BMW Pitlane

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:03

http://66.196.80.202...u...hp/id/68406

The BMW pitlane is going to Manchester for the GP weekend.

Anyone know if they have more than one setup, or does this mean they will not be at Silverstone. Bit of a pisser if not. ):

Advertisement

#2 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:08

I don't quite get this. I find it very hard to believe that some goon in their marketing department sat down and thought "You know what, stuff the fact there will be 100,000+ people going to the British Grand Prix who are quite clearly into Formula 1. Lets take our pit lane park to that well known hotspot for motorsport er, Manchester!"

I enjoyed the BMW Pit Lane at Silverstone last year and was looking forward to it again. I doubt they have two of them, do they?

#3 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:18

Originally posted by dank
I don't quite get this. I find it very hard to believe that some goon in their marketing department sat down and thought "You know what, stuff the fact there will be 100,000+ people going to the British Grand Prix who are quite clearly into Formula 1. Lets take our pit lane park to that well known hotspot for motorsport er, Manchester!"

I enjoyed the BMW Pit Lane at Silverstone last year and was looking forward to it again. I doubt they have two of them, do they?

I thought exactly the same thing when I read about it. Maybe it was a manc that was in charge. "hey our John, I got a buzzin idea. Lets forget them southern poofs and do this motor thing down our end. Yeah, sound man"

#4 y2cragie

y2cragie

• 271 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:28

Please tell me that story was translated badly because otherwise I find it hard to believe..
As to why? To take F1 to the people who couldn't afford or couldn't get to silverstone for the GP.
People who otherwise may not have been fans are likely to go to it see this on the saturday buy up a bunch of merchandise and start supporting BMW on race day.
Whereas yes being at silverstone makes a great deal of sense as far as knowing your getting to your core fan base, the chances are, most of the people there are already fans, already been ripped off by the merchandisers and have already made up their minds who they support.
You dont bring in new fans by sticking to the race tracks, you do it by going to the people.

#5 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:29

Originally posted by Clatter
http://66.196.80.202...u...hp/id/68406

The BMW pitlane is going to Manchester for the GP weekend.

Anyone know if they have more than one setup, or does this mean they will not be at Silverstone. Bit of a pisser if not. ):

Let's hope no Rangers fans turn up to watch...espec if they have a big telly that fails. The reponse is likely to be somewhat unedifying.

#6 y2cragie

y2cragie

• 271 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:36

At least the guys in the cars will be able to escape quickly.

#7 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:05

a bit more detail....

http://en.f1-live.co...619122750.shtml

As the excitement builds for this year’s British Grand Prix in July, motorsport fans throughout the region are in for a high-octane surprise, as Formula One comes to Manchester (GB) for the first time ever.

To celebrate the highlight on the British motorsport calendar, the BMW Sauber F1 Team will install its interactive Pit Lane Park at the Trafford Centre from 4-6 July.

The Formula One theme park will be open to all visitors, free of charge and offers unrivalled access to the sounds, power and dynamics of the world’s most exhilarating and high-tech sport. Following the excitement of the team’s maiden Grand Prix victory in Canada last weekend, the BMW Sauber F1 Team will be striving for another thrilling race at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, on July 6.

The team’s Polish driver Robert Kubica currently leads the Drivers’ Championship, four points ahead of Lewis Hamilton (GB). Situated in the car park of the Trafford Centre, the BMW Sauber F1 Team Pit Lane Park will feature a state-of-the-art 110-metre asphalt track, including two turning circles to create exciting tyre-smoking theatrics. Throughout the three days, BMW drivers demonstrate their extraordinary command of both the Formula One and Formula BMW FB02 race cars.

Augusto Farfus (BR), competing for BMW Team Germany in the World Touring Car Championship (FIA WTCC), will be driving the BMW Sauber F1 Team car on each of the days.

Marcus Ericsson (SE), reigning Formula BMW UK champion, will demonstrate his skills in the FB02 on Friday. Local hero Matt Howson (GB) will take over the wheel of the Formula BMW car on Saturday and Sunday.

Within the park, visitors will be invited to take part in a myriad of F1-themed interactive attractions, including driving simulators, a fuel stop, a Pit Stop Challenge and a Formula One Lab. Manchester is one of the international locations to be selected to host the BMW Sauber F1 Team Pit Lane Park this year. In 2007, approximately 300,000 visitors visited the park.

Entrance to the Pit Lane Park is free for all visitors.

Opening hours :
Friday 4 July : 11.00am – 22.00pm
Saturday 5 July: 10.00am – 22.00pm
Sunday 6 July: 10.00am – 20.00pm

On Thursday, 3 July 2008, media representatives will get the chance for a “sneak preview” of the Pit Lane Park. In the evening the garages will be opened, and the Formula One car can be seen in action.

© CAPSIS International

#8 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:48

Some cheeky Manc will have the wheels taken*. The BMW will be on bricks by the end of the day.

*I'm joking

#9 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:10

Originally posted by Owen
Some cheeky Manc will have the wheels taken*. The BMW will be on bricks by the end of the day.

*I'm joking

That would be a lucky situation. I was thinking more along the lines of an armed carjacking in Gunchester.

#10 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:27

Nothing on Silverstones website about the pitlane, and I'm sure it was listed in the entertainment section earlier in the year (Still shown on the circuit map though), so I'm assuming it won't be there. Very disappointing.

#11 Andy Donovan

Andy Donovan

• 1,015 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:46

Originally posted by y2cragie
At least the guys in the cars will be able to escape quickly.

Not from the Trafford Centre they won't, that place is rammed at weekends already even without the extra traffic this will bring in.

It does seem a bit of an odd decision to do it that weekend, especially on the Sunday when you'd assume most F1 fans will be at home watching the race. On the other hand y2cragie is dead right that in order to get new fans they need to get out into the 'real world', and if they can steal a few potential Hamilton fans and sell them a bit of merchandise at the same time all the better.

#12 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:52

On the other hand y2cragie is dead right that in order to get new fans they need to get out into the 'real world'

I wouldn't recommend it. I went there once, didn't like it.

#13 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 15:14

Originally posted by Josta

I wouldn't recommend it. I went there once, didn't like it.

Manchester, or the BMW pitlane?

#14 devil500

devil500

• 121 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 15:25

Originally posted by Owen

*I'm joking

Wouldn't that be a Scouser's job? :lol:

#15 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 15:34

Originally posted by devil500

Wouldn't that be a Scouser's job? :lol:

A Scouser's job* is to have victim mentality, surely? ;)

* Well, as close to a 'job' as they're ever going to find.

#16 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 15:44

Highly recomended for a visit, wherever it is! Ive still got my ear plugs, a thing that you put round your neck, and some other goodies, as well as great video and photos plus the memorys of an F1 car about 10ft away doing donuts, from silverstone last year :up: