Photo

Surely Kimi's car should be underweight ? at the end of the race at Magny Cours ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 3barboost

3barboost

• 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48

Hi all

I love Ferrari as much as the next man with an interest in F1 - but does anyone have details of the weight of the car at the post race weigh in at Magny Cours ? Surely it must be under weight !

There were bits of body work missing / some exhaust header pipes were missing / lambda sensor / parts of the airbox etc all of these items have a mass and with a car being so close to minimum weight at the end of a race I would expect the Ferrari to be under weight.

From what I can "deduce" from the rules - if a car has "contact" and is under weight due to the contact and loss of parts thats "forgivable" but if mechanical components are missing then its not tolerated (otherwise all that Flav or someone needs to do is create a self destructing car that loses pieces every few laps) to create an artifical advantage for itself - so is Kimi car within the rules and correctly weighted or is it underweight ?

thoughts / comments all welcomed

Advertisement

#2 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:51

Originally posted by 3barboost
Hi all

I love Ferrari as much as the next man with an interest in F1 - but does anyone have details of the weight of the car at the post race weigh in at Magny Cours ? Surely it must be under weight !

There were bits of body work missing / some exhaust header pipes were missing / lambda sensor / parts of the airbox etc all of these items have a mass and with a car being so close to minimum weight at the end of a race I would expect the Ferrari to be under weight.

From what I can "deduce" from the rules - if a car has "contact" and is under weight due to the contact and loss of parts thats "forgivable" but if mechanical components are missing then its not tolerated (otherwise all that Flav or someone needs to do is create a self destructing car that loses pieces every few laps) to create an artifical advantage for itself - so is Kimi car within the rules and correctly weighted or is it underweight ?

Kimi is popular guy nowadays on this BB ;) Im sure they weighded the car and if it were under the limit he would have been DQed

#3 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:00

The exhaust would be designed to be as light as possible. Together with the weight of the cable and sensor, and the few sq cm of bodywork missing, you're talking what, 1kg, max?

They always leave room with the weight limit. Hell Ferrari may have thrown an extra kg of fuel in at the last stop...

#4 jsadie

jsadie

• 125 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:06

If you loose parts from your car from accident damage etc - you do not have to fall within the 605 KG rule , you can submit a report to the FIA

#5 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,552 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:17

Originally posted by JForce
Hell Ferrari may have thrown an extra kg of fuel in at the last stop...

Fuel doesn't count towards minimum weight, just ask BAR.

I think jsadie most likely has the correct explanation.

#6 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:22

Cry me another river ;) Or read the rules.

#7 xman

xman

• 853 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:24

http://www.fia.com/e...Race_Report.pdf

All car weights and the items checked were found to be in conformity with the 2008 FIA Formula One
Technical Regulations.

Jo Bauer
FIA Formula One Technical Delegate

This should answer the thread starters question.

#8 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 400 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:24

official technicar report, found at http://www.fia.com/e...Race_Report.pdf

explicitely states that (amongst others) car 1 has been weighted after the race and All car weights and the items checked were found to be in conformity with the 2008 FIA Formula One
Technical Regulations.

Case closed?

#9 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:27

Originally posted by 3barboost
...otherwise all someone needs to do is create a self destructing car that loses pieces every few laps...

Someone already has

They call it an RA08

#10 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

what´s going on here?
Kimi should get a penalty because of the engine change, kimi should have been black flagged, his car underweight... :rotfl:
Who is going to open a thread that Kimi should get a race ban, because he is kimi?

#11 3barboost

3barboost

• 2 posts

it appears that all was legal and then I am all happy

#12 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,756 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:30

Originally posted by micra_k10
Cry me another river ;) Or read the rules.

Why read the rules when its so much funner to keep up the flame-wars. At least that's what a lot of "new posters" seem to enjoy doing.

I mean this guy doesn't even have any facts. Just "assumes" Kimi MUST be underweight therefore he MUST be punished.

#13 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,552 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:40

I've had a look through the rules and can't find anything that says that being underweight due to damage is ok.

So to those who keep saying "read the rules": IF Kimi was under 605kg thanks to losing the exhaust, under what rule is that ok?

DISCLAIMER: I don't think there should be any penalty, I'm just interested in where this is catered for under the rules.

#14 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:43

Originally posted by GrzegorzChyla
official technicar report, found at http://www.fia.com/e...Race_Report.pdf

explicitely states that (amongst others) car 1 has been weighted after the race and All car weights and the items checked were found to be in conformity with the 2008 FIA Formula One
Technical Regulations.

Case closed?

I wish they would submit the actual weight data they gained :p

#15 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:45

Originally posted by hello86
what´s going on here?
Kimi should get a penalty because of the engine change, kimi should have been black flagged, his car underweight... :rotfl:
Who is going to open a thread that Kimi should get a race ban, because he is kimi?

Well have a little empathy for the boys now will you, they see the rest of this season staring them in the face and that is a rest-of-the-season with 2 red cars bringing home WDC and WCC easily.

It must be frustrating to see that the car of the team you support cannot quite match the speed of it's original and that the team and driver drop the ball repeatedly, hence the please-penalize-Ferrari/Kimi threads.

#16 rfus

rfus

• 648 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:57

Originally posted by Sébastien

Well have a little empathy for the boys now will you, they see the rest of this season staring them in the face and that is a rest-of-the-season with 2 red cars bringing home WDC and WCC easily.

It must be frustrating to see that the car of the team you support cannot quite match the speed of it's original and that the team and driver drop the ball repeatedly, hence the please-penalize-Ferrari/Kimi threads.

The funny thing is op is a Ferrari fan and pretty much every post in this thread has been from a Ferrari fan, unless there are some other people making comments who are on my ignore list.

But you didn't read the thread did you ?

#17 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 13:00

Originally posted by hello86
what´s going on here?

I saw kimi smile :D Ban the bastard ;)

#18 eoin

eoin

• 5,015 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 13:07

Even if it was underweight it probably would still pass. I believe there is a rule to cover the loss of parts of a car in the race.

#19 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 13:09

It's a conspiracy. If the FIA had followed the rules they would've banned team and driver for 5 races.

Advertisement

#20 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 511 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 13:19

Originally posted by mursuka80

I saw kimi smile :D Ban the bastard ;)

Yes indeed, infact lets get his DNA tested to see if he really is Kimi! Cause kimi never smiles, i think the game is up......this guy is an imposter! :cat:
Ferrari should be reduced to running a single car for the rest of the season.
The other car should be painted silver with the #22 and handed over to Mclaren at once! :mad:

#21 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 13:26

teams normaly allow 5kg maybe over, to cover oil loss and stuff like that, and drivers lose weight over the race too..

#22 Hammerlynx

Hammerlynx

• 29 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 17:03

Kimi should be punished of oilprice, Sudan human rights, greenhouse pheomena and several other serious things. Thank god we have pr-boy to save the planet. What a crab is this? :rolleyes: