Grand Prix de Magny-Cours 2008 thread

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#201 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:53

Originally posted by MiPe
Current BMW drivers are pathetic. Kubesquarehead is not a racer with fire in his heart; he just has a fast car beneath him, while wasting a good seat which should be handed over to more deserving drivers. Nick - I am lost for words, but it doesn't looks good for him.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The car may be very fast when set up properly, but it's quite a handful to drive and has very marginal aerodynamics. Kubica and Heidfield are having to grab that car by the scruff of its neck to make the most of it, and it's a credit to them both that they're doing so well.

Advertisement

#202 Tigershark

Tigershark

• 996 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:53

Time to raise some flags and celebrate an excellent result.

It's a shame Kimi had a problem, but thankfully he was able to finish in second with his damaged F2008.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#203 HP

HP

• 14,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:54

Originally posted by potmotr
Big Ron reckons Lewis was past Vettel and was 'squeezed off the road.' Even as a McLaren supporter, I think that's an, er, interesting interpretation. Lewis not giving interviews by the looks of things...

If the Kid is as good as people want him to be. he'll come out stronger. After all he touched Kova's back early in the race. Wonder what Ron Dennis would have said had Lewis taken them both out...

#204 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:54

A classic from Kimi when asked about the effect of light rain in the end:"It didn´t matter that much. The huge loss of power was like bad TC!!"

#205 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:55

Originally posted by Konsta
A classic from Kimi when asked about the effect of light rain in the end:"It didn´t matter that much. The huge loss of power was like bad TC!!"

:lol:

#206 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,317 posts

Unlucky Raikkonen ...again, but Massa extends his lead and that's what matters...

Massa did his job very good but Kimi was clearly faster here, Trulli Train was amazing :D Kova did very well too.

the BMWs were nowhere this race, but Kubica did a good result nontheless.

Terrible strategy by Alonso again and Hamilton cracking under pressure... again too.

#207 Deeq

Deeq

• 5,672 posts

Originally posted by The July Plot
Well that was a dull race...for the second year in a row. Magny Cours, good bye and good riddance!

Seriously which race were you watching...not the French GP in planet terra in 2008 i hope, some people you just can't please them.. :drunk:

#208 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:56

Originally posted by Tigershark
Posted ImagePosted Image

:)

#209 the ringmaster

the ringmaster

• 9 posts

wonderful result for the mighty ferrari!

#210 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,937 posts

Originally posted by Spunout

A win is a win. That´s motor racing. It isn´t Felipe´s responsibility to feel sorry for Kimi, even if the latter was outperforming him before the problem occurred.

But its our right as viewers and fans of the sport to recongise Kimi is always faster and better at this track, and looked again like that this weekend, this GP spiritually is Kimi's win even before he arrives at it, the reliability problem means Massa had better luck, there's nothing exciting about today's victory, it's ashame for the sport the rain didn't continue, as Massa seem scared of it today and Kimi wasn't.

Schumacher had what 8 victories at this track, he was a master at it, now the current speed master of it is Kimi, I think everyone knows Kimi was the better man today, and with people expecting good reliability from ferrari, this is a very lucky day for Massa, that's all it is.

Race satisfaction 1 out of 10, good Kimi got points, but terriable the rain had to stop.

Hamilton back to back flops, not good for f1's superstar

Massa is not that good at this track, if he was like Turkey and Bahrain, then I'll be clapping, he was dissapointing here, always has been.

#211 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Originally posted by Konsta

Expect pasadena, giacomo and others to tell us Kimi´s problem actually gave him an advantage :D

#212 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,576 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:58

Clearly BMW had problems this weekend. Heidfield has struggled this season but he's not that bad. 13th?

#213 Deeq

Deeq

• 5,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:59

Originally posted by Anomnader

didn't stop Kimi complaining about Lewis when he'd done the same to Sutil ;-)

It is a bad habit he got from the greys..we are trying to break him of it ;) :kiss:

#214 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Expect pasadena, giacomo and others to tell us Kimi´s problem actually gave him an advantage :D

Yeah ;) Apparently Ferrari should´ve hired those peeps because the know a thing or two more about aerodynamics. Having a hole in the sidepod + losing 50 hp is a good thing SF just did not figure that out themselves ;)

#215 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

what's up with Williams and Rosberg...? :down:

#216 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:00

So what happens to Kimi's engine? Would be a shame if he got a penalty at the next race for changing

#217 Coral

Coral

• 2,833 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:01

Today's "race" was a total joke. Why do they even bother having the races! Just hand the trophy to Massa or Raikkonen...take your pick...now. I'm so disgusted with today's events, I feel like never watching another Grand Prix again, but I probably will since I'm addicted. But today was a sad day for motorsport. :(

#218 Gary Edwards

Gary Edwards

• 19 posts

Originally posted by the ringmaster
wonderful result for the mighty ferrari!

