Photo

What would have been the words between Alonso and Symonds after the race?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Architrion

Architrion

• 180 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:52

Knowing that the most hated thing to Alonso's pride is to be beaten by a teammate....
Knowing that he was shortfueled for a glory run yesterday causing huge damage for the real race today...
Knowing that he was stopped to make a final stint on softs with 28 laps to go, more than 2/3 of the race....

Actually, knowing that the strategic decisions trashed all his weekend....

I'd really give one hand to hear the postrace review inside the Renault Motorhome... and I wouldn't like to be on Flav's skin... ouch

Advertisement

#2 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:56

Yeah "Alonslow" should retire from F1 :lol: :rotfl:

Is that what you wanted to say?

#3 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 15:00

Another bash-thread :down: :down:

At least alonso and lewis drive to the maximum and that is what i like about these guys...always trying their best.

#4 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 15:14

Originally posted by Architrion
Knowing that
Knowing that
Knowing that

The fundamental issue is that the damn Renault is not quick enough, and no amount of overdriving or 'tactical brilliance' is ever going to make up for that much difference. :|

Renault seems a dead end of a team if you are ambitious about your racing career. Nelson's been on back foot because of his performance, but if he improves I think he too would like to get away ASAP from Renault. Fernando should already be negotiating with other teams like BMW, Toyota etc for next year, even if it's a one year + extensions kinda deal. :

#5 Architrion

Architrion

• 180 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 15:25

eeep... :clap: It's not an Alonso bashing fest at all... In fact, the one to blame for such a bad race is his team. Maybe the car isn't fast enough, but I think Mr Symonds looks like an apprentice after today's show. To plan a 28laps stint on soft tyres is not what I'd call a brilliant choice... IMHO

#6 Showty

Showty

• 2,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:03

Originally posted by Architrion
eeep... :clap: It's not an Alonso bashing fest at all... In fact, the one to blame for such a bad race is his team. Maybe the car isn't fast enough, but I think Mr Symonds looks like an apprentice after today's show. To plan a 28laps stint on soft tyres is not what I'd call a brilliant choice... IMHO

I think they were initially on a 3-stops strategy, but the fact Alonso couldnĀ“t escape from Trulli and Kubica ruined that strategy and they had to change to a 2-stops strategy.

Maybe they counted on Alonso on pole as well, but at the end of the day the R28 was not as good as they thought.

With a normal 2 stops strategy they would have been fighting for P6 at best, so not a big lost.

#7 JesseFriz

JesseFriz

• 165 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:21

When you've got a car that's as fundamentally off the pace as the R28 is right now, running conventional strategies will at best keep you in the mid-field, fighting for a point if you're lucky.

I have a feeling Alonso and Pat Symonds have decided to take risky strategies to put that car in position to capitalize on unusual circumstances. If the safety car came out for whatever reason around Alonso's first stop when he was running in the top 4, he would have been in a great position to possibly get a podium. Obviously that didn't happen, and Alonso ended up getting 8th, which is probably where he'd have ended up on a more conventional strategy.

Either way, I'm sure Alonso has a ton of input when it comes to formulating strategies. Symonds knows Alonso's strengths as a driver better then anyone out there, and would be a fool not to include Fernando's ideas.

#8 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:21

its cool they really go for it at some races

im guessing it might be nelson beat me how? :eek:

#9 Kenaltgr

Kenaltgr

• 892 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:23

The only apologizing will be from Simmons who's useless strategies of putting Alonso out with less fuel behind slower cars like Webber.

#10 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:38

When your car isn't fast enough, you have to take some risks and hope they work out for you. Anything less then 1st or with the current situtation less then a podium doesn't mean a thing for Fernando.

I don't think he is going to lose any sleep over having his team mate be 2s ahead of him considering where the team is at this point :rotfl:

He's still pulling the the team up the grid, imagine where'd they be at if he wasn't there.

Paco

#11 Architrion

Architrion

• 180 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:39

Originally posted by JesseFriz
I have a feeling Alonso and Pat Symonds have decided to take risky strategies to put that car in position to capitalize on unusual circumstances. If the safety car came out for whatever reason around Alonso's first stop when he was running in the top 4, he would have been in a great position to possibly get a podium. Obviously that didn't happen, and Alonso ended up getting 8th, which is probably where he'd have ended up on a more conventional strategy.

Either way, I'm sure Alonso has a ton of input when it comes to formulating strategies. Symonds knows Alonso's strengths as a driver better then anyone out there, and would be a fool not to include Fernando's ideas.

Sure there is truth on what you say, but I believe today it was better to continue on a three or even four pit stops strategy. Track was cold, so hard tyres showed no real advantage. He would have been faster than the pack, and in case of rain or Safety Car he would have had a more flexible strategy, so he could pit without loosing too much of the current stint....

#12 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 17:18

Originally posted by Showty

I think they were initially on a 3-stops strategy, but the fact Alonso couldnĀ“t escape from Trulli and Kubica ruined that strategy and they had to change to a 2-stops strategy.

Maybe they counted on Alonso on pole as well, but at the end of the day the R28 was not as good as they thought.

With a normal 2 stops strategy they would have been fighting for P6 at best, so not a big lost.

:up:

#13 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 17:33

Originally posted by jesee
Another bash-thread :down: :down:

At least alonso and lewis drive to the maximum and that is what i like about these guys...always trying their best.

Good point.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 17:43

When the battle is for 7th position, I doubt even Alonso cares too much about being beaten once in a while.

#15 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 17:56

Originally posted by Paco

He's still pulling the the team up the grid, imagine where'd they be at if he wasn't there.

Paco

This is the bit I don't get. He isn't pulling them anywhere. They are still regularly beaten by Red Bull. They are still low points scorers as best, and apart from the step made with the new aero pre Spain - they haven't made any significant advances. Sure Fred's gone out on a couple of glory runs in Q3 but the results and real improvements just aren't there. They were having a better time of it last year with Kova and Fisi.

#16 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 18:38

Maybe i'm off my rocker, but I think Renault would be further back then they are now had Alsonso not joined them.

Considering how tight it is in the midfield between 7-14; just a few tenths that Alsonso is bring them this year is making it an "ok" year vs. a disaster. Miracle runs or not, they are still better with him then without him.

That's just the way i see, but then again, who am I?

Paco

P.S. Unlike good old James Allen etc.. I'm at least impartial. Don't really care who wins or loses this year. Just watching for probably the 1st time in years not routing for anyone and just taking in races.

#17 united

united

• 814 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:07

The beginning of the thread reminds me of a certain ABBA song - knowing you, knowing me, aha.

#18 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:43

Originally posted by primer
Renault seems a dead end of a team if you are ambitious about your racing career.

Because there's no chance of doing one not-so-spectacular season with Renault and then getting called up to a top team.