Photo

Early Holden racing

• Please log in to reply
1264 replies to this topic

#1051 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:48

Frank still intact and firing on all cylinders (unlike his car on the day) with his old 60's license and helmet and into his early 80's.....a real charcater

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1052 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,422 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:02

My nephew sings the praises of that adjustable main jet too...

He uses them in HQ engines.

#1053 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:26

Ray,
Yes, back then nothing impressed your mates more than one of these hanging from the bottom of the float bowl. :cool:
The Phil Irving mod of enlarging the air bleed holes [the dome in the carb throat]. Taken out in stages ie for twin and triple strombergs was more scientific :)
The 6" shifter for adjusting the tappets, surely even a '60's tool kit could improve on this?
Did anyone out there modify their Holden rocker adjusters by fitting the Falcon 'jam thread' type sans lock nut? You could do your tappets with one hand behind your back. :)

#1054 weddo

weddo

• 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:01

Yep, everything thing you need....including Tassy socket set [for tappet adjusting], and cordless hammer.

Um...I know I shouldn't show it, but this was Franks tool kit for the day. Dam cool tool kit!, but he is still havin fun and getting help.

Posted Image

regards

Weddo

#1055 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,837 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 20:40

Wonderful shots there, weddo.

Really like the one where Frank is holding his old CAMS licence.........I've got one like that, only it's got a photo of some young bloke on it. :lol:

#1056 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 21:43

Great shots Ellis and Weddo. The kitchen sink must be underneath the tarp..... behind the kettle box. Good to see he's still got a full head of hair - from memory he used to sport a pretty snappy Mexican moustache back in the 70's.

#1057 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:23

I wonder if the Strombergs are running the Adjustable Main Jet set up that was very popular in the 1960,s, love the rear Ram Tube.

Frank Living Legend!!!,

I have it on very good authority that on some occasions like Longford Frank didnt even use a main jet at all!!

#1058 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:27

Frank Living Legend!!!,

I have it on very good authority that on some occasions like Longford Frank didnt even use a main jet at all!!

Geez, Tom,
I'd like to see that ????

#1059 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:54

Geez, Tom,
I'd like to see that ????

Honest to god it’s the truth, I could not believe it myself, had I not taken the screwdriver to the carby with my own hand I wouldn’t have believed it. To Frank’s great credit, he proceeded to the trunk pulled out a toolbox full of rusty spanners and detritus and from the dark depths of the box came a jet? I assumed it must have been a grey jet and was going to be better than what WASNT fitted and proceeded to install it. A quick bang with the hammer on the starter and a twist of the Ocky strap holding the gear lever in place and off he went. That was until the wheel nuts came loose and he had to jump into the pits for a tweak of the nuts.

I absolutely am Franks greatest fan. I tell everyone that I have shaken the hand of the luckiest man on the planet, that is never in dispute. Despite that he will live till he is 100 as he is never going to die from a stress related disorder. Next time you all see him send him my regards.

Advertisement

#1060 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 00:25

I absolutely am Franks greatest fan. I tell everyone that I have shaken the hand of the luckiest man on the planet, that is never in dispute. Despite that he will live till he is 100 as he is never going to die from a stress related disorder. Next time you all see him send him my regards.
[/quote]

Thomas

At this years Longford Revival he got well into triple figures down the flying mile ...(still not quite BMH speed)....and his smile was wider than ever.
Some good samaritans in Hobart gave his old car engine some knowlegable TLC and fitted 2 new carbs after his unsuccessful
trip to Baskerville Historics in 2011 where he did about 3 laps in 3 days and went home a tad disheartenned ...but still smiling.
I printed him an A4 copy of the pic I took with his old license and posted it to him and rang a few days later to make sure he got it.
It was in pride of place on his mantle piece.

Frank for PM

Ellis

#1061 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,247 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:44

I am not sure about now but they were illegal for HQ. A proper jet is more efficient always.

#1062 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:24

I am not sure about now but they were illegal for HQ. A proper jet is more efficient always.

They were legal in HQs when I was racing them (1990 to 2000) The CAMS manual said jets were free and an adjustable jet may be fitted.
Even then we still needed to drill out the big jet that came with the adjustable kit.

#1063 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,422 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:47

I can assure you of this...

