Earnhardt Jr. to race in second-tier V8Supercar race for fun

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:24

http://www.wheelsmag...rcar debut.html

Joins such other illustrous international motorsport names to race in the series such as Alex Yoong ;) .

vid

Advertisement

#2 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:27

Well if twice V8 Supercar champion Marcos Ambrose can impress on a NASCAR road course....

What is Dale Jr's road course form like?

#3 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:29

Actually, didn't Dale Jr race a LMGT1 Corvette a few years back?

#4 Bumper

Bumper

• 1,967 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:39

I know he was in the paddock at the Island last year, that's pretty cool he's actually going to race at Oran Park.

#5 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:40

I think Oran Park will be a bit of a culture shock. Last time I was there it was hardly Australia's most pristine motorsports facility! A great track though.

#6 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,801 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:46

:lol: Massive culture shock, they eat their young out there.

The days of foreign drivers cutting the mustard have gone. The top teir V8 series is so professional now that any import I've seen for 10 years is just slow. Now this is second tier and jnr is in it for fun but I still think the pace will surprise him.

He should try it in October ;)

#7 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:55

OK so are you talking about the racers or the fans in terms of culture shock?

#8 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 13:11

Its basically the type of place you see stray dogs eating out of used diapers on the side of the road.

#9 Denier

Denier

• 669 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 13:37

It is hard to culture shock NASCAR drivers.

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 15:06

Originally posted by kamix
Its basically the type of place you see stray dogs eating out of used diapers on the side of the road.

Lovely.....What an image.
Now...
I have more and more time for Jr.
Being here in the States for a while I have had to endure the Hammy style treatment the media dishes out on him.
He takes it all in stride and never seems to want to be anyone other than himself.

I loved his in-car radio from Sonoma.
"Tell Juan to Go...He got to GO..he's a pro"

He seems genuinely interested in all forms of racing and knows a fair bit about F1 too.

Jp

#11 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 15:11

He's going to be embarassed, but hopes he has fun.

He likes road racing, but if he is complaining about not liking Sonoma, he will find most V8Supercar venues terrible.

#12 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 15:51

Ah fair play to him, it is always nice to see drivers trying other disciplines

#13 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 15:57

Originally posted by potmotr

What is Dale Jr's road course form like?

Not especially good or bad, I think he's had a couple of top-5 runs (finishes and before breaking) but has never contended for a win. His last appearance driving the Corvette ended with a huge fire that destroyed the car and got the series more national press that it has from anything else in recent years. I haven't seen a supercar recently, but keep in mind he's coming from driving the ungainly new NASCAR car, so he might find it refreshing.

#14 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 16:07

The V8 machines are more stock than a Nascar stock car.

I think his biggest change to the cars will be the seating position. From left to the right.

#15 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 16:20

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker
OK so are you talking about the racers or the fans in terms of culture shock?

how can you shock someone who has no culture?

#16 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 16:50

Originally posted by kamix

So those who think that type of atmosphere would shock Earnhardt don't know much about NASCAR.

Reference Talladega infield. Watch the 60 Minutes segment where he drives through the infield in a 'Vette with Mike Wallace.

I agree that Oz as a whole is about as rough-and-tumble as it gets if that's what you're looking for.

NASCAR eats dogs eating out of diapers for breakfast. And then wants the baby for seconds.

A dingo ate your baby? My baby ate a dingo.

I think he'll get along just fine.

#17 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 17:27

Originally posted by Rexx Havoc

how can you shock someone who has no culture?

I don't know, you tell me :lol:;)

#18 racer69

racer69

• 225 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:13

Originally posted by Alfisti
The days of foreign drivers cutting the mustard have gone. The top teir V8 series is so professional now that any import I've seen for 10 years is just slow.

Yvan Muller didn't do too badly a few years back.

#19 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:22

[QUOTE]Originally posted by racer69

Yvan Muller didn't do too badly a few years back.
[/QUOTE

Really the second-tier series is full of open wheelers trying to get used to the heavy, unreponsive tourers and production car drivers trying to get used to the light, lively tourers ;) ... And it's dominated by the lesser known V8 drivers from way back, but anyhow Earnhardt should be up the front because that's the winning car and the gaps in the class are usually fairly large.

Advertisement

#20 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:39

I think there is no reason why Earnhardt can't do well in the second-tier V8 Series.
Aside from some emerging stars, much of the field is composed of pay drivers and wealthy amateurs.
A few years ago a guy called Grant Denyer, a part-time racer and full time weather man, entered and did a good job and was able to fun up the front. There is no reason why someone like Earnhardt can't do the same.
The so-called 'Main Game' top V8 series might be a little bit beyond him initially, but there is no reason why he can't get up to speed. I think there is a tendency in Australia to glorify the ability of the local drivers, but lets not forget series hero Craig Lowdnes had a full season of European F3000 in 1997 and got absolutely nowhere. James Courtney did well in British F3 and was a Jaguar Racing tester before failing to attract the attention of any other teams. So the top Supercar drivers are very good pros, but Dale Jnr. could surely adapt.

#21 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 13:01

dale cant always speak well, but dang he can drive well, pretty cool hes having a go :up: