Photo

Moog tapped to produce Ferrari simulator

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 19:32

Ferrari Selects Moog for Formula-1 Simulator 06/18/2008 EAST AURORA, N.Y. June 18, 2008 -- Moog Inc. (NYSE: MOG.A and MOG.B ) announced today that Ferrari has placed an order for the engineering, design, development and deployment of a next-generation driving simulator to be located at Ferrari's headquarters in Maranello, Italy. The system includes a driving simulator featuring a customized motion control solution with combined motion mechanism, control loading system, complete software package, top platform and a dedicated operator workstation. Marco Fainello, Head of the Car Performance and R&D Department for Scuderia Ferrari, stated, "The dynamic driving simulator is a new step for us in developing virtual tests that give drivers the true feel of a real environment and direct feedback on their actions. We have been impressed with Moog's motion control expertise and their ability to make every detail of the mechanical design a key to improving overall system performance, as well as the comfort and security of our drivers. This dynamic driving simulator will support the new breed of tests we are planning to launch to support our future success." "It is a great opportunity for us to demonstrate our expertise in motion control and testing systems and develop a new breed of test system with our customer," said Pim van den Dijssel, Market Manager for Test Systems at Moog in Europe. "Ferrari selected Moog to provide an integrated motion control and testing system designed to meet specific and demanding requirements such as: higher levels of fidelity, efficiency and longevity." With more than 500 motion bases developed for leading customers around the world, Moog is a global leader in the design, development and manufacture of electric and hydraulic motion platforms that span a variety of key applications with payloads ranging from 1,000 Kg (2,200 lbs) to 14,500 Kg (32,000 lbs). Moog Inc. is a worldwide designer, manufacturer, and integrator of precision control components and systems. Moog's high-performance systems control military and commercial aircraft, satellites and space vehicles, launch vehicles, missiles, automated industrial machinery, marine and medical equipment. Additional information about the company can be found at http://www.moog.com.

http://www.moog.com/...-/release_5141/

via http://www.autoblog....rari-simulator/

"...Although the terms of the deal between Moog and Ferrari were not released, Moog's stock prices shot up last Wednesday following the announcement..."

Advertisement

#2 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,643 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 19:59

I expect Ferrari to produce some fantastic Synth and Basslines from here on forth.

#3 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 20:11

I hope they release a version for the Playstation :D

#4 reason

reason

• 132 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 20:23

Originally posted by The Big Guns
I expect Ferrari to produce some fantastic Synth and Basslines from here on forth.

Was just thinking the same..... :D

Edit: Isn´t Kimi good in karaoke...

#5 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 21:07

I thought they were already finishing up their hi tech simulator in turin (the one Gene tests at). Obviously there's an even higher tech version in production. Would be Interesting to find out what the new "breed of tests" they are planning to launch consist of...

#6 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 21:58

I always thought they should have an airbag suit that puts pressure on parts of the body or the whole body to represent G forces. If you queeze the driver against the side of the cockpit its bound to feel more real and if you pull his head to one side he'll only want to resist.
There is so much more that can be done with proper display goggles and better HD software and mechanics.

#7 rye&ginger

rye&ginger

• 231 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 00:06

+2 :cool:

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:03

I loved Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman's work on those things....

;)

Jp

#9 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:59

Originally posted by reason

Was just thinking the same..... :D

Edit: Isn´t Kimi good in karaoke...

I as well - Geddy Lee should be delighted!

#10 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 13:11

Is it the same company as the legendary synth maker?

#11 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 13:34

Originally posted by potmotr

Yamaha seem to manage both motorsports and music :)

(albeit run as entirely separate entities, Yamaha Pro Audio, and Yamaha Motor Company, but both, I believe, within the Yamaha Corporation group).

#12 rhm

rhm

• 990 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 14:21

Originally posted by potmotr

No.

#13 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 14:28

Originally posted by rhm

No.

So I presume the same company which makes Moog valves?

#14 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 14:31

Originally posted by quasi C
I thought they were already finishing up their hi tech simulator in turin (the one Gene tests at). Obviously there's an even higher tech version in production. Would be Interesting to find out what the new "breed of tests" they are planning to launch consist of...

Simulatore al Centro Ricerche Fiat di Orbassano yes...

But this partnership has only just started, it's going to take quite a while before they actually have the simulator ready (though I hope a lot of already collected info from the Orbassano simulator will be able to be transferred), I actually thought they would have one planted in Maranello this summer already...

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,821 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 15:22

Now, with McLaren having it and Ferrari close to that, all other teams should do the same. Then they can connect it to Internet and move all racing there :)

Cheap and 100% environment friendly... With proper HD broadcast online we won't even see the difference.

Plus one big advantage we can have custome made weather conditions :p