If Ben used it, it was legal.

#1064 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:35

Thomas

At this years Longford Revival he got well into triple figures down the flying mile ...(still not quite BMH speed)....and his smile was wider than ever.
Some good samaritans in Hobart gave his old car engine some knowlegable TLC and fitted 2 new carbs after his unsuccessful
trip to Baskerville Historics in 2011 where he did about 3 laps in 3 days and went home a tad disheartenned ...but still smiling.
I printed him an A4 copy of the pic I took with his old license and posted it to him and rang a few days later to make sure he got it.
It was in pride of place on his mantle piece.

Frank for PM

Ellis

I hope the people of Tasmania and the rest of Australia, appreciate what we have in Frank. I think we should at this juncture also acknowledge his good wife, who I’m supremely confident, is the source of the original race license. I know the good lady is much more into keeping good house than our Frank, this can be adjudged by the state of the ute!!

We all have a stalwart of the sport in each state that has been at it for a life time and continues well into their twilight years, Clem Dwyer did well into his 80’s here in the west, but with Frank you get the one of the real characters, most states have them too and some are quite famous in the sport, but a more humble person one could not find. Club level racer, and luckiest man alive.

In learning that others pitched in and gave the Holden a tweak so that he got to triple figures at Longford warms the heart.

I wonder what the speed comparison is from his early days at Longford???

#1065 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,422 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:53

Well, that wouldn't count, would it?

After all, up until 1968 they all got a run onto the climb to the straight through Newry Corner, I'm sure they don't do that now.

#1066 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:07

Well, that wouldn't count, would it?

After all, up until 1968 they all got a run onto the climb to the straight through Newry Corner, I'm sure they don't do that now.

Quite correct, one would get at least 30MPH head start coming off the corner, Frank would get 40mph by using the grass and the ditch as well!!

The start line isnt that far from the corner and still has a small incline before you get onto the straight.

#1067 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 23:15

The locals still got a late evening / early morning run up well after 1968.

A decent run up is still there out of Illawarra Rd and turning left up the Hill which they could
have used at the Revival but obviously not as fast as coming off the bridge.

They banned late model motorcycle entries at the 2nd Revival due to their hi speed passes...without a run up...close to 300kph

Edited by Ellis French, 22 August 2012 - 23:22.

#1068 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:58

In 1965 the quickest early model timed on the Flying Mile was John Zeigler at 107 mph, Garth Wigston was 105 and John Goss was 99. Frank didn't get a mention in the Longford report but I did have him as a handicap winner at a 1965 Baskerville meeting. Bruce McLaren by comparison, was quickest of the Tasman cars at 169 mph in the Cooper Climax.
That's pretty amazing speed from the bikes Ellis, especially when Chris Amon clocked 182 mph with a run-up in the P4.........

#1069 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:05

In 1965 the quickest early model timed on the Flying Mile was John Zeigler at 107 mph, Garth Wigston was 105 and John Goss was 99. Frank didn't get a mention in the Longford report but I did have him as a handicap winner at a 1965 Baskerville meeting. Bruce McLaren by comparison, was quickest of the Tasman cars at 169 mph in the Cooper Climax.
That's pretty amazing speed from the bikes Ellis, especially when Chris Amon clocked 182 mph with a run-up in the P4.........

An F40 has been faster...unoficially ...in a timed Targa run

#1070 weddo

weddo

• 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:18

An F40 has been faster...unoficially ...in a timed Targa run

Makes my 95 mph from a standing start in my FC at the revival two years ago seem strangely slow.

regards

Weddo

#1071 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:31

Makes my 95 mph from a standing start in my FC at the revival two years ago seem strangely slow.

regards

Weddo

That was from a standing start and measured at the midpoint!! Takes a long time to wind those old greys up, I can not find the poster trophy thing I got and I think I got to 100MPH but only once? The results were published somewhere but I for the life of me can not fnd them.

#1072 weddo

weddo

• 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:44

That was from a standing start and measured at the midpoint!! Takes a long time to wind those old greys up, I can not find the poster trophy thing I got and I think I got to 100MPH but only once? The results were published somewhere but I for the life of me can not fnd them.

