• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#51 Scuderia_Steve

Scuderia_Steve

• 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 19:26

Originally posted by Ploert
Stint times

Raikkonen did some mighty stints in FP2.

Very impressive. I wonder if Massa would have shown equivalnt pace had his neck not been sore. Once again, ferrari show great race pace, but if raik qualifies behind the Renault of Alonso, mclaren of Kov or the BMW of Kubica, then it will be all for not.

Advertisement

#52 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 19:56

Originally posted by AFCA
I think the FIA is evaluating the Safety Car system, tested after FP2, now. There will be a meeting tonight with all the team principles and it will be decided whether or not to introduce the system this GP already...

I don't (yet) know what the outcome of the meeting is but it may be unlikely that the teams come to an agreement soon. If the system is introduced then it means that a driver is allowed to come into the pitlane to refuel at any time. Smaller teams like Force India used to benefit from penalties that were awarded to drivers ahead of them. So They might not be too happy with what's going on now. Nielsen: ''Therefore it could be that at the end of the season we still haven't found a new regulation.''

#53 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 20:19

On the basis of today's practice sessions, Ferrari is ahead of McLaren over the long run in Magny-Cours, as was expected for this track. Over one lap it's closer. As was predicted by Kubica after testing last week, BMW Sauber is further behind the top two teams than they were the past two races.

As for the midfield, the performances of the teams at Barcelona were not reflected today in France. Renault are strong and they are ahead. Alonso set the best time of the day, not actually being as light as some think because he could have continued for a few more laps, and his long runs were strong too. Renault is about two tenths faster than Toyota. Red Bull is another two tenths behind them, which is really not what they expected after an encouraging Barcelona test. The much smoother asphalt at Magny-Cours doesn't suit the RB4 and the tyres keep locking up at the hairpins.

STR, Vettel at least, was doing much better than RBR, the Italian team clearly had one of the the best Fridays of the year.

Rosberg wasn't particularly brilliant in his Williams. But that shouldn't necessarily be an alarm bell because he was trying out all sorts of things to find out how his car behaves with a lot of fuel. The FW30 is very gentle on the tyres, therefore the softer tyres, if they don't grain for too long, can withstand a long stint with a lot of fuel. So having a ten position grid penalty even a one stopper is an option. Yet though, the Grove based team is probably not as fast as Red Bull.

#54 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,614 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 20:39

I don't (yet) know what the outcome of the meeting is but it may be unlikely that the teams come to an agreement soon. If the system is introduced then it means that a driver is allowed to come into the pitlane to refuel at any time. Smaller teams like Force India used to benefit from penalties that were awarded to drivers ahead of them. So They might not be too happy with what's going on now. Nielsen: ''Therefore it could be that at the end of the season we still haven't found a new regulation.''

in indycar they allow the car to pick up a dash of fuel (5laps or less), (can change tyres if there damaged i think), but they must pit when the pitlane becomes open.

why cant they just do that ?

#55 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,577 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 21:09

Could someone please enligten me on what exactly was tesed regarding SC? What are they up to?

TIA

#56 karlth

karlth

• 16,236 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 21:15

Originally posted by pingu666

in indycar they allow the car to pick up a dash of fuel (5laps or less), (can change tyres if there damaged i think), but they must pit when the pitlane becomes open.

why cant they just do that ?

Because they don't want the mad dash to the pits after the SC is deployed.

#57 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 870 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 21:40

News: Esteban Guerrieri's manager Julio GutiƩrrez has confirmed to the Argentine press that the WSR driver will be testing for Toro Rosso at the end of the year. This test is independent from the negotiations between Ultimate Motorsport (Guerrieri is a Ultimate driver) and Red Bull to buy their half of STR. GutiƩrrez also confirmed that, if Guerrieri impresses in the reminder of the WSR season and in his test with STR, he has big chances to race in F1 for STR (Ultimate?) next year.

#58 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:33

On the basis of today's practice sessions, Ferrari is ahead of McLaren over the long run in Magny-Cours, as was expected for this track. Over one lap it's closer.

I'm pretty sure Mclaren is on equal terms with Ferrari on longer runs and dfinitly stronger on a single lap.

We'll see who's right tomorrow and on sunday.

