Photo

Lewis at the crossroad!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
299 replies to this topic

#1 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:40

Here we are a week away from the British GP of 2008 and what do we find but none other than Lewis Hamilton at a crossroad in his rollercoaster season/career. I can’t help but feel that this race and the next few races are going to go a long way to defining what we will think of Lewis Hamilton for the future No doubt there will be a huge amount of pressure on the young lad at this next GP. This raises some interesting questions.

Will Lewis ride above the din of the fans and the press and win the race in a dominating style?

What does Lewis need to do to achieve that result?

Will the pressure get to young Mr. Hamilton causing some type of race damaging/ending mistake?

Will the car work for him?

I can imagine two extremes in outcome and the real result may be anywhere in between

Best: Pole in Q with a nice post Q PC where Lewis gives all the credit to the team and the car. Then on to the race where Lewis gets the win and the fastest lap followed by a post race Podium and PC where Lewis again remains the humble player in the Mac team giving credit to the team and the car and talking down the importance of his own contribution to the effort.

Worst: See Canada / France / Bahrain

Middle: Lewis settles for a nice clean third behind Massa and Kimi

What do you think will happen?

Advertisement

#2 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:42

Originally posted by SlateGray
Here we are a week away from the British GP of 2008 and what do we find but none other than Lewis Hamilton at a crossroad in his rollercoaster season/career. I can’t help but feel that this race and the next few races are going to go a long way to defining what we will think of Lewis Hamilton for the future No doubt there will be a huge amount of pressure on the young lad at this next GP. This raises some interesting questions.

Will Lewis ride above the din of the fans and the press and win the race in a dominating style?

Will the pressure get to young Mr. Hamilton causing some type of race damaging/ending mistake?

I can imagine two extremes in outcome and the real result may be anywhere in between

Best: Pole in Q with a nice post Q PC where Lewis gives all the credit to the team and the car. Then on to the race where Lewis gets the win and the fastest lap followed by a post race Podium and PC where Lewis again remains the humble player in the Mac team giving credit to the team and the car and talking down the importance of his own contribution to the effort.

HAHAHAHA your obsessed with Lewis!!!! ;)

#3 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:45

Isnt this the same as the thread that got closed?"form of hamilton" :lol: You are sneaky

#4 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:49

Posted Image

I think lewis will be fine when he gets to tap that ass in a motorhome :p

#5 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:50

Knowing Lewis, probably win the grand prix.

He might be a bit of a nob, but I think it is foolish to think that he'll be anything but a serious challenger for the race win in a weeks' time.

#6 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:51

No

Rain, and (or) Both Ferrari's retire.

Depends if there is a Ferrari close in front.

I don't work for McLaren, don't ask such things.

Dunno. What I do know though is that this thread will turn into yet another "Lets Bash Lewis" thread.

#7 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:51

he will settle for 3rd and risk losing the championships chances by august if the ferraris don´t blow up.
unless he wants to 'beat hard on them' and puts himself in a dnf position again: in any case we will possibly see the end of his championship dreams.

#8 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,707 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:53

No.

Jump into Massa's car.

Probably not.

Depends on the engineers.

#9 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:54

Did he bump into Robert Johnson while he was there?

#10 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 14:57

I'm sure he'll say something that makes everyone (even his fans) cringe...

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:07

Here we are a week away from the British GP of 2008 and what do we find but none other than Lewis Hamilton at a crossroad in his rollercoaster season/career.

You can't have a crossroads in a rollercoaster. That would be hideous.

#12 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:20

Originally posted by ensign14

You can't have a crossroads in a rollercoaster. That would be hideous.

Especially if they had red lights :D

(sorry...couldn´t resist)

#13 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:22

Nobody can break Lewis the new Senna as he's so strong mentally. Despite being picked-on by FIA he'll go to next race and hit 'em hard. :up:

#14 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:27

My prediction? This thread won't last until the race.

#15 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:29

Reliable sources near me said Lewis just farted. How will this affect the WC outcome?

Who cares, give the guy a break :rolleyes:

#16 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:31

Originally posted by Enkei
Reliable sources near me said Lewis just farted. How will this affect the WC outcome?

Who cares, give the guy a break :rolleyes:

Really I though he had his butt sealed for aerodynamic reasons ;)

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:32

Originally posted by Mika Mika

That might be what Ron told him but...

#18 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:35

Originally posted by Buttoneer
That might be what Ron told him but...

:rotfl:

I think he was a little scared of Ze Punishment from Max ;)

#19 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:42

HAHAHAHA your obsessed with Lewis!!!! ;)

It's amazing how much he is.

Advertisement

#20 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:47

Wise words from Lauda, here: http://www.guardian....lton.formulaone

I think it's a bit silly to suggest the next race is some sort of crossroads, it implies he will be irrevocably set on one path of another. It's truer to say that his inexperience is showing and he's beginning to look like a rough diamond rather than the polished stone we saw in the first half of last season.

