Sports Sedan rules (or lack of rules!) and lightweighting was rife. But never would they see 14cwt, not a chance in the world.

Just wanted to add a photo of two old holdens racing at Caversham

Probarly 1963

George Waklin and Dick Roberts

Posted Image

Murray Thomas

#81 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:14

At the Lake Gairdner Salt Lake "annual" TOP SPEED RUNS over 3 miles on very hard salt (it's like cold marble to walk on) an FJ hit 113 mph,fastest grey holden so far since event began in 1991.A very low silver car standard bodywork skinny wheels the usual 3 S.U. setup don't know how well developed it is [Lehmann from Robe,S.A.).This was 2006,last 2 meetings rained out! Same week a Suzuki Hayabusa hit 223 mph.Go to dlra.org.

Always impressed by the HQ speeds--faster than I thought! Do they run 3.55 diff ? It's impressive to do 110 UP mountain Straight in top gear hauling the hefty hunk of blunt metal.One would suspect a 3.89 ???

DJH guess you may have just seen Top Gear with the 1963 Opel Kadett/Vauxhall Viva racing the other cheap heaps across Africa and lookin pretty smick !! so much so the presenter had it shipped back to England.

Another tack anyone have details on how the FX went in the Monte Carlo Rally in 1953 with Tony Gaze,Stan Jones and (can't recall) aboard.The Tuckey book has them clean-sheeting early then getting lost.

#82 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:04

Catalina Park, perhaps '63 or '64. One of my brother's slides he's in the process of scanning. He thinks there could be more of the FJ's. Anyone recognize the car and driver? I like the rolled up sleeves.[IMG]http://img295.images...scan0011qk4.jpg[/IMG]

#83 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:43

According to Barry Green's Fast Track Back - Longford Goss got his Customline from Gene Cook. Ray Alford was also running a Customline when Cook was running his.

#84 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:57

Originally posted by DJH
Catalina Park, perhaps '63 or '64. One of my brother's slides he's in the process of scanning. He thinks there could be more of the FJ's. Anyone recognize the car and driver? I like the rolled up sleeves.[IMG]http://img254.images...n0011iw2.th.jpg[/IMG]

Donovan? I'm fairly sure it is. If the scan was bigger you'd read it off the side...

JY... I feel sure it was Davo in the Monte Carlo car. That's why he's listed early in this thread.

#85 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:07

Always impressed by the HQ speeds--faster than I thought! Do they run 3.55 diff ? It's impressive to do 110 UP mountain Straight in top gear hauling the hefty hunk of blunt metal.One would suspect a 3.89 ???

3.55 diff. ;)
I think the speeds of the HQs on both straights shows how much the cars were being held back on Con-rod due to the single carby. I would have loved to have whacked on a set of triples to see how fast it would have gone. :lol:

#86 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:01

Re Goss in FJ at Longford Ray, I have a shot on the site at Mountford of him sideways in the FJ in 1965 - he actually signed a copy of it at the Muscle Car Masters this year for me. Cusso was 1966. Cook was in it for 1965 meeting.
Regards, Lindsay Ross

#87 wagons46

wagons46

• 274 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:23

DJH and Ray .The early model at Catalina is the old Boomerang car with Bo Seton driving as mentioned in the Catalina Park thread. The car was sold to Brian Donovan with the provido Seto could use it again in round 4 of the Neptune series. See the photo in Autopics with Seto on the bonnet doing a victory lap in the same shirt .

#88 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:49

Another tack anyone have details on how the FX went in the Monte Carlo Rally in 1953 with Tony Gaze,Stan Jones and (can't recall) aboard.The Tuckey book has them clean-sheeting early then getting lost.

They were classified 64th. So many people clean-sheeted that the organisers had to put on a acceleration and braking test to whittle numbers down to 100 for the final Col de Braus regularity test. The Holden was among the top ten in this test, but - if I'm reading the results correctly - only 44th on the Col. Perhaps, as suggested, they wrong-slotted, but I would have thought the fact that neither Jones nor Davison had (reportedly) ever driven on snow before might have been a factor :lol: But to finish 64th among 243 classified was a pretty good effort

#89 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:10

Originally posted by DJH
.....I like the rolled up sleeves.

Of course, many didn't wear racing overalls in those days...

