Early Holden racing

• Please log in to reply
1252 replies to this topic

#1001 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:28

Originally posted by Dick Willis
Brian Muir's Humpy at Lakeside International, 1962, what make of carbs does it have ? Are they dual throat downdraught Webers ? Is this the same car later raced by Spencer Martin ? I had an idea Spencer's car had 3 SU's.

Posted Image

Ray assures me he changed the carbies as soon as he started preparing the car for Muiro, Dick...

But you and I both know that can't be right. I'm sure I saw either current pics of those carbies (which means it had to be December 1961 or later) or saw them in the metal (had to be October '62 or later) in Muir's car.

Anyway, he doesn't know what Webers they were, but they were Webers. Possibly off some Fiat? The engine was originally built for Ian Geoghegan, by the way.

Ray fitted triple SUs, 1½" SUs. They would still have been there when Max got it. The S4 had triple DCOEs, of course.

Edited by Ray Bell, 31 January 2012 - 08:35.

Advertisement

#1002 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:31

Originally posted by Dick Willis
.....Not sure whose car it is but is that Des West on the rh side with the hat on ?

Posted Image

Max reckons it's him and Warren Weldon...

#1003 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 23:01

Max reckons it's him and Warren Weldon...

Intriguing can of "lubricant" being used by the possible W.W. person.Anyone recognise it from 1961 ? something Lager.

#1004 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 00:04

Intriguing can of "lubricant" being used by the possible W.W. person.Anyone recognise it from 1961 ? something Lager.

An early Fosters Lager can released in the late 50's. (Google Images "1950's Fosters Lager cans")

Edited by wagons46, 01 February 2012 - 00:25.

#1005 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:53

The man with the can is MAX?????? :eek:

#1006 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:02

I don't think so...

Warren Weldon with the can, Max in the hat.

#1007 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:52

So whose car do you think it is Ray ?

#1008 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:06

Even Max doesn't know whose it is...

He's sure it's not his car, it could be Weldon's or it could be someone else's.

#1009 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:51

Even Max doesn't know whose it is...

From the photo we can see that it is Summertime and racing/practice is over for the day.

The car is possibly dark green or black in colour. which matches colours used by either driver.

Neither seems to be actually working on the car, so perhaps just having a chat.

The headlights are covered with masking tape rather than electrical tape, so who used this method.

I would suggest 1963 or earlier.

So does this help anyone identify the car's owner?

My guess.......W.W.

#1010 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:16

The date on the back of the photo is 1961 at Warwick Farm, probably the International meeting, late Jan/early Feb as it was the only WF meeting I attended in 1961.

Another one from the same meeting, Bruce McPhee's FE with a pair of 1 3/4 SU's

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#1011 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:22

That leaves Max out as the possible owner, he didn't buy his car until mid-1962...

Was Warren Weldon running that early?

And did Bruce McPhee retain two carbs for the life of his car? I think he went to triples somewhere along the way.

#1012 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 611 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 20:37

The date on the back of the photo is 1961 at Warwick Farm, probably the International meeting, late Jan/early Feb as it was the only WF meeting I attended in 1961.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quite easy to see is the 3 Master Cylinders mounted on the firewall, were any other Holdens of the day running split brakeing systems or brake balancing.

#1013 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 611 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 20:43

If I remember correctly McPhee run a hydroulic carby operating system at one time, could this be the reason for the 3 master cylinders.

#1014 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 21:39

If I remember correctly McPhee run a hydroulic carby operating system at one time, could this be the reason for the 3 master cylinders.

That's right. Bruce had trouble with the engine moving in the rubber mounts, which altered the throttle opening, with the mechanical lever set-up. The hydraulic 'linkage' gave much smoother control.

#1015 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 22:14

That's right. Bruce had trouble with the engine moving in the rubber mounts, which altered the throttle opening, with the mechanical lever set-up. The hydraulic 'linkage' gave much smoother control.

Had he not heard of a cable? Does exactly the same thing. And a throttle with 1" bore cylinders would be impossible as it would be super 'quick' I feel that is a balance bar for the brakes which as Dick said would have ben unusual on a sedan at the time.

#1016 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 00:50

There was a 3 page story with photos on Bruce's FE with this exact configuration in Sports Car World March 1962.

I don't think Warren Weldon was racing before late 62 or early 63 which means that the car he and Max are looking at was not his or, the photo is from a later period. I lean towards the latter as I think triple SU's were not being used until this time. If the photo is from a later time I still think it is W.W.'s black Holden with the white patches under the headlights (1963).

#1017 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:23

I've been meaning to get on with scanning my old photos for the Personal Photos thread.

I found these which are marked Oran Park 1962;

Warren Weldon;

Posted Image

#1018 smeetsie

smeetsie

• 45 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:52

RE AMAL CARBS.

I understood these to be "gravity feed" for use in motorbikes with tanks above engine location.
I ran x4 Amals on a Corolla K series motor some 40 years ago. I had a return line for fuel to reduce pressure and stopped all flooding problems. According to (I think Motolab dyno) mechanic, they were the closest thing to fuel injection you could get.....and cheap. A friend had them too and used a header tank (of fuel) with SU float bowl top - mounted on firewall. We used to stick these engines in Morry Minors. Turned them into 100mph plus rockets. Upgraded brakes to Major etc too ofcourse.

Smeetsie

#1019 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:52

I suspect that "1962" may be a typo; I have checked the digital folder with this and other Oran Park images and it is marked "1963".

I no longer have the prints but I will check with the historian to whom I gave them; there will be a year written on the back.

My apologies for creating confusion; the man was correct in saying that "The evil that men do lives after them ... ".

Edit; I am told that the photo is undated; it is simply marked "Warren Weldon, Oran Park".

So the date is unresolved; it's either 1962 or 1963. :(

Again, my apologies to future historians.

Edited by plannerpower, 03 February 2012 - 20:18.

Advertisement

#1020 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:22

No problem, as I mentioned earlier I thought it was 1963. I simply wanted to quote your photo to visually show the car I think we are talking about.

I just happened to notice the Total stripe under the drivers name on the bonnet of Weldons car. I still have one of these from way back then. There were thousands issued through Total Service Stations and any young fellows car had to have a Total stripe. IIRC it signified you being a supporter of the Total Team, Frank Matich and the Geoghegans, and others from time to time.

Edited by wagons46, 03 February 2012 - 04:32.

#1021 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 611 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:28

I can remember 1-1/4 & 1-1/2 SU being used as a tripple set up on Holdens in 1959/60 at Huntley Hill Climb with a sprinkling of Amals as well, most were using 3 x 1-1/4 SU in this period.

#1022 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:35

I can remember 1-1/4 & 1-1/2 SU being used as a tripple set up on Holdens in 1959/60 at Huntley Hill Climb with a sprinkling of Amals as well, most were using 3 x 1-1/4 SU in this period.

Somebody should have told Brian Muir and Bruce McPhee!

#1023 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:44

An item in The Holden Story.

" ..FC Holden.....A modified throttle linkage was introduced to stop throttle valve opening
variations caused by engine vibrations"

Must have been a problem that appeared with the FE, I don't recall it on humpies.I daresay it
was a cheaper modification than Bruce McPhee's !

#1024 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,757 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:08

Had he not heard of a cable? Does exactly the same thing. And a throttle with 1" bore cylinders would be impossible as it would be super 'quick' I feel that is a balance bar for the brakes which as Dick said would have ben unusual on a sedan at the time.

Whether you approve or not, Bruce McPhee's FE had a hydraulic throttle, and not a balance bar.

#1025 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:47

Bruce McPhee was always an innovator...

It came from wheeling and dealing in military surplus stuff. At one stage he tendered to buy many thousands of gallons of diesel fuel contaminated with seawater. Then he had to separate it so it would be useful, which he did. He machined down aircraft wheels to put real 'mags' onto his HD X2 road car, and to protect the magnesium from errant dogs he had a coil rigged up... need I explain?

#1026 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57

" ..FC Holden.....A modified throttle linkage was introduced to stop throttle valve opening

Must have been a problem that appeared with the FE, I don't recall it on humpies.I daresay it

I never had those problems on my road FEs. Ever. With single, twin, or triple carbys, all with mechanical linkages. Though I did strike it a bit at Rallycross on the then X2 carbied engine HR. And just lived with it.
Bruce may have used a hydraulic throttle but not with a 1" master cylinder. Even a 5/8 would be too big, even with a very small slave cylinder.
So triple 1" [Holden] cylinders would be for brakes and clutch

#1027 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:12

You just never know what Bruce might have had for a slave cylinder...

Remember, all that stuff in his backyard. Tanks, trucks, jeeps, machinery, tools, he could have had something just right for the 1" master cylinder.

#1028 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:26

I well recall having the same problem on my road-going FJ. On several occassions I had to put a new head-gasket on after an un-intentional over-rev due to engine movement on the mounts....

#1029 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,757 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 20:10

The hydraulic throttle modification was outside the Appendix 'J' rules. That's probably one of the main reasons for McPhee's FE being classed as Appendix 'K'. I think Bruce was happier running in 'K'....... with nice smooth throttle control.

