Photo

LEW 1 S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

#1 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:01

No points for guessing who bought that registration number for more than £200,000 :eek:

http://www.telegraph...mber-plate.html

Advertisement

#2 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:02

Idiot :rotfl:

#3 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:03

In finland Kim-1 register plate maybe costs 1000euros max :lol: 200000pounds? :rotfl:

#4 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:07

^^Interesting concept bogi

So is the guy a Mr Bob Lewis that bought it originally for £50,000 an idiot too?

#5 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:08

Originally posted by Fatgadget
No points for guessing who bought that registration number for more than £200,000 :eek:

If he has a British registered car, he will need to insure it in the UK. The British insurance companies will only continue the foreign insurance for about 6 months. To get Swiss insurance, you have to get it registered in Switzerland.

I know because I had to go through all of this.

#6 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:10

Goes to show you can take the boy out of chaville (east herts), but you can't take the chav out of the boy.

#7 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:14

Originally posted by kar
Goes to show you can take the boy out of chaville (east herts), but you can't take the chav out of the boy.

Really kar. So what do you make of Sir Jackie Stewarts JYS 1 personal number plate?

#8 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:14

When I was last in the UK I did see a really cool plate though. It was an Aston Martin DB9 with the reg A5TON.

#9 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:17

^^Interesting concept bogi

So is the guy a Mr Bob Lewis that bought it originally for £50,000 an idiot too?

Yes he is.

#10 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:19

Good old Lewis. Let him spend on the things that please him. Hopefully he'll get to hang the plate on the front of the McLaren LM-GTR Uncle Ron has promised after he wins this year's championship and next.

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:22

Really kar. So what do you make of Sir Jackie Stewarts JYS 1 personal number plate?

Christ that's even more vulgar.

#12 paffett4F1

paffett4F1

• 452 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:24

Originally posted by Josta

If he has a British registered car, he will need to insure it in the UK. The British insurance companies will only continue the foreign insurance for about 6 months. To get Swiss insurance, you have to get it registered in Switzerland.

I know because I had to go through all of this.

I would imagine Lewis will be able to get a personally tailored insurance policy to cover that problem.

I think the registration itself will be more of an issue, for example, if you take a car to Spain you have to register it locally if it's there more than 6 months, I would imagine the Swiss have a similar rule.

#13 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:24

No, he wanted JYS 1 but wrote it as YJS 3 :)

#14 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:32

Originally posted by kar

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Christ that's even more vulgar.

Good to see the class system is alive and well.
I'm sure Lewis will park next to the car registered P1DDY.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:36

I don't think there's any class in waving your cock about via your numberplate, no.

#16 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:37

1 FEAR N0 RED L1TE would be more appropriate.

#17 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:39

Originally posted by potmotr

Good to see the class system is alive and well.

His other car has the reg C40KER

#18 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:40

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
I don't think there's any class in waving your cock about via your numberplate, no.

I think having that plate hanging off a McLaren F1 GTR LM would be a rather great symbol of prowess in that area.

#19 y2cragie

y2cragie

• 271 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:43

I think having that plate hanging off a McLaren F1 GTR LM would be a rather great symbol of prowess in that area.

If Ron values that F1 GTR which I think he does, I cant see him giving it up after last weeks incident. No matter what the deal.

Advertisement

#20 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

So by your view, the size of ones cock is directly linked to the size of your bank balance? Mrs Eclestone must be one happy lady.

#21 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

His other car has the reg C40KER

There must be 8UMPER in his garage too.

#22 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:44

Then Lewis said he was moving to Switzerland for privacy's sake... The mind boggles!

#23 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

You think lewis is a loser, I once saw a Suzuki Jimny with the reg plate J2MNY. Now buying a Jimny in the first place is bad enough, but wanting to put a registration plate on it celebrating the fact is doubly worse and then failing to get J1 MNY is a tripple dose of sadness.

Regards

4 NDY

#24 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Originally posted by kar

Well, as a (North) Hertforshire resident (Hitchin), I can tell you that Stevenage isn't really geographically east Herts, as this map shows.

You are quite right though that Stevenage has been quite tradionally chavvy for a long time.

Unfortunately, Stevenage (or even nearby Tewin, where LH is from) lacks an F1 circuit. Unlike the next, wonderful, town of Hitchin...

Private plates are generally quite tacky and style-free...little wonder that JYS has one! ...although given he cannot get through a complete sentence without using the words "corporate", "sponsors" or "the Royal family" it is a wonder he didn't buy a plate with "RBoS" on it.

#25 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:45

Originally posted by y2cragie

If Ron values that F1 GTR which I think he does, I cant see him giving it up after last weeks incident. No matter what the deal.

I don't think it would be any safer in Ron's hands. Remember when he crashed a brand new McLaren F1 while demonstrating it with Gerhard Berger in the passenger seat at Suzuka in 1993? Anything can be repaired for a price...

#26 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:46

Originally posted by y2cragie

Yepp, the Hamilton Family has been too vivid at writing off supercars recently.

#27 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:47

I don't think it would be any safer in Ron's hands. Remember when he crashed a brand new McLaren F1 while demonstrating it with Gerhard Berger in the passenger seat at Suzuka in 1993? Anything can be repaired for a price...

I'd love to see a clip of that :clap:

#28 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:47

So by your view, the size of ones cock is directly linked to the size of your bank balance? Mrs Eclestone must be one happy lady.

I think displaying conspicious wealth is a good way to snare a foxy lady who values such things. It isn't fair, but that's the way the world works.

#29 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:50

Originally posted by Johny Bravo

Yepp, the Hamilton Family has been too vivid at writing off supercars recently.

