New Orleans & Packard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 16:13

Pardon the purely nostolgic thread.

I had the good fortune to be able to spend Father's Day in New Orleans with my oldest son. Saturday afternoon as we walked down Saint Charles Avenue I noticed a beautiful old building on the north side of the street somewhere around the 2000 block. Like so many other New Orleans buildings these days, it was gutted and surrounded by a fence awaiting some sort of rebuilding. Looking up, I noticed from the engraving in between the two floors that it was the old Packard dealership.

Posted Image

Pardon the poor quality form my cell phone camera> Unfortunately you can't see the engraving where it says Packard.

I was reminded of my uncle, who was like a second father to me. He owned Packards for years, beginning with a 1949, then a '51 and a '57, which he didn't really consider a Packard. The '57 was the only one I knew, with one of my earliest memories as a child riding in the car, and wondering why the engine shut off at every traffic light. Compared to our Chevy with it's straight 6, I guess it really was that quiet and smooth.

I also remember his telling the story about driving between Dallas and Fort Worth in about 1950 - back when there really WAS a between - and being pulled over in the '49. The cop strolled up to his car and asked "Excuse me sir, but do you realize that you were going 91 mph?" My uncle calmly corrected him, telling him that he was going 94. With no speed limit at the time, the cop decided that his speed was "safe and prudent" and let him go.

I also seem to remember something about the '51 having some sort of automatic clutch. I think he had to use the clutch for getting started but not for changing between gears. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

By the early 60's, the '57 had eaten it's transmission, and with Packard out of business and the problem of getting parts, he was never able to find anyone who could properly repair the automatic transmission, so it sat beside the house for a few months. A bit of an eccentric guy, he'd begun to dig a hole in the back yard to bury the damn thing but my aunt and the neighbors put a stop to that and he sold it for next to nothing.

The name remained magical to me however, and on my first trip to Aspen in 1973 I stopped at a junkyard that specialized in old cars in Kansas, Smiling Jack's. I think it was either in Manhattan or Junction City. In addition to the salvage cars, he had running cars parked for sale on the driveway in. On of them was a Packard, a 1941 Business Coupe, looking a bit worn but pretty much fully intact. It was $1100 and I stared at it wondering how a kid like me could get it back to Atlanta. As much as I wanted to have it, I knew it was impossible. I was intrigued though by the sign in the window of each of the cars which said "this car comes with smiling Jack's famous guarantee", so I went inside to ask. Jack sat there in his un-airconditioned building, sweating and smoking a cigar. When I asked him about the guarantee and what it mean, he removed the cigar form his mouth, smiled, and said "If it will start, it will get to the end of the driveway!"

Aah, the simple days. :)

Advertisement

#2 oscatipo

oscatipo

• 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 19:23

The Packard Building in Philadelphia was redeveloped and the big "Packard" sign can be seen from the Vine Street Expressway:

http://www.historicl...ks.com/packard/

#3 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 20:07

Originally posted by MPea3

I also seem to remember something about the '51 having some sort of automatic clutch. I think he had to use the clutch for getting started but not for changing between gears. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

There were two varieties of automatic clutch on the 1951 Packard, depending on whether the car was equipped with an automatic or manual transmission. If the car indeed had a conventional clutch pedal on the floor it would be the latter. Packard called this feature Electromatic Clutch and it worked just as you describe: the foot clutch was used for takeoff but not for shifting. It was essentially a vacuum-operated clutch and shifter mechanism.

Packards with the Ultramatic automatic transmission (no clutch pedal) also used a feature called automatic clutch, a device we would today call a "lock-up torque converter" or "torque converter clutch." Above a predetermined speed, letting off and reapplying the throttle would cause a clutch to lock up and place the torque converter in direct drive, eliminating the transmission slippage that was so prevalent in early automatic transmissions. It engaged with a satisfying clunk, unlike the slush-o-matics of the era like the Buick Dynaflow and Chevrolet Powerglide that seemed to never stop slipping, so people tend to remember that feature fondly.

#4 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 22:26

Pardon the purely nostolgic thread.

I had the good fortune to be able to spend Father's Day in New Orleans with my oldest son. Saturday afternoon as we walked down Saint Charles Avenue I noticed a beautiful old building on the north side of the street somewhere around the 2000 block. Like so many other New Orleans buildings these days, it was gutted and surrounded by a fence awaiting some sort of rebuilding. Looking up, I noticed from the engraving in between the two floors that it was the old Packard dealership.

Posted Image

Pardon the poor quality form my cell phone camera> Unfortunately you can't see the engraving where it says Packard.

