Photo

IndyCar - Iowa

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 14:53

Racing amid the cornfields this weekend. Without Pacific Coast Motorsports.

http://auto-racing.s...o-sit-out-iowa/

Advertisement

#2 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 15:43

And it looks like this one's on live in Britain - thanks Sky! :up:

#3 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 15:50

:clap: Another notch in the championship bedpost for Scott Dixon methinks. He really is looking untouchable this year. :clap:

#4 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 16:13

Short track and many cars. Luck, as in not getting caught up in someone else's misfortune, will play a greater than usual role this weekend. :)

http://sports.espn.g...john&id=3452732

And I like Dixon too. He's having a phenomenal year.

Two matters of interest:

(1) Wheldon's evidently not interested in NASCAR and is staying put, and Penske's happy enough with Briscoe, so no changes at either of their teams for next year.

http://www.indystar....3/1052/SPORTS01

(2) Which leaves nowhere useful for Kanaan to go, despite tensions at AGR.

http://sports.espn.g...john&id=3435942

#5 marchof73

marchof73

• 58 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 18:01

Any news as to whether the floods will have any effect,ie cancellation or postponement?

#6 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 18:46

The race will go on. Getting there may be another story, depending on road closures to the east.

#7 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 23:21

i really enjoyed texas race, so looking forward to this race too..

#8 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:46

Most of the field took Friday afternoon off, must be the only explanation for Danica being fastest...................

#9 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:47

Do you have a B-side?

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,203 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 16:19

Speaking of "Bea"
What time is the Lights race?
For the life of me I cannot find any schedule times on that damn Indycar.com

Jp

EDIT: IMS radio says 5PM EDT

#11 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 21:34

Did anyone else notice that this race is being televised head-to-head against Fox's delayed coverage of the F1 race? (the only time the F1 race will be televised in the US)

F1 race on a broadcast network, the IRL race on one of the esspins, head to head.... How stupid is that?

It's Godzilla Vs. Bambi. And it's not like this schedule is anything new, the earl has had Months to react to this. I read Fox was picking up the French GP four or five months ago.

The earl should have changed up and either run Iowa as a Saturday night event or run it a little later on Sunday afternoon. My guess is that this will be the lowest rated Sunday afternoon IRL race of the season. The Nascar race doesn't start until after 5pm EDT, there would have been a perfect slot for the Iowa race. 3 to 5 pm...

#12 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 21:52

more important they dont run at the same time as nascar imo

#13 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:09

Originally posted by pingu666
more important they dont run at the same time as nascar imo

Agreed, but they could have run right between the F1 and Nascar with absolutely no overlap.

#14 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:22

Originally posted by jonpollak
Speaking of "Bea"
What time is the Lights race?
For the life of me I cannot find any schedule times on that damn Indycar.com

Jp

EDIT: IMS radio says 5PM EDT

Took me all of 10 seconds.

http://www.indycar.com/indylights/

Click on the FIL button just below Dixon's shoulder.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,203 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:24

What...you don't think I tried searching the lights site?

Of course I did.

It was IMS radio that relayed the days schedule.
The "schdedule" page list no such info...
http://www.indycar.c...le/?event_id=68
As a matter of fact,were you to rely on that info,it says the race is on SUNDAY.

pfftt.

Anyhoo..
Nice work from Bia today to grab 3rd

Jp

#16 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:25

The earl should have changed up and either run Iowa as a Saturday night event or run it a little later on Sunday afternoon

That's a dandy idea if you don't care about consistency and you have no concern for the fans who will come to sit in the stands.

At some point, you have to just run your own schedule and not worry about what others are doing.

#17 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:26

Originally posted by jonpollak
What...you don't think I tried searching the lights site?

Of course I did.

It was IMS radio that relayed the days schedule.
The "schdedule" page list no such info...
http://www.indycar.c...le/?event_id=68
As a matter of fact,were you to rely on that info,it says the race is on SUNDAY.

pfftt.

Anyhoo..
Nice work from Bia today to grab 3rd

Jp

Scroll down on the schedule page......