#1030 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:53

For the latest instalment of Old Holden Racing,be at Phillip Island Historics 9-10-11 March.Rob Southouse FX, Phil Barrow FJ, Eddie Dobbs FE (ex Graeme Blanchard). Plus EHs,and other "late model" Holdens ,and many fascinating old grey motor powered sports and racing entries.Entry list
now on www.vhrr.com

Edited by johnny yuma, 28 February 2012 - 01:57.

#1031 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 21:55

For the latest instalment of Old Holden Racing,be at Phillip Island Historics 9-10-11 March.Rob Southouse FX, Phil Barrow FJ, Eddie Dobbs FE (ex Graeme Blanchard). Plus EHs,and other "late model" Holdens ,and many fascinating old grey motor powered sports and racing entries.Entry list
now on www.vhrr.com

Why on earth did they put the competitors list in that fashion. By number instead of class.
And who is going. I am as a crew on three of those late model Holdens!

#1032 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:59

Why on earth did they put the competitors list in that fashion. By number instead of class.
And who is going. I am as a crew on three of those late model Holdens!

Perhaps the "number list only" is encouragement to buy a program...but that's OK it's always a good read !
Which Holdens are you crewing on Lee ?

#1033 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:03

Perhaps the "number list only" is encouragement to buy a program...but that's OK it's always a good read !
Which Holdens are you crewing on Lee ?

The three SA XU1s

#1034 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:03

Found a box of my father's slides on the weekend and found a shot with some relevance to this thread. The HQ Monaro 308 GTS shown belonged (and still does to this day - he will never part with it) to Frank Manley who raced an FC Holden in Tassy circa 1965. As many Australians on the site will know, the merchant ship Lake Illawarra ran into the Tasman Bridge in Hobart one night in 1975. A large section of the bridge collapsed and I think 7 cars and occupants (including my doctor at the time) plunged to their death. Frank Manley and his wife in the HQ, and the driver of the FB wagon managed to both pull up in this position........... To say they were lucky is a massive understatement!

Posted Image

#1035 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:59

We have seen photos of these two vehicles in this predicament before and we know the story so we are somewhat accustomed to the scene ,but what was going on in the minds of the two drivers just a fraction of a second before they arrived at this point and then to be confronted with this. Would you believe what your eyes were telling you, or how close you were to death. Certainly a once in a lifetime experience.

#1036 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:39

We have seen photos of these two vehicles in this predicament before and we know the story so we are somewhat accustomed to the scene ,but what was going on in the minds of the two drivers just a fraction of a second before they arrived at this point and then to be confronted with this. Would you believe what your eyes were telling you, or how close you were to death. Certainly a once in a lifetime experience.

Maybe "dammit, I just greased the steering linkages ! " or some such laconic Aussie remark !

#1037 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:56

Along with a quick prayer that nobody would come up behind them!

The whole thing was a shocking disaster, incredible that Frank Manley has kept that car...

#1038 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:47

Found a box of my father's slides on the weekend and found a shot with some relevance to this thread. The HQ Monaro 308 GTS shown belonged (and still does to this day - he will never part with it) to Frank Manley who raced an FC Holden in Tassy circa 1965. As many Australians on the site will know, the merchant ship Lake Illawarra ran into the Tasman Bridge in Hobart one night in 1975. A large section of the bridge collapsed and I think 7 cars and occupants (including my doctor at the time) plunged to their death. Frank Manley and his wife in the HQ, and the driver of the FB wagon managed to both pull up in this position........... To say they were lucky is a massive understatement!

Posted Image

From memory the EK wagon belonged to the Bellerieve newsagent. Murray Ling?
My mother missed that by a few minutes, she had been over the bridge and when she got home to Austins Ferry found out the bridge was down

#1039 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:05

She was lucky Lee...... I know a few people in a similar position. I was camping with my girlfriend up on Maria Island at the time - such a huge shock when we drove down to the esplanade at Rose Bay and saw the broken bridge. There was a guy out walking along the waterfront when it happened and the roadway hitting the water caused a 3 foot wave to break off the point just along from where we lived.

Advertisement

#1040 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:12

She was lucky Lee...... I know a few people in a similar position. I was camping with my girlfriend up on Maria Island at the time - such a huge shock when we drove down to the esplanade at Rose Bay and saw the broken bridge. There was a guy out walking along the waterfront when it happened and the roadway hitting the water caused a 3 foot wave to break off the point just along from where we lived.