I was reminded of my uncle, who was like a second father to me. He owned Packards for years, beginning with a 1949, then a '51 and a '57, which he didn't really consider a Packard. The '57 was the only one I knew, with one of my earliest memories as a child riding in the car, and wondering why the engine shut off at every traffic light. Compared to our Chevy with it's straight 6, I guess it really was that quiet and smooth.

I also remember his telling the story about driving between Dallas and Fort Worth in about 1950 - back when there really WAS a between - and being pulled over in the '49. The cop strolled up to his car and asked "Excuse me sir, but do you realize that you were going 91 mph?" My uncle calmly corrected him, telling him that he was going 94. With no speed limit at the time, the cop decided that his speed was "safe and prudent" and let him go.

By the early 60's, the '57 had eaten it's transmission, and with Packard out of business and the problem of getting parts, he was never able to find anyone who could properly repair the automatic transmission, so it sat beside the house for a few months. A bit of an eccentric guy, he'd begun to dig a hole in the back yard to bury the damn thing but my aunt and the neighbors put a stop to that and he sold it for next to nothing.

The name remained magical to me however, and on my first trip to Aspen in 1973 I stopped at a junkyard that specialized in old cars in Kansas, Smiling Jack's. I think it was either in Manhattan or Junction City. In addition to the salvage cars, he had running cars parked for sale on the driveway in. On of them was a Packard, a 1941 Business Coupe, looking a bit worn but pretty much fully intact. It was $1100 and I stared at it wondering how a kid like me could get it back to Atlanta. As much as I wanted to have it, I knew it was impossible. I was intrigued though by the sign in the window of each of the cars which said "this car comes with smiling Jack's famous guarantee", so I went inside to ask. Jack sat there in his un-airconditioned building, sweating and smoking a cigar. When I asked him about the guarantee and what it mean, he removed the cigar form his mouth, smiled, and said "If it will start, it will get to the end of the driveway!"

Aah, the simple days. :)

Great Documentation! It is important that we do this as sooner or later it is going to be gone. Either by nature or the wrecking ball.

Henry

#5 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 15:17

In the bigger cities the Packard dealership was usually something to behold -- an impressive edifice, a temple of commerce, almost like a bank. Thus by projection Packard owners would be seen as upright pillars of the community, reeking of old money.

... as opposed to cheap and flashy straw hatters on the make like your typical Cadillac buyer. :D

#6 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 17:17

Is it my imagination or is there not one in Salt Lake City up on the side of a building?

#7 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 20:52

There is no direct link but the search will be worthwhile to see photographs of the different dealerships.

http://www.packardclub.org/

Enjoyable adventure! :smoking:

Henry

#8 Jonathan

Jonathan

• 6,548 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:48

By the early 60's, the '57 had eaten it's transmission, and with Packard out of business and the problem of getting parts, he was never able to find anyone who could properly repair the automatic transmission, so it sat beside the house for a few months.

IIRC a Certain John Delorean before joining GM worked as an engineer at Packard in the late 1950ies on developing their automatic transmissions.

From memory I think Packard was one of the great motorcars of the 1920ies, and unlike most of the extremely expensive great motorcar companies that perished during the great depression, Packard re-invented itself by making significant cost cutting efforts in their products, while keeping their reputation as one of the "greats".

Unfortunately, following the depression, Packard management continued to maintain this same mind set of continuing to minimize their expenses, when they really needed to start spending money on developing their products. I think it is common knowledge that it was the government contracts for WWII era military products kept Packard a float. With out these contracts Packard would have gone out of business much sooner. Again following WWII, Packard management continued with their depression era mindset and initially continued to do little or nothing on technological innovations. Packard stubbornly held on to their fuel-thirsty straight-eight while others improved upon their V8 and straight-six designs.

I *think* at some point the stock holders finally became impatient with Packard's management and put a more progressive team in place, but by that time their market share had dwindled and they just didn't have enough money left to properly engineer and develop new designs. Even their eventual merger with Studebaker (where they got their V8 motors from) wasn't enough to save them.

#9 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:26

After looking over photographs I now realize that my uncle's last Packard was a '56, not a '57 as I mistakenly thought. 1957 was the first of the "Packardbakers".

#10 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:53

After looking over photographs I now realize that my uncle's last Packard was a '56, not a '57 as I mistakenly thought. 1957 was the first of the "Packardbakers".

Late, here in the states, we had another combo: Oldsmobuick. :rotfl:

Henry

#11 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 15:57

And two years later...

Posted Image

#12 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:10

At least the Packard dealership is in better shape than the Packard factory in Detroit:

http://www.white-his...om/hwrdet2b.htm