What will he do in Silverstone? Well the smart money is on a Ferrari 1-2, so if he's sensible he'll aim to scoop 3rd and hope the Scuderia suffers a few hiccups.

#21 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 15:48

If they could seal his mouth...

#22 Deeq

Deeq

• 9,459 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 16:12

Originally posted by F1Johnny

It's amazing how much he is.

You now know what any MS/Ferrari fan had been contending with the last 8 -10 years ;), the guy is tenacious in his pet causes.....

Originally posted by ensign14

You can't have a crossroads in a rollercoaster.

Not if you are the British rail network..;)

Under Bliar and his minions

#23 Tigershark

Tigershark

• 996 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 16:14

Lewis at a crossroad? Hardly. Much of this current media spectacle is just that; spectacle. Add in some ex-drivers and ex-teambosses who parrot the media narrative to get their own name and face in the papers and it easily becomes the next big story.

I very much doubt there is anyone at Ferrari or BMW who does not consider Hamilton a contender for victory in the British Grand Prix and indeed the championship.

#24 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 16:18

I think we should just let him be and do this kind of judgement much later. Or do you think Prost or Senna didn't have ups and downs? Yeah some mistakes, some of them ridiculous, but still 10 points only. Kimi was 26 behind the leader last year. He's got a lot of time ahead to shut many mouths.

#25 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 16:30

Originally posted by Orin
I think it's a bit silly to suggest the next race is some sort of crossroads, it implies he will be irrevocably set on one path of another. It's truer to say that his inexperience is showing and he's beginning to look like a rough diamond rather than the polished stone we saw in the first half of last season.

What will he do in Silverstone? Well the smart money is on a Ferrari 1-2, so if he's sensible he'll aim to scoop 3rd and hope the Scuderia suffers a few hiccups.

Scary I agree, if he doesn't let himself be distracted and focuses on the on-track matters he should be OK.
Shut-up and drive that's basically it for Lewis right now, not an easy task though for a kid his age with that much pressure and attention on him during his home GP.

#26 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,554 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 17:03

I'm sure he'll say something that makes everyone (even his fans) cringe...

Too true, too true ... :( ;)

#27 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 17:18

Originally posted by Bloggsworth

nice one :D

#28 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 17:19

Here we are a week away from the British GP of 2008 and what do we find but none other than Lewis Hamilton at a crossroad in his rollercoaster season/career.

Don't be so melodramatic and ridiculous.

He's started less GP's than almost every other driver on the grid.

He's very far away from being at a crossroads.

#29 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 17:42

its no more important than any other race, repeat of his monaco drive would be cool tho..

#30 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,814 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 17:57

You wouldn't believe that slategray was a middle aged man would you.

#31 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 18:26

Originally posted by Sébastien

Scary I agree, if he doesn't let himself be distracted and focuses on the on-track matters he should be OK.
Shut-up and drive that's basically it for Lewis right now, not an easy task though for a kid his age with that much pressure and attention on him during his home GP.

You´ve actually hit the nail on the head. Lewis needs to be told/instructed how to behave outside the car, and not in it, as some have suggested regarding the Magny Cours incident with Vettel.

#32 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 18:53

Originally posted by se7en_24
You wouldn't believe that slategray was a middle aged man would you.

Are you serious? :eek:

#33 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 18:54

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

You´ve actually hit the nail on the head. Lewis needs to be told/instructed how to behave outside the car, and not in it, as some have suggested regarding the Magny Cours incident with Vettel.

I agree. He needs a chaperon.

#34 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 19:52

Originally posted by F1Johnny

I agree. He needs a chaperon.

:rolleyes:

I hope he starts third on the grid, manages to overtake both ferraris in some demon outbraking moves, wins the race by 20 or so seconds, then comes on here to find out what he did wrong, how he could of done it better, what he should be doing, and that the next race will be a 'crossroads' or the race after that, or maybe the one after that. Maybe

#35 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 20:04

http://www.xpb.cc/vi...e.asp?id=255946

"YOU STFU!!!" :lol:

#36 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 20:30

Originally posted by SevenTwoSeven

:rolleyes:

I hope he starts third on the grid, manages to overtake both ferraris in some demon outbraking moves, wins the race by 20 or so seconds, then comes on here to find out what he did wrong, how he could of done it better, what he should be doing, and that the next race will be a 'crossroads' or the race after that, or maybe the one after that. Maybe

I support Lewis, but he does need to be monitored outside the car, especially recently.

#37 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 20:45

He's 23 for god's sake.
Crossroad in his career? Definetely not.
This season? Maybe, but don't forget Kimi last year...

#38 mstar

mstar

• 1,834 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 21:20

well maybe its lewis partying around with that pussycat doll nicole, he was at the clubs during the birthday bash for nelson mandela and no doubt after partys with nicole (the party doll) and no doubt the other rap stars he seems to hang around with

maybe taking the eye of the ball a little??