Considering their main rivals are being penalised for breathing these days.Im more impressed with Kimi the WDC :rotfl: he seems to be stringing sentences together with relative ease - must be on the wagon :wave: .

Ferrari ****

#219 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,785 posts

that engine wasn't looking good, but it is great to see it took the fight til the end.

Advertisement

#220 skonks

skonks

• 925 posts

man, that was an bad luck for Kimster : as he clearly dominated Massa
But looking for at the good side of things for Kimi, it could have been worse. He could have ended like MS in Monaco00.

Was where Reno thinking with their strategy with Alonso? :stoned:
Piket lives for another day :p Although he will need to continue his good form
LEW1S was a complete mess today!!! :drunk:
Great drive by Trulli & Kovalainen

#221 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:02

Originally posted by Deeq

Hej I am not complaining it was a good move - sort of ;) - sans the pumping that is. :up:
But McLaren to complain about contact when one of their drivers has had a contact every third car that was in its vicinity is a bit rich to say the least close

Hamilton's race was effectively ruined by receiving a stop go for trying to avoid contact by running off the road. After that, the drive was that of a frustrated young man with nought to lose. A podium was there for the taking. He managed to overtake a fairly large number of cars cleanly but he was on a hiding to nothing and horribly out of position on the race track.

Good drive by Heikki though. Webber and Red Bull again putting one over the works boys. Nice to see Piquet's testing time paid dividends. Can't wait to hear Fred's post race comments.

#222 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Originally posted by SeanValen

But its our right as viewers and fans of the sport to recongise Kimi is always faster and better at this track, and looked again like that this weekend, this GP spiritually is Kimi's win even before he arrives at it, the reliability problem means Massa had better luck, there's nothing exciting about today's victory, it's ashame for the sport the rain didn't continue, as Massa seem scared of it today and Kimi wasn't.

No question Kimi was faster today. But my point is, mech gremlins are part of motor racing. Sometimes you aren´t the fastest man on track, but end up winning anyway - because of luck. I see nothing wrong with Felipe´s celebration. If things were the other way around, I cannot imagine seeing Kimi weeping on podium because his teammate had damaged exhaust pipe.

Schumacher had what 8 victories at this track, he was a master at it, now the current speed master of it is Kimi, I think everyone knows Kimi was the better man today, and with people expecting good reliability from ferrari, this is a very lucky day for Massa, that's all it is.

You HAD to mention Schumacher? :D

Race satisfaction 1 out of 10, good Kimi got points, but terriable the rain had to stop.

Hmm...to me this was one of the better French GPs. Race satisfaction : 8, at least...

#223 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,785 posts

Originally posted by SeanValen

Massa is not that good at this track, if he was like Turkey and Bahrain, then I'll be clapping, he was dissapointing here, always has been.

yeah, last year he came in second, this year he won (would have been second otherwise)
really disgusting performance from him

#224 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:04

Originally posted by BMW_F1
what's up with Williams and Rosberg...? :down:

They put primes on three corners and the option on the front right. An extra pit stop ensued. Personally I'd dock 'em 10 grid places for the British GP. ;)

#225 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Originally posted by airwise

Hamilton's race was effectively ruined by receiving a stop go for trying to avoid contact by running off the road. .

No it wasnt. he got the penatly for overtaking while cutting the track. He should have just given the place back and overtaken him 1 lap later. Stupid hamilton and mclaren.

#226 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,785 posts

No question Kimi was faster today. But my point is, mech gremlins are part of motor racing. Sometimes you aren´t the fastest man on track, but end up winning anyway - because of luck. I see nothing wrong with Felipe´s celebration. If things were the other way around, I cannot imagine seeing Kimi weeping on podium because his teammate had damaged exhaust pipe.

:up: for you
kimi should have won the race today, no doubt. but it could have ended a lot worse for him. he was unlucky, but in these moments at least he brought home 8 points. not bad at all

#227 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:06

Headline for ITV: "Kimi's pain is Massa's gain".

#228 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,445 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:07

Originally posted by Blueray

No it wasnt. he got the penatly for overtaking while cutting the track. He should have just given the place back and overtaken him 1 lap later. Stupid hamilton and mclaren.

Why didn't the FIA instruct them to do this then, rather than waiting ten laps and then deciding? I've never seen a drive through given for this type of incident.

5 McLaren penalties in 8 races. A joke.

#229 HP

HP

• 14,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:08

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing

yeah, last year he came in second, this year he won (would have been second otherwise)
really disgusting performance from him

One wonders, what some people will say, if Massa wins the championship.

#230 JesseFriz

JesseFriz

• 165 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:09

Originally posted by HP

Probably "congratulations".