#59 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:34

Originally posted by Scuderia_Steve

Very impressive. I wonder if Massa would have shown equivalnt pace had his neck not been sore. Once again, ferrari show great race pace, but if raik qualifies behind the Renault of Alonso, mclaren of Kov or the BMW of Kubica, then it will be all for not.

Massa wasn't on teh same program due to a stiff neck. He did low fuel runs whereas Raikkonen did high fuel runs.

If you compare the last stints from HK and LH they seem pretty much on a par with KR.

Advertisement

#60 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,614 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:20

Originally posted by karlth

Because they don't want the mad dash to the pits after the SC is deployed.

there wont be? they can only pickup enough fuel for a couple of laps under safety car(till the pitlane is open), so theres negilable fuel gain tobe made, but the drivers could try to cain it round to get there splash and dash and maintain there position in the que for when they do the proper pitstops :/

#61 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:57

Ferrari look really strong. The long stint Raikkonen did is impresive

#62 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:12

The likelihood of a heavy thunderstorm or two to stir the pot tomorrow is high.

Fingers crossed we get a repeat of 1999 as without the intervention of the gods Sunday be dull as dishwater.

#63 ImmortaL

ImmortaL

• 1,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:14

Originally posted by Ploert
Stint times

Raikkonen did some mighty stints in FP2.

Thank you very much for that link mate. :up:

But could you tell me how to go there from the FIA homepage???

#64 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:27

Originally posted by ImmortaL

Thank you very much for that link mate. :up:

But could you tell me how to go there from the FIA homepage???

You can't. There is no link to follow. Just go there manually:

http://fia.com/ + 'name of the country' + gp

#65 Schumeister

Schumeister

• 318 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:34

Originally posted by rodlamas

I'm pretty sure Mclaren is on equal terms with Ferrari on longer runs and dfinitly stronger on a single lap.

If you look at the stint times posted above it shows Ferrari are slightly quicker than Mclaren over a stint and they also have the fastest stright line speed. Looking at the practice highlights they also appear to be able to set fastest lap times at ease.
Why do you feel Mclaren is on equal terms?

#66 ImmortaL

ImmortaL

• 1,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:50

Originally posted by Hippo

You can't. There is no link to follow. Just go there manually:

http://fia.com/ + 'name of the country' + gp

Thanks for the info mate... :D

#67 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:00

Originally posted by Schumeister

If you look at the stint times posted above it shows Ferrari are slightly quicker than Mclaren over a stint and they also have the fastest stright line speed. Looking at the practice highlights they also appear to be able to set fastest lap times at ease.

That's just the usual pre-race jedi mind trick from rodlamas.

It's just that it doesn't always work.;)

#68 Schumeister

Schumeister

• 318 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:19

Originally posted by Johny Bravo

:clap: :wave:

#69 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:20

A McLaren technician yesterday: ''In the afternoon our drivers were slower because we preferred to find out about the performance over 12 lap runs, with more fuel on board. Also, the temperature was higher. We'll be fighting for pole.''

Tombazis is cautious: ''Are we in a good position ? To tell the truth we were also in a good position on Saturday at Monaco and we know how that ended. So...''

#70 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:33

Originally posted by Schumeister

Kimi's laps are consistent, but Mclarens laps seem to indicate they've disrupted by traffic or somethign related... I really think Mclaren's plan to shift the balance more towards high speed corners will pay off on the next 3 races.

#71 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,012 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:35

AFCA, did Gazzetta say if Tombazis was at the track?

#72 Schumeister

Schumeister

• 318 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:39

Kimi's laps are consistent, but Mclarens laps seem to indicate they've disrupted by traffic or somethign related... I really think Mclaren's plan to shift the balance more towards high speed corners will pay off on the next 3 races.

Still doesn't convince me they are equal on pace to Ferrari on this type of circuit, but we won't have to wait long to find out. :)

#73 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:05

Originally posted by quasi C
AFCA, did Gazzetta say if Tombazis was at the track?

Not explicitly but that's what can be concluded from the context.

#74 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 508 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:34

Yep. trying to get a few to cross over to he dark side :D

#75 Rabbit123

Rabbit123

• 255 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:35

Once again I am pleasently supprised with Vettel's performance in the Toro Rosso.