#39 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by Bloggsworth

Or Benny?

Advertisement

#40 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,278 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 21:29

Isn't Lewis signed long term for mega-millions? He has no problems.

#41 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 21:40

Home race is some sort of mental test for Hamilton but I cant see it as any crossroad.

#42 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,390 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 22:26

Calm you down, he's a little less than 23 and a half years old. At that age:

-Räikkönen had just won his first GP.

-Alonso was yet to start a season with a race winning car.

-Schumacher was yet to win a race!

-Senna, Prost, Piquet and Mansell (¡the big four of the 80s!) were yet to drive a Formula 1 car! Same for Hill.

-Häkkinen was struggling with a crappy Lotus.

So in that sense he has already done a lot more than them. Actually, is there any driver who had more than a win at Lewis' current age?

#43 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 22:45

Originally posted by Ferrim

-Senna, Prost, Piquet and Mansell (¡the big four of the 80s!) were yet to drive a Formula 1 car! Same for Hill.

So in that sense he has already done a lot more than them. Actually, is there any driver who had more than a win at Lewis' current age?

Alonso won his first F1 race aged 22 and 3 weeks. Lewis won his first F1 race aged 22 and 5 months.

Lewis also had the rather unique position of driving a dominant car at an early age. Alonso, for example, didn't. He won aged less than Lewis despite being in a far inferior car to what Lewis has experienced. Schumacher also won aged 23, again in a car that wasn't dominant. Lewis has never driven an F1 car that wasn't either fastest or 2nd fastest, (depending on the track), so in that sense your analysis is complete tosh.

#44 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,707 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 23:32

Originally posted by Josta
Lewis has never driven an F1 car that wasn't either fastest or 2nd fastest, (depending on the track), so in that sense your analysis is complete tosh.

Alonso never won in a car that wasn't either. Same as Hamilton and most winning GP drivers of the last decade bar a few flukes.

#45 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 23:39

For Lewis to be a the crossroads he'd have to be approaching the point where his career either goes downhill into oblivion or uphill into stratospheric success. But those crossroads are far from approaching yet. He could have a bad second season like everyone predicted he would and still come back and win many titles.

#46 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 23:39

alonso had a few years in f1 behind him at that point.

both have had amazing success tbh

#47 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 23:50

Originally posted by Ferrim

None of them had cracked so hard under pressure that they got stuck deep near pit entry or that they took the race leader out in pits. ****ing awesome.

#48 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 23:51

I think Giancarlo Minardi's words are correct and also for that matter the comments of Bernie.

The problem is the media has built Lewis up and thus expectations are extremely high, the issue is that Lewis is not the best guy on the track. Kubica and Alonso are considered (and rightly so) to be better drivers than Lewis and in terms of controlled pace and handling pressure Kimi is also better then Lewis. For that matter in terms of dealing with the media Kimi is a lot better also, sometimes saying nothing is better than talking sh*t and making a fool of yourself.;)

If people assess these facts then what Lewis is achieving is not so bad. Just because the media keeps pumping him up as the best on the grid, doesn't mean everyone believes it and the multitude of mistakes he is making also suggests that this is not the case.

The real issue is that he is in the 2nd best or best car on the grid (track dependent) and therefore should be perhaps getting better results.

You don't see the media attacking Kimi do you and he does not have that many points more then Lewis, nor has he made as many mistakes, but the point is that if Lewis want's to continue to play the media game he has to understand that one minute you are their darling and the next you and rubbish. If he can't deal with that then concentrate on the racing alone and give minimal sound bites to the media and don't go accussing them of attacking you. That is not smart. If he did a good job on trak they would have nothing to attack.

Is he at the cross roads???? In terms of the championship this season, almost. In terms of his career, no.

But i get the feeling that unless Mclaren have a 1988 season he wont win a championship in a straight fight against Kubica, Alonso or Kimi in equal machinery. We could have another DC and JB on our hands, someone the media clings to in Britain as the next British world champ not because of outright ability over their competitors but because he is the best opportunity for a british world champ even if still below par of a world champ.

Just my opinion, Lewis is good but he is not being managed well by McLaren or the PR idiots. Yes Mr. Bishop this was aimed at you.

Lewis has a lot of learning to do but first he needs a good teacher. Unfortunately Brawn is at Honda.

#49 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 00:02

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
Alonso never won in a car that wasn't either. Same as Hamilton and most winning GP drivers of the last decade bar a few flukes.

Err, Alonso won in a car that was slower than Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. In other words, the 4th fastest car. Lewis has won in a car that really won the WCC, (in terms of points), in his first year. Please tell me when Lewis has ever driven a car comparable to the 2003 Renault?

#50 pablo_a

pablo_a

• 137 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 00:50

Originally posted by mursuka80

Posted Image

I think lewis will be fine when he gets to tap that ass in a motorhome :p

LMAO - gold!