#231 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:09

Originally posted by Coral
Today's "race" was a total joke. Why do they even bother having the races! Just hand the trophy to Massa or Raikkonen...take your pick...now. I'm so disgusted with today's events, I feel like never watching another Grand Prix again, but I probably will since I'm addicted. But today was a sad day for motorsport. :(

Are you suggesting that mclaren would have won if they didnt get the drivethru? :lol: Hamilton lost 12seconds because of that.Maybe he would have got eight

#232 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:10

Originally posted by HP

That Kimi never was a patch on MS.

#233 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:11

Originally posted by HP

Good for him :up:

#234 HP

HP

• 14,354 posts

Originally posted by inca_roads

Why didn't the FIA instruct them to do this then, rather than waiting ten laps and then deciding? I've never seen a drive through given for this type of incident.

Mclaren is a joke? :p Not really, but they should be thinking on their feet to help their 2 still comparingly inexperienced drivers avoid making costly errors like the 2 this weekend. It's a no brainer to give back the position, just in case it transpires what happend today. Teams including McLaren have done so in the past.

#235 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Originally posted by Gary Edwards
[B]

Considering their main rivals are being penalised for breathing these days.Im more impressed with Kimi the WDC :rotfl: he seems to be stringing sentences together with relative ease - must be on the wagon :wave: .

I actually think that the FIA should just come straight out and create a rule prohibiting teams from "being in possession of a McLaren livery within the hours of daylight". That would be much more transparent than this bull.

#236 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Can't you post without insulting hamilton?
It's getting to the point that you really need some counseling. Go and take some anger management classes...

#237 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,273 posts

They are dished out at Canada like candy. You can't cut the circuit to gain the advantage. If the team doesn't set it right, the stewards impose a penalty. It's not their fault that McLaren can't seem to entertain the notion that they might be in the wrong, even just once.

I agree the number of penalties is ridiculous, but isn't it funny how Ferrari are the ones always accussed of cheating, hmmm?

#238 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:12

Originally posted by mursuka80

Are you suggesting that mclaren would have won if they didnt get the drivethru? :lol: Hamilton lost 12seconds because of that.Maybe he would have got eight

He would have most likely got a podium without it. The penalty destroyed his race.

#239 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,217 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:12

Originally posted by Deeq

Seriously which race were you watching...not the French GP in planet terra in 2008 i hope, some people you just can't please them.. :drunk:

Well I'm in planet terra and have the same opinion, it was dull, a Ferrari 1-2. Could've been worse, no doubt about it, but it was not good (IMO)

Advertisement

#240 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,217 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:13

Originally posted by Gary Edwards

Ferrari ****

Impeding rivals and crashing into their back is not "breathing" hehe

#241 Deeq

Deeq

• 5,672 posts

I've never seen a drive through given for this type of incident.

Mind boggles by the Macfans hyperbole...Is it time for intervention? :drunk:

#242 Blueray

Blueray

• 407 posts

Terrible strategy and start from Alonso today. Reminded me of malaysia 2006 when Massa beat Schumacher with the same type of strategy piquet had. Renault still have work to do in race trim.

#243 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Originally posted by Anomnader

didn't stop Kimi complaining about Lewis when he'd done the same to Sutil ;-)

Kimi crashed with Sutil in pit lane when there was red lights? When was that?

#244 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Good action, but very poor race.

Truli (amazing considdering he's driving an avensis diesel of a f1 car) :up: :up: :up: :up:
Kimi (driving with a broken car) :up: :up: :up:
Heikki (great race) :up: :up:
Massa (didnt do anything special but won never the less) :up:

BMW (What happened) :down:
ITV (ad brakes X12) :down: :down:
FIA (POOR POOR POOR Desision) :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

#245 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,273 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:14

He would have most likely got a podium without it. The penalty destroyed his race.

Well then he was pretty stupid not to ceede the place back, wasn't he?

#246 HP

HP

• 14,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:14

I rather think people will continue to be in denial about Massa's abilities.

#247 Kenaltgr

Kenaltgr

• 892 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:15

Then why did MS run away like a coward from Kimi in 2007, because he lost his total #1 status.

#248 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:15

Terrible strategy and start from Alonso today. Reminded me of malaysia 2006 when Massa beat Schumacher with the same type of strategy piquet had. Renault still have work to do in race trim.

Yeah... :lol:
He cracked under pressure from hamilton... :lol:

#249 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,217 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:16

You don't need to be told the rules to follow them. And it's well known that if you skip a chicane to pass someone or to prevent someone from passing you, you have to let him by.

#250 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:17

Originally posted by yr

Kimi crashed with Sutil in pit lane when there was red lights? When was that?

ah I see, so its only two faced behaviour when its Lewis is it, but if Kimi moans about something he has done himself its OK