Weekend Schedule (all times Local Time)

Practice 1 Fri, 20 June :: 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Practice 2 Fri, 20 June :: 11:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.
Qualifying Fri, 20 June :: 3:20 p.m.
Jeld-Wen 100 Race Sat, 21 June :: 4:15 p.m.

#18 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:30

Originally posted by ColdHeart
That's a dandy idea if you don't care about consistency and you have no concern for the fans who will come to sit in the stands.

At some point, you have to just run your own schedule and not worry about what others are doing.

You're suggesting that a start time of 3:00 EDT instead of 1:00 EDT would have confused the fans?

As for consistency, what consistency? This is the same series that started TV coverage of the Texas race at nearly 11 PM. Seems to me it got some pretty good ratings too.

Bottom line, you're wrong, the series would have been far better to have delayed the start 2 hours. I can't even believe you're arguing against it.

#19 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 22:58

if its delayed coverage, isnt that abit of a crapshoot to predict ?

but at some point waaay back they gotta give the times of the race on the tickets anyways

Advertisement

#20 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 23:09

Originally posted by random

You're suggesting that a start time of 3:00 EDT instead of 1:00 EDT would have confused the fans?

The ones who came last year? Yes. Same deal with Texas, start times are largely based on what the race promoter wants.

#21 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 23:11

Originally posted by pingu666
if its delayed coverage, isnt that abit of a crapshoot to predict ?

but at some point waaay back they gotta give the times of the race on the tickets anyways

It was announced waaay back that the French GP would be tape delayed on Fox. In any event, tickets aren't typically sent out until less than a month before the event (at least in my experience).

The only excuse the earl "may" have is if neither of the esspins nor ABC could fit them into a 3pm slot. Otherwise, no excuses for the earl.

#22 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 23:23

One more time, the IRL doesn't set the starting time, the promoter does. Unless you are suggesting that they tape delay the coverage to avoid conflicting with the tape delayed F-1 race ........ at which point, they would then have a conflict with the live NASCAR race.

#23 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:20

Did anyone else notice that this race is being televised head-to-head against Fox's delayed coverage of the F1 race? (the only time the F1 race will be televised in the US)

I'm well practiced in using the "last channel" button on my remote. I don't foresee a problem here, particularly since the IndyCar pre-race show starts at noon CDT.

I can watch the first lap of the F1 race, grab a sandwich, catch the first F1 pit stops, change to the start of the IndyCar race, watch awhile, grab a cookie, catch the second round of F1 pit stops, then watch the rest of the IndyCar race.

For crying out loud random, the race is at Magny-Cours. A ratings bonanza for Fox? Every F1 fan knows this is one of the boring, no pass races.  ;)

#24 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:22

It was announced waaay back that the French GP would be tape delayed on Fox. In any event, tickets aren't typically sent out until less than a month before the event (at least in my experience).

The only excuse the earl "may" have is if neither of the esspins nor ABC could fit them into a 3pm slot. Otherwise, no excuses for the earl.

we talking like 9 months ago? i dunno when the irl sets its calender, but its normaly 12 to 6 months ahead, im dubious fox would have said they would air the f1 race, tape delayed by X hours back then.

still sux when the big 3 race series clash....

#25 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:51

Originally posted by red stick

For crying out loud random, the race is at Magny-Cours. A ratings bonanza for Fox? Every F1 fan knows this is one of the boring, no pass races.  ;)

You don't have to tell me. Iowa probably will be a far more interesting race.

The hard truth is that Network almost always draws a bigger rating than cable, no matter the match up.

#26 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:43

The IndyCar race is on network, on ABC.

#27 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:01

SkySport 1 in the UK at 6PM or 6:30PM depending where you look.

#28 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 13:26

The IndyCar race is on network, on ABC.

Well, there you go then.

Weather forecast is upper 70s, 20% chance of rain.

#29 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 18:16

What did everyone make of Wheldon hitting John Andretti? Looked a bit out of order to me...