It was still a year or two away from 'Nomex' and 'Proban' suits, the big shots in their Coopers got Dunlop outfits, the tintop drivers wore casual dress.

We used to notice at Catalina that Brian Muir would always put on a long sleeved woollen jumper for the last race of the day.

Nobody yet has mentioned the infamous 'tank slapper' out of Craven A by Graham Moore... nor the massive rollover by John Rootes in Savva's Hairpin. And where are the WA guys with their stories of Henk Vaanholt putting an end to 'Round the Houses' racing forever?

#90 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 13:56

Of course, many didn't wear racing overalls in those days...

It was still a year or two away from 'Nomex' and 'Proban' suits, the big shots in their Coopers got Dunlop outfits, the tintop drivers wore casual dress.

We used to notice at Catalina that Brian Muir would always put on a long sleeved woollen jumper for the last race of the day.

Nobody yet has mentioned the infamous 'tank slapper' out of Craven A by Graham Moore... nor the massive rollover by John Rootes in Savva's Hairpin. And where are the WA guys with their stories of Henk Vaanholt putting an end to 'Round the Houses' racing forever?

I was too young to remember the Vaanholt rollover... But my brother and I got a Scalextric set (the Grand Prix one with 2 Lotuses (Loti?) and 2 Coopers) for Christmas in 1966 and I recall playing in our loungeroom on Christmas day and there was a huge crash, all airborn and multiple rollovers and Dad laughing out loud and exclaiming that "it did a Vaanholt". Heehee.... :lol:

Sorry - way off topic.... :

#91 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 21:46

The irony of the whole thing, to me, was that I was supposed to be there...

For a couple of years I'd been hearing from Mike Kable about this fantastic 'Round the Houses' racing in WA. As I went to a lot of interstate meetings, he was suggesting I should make the trip and see one.

At the start of each year we'd get our RCN racing calendars and go through and mark the meetings we'd go to that year. For 1965, the only such meeting was Geraldton... I marked it. It was on a week after a Catalina meeting, IIRC, and the same date as a Lowood (Qld ANF1½ title).

At Catalina, however, Bruce Burr asked me if I'd take my camera to Lowood. He'd give me a lift to the meeting if I shot a roll of film of Greg Cusack winning this state title for Castrol as he wasn't sure which photographers would be there.

So, not having been to Lowood, I took that option.

But if that hadn't happened I don't know what I would have done. I might have flown to Perth and hitch hiked to Geraldton, I don't know. I might have checked bus timetables. I do know I'd made no arrangements, and from my 1979 trip to Perth I came to realise how little I knew about how far it was.

It would have been a fantastic trip, though, whether I'd got there or not.

Upside? At least it meant I saw a meeting at Lowood, which would close within twelve months. Also, I don't think Geraldton would have given me the same impressions as I would have got at a Bunbury or Carey Park... what do you reckon?

#92 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 22:40

[IMG]http://img295.images...scan0011qk4.jpg[/IMG]
Resized the Catalina image for you Ray. I also checked out the Autopics photo of Barry Seton riding on the bonnet with the Neptune Trophy. The car number is the same ( 15 J ) and Seto is indeed wearing a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up! Looks as though my slide photo was taken during 1964.

#93 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:02

At the Lake Gairdner Salt Lake "annual" TOP SPEED RUNS over 3 miles on very hard salt (it's like cold marble to walk on) an FJ hit 113 mph,fastest grey holden so far since event began in 1991.A very low silver car standard bodywork skinny wheels the usual 3 S.U. setup don't know how well developed it is [Lehmann from Robe,S.A.).This was 2006,last 2 meetings rained out! Same week a Suzuki Hayabusa hit 223 mph.Go to dlra.org.

This post requires some additional information. I happen to know the owner (Dennis Boundy) and base myself at at the "Grey Power" camp when attending this event which I have done since 1999.

Firstly, I don't believe the records shown are entirely accurate however from memory here goes.

In 2006, this car was running with a Norman Supercharger on the Grey Motor. Unfortunately it burnt a piston and that was the end of Speedweek 2006 for Dennis Boundy. Top speed 111.124 mph. Motor now repaired and sorted but no opportunity to run it as yet.

The car has previously been run in naturally aspirated mode since 2003. That engine was equipped with triple Stromberg carbs. The highspeed of 113.075 I believe was set in 2004 with a very stiff tail wind. Otherwise the speeds are around the 105-108 mph mark.