Oh come on, did you see the shots of the Porsche Anthony crashed.
The reports suggesting it was 'written off' were complete bullshit.
Sure, it was damaged a little, but very, very far from being a write off.

#30 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:50

I think displaying conspicious wealth is a good way to snare a foxy lady who values such things. It isn't fair, but that's the way the world works.

It still doesn't alter the size of your cock. If you want to pay for women there is a much easier way, ask Max.

#31 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:52

Well, Kimi's F2008 and LEW1S's mp4-23 were also very, very far from being a write off.

It's just they couldn't finish the race.

#32 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:56

I once pranged (into) a corvette with a ridiculous body kit on it. The car was a write off since the cost of fixing it was higher than it's insured worth. The damage, visually at least, appeared fairly superficial. But when fixing so many parts on modern cars means replacing whole panels sometimes a superficial accident can be very expensive.

#33 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:04

Originally posted by kar

I once pranged (into) a corvette with a ridiculous body kit on it. The car was a write off since the cost of fixing it was higher than it's insured worth. The damage, visually at least, appeared fairly superficial. But when fixing so many parts on modern cars means replacing whole panels sometimes a superficial accident can be very expensive.

I think when carbon fibre is involved the expense heads through the roof. I seem to remember some Aussie journalist crashing a Lamborghini during a road test a few years back and saying it cost AUD$15,000 to repair. But Anthony's crash looked like a few bend wheels and light panel damage.

#34 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:08

Originally posted by kar

TBH, it would have to be in a head on collision with a lorry to cost more than a quarter of a million quid to repair.

#35 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:12

:rotfl:

Well I do a certain amount of defending Lewis on here, but the stick he gets for this one he really has asked for :p .

F1Live put the boot in a little by setting it alongside Nick Heidfeld giving to charity, though I suppose that's also the difference between being a star, with a star's ego, and not. Room for both after all, the showman and Mr quiet nice guy. Hopefully by the time he's 30 Lewis will have a bit more perspective too.

#36 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:16

"News" like this would go very well here.

#37 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:18

Somebody somewhere is cursing the day they scrapped their 1978 Marina or Chevette.

Personal plates are just naff - nothing to do with class, more (lack of) style. Case in point: Jimmy Tarbuck.
Although the law has changed recently, we used to have the case where you could spend hundreds of thousands on a number plate, yet the maximum fine for displaying a wrong'un was £1000 :drunk:
Just stick anything on there and keep paying the fine!

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:20

Seriously? Illegal plates on the road in America will get you in all sorts of trouble.

#39 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:22

Originally posted by Garagiste
Somebody somewhere is cursing the day they scrapped their 1978 Marina or Chevette.

Personal plates are just naff - nothing to do with class, more (lack of) style. Case in point: Jimmy Tarbuck.
Although the law has changed recently, we used to have the case where you could spend hundreds of thousands on a number plate, yet the maximum fine for displaying a wrong'un was £1000 :drunk:
Just stick anything on there and keep paying the fine!

Cool. I would use the reg ARSE BISCU1TS.

Advertisement

#40 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:29

At least he finally got the no. 1 on his car

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:31

I'd like to park MOR 5E next to it.

#42 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:42

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If this ever happens I pray to god Sutton is there and ready.

#43 Schu-misser

Schu-misser

• 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:48

How will Hamilton get insurance for a car with a 200k numberplate on it? He's under 25 and a racing driver......surely there's no bigger insurance risk!! Hell, I'm under 25 and I get shafted for insurance and I've got a pretty sensible car and job!!

#44 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:49

Originally posted by Schu-misser
How will Hamilton get insurance for a car with a 200k numberplate on it? He's under 25 and a racing driver......surely there's no bigger insurance risk!! Hell, I'm under 25 and I get shafted for insurance and I've got a pretty sensible car and job!!

Company car maybe...

#45 Schu-misser

Schu-misser

• 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:51

Originally posted by MichaelPM
Company car maybe...

I'm gonna put some details through confused.co.uk and see what i'm quoted lol.

#46 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:52

The number plate can't be stolen. The physical object can be but Halfords will press one up for a twenty or so. The key is the DVLA form entitling him to the number.

Gordon Smiley (Indycar driver) had FLASH G as his number plate. :rolleyes: And there have been lots of famous personalized ones in the past in motor racing - DAD 10, CUT 7, OKV 3...just with a bit more imagination (do I remember FU 2?). Rosemeyer had something like 227227 as a vanity.

#47 Schu-misser

Schu-misser

• 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 14:01

Originally posted by ensign14

The number plate can't be stolen. The physical object can be but Halfords will press one up for a twenty or so. The key is the DVLA form entitling him to the number.

Gordon Smiley (Indycar driver) had FLASH G as his number plate. :rolleyes: And there have been lots of famous personalized ones in the past in motor racing - DAD 10, CUT 7, OKV 3...just with a bit more imagination (do I remember FU 2?). Rosemeyer had something like 227227 as a vanity.

Point taken, but I bet the lad still has a top of the range Merc to insure. They must have some kind of company insurance.....there's no way a highstreet insurer would touch him.

#48 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 511 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 14:03

Especially for a racing driver who ignores red lights and smashes into the parked car in front at 50 clicks an hour . :|

#49 kyriakos75

kyriakos75

• 438 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 14:06

He is still an amateur though compared to these guys:

http://edition.cnn.c...ates/index.html
http://edition.cnn.c...ref=videosearch

#50 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 14:13

I have a personalised numberplate.

Had to change my name to LM08 PVK, but it's swish as ****!