#30 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 18:19

balls i missed the start :

#31 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 20:43

Good race, great weather, nice crowd given that there was severe flooding across the state last week.

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 21:09

I understand that Scott Dixon is to give his winnings to the flood relief fund.

#33 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 21:58

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
I understand that Scott Dixon is to give his winnings to the flood relief fund.

I thought it was both Ganassi cars--Wheldon too. Classy move.

#34 Bumper

Bumper

• 1,967 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 22:11

Yes, it was both Ganassi drivers.....

Interesting rumour about Kanaan taking the 7-11 sponsorship with him to Ganassi as a third car for next year.

Makes completely sense, Tony's contract is up, and he is feeling unloved at Andretti Green this year, what with the team's focus seemingly being on darling Danica and daddy's boy. With Ganassi's troubles right now in Nascar, any expansion within Ganassi will be with their IRL operations.

#35 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 22:22

i think most drivers where going to aswell :up:

missed the end of the race, went to watch top gear :lol:

#36 Flat Black

Flat Black

• 480 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 23:01

Very good race and a nice run by Mutoh. He did an excellent job of holding off Andretti for second place.

PS--Iowa Speedway needs to install another 20,000 seats. My guess is they'd fill 'em next year.

#37 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 23:10

Originally posted by Flat Black
Very good race and a nice run by Mutoh. He did an excellent job of holding off Andretti for second place.

You've got to give Marco half credit for not hitting him, unlike the past few races. The kid's starting to get the hang of this.

#38 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 00:52

Originally posted by Flat Black

PS--Iowa Speedway needs to install another 20,000 seats. My guess is they'd fill 'em next year.

I believe Iowa's plan is to sell out and then add temporary seats as needed. Once they establish a little history and repeat business, they can add more permanent stands.

And the crowd today was truly amazing given the flooding that occurred.

#39 Flat Black

Flat Black

• 480 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:31

What, exactly, was the deal with Darren Manning? The TV commentators mentioned the he dropped out of the race early on because he was too "tired" to drive the car, and that AJ was none too pleased. I'll bet! Cannot imagine Foyt putting up with a driver that gets out of the saddle like that.

Advertisement

#40 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:33

One more time, the IRL doesn't set the starting time, the promoter does. Unless you are suggesting that they tape delay the coverage to avoid conflicting with the tape delayed F-1 race ........ at which point, they would then have a conflict with the live NASCAR race.

So the promoter gets full right to run a race at any time they like, even if there's no TV slot open, even if IndyCar doesn't want to run the race then, it's entirely the promoters call? Uh huh.. Where do you get this stuff? Do you just make it up?

In any case, I was suggesting that the race be run After the broadcast of the F1 race and Before the start of the Nascar race. The F1 race was broadcast from 1pm EDT to 3pm EDT. The Nascar race didn't start until about 5:15 pm, EDT.

Not only was there a perfect slot of time in which to run the IndyCar race, there was even some extra time in case the race ran over. I don't know why the series didn't run the race from 3 to 5 pm. I don't think there is any good reason. Probably just inertia, laziness, lack of foresight, or a head in the sand attitude.

Whatever the reason, it was a damn good race that shouldn't have had to fight F1 for viewers.

#41 ColdHeart

ColdHeart

• 1,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:10

So the promoter gets full right to run a race at any time they like, even if there's no TV slot open, even if IndyCar doesn't want to run the race then, it's entirely the promoters call?

Yes. Even Bernie wasn't able to move the time of the Australian GP to a time slot he wanted.

And bear in mind that what you are suggesting would result in a race that ended at 6:30 pm local time on a Sunday night, inconveniencing thousands of fans all so the TV telecast _might_ attract a few more viewers. Worth noting that the last F-1 race on Fox had a 0.9 rating so how many folks were really affected?

#42 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 13:10

I believe Iowa's plan is to sell out and then add temporary seats as needed. Once they establish a little history and repeat business, they can add more permanent stands.

And the crowd today was truly amazing given the flooding that occurred.