I was over there a few months after, the goat track around past Baskerville with all the traffic was a disaster for a while.
I heard about some people fishing on the Bellerieve jetty who got a scare.
And I even played the 'Ferryboat Shuffle'

#1041 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 486 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:38

This is very much OT in regard to the subject, but seeing as the Tasman Bridge incident has been raised .....
I lived at Mt Nelson at the time & can still remember the sight from the Mt Nelson lookout first thing next morning, the shattered bridge with cables hanging down, cars parked on the edge etc.
Had two friends that were closley involved on the night, one crossed the bridge with the boat 'just down there' (ie very close) & the other trying to cross to get a pizza from the western shore & being passed by a police car on the bridge approach who stopped all traffic from proceeding.
Subsequent vehicular access to the eastern shore was restricted to a gravel road along the foreshore from Bridgewater to Risdon, or the various Tea Tree roads,via Cambridge, until the Bailey Bridge & new East Derwent Hwy came into play.

#1042 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:53

This is very much OT in regard to the subject, but seeing as the Tasman Bridge incident has been raised .....
I lived at Mt Nelson at the time & can still remember the sight from the Mt Nelson lookout first thing next morning, the shattered bridge with cables hanging down, cars parked on the edge etc.
Had two friends that were closley involved on the night, one crossed the bridge with the boat 'just down there' (ie very close) & the other trying to cross to get a pizza from the western shore & being passed by a police car on the bridge approach who stopped all traffic from proceeding.
Subsequent vehicular access to the eastern shore was restricted to a gravel road along the foreshore from Bridgewater to Risdon, or the various Tea Tree roads,via Cambridge, until the Bailey Bridge & new East Derwent Hwy came into play.

Old Beach Rd?
Mt Nelson Rd, a good hillclimb course. Though probably a bit repetitive after a while.
My uncle used that one a lot as chief engineer at 7HO. Plus I had friends live about 2/3 up.

#1043 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 486 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:11

Old Beach Rd?
Mt Nelson Rd, a good hillclimb course.

Not sure that the original gravel road had a name, we used it in trials however before it became the 'thoroughfare'.
If you're referring to the '7 bends' Nelson Rd, it was never used as a hillclimb, but there were some memorable trips downhill from Mt Nelson to Wrest Point. Maybe thinking of Proctors Rd that was used as a Targa stage for a few years?

#1044 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 21:19

Yes the gravel road was commonly called Old Beach Rd and was the main route to Baskerville for Eastern Shore residents. I worked at a market garden on the water there during school holidays when I was in 2nd year at Rosny Matric. It was bedlam for a while when the bridge went down and ferries became the norm for travel across the Derwent as the round trip to Bridgewater was long and tedious. I'd just started my first job in the Aerial Photo section at the Lands Dept in Davey St so "ferry boat shuffle" became the normal way of life. Actually changed things for the better on the Eastern Shore in a lot of ways, not the least being less crowded out in the surf without the "westies" around! We finally had Old Beach Rd upgraded to bitumen, new 2nd bridge, etc,etc.

#1045 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,886 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:17

Not sure that the original gravel road had a name, we used it in trials however before it became the 'thoroughfare'.
If you're referring to the '7 bends' Nelson Rd, it was never used as a hillclimb, but there were some memorable trips downhill from Mt Nelson to Wrest Point. Maybe thinking of Proctors Rd that was used as a Targa stage for a few years?

No it was never used as a hillclimb, it would make a good venue though. Just all those pesky residents to get upset!

I had driven Old Beach road while exploring years before the bridge went down. There was a speedway out there somewhere too, under houses now. I saw a few earlys raced [and wrecked] there, and racing Customlines etc etc. In about 1970 or 71

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 02 August 2012 - 07:22.

#1046 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:58

From memory Bridgewater Speedway opened in 1970. We were at the first meeting (and the first meeting at Richmond in 1968) and it was quite a good venue. Saw a great Grand National meeting under lights there in maybe 1972 with all the mainland hot shots there up against all our locals - Gene Cook, Chas Kelly, Nev Harper etc,etc. Best speedway racing I'd ever seen - really torrid racing.

#1047 weddo

weddo

• 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:00

Posted Image

And Frank is still having fun with his FE Holden race car -- last year at Baskerville Historics Meeting

Posted Image
Posted Image

regards

Weddo

#1048 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 611 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:26

And Frank is still having fun with his FE Holden race car -- last year at Baskerville Historics Meeting

I wonder if the Strombergs are running the Adjustable Main Jet set up that was very popular in the 1960,s, love the rear Ram Tube.

#1049 2Bob

2Bob

• 406 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:39

love the rear Ram Tube

Not to mention the complete 1960's tool set.

#1050 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,757 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:53

Not to mention the complete 1960's tool set.

Yep, everything thing you need....including Tassy socket set [for tappet adjusting], and cordless hammer.