I can remember when you cracked the 100 after a few wheel size changes, it was all worth while and well done

regards

Weddo

#1073 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:26

I can remember when you cracked the 100 after a few wheel size changes, it was all worth while and well done

regards

Weddo

Yes that’s right, the white side wall fatties on the racer!! It might have looked a bit awkward but they did the trick on the day, they were dreadfully hard and very snaky of the line but they did the trick, I found the letter from Octagon it was 167kms/hour at the speed trap.
Wasnt going to crack the ton with 6.00 15's and 3.36 ratio from Phillip Island and I only had 3.3 ratio spare with me, I should have taken the 3.98 CIG locker and would have been far better off.

#1074 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 22:03

Yes that’s right, the white side wall fatties on the racer!! It might have looked a bit awkward but they did the trick on the day, they were dreadfully hard and very snaky of the line but they did the trick, I found the letter from Octagon it was 167kms/hour at the speed trap.
Wasnt going to crack the ton with 6.00 15's and 3.36 ratio from Phillip Island and I only had 3.3 ratio spare with me, I should have taken the 3.98 CIG locker and would have been far better off.

The aforementioned Whitewalls..........

Posted Image

#1075 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,422 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 21:48

Sadly we note the passing of one of the front-runners in these cars at their peak...

Warren Weldon died last night.

#1076 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 23:28

Sadly we note the passing of one of the front-runners in these cars at their peak...

Although I never saw him race in the heyday of early holdens,his image as a buccaneering,talented racing driver and pot stirrer comes through from photos and stories.Understand he won the last race ever run at Oran Park in an Evo.Got a mate recollecting W.W. stories ,hopefully to post.

#1077 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,837 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 23:50

How sad. Only yesterday, at Eastern Creek, we [Alf & Harry Bargwanna & I] were talking about Des Wall and his brain tumor operation, then Warren became the topic of discussion. We ended up calling a halt to it, as we realised how many old mates we are losing.

#1078 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,106 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:17

Early Holdens became very popular in speedway when production sedan racing became popular from the mid 1960's onwards.
Here is J Lane's FJ stock rod after a roll at the Windsor RSL Speedway, circa 1966.

Posted Image

#1079 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,247 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:08

Lots of them had that happen, and a lot raced again the next week, and on occasion next race.

Advertisement

#1080 wagons46

wagons46

• 274 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:12

Obviously this sad news is not relevant to a nostalgia forum, particularly in a thread on Early Holdens. There has been 3 posts here and 3 in the Mentioned in Passing thread. I have seen more interest in a decal or a screw shape .

Surely this man deserves better.

Our non-Australian members are excused.

Edited by wagons46, 28 August 2012 - 01:17.

#1081 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,837 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:07

I agree, wagons......better get things started.

#1082 wagons46

wagons46

• 274 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:14

After a 12 month wait the Boomerang Holden Story is in the current Unique Cars magazine,#345.
Not as long or detailed as I was hoping, but still an interesting read on a 'unique' racing Early Holden in Australia.
Some great photos to jog the memory as well.

#1083 Stinky

Stinky

• 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:23

Hullo Guys;
Talking about the Tasman Bridge disaster the Monaro hanging over the edge is now on display at the National Automobile Museum
88 Cimitiere Street Launceston.
It will be there for approximately 3 months.
An interesting point,the car is still owned by the original owner who crawled out of the car with his wife.
Cheers.
Roger. ;)

#1084 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 647 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:14

Hullo Guys;
Talking about the Tasman Bridge disaster the Monaro hanging over the edge is now on display at the National Automobile Museum
88 Cimitiere Street Launceston.
It will be there for approximately 3 months.
An interesting point,the car is still owned by the original owner who crawled out of the car with his wife.
Cheers.
Roger.;)

Went to the Museum last week the Monaro is in mint condition & is displayed very well, my pick of cars at the Museum was a Daimler SP250 followed by a very well restored MG TF.

#1085 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:24

We see mention of the 'Top' Holden drivers quite often. I recall some Holden drivers of the early days, that perhaps were not at the 'pointy end', but made the racing interesting, such as:-

Jan Harris
Brian Darcy
John Halcrow
Tom Thompson
Ken Braddock
Peter Burnett
John? Goddard

Who else?