Yeah, didn't look like there was an empty seat in the place. Quite impressive, given what Iowa has been through.

This year's race was 100x better than last year. Last year was a demolition derby. This year was more like a Richmond race. It was actually an oval race worth watching.

I picked Iowa to be dropped from the schedule withing the next couple of years. I guess I'll have to rethink that.

But (as has already been mentioned), who was the genius who scheduled the F1 and IndyCar races to air at the exact same time...and on network TV, no less? Brilliant move by somebody.

#43 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 15:21

Yes. Even Bernie wasn't able to move the time of the Australian GP to a time slot he wanted.

Bernie has moved any number of race times over the years. That he didn't make Australia a night race had everything to do with the added expense of lighting the track. I suspect the promoter wanted to take that rather large expense out of their sanctioning fee. Had Bernie been truly married to idea, the Aus GP would have been forced to make the switch. Obviously, it just wasn't that important to Bernie.

Singapore will have the first ever F1 night race later this season. If that works out well, look for Bernie to be a lot more forceful in pushing the rest of the far-east races into the evening hours.

And bear in mind that what you are suggesting would result in a race that ended at 6:30 pm local time on a Sunday night, inconveniencing thousands of fans all so the TV telecast _might_ attract a few more viewers. Worth noting that the last F-1 race on Fox had a 0.9 rating so how many folks were really affected?

Ending at 6:30 local? Since when did Iowa go onto Atlantic Daylight Time? (Nova Scotia)

You've got it all mixed up, the more you move west, the more the clock moves back, not forward. Iowa is on Central Daylight TIme, EDT minus one. So the local start time of yesterday's Iowa race was 12:30 Central Daylight Time (1:30 EDT).

Had the race been moved to the preferred 3pm to 5pm EDT slot, the local start time of the race would have been 2pm local, ending at 4pm local, getting everyone out of the race in plenty of time for dinner. Heck, even on east coast time the race would end at 5pm, not 6:30... Maybe you were thinking Newfie Time?

#44 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:48

I was pretty dissapointed in the Iowa race, I thought Milwaukee was great, but this was atrocious.

Andretti was 2 tenths faster but couldn't pass at the end.

Would speedway wings help there?

#45 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:59

Originally posted by jdanton
I was pretty dissapointed in the Iowa race, I thought Milwaukee was great, but this was atrocious.

Andretti was 2 tenths faster but couldn't pass at the end.

Would speedway wings help there?

You watched a different race than I did. Just because you're faster doesn't mean you get an automatic pass. We saw TK running side by side for the first half of the race. It was certainly possible.

As for Andretti, in the closing laps he and Mutho should have teamed up catch up to Wheldon, they didn't, they fought each other. In the battle with Andetti, Mutoh never made a wrong move, Andretti did. In fact, Andretti went low and lost a bunch of time with just a few laps remaining.

I thought it was a good race. Side by side racing was possible, too bad we didn't see any for the final laps, but that was due to the AGR drivers fighting among themselves for 2nd, instead of teaming up for the win.

#46 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:14

You watched a different race than I did. Just because you're faster doesn't mean you get an automatic pass. We saw TK running side by side for the first half of the race. It was certainly possible.

As for Andretti, in the closing laps he and Mutho should have teamed up catch up to Wheldon, they didn't, they fought each other. In the battle with Andetti, Mutoh never made a wrong move, Andretti did. In fact, Andretti went low and lost a bunch of time with just a few laps remaining.

That's exactly how I saw it. I enjoyed the race, and was surprised Andretti didn't at least get second off Mutoh.

#47 jondoe955

jondoe955

• 526 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 19:20

It gave me a headache! All those cars buzzing around like gnats... with one exhaust note - all day.
Some love these little tracks. Not a fan of ovals, this track is way too small for my taste. It was like watching the Indy 500 on FFwd. ;)

#48 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 00:39

Review of the race from The Last Turn Clubhouse. I'd known about Milka, but missed why Roth was a DNS.

http://lastturnclub....d=397&Itemid=71