P1 - 8th
P2 - 5th
P3 - 3rd

I'm sure if everything runs smoothly, he can easily make it into the top 6 or even higher.

#76 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:56

I'm a bit puzzled by BMW... they're even lower than usual on FP's, and I saw Kubica really going at it a couple of times, using all the curbs and having car on the edge, so he looks to be confident.. I have a feeling they quicker than people think. But my feelings aren't usually worth a thing.

#77 Mila

Mila

• 5,686 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:23

in P3, the top 18 end up covered by 1 second.

#78 FAUST!!!

FAUST!!!

• 104 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:51

It almost always doesn't work for his padawan "pretty sure" aspirations.

#79 riffola

riffola

• 940 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:01

Nice one Kimi and Massa! Hamilton ends up 13th! Good job Alonso!

Advertisement

#80 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,763 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:01

That last chincane is rather pointless. Why can't they get rid of it?

#81 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:12

Ferrari 1-2 will be 90% sure for tomorow. Kimi for win most probably.
Alonso 3, he has a good chance to take the last slot of the podium. All he have to do is to maintein the position after start, because Trulli will make the rest of the job for him.
BMW very disipointed. Worst, Kubica will start on the dirty side of the road...
Hamm must pass Haidfeld and Piquet to have a chance, very hard for him tomorow.

#82 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:33

Please stop with this. You make/talk McLaren stronger than they are already the whole season.
The only real good race was Melbourne when BOTH drivers were on pace there.
A bit understatement would be better...

#83 JensonWDC

JensonWDC

• 411 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:37

Originally posted by Mclaren4ever

Please stop with this. You make/talk McLaren stronger than they are already the whole season.
The only real good race was Melbourne when BOTH drivers were on pace there.
A bit understatement would be better...

McLaren4ever :up:
Blind fanboys :down:

#84 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 508 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:42

I heard they found ice on Mars, rodlamas must be viewing the GP from there :)

Anyway, Lewis just ahead of the monkeys, im sure he's relishing the thought of playing with them :cat:

#85 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:44

Originally posted by stormshadow
I heard they found ice on Mars, rodlamas must be viewing the GP from there :)

Anyway, Lewis just ahead of the monkeys, im sure he's relishing the thought of playing with them :cat:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#86 MS KR

MS KR

• 117 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 13:45

You also mentioned it will pay off in the next three races,-

Hamilton stuggled in Silverstone in the race last year, Hockenheim has a balance of slow and fast corners and Hungary is also slow.

#87 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 508 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 14:15

"It was a stupid thing," he said. "I was in the elevator, had a moment and felt my neck. I was not even driving!

What exactly was Massa doing in the elevator for him do have that moment :drunk:

#88 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,393 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 15:59

Originally posted by Alfisti
No, no not at all. THe car has been seriously improved from barcelona onwards. The strange nature of Monaco and Canada as well as Fernando over driving hid this a little but they are 4th by a wid emargin IMHO.

Again they look fast, imagine if they had a real driver rather than piquet?

#89 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 19:42

The Ferraris will go off the front, and won't challlenge each other on track, so let's hope the TV director doesn't spend too much time on them. Fernando could be good to watch against Kubi and Jarno, also Hammy coming through if he survives beyond T4 on lap 1 (about 50/50 I'd say).

Then if Hammy gets up to Fernando later in the race, it'll be the edge of the sofa :clap: .

I just hope Kovy is on a 2-stopper, and heavy. But some of his onboard looked dire.

#90 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 21:03

Originally posted by undersquare
The Ferraris will go off the front, and won't challlenge each other on track, so let's hope the TV director doesn't spend too much time on them. Fernando could be good to watch against Kubi and Jarno, also Hammy coming through if he survives beyond T4 on lap 1 (about 50/50 I'd say).

Then if Hammy gets up to Fernando later in the race, it'll be the edge of the sofa :clap: .

I just hope Kovy is on a 2-stopper, and heavy. But some of his onboard looked dire.

Ferrari 1-2 no doubt, unless it rains (cross fingers, it's the only chance againt boredom). Alonso will struggle with better starting Toyota and BMW and Hamilton will have a hard time to climb positions, the track is so narrow in France, remember Alonso last year when he had a gearbox problem and couldn't do much about it.

#91 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 21:40

Originally posted by Nitropower

Ferrari 1-2 no doubt, unless it rains (cross fingers, it's the only chance againt boredom). Alonso will struggle with better starting Toyota and BMW and Hamilton will have a hard time to climb positions, the track is so narrow in France, remember Alonso last year when he had a gearbox problem and couldn't do much about it.

I'm pinning my hopes on McLaren's improved fast-corner speed, which I think gave Lewis the fastest sector1 time today. If he can use that to stay close enough through turn 3 then he may be able to do some overtaking. Hope we get the TV coverage...

#92 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:03

Originally posted by undersquare

I'm pinning my hopes on McLaren's improved fast-corner speed, which I think gave Lewis the fastest sector1 time today. If he can use that to stay close enough through turn 3 then he may be able to do some overtaking. Hope we get the TV coverage...

I am quite surprised that McLaren are not up there with Ferrari, after all the talk from Whitmarsh one would have thought they would be the ones being chased for pace by Ferrari.

One of two things has happened, either setup totally wrong or Whitmarsh talks too much smack. I don't understand why they would talk up their chances as you are so often found out on Sunday anyway, so it must be down to setup. At least for McLarens sake i hope it is simply a setup issue.

#93 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:22

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso

I am quite surprised that McLaren are not up there with Ferrari, after all the talk from Whitmarsh one would have thought they would be the ones being chased for pace by Ferrari.

One of two things has happened, either setup totally wrong or Whitmarsh talks too much smack. I don't understand why they would talk up their chances as you are so often found out on Sunday anyway, so it must be down to setup. At least for McLarens sake i hope it is simply a setup issue.

For me it's more a quality thing. Kovalainen has had enough margin to prove how good he is, and it seems not only that he cannot compete with his team mate but he can't make it to the top 5 in q3, in spite of his "bad luck" and blah blah. So far Hamilton has made a few mistakes, and not been lucky a few times (Monaco aside), but he's won 2 races and is so close to 1st in the standings. Kova not even a podium if I recall correctly.

Then Lewis admitted he made too many mistakes in his lap so it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the setup. IMO without those mistakes he could've been the poleman or very close to it. Maybe the 10 grid penalty affected him this weekend psichologically.

#94 karlth

karlth

• 16,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:15

We don't know McLaren's ultimate pace after qualifying. Hamilton had a very bad lap and Kovalainen is probably very heavy.

#95 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:29

Massa has to make sure Alonso doesn't pass him at the start because if he gets stuck behind the Renault until the pitstop, Kimi will win by country miles.

#96 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:55

*Prays for rain*

#97 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 785 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:08

Anyone got any idea what the weather is like at the circuit? All things being considered rain might make a more interesting race. If its dry I think we may have a Ferrari red-wash...

#98 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:18

You should know by now not to pay much attention to the Mclaren Information Minister. All season we have been hearing how close they are to ferrari and all the big steps they have taken but every race where Ferarri dont have problems they dominate Mclaren and nothings changed here. Hamilton looked to be 3 tenths slower and was all over the place doing it, and Heikki is even further behind. If Kimi had finished his lap he would have been 1 second ahead of heikki and I doubt hes much heavier.

The only team thats shown any real development progress this year has been Renault who have been taking big clear steps every few races. Mclaren is just hype and I actually think it wont be long until they are behind Renault.

#99 secessionman

secessionman

• 168 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:22

Originally posted by Lord Snooty
Anyone got any idea what the weather is like at the circuit? All things being considered rain might make a more interesting race. If its dry I think we may have a Ferrari red-wash...

Not raining now but threatening to, according to Autosport live text.

Damp track this morning for GP2 but, if no more rain, will have fully dried out by race time.

Advertisement

#100 Jaybee

Jaybee

• 517 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:24

Originally posted by Lord Snooty

The original forecast for severe thunderstorms seems to have been moderated to occasional showers. The band of rain heading for the Magny Cours region looks fairly narrow on the local radar and may miss the race area completely. Any heavier rain isn't due till after 6pm (French time) so I'd guess that rain will not play a big part in the race.