#1086 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:00

We see mention of the 'Top' Holden drivers quite often. I recall some Holden drivers of the early days, that perhaps were not at the 'pointy end', but made the racing interesting, such as:-

Jan Harris
Brian Darcy
John Halcrow
Tom Thompson
Ken Braddock
Peter Burnett
John? Goddard

Who else?

Don Smith, Herb Taylor, Bruce Wilkinson, Warren Weldon, Graeme Blanchard, Kingsley Hibbard, Graham Moore, and a guy whose name escapes me but he drove an EH very quickly despite having an artificial leg

#1087 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:11

Ken Lindsay, and what about the hill-climb crowd:-
Tommy Edwards, Brian Mayman, Alf & Harry Bargwanna, Colin & Denis Deer, Terry Crew....

#1088 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,247 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:27

The Bargwarnas are still racing in Gp N, I am surprised they have no been joined by the offspring.

#1089 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 805 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:18

Another unknown but 50 years later he is still racing.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#1090 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:42

.......And will remain unknown, unless you tell us who it is, Dick. :lol:

#1091 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:18

Went to the Museum last week the Monaro is in mint condition & is displayed very well, my pick of cars at the Museum was a Daimler SP250 followed by a very well restored MG TF.

I likes this old girl :love:

Posted Image

#1092 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,422 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:43

Pat Clarke sent me some photos to post... he didn't know their source, but I believe I have worked that out...

Warren Weldon leads John Hall:

Posted Image

Weldon being pressed:

Posted Image

Bruce Stewart:

Posted Image

John Buchelin:

Posted Image

This could be Brian Donovan leading, Graham Moore is the third car:

Posted Image

Sorry, Buchelin is still going:

Posted Image

And he wasn't the only one to get out of shape:

Posted Image

But at least he was comprehensive:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, this photo appears in RCN in June 1965 in the May 2 Oran Park report...

Posted Image

It's identified as being from Bruce Wells and carries the caption, "Anybody care to change places? Not a good spot for Bruce Stewart to spin, in Energol, with Ron Clarke right behind him, and Weldon, Barnes and Selby looking for a way through." The race report mentions Bruce spinning and that Weldon is in Brian Mayman's car.

But they don't mention this:

Posted Image

No wonder Bruce spun!

Edited by Ray Bell, 01 January 2013 - 11:46.

#1093 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 282 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:21

If you go to The Roaring Season forum and look for The Bruce Wells Collection you will see many more great photos. There are four parts on Oran Park, there is Lakeside , Catalina, Hume Weir and now Warwick Farm. Stunning photos.

Dale.

#1094 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,247 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:00

Posted Image

Yeah, but he has faster toys now.

#1095 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:28

I likes this old girl :love:

Posted Image

Come on then! Enlighten those of us who haven't been there (and are unlikely to), what is it?

#1096 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:30

Posted Image

I know nothing of the Australian scene. Is it your good self? :confused:

#1097 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 805 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 00:51

Spot on, Duncan.

#1098 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:51

I know nothing of the Australian scene. Is it your good self? :confused:

Oran Park CC Tyers ??????

#1099 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:46

Can't recall that hayshed.Over to Bruce.

Have Oran Park program from 4 July 1965,two months later.The over 1600 Appendix J race has some Victorians
visiting in old holdens.Norm Gown,Terry Allan in a S4,Garry Rogers,Graham Ritter,Brian Murphy,David Price,
David Bolger.
NSW Holdens include Robert Wilkinson EH,Midge Bosworth,Bruce Stewart,Alan Barrow,Don Smith,John Hall all in
2540cc ( or bigger) humpies.
John Buchelin had entered ,but due to May rollover out of the Dufor Dogleg depicted in above posts, guess he was
not going anywhere in car 13 (bad number choice ?).Looking at the posted photos blown up it appears the driver side
rear tyre is deflated,and the detachable rear guard has done just that when it copped full lean on a flat tyre at high
speed downhill (probably had evil lowering blocks)and the self tapping screws all ripped out as the old girl lowered
her skirts and tripped over.He sure covered a good distance...the roof held up pretty well,imagine there was no rollbar,
it was 1965 !!

Advertisement

#1100 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 805 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:35

[quote name='DanTra2858' date='Jan 2 2013, 14:51' post='6085214']

Lowood, 9/9/1962