The engine I believe was originally set up for speedway so developed for high rpm application. The effort needed to acheive high sustained speeds over a measured mile can easily be underestimated.

#94 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:33

Thanks fredeuce-I was relying on memory from my 2004 first and only visit to the salt and 2006 result sheets.Don't know why I remembered SUs instead of Strombergs but you're right.Grey Power was of course the perfect team name given the mature age of the team,the motor,and the colour.Do you have any further mechanical details? What length of road must the speed be maintained for averaging?

Catalina park--Love to see an HQ go triple carbs. John Medley's book has Brian Muir at 136 mph in the bored and stroked 3.4 litre EH in 1964/65--3 tt Webers.He reportedly changed the diff ratio after unsatisfactory practice times,but I don't know what he went from or to.

The Group N XU1s must be getting over 140mph,they are much more powerful than the HDT XU1s of 1973.
Any info anyone?

#95 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:25

.....John Medley's book has Brian Muir at 136 mph in the bored and stroked 3.4 litre EH in 1964/65--3 tt Webers. He reportedly changed the diff ratio after unsatisfactory practice times, but I don't know what he went from or to.....

Just phone Ray Eldershaw... he'll readily tell you...

Like Brian's successful grey motor (and the 48/215 it was in), the EH was entirely the work of Eldershaw and Muir. But it wasn't a 3.4 stroker in '65... they had to adhere to the new 3-litre class limit.

#96 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:18

Here are some more from Catalina 1964, Neptune Trophy race. I seem to recall the blue Holden with the
" anti roll " stripes was Warren Weldon. Those top flight FJ's had a lot of class and were very exciting to watch, someone please tell who's in the Energol green one, number 56. I should know, but, I can't remember.
What a fabulous little circuit, please can we have it back.[img=http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9300/scan0001jd1.jpg] [IMG]http://img253.images...scan0002nu6.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img178.images...scan0003el7.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img295.images...scan0004po5.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img169.images...scan0005em4.jpg[/IMG]

#97 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 14:31

So called FX / FJ...are we for getting a certain "Ron Harrop" and his very Quick "Howler'..................??,Where did the FX 'Tag' come from ???.......come on Freeduce/Ray Bell, this has got 'urban myth' written all over it...........................

#98 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 15:25

You're right, of course...

It came about in the late fifties when the FJ, FE and FC were around and there was no real understanding of the nomenclature and how it came about.

The coding was simple. A B C D E F G H J K and L were reversed... L K J H G F E D C B A for 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. There was no 'I' to avoid clashes with '1'.

So the FJ, which had been intended to be released in 1952 (remember how the FJ suspension came out in '52 on the 48/215s? Along with the overiders on the bumpers too, IIRC) but was finally released in '53. Still it retained the 'FJ' for '52'. The FE was on time in '56, the FC in '58, the FB was actually released in January or February of '60, but was timed for release at the end of '59.

So if the coding had been in place when the first Holdens were released, then the cars would have been GCs. The '48/215', of course, is the year and the body type (sedan).

By the way, the green Holden might be Ralph Sach.

Now... where are the pics of the likes of Dennis Dix?

#99 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 17:05

I don't think I ever knew that, Ray
Simple when you know the answer :)
I do remember that when the EH came out, it was advertised - in NZ at least - as having "more horses". We decided EH must have stood for "Extra Horses"

Advertisement

#100 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 18:12

Shame on you, David...

Didn't you read my Motor Racing Australia story on the S4 Holdens?

That's the real ones, of course, the ones without disc brakes, without 4-speed gearboxes, without limited slip diffs and in particular, without round tacho and speedo on the dash. They did have an external mirror though.

I did explain that in that story. It was pretty well known around the trade in the early sixties, my father was a 'backyard' car dealer for several years, so I got to hear about it.

Any advance on the Ralph Sach suggestion, by the way? I simply don't remember him racing a Holden, but I noticed tonight in the report on the race photographed that he was mentioned in his green Holden. I don't think any other car colours were mentioned.

As for the 'extra horses' of the EH... they certainly had them. I think the EJ was 85bhp, the 149 was about 100 and the 179 was 115. Much more willing to drive... take it from someone who drove both new.