Photo

Who is the most popular top driver? (All Drivers now listed)

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the most popular top driver? (All Drivers now listed) (497 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Fernando Alonso (79 votes [15.90%])

Percentage of vote: 15.90%

2. Lewis Hamilton (51 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

3. Kimi Raikkonen (154 votes [30.99%])

Percentage of vote: 30.99%

4. Felipe Massa (37 votes [7.44%])

Percentage of vote: 7.44%

5. Robert Kubica (57 votes [11.47%])

Percentage of vote: 11.47%

6. Nick Heidfeld (7 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

7. Heikki Kovalainen (13 votes [2.62%])

Percentage of vote: 2.62%

8. Nico Rosberg (8 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

9. Jarno Trulli (10 votes [2.01%])

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

10. Mark Webber (28 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

11. Sebastian Vettel (9 votes [1.81%])

Percentage of vote: 1.81%

12. Jenson Button (9 votes [1.81%])

Percentage of vote: 1.81%

13. David Coulthard (10 votes [2.01%])

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

14. Rubens Barrichello (5 votes [1.01%])

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

15. Adrian Sutil (2 votes [0.40%])

Percentage of vote: 0.40%

16. Kazuki Nakijima (3 votes [0.60%])

Percentage of vote: 0.60%

17. Timo Glock (1 votes [0.20%])

Percentage of vote: 0.20%

18. Nelson Piquet Jr (4 votes [0.80%])

Percentage of vote: 0.80%

19. Giancarlo Fisichella (6 votes [1.21%])

Percentage of vote: 1.21%

20. Sebastien Bourdais (4 votes [0.80%])

Percentage of vote: 0.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mat Rempit

Mat Rempit

• 176 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 00:22

Make a poll and vote. I wanna see the result

Advertisement

#2 hedges

hedges

• 1,227 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 00:39

No Kubica? Poor options really.

Of the choices given, I'm split between Massa and Kimi but Massa wins it by a whisker.

I think maybe Hamilton might win this as Ferrari fans might be more split over Kimi and Massa than McLaren fans over Hamilton and Kova (who isn't even in the poll).

#3 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 00:39

What defines top driver? Robert Kubica, Nick Heidfeld and Heikki Kovalainen are all above Alonso in the drivers championship standings. Why not include them? Or for that matter, the whole 2008 field?

#4 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 00:45

For the record Lewis Hamilton is my favorite driver from the four you've selected.
Brave, spectacular and not afraid to speak his mind and show the world's he's confident.
(And I'll add IMO here. Don't want a flamefest on Hamilton. It's tedious :cool: )

#5 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:04

You have 12 poll options why limit it in this way. No vote from me.

#6 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,463 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:05

Narayan Karthikeyan.
He might literally have a billion fans.
:)

#7 Bogs

Bogs

• 338 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:06

No Kubica, no vote.

#8 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:19

Ive extended the poll to include all current F1 drivers....

#9 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,458 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:52

dale jr
f1, gotta be sato :)

#10 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,883 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:12

Judging from some of the positive comments around this board is has to be Hamilton :up:

#11 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:15

Mark Webber is more popular than Lewis Hamilton? :confused: :confused: Australia has like 1/3rd the population of the UK, and half of those are expat poms anyway.

Doesn't make sense :-)

#12 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,785 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:18

It's not really the right question either. I can't vote on who is the most popular, only which is my favourite.
I could vote on who I think is the most popular, but that more or less translates as who I think is least disliked. Probably Hakkinen, then.

#13 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:29

The poll itself has the specific question:

Please vote your favourite top driver

Just the thread topic title is misleading.

#14 hello86

hello86

• 3,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:32

Kimi for me :clap:

I also cheer for Kubi and Vettel.

A can´t stand Massa, Ham, Webber, Couldhard and Button (the last four really talk way too much instead of driving)

about the rest: I couldn´t care less. :cool:

#15 howardt

howardt

• 2,102 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:32

I think that, in the UK at least, there are millions of "Hamilton fans" who basically know nothing at all about F1 and certainly have never heard of this BB. The same may very well be true of each country's 'local hero'. As Atrieu says, Karthikeyan has a billion fans.
What I'm trying to say is, you'll get a different answer on this BB (where owning up to being a Lewis-fan or a Fernando-fan is a recipe for a tirade of personal abuse) to the answer you'd get by stopping people in the street, because of the skewed population here.

#16 yr

yr

• 5,768 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:33

I think Kimi will win this poll, simply because he is best driver of current bunch and best one usually gets most followers. ;)

#17 Bumper

Bumper
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,966 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:41

Originally posted by kar

I can change the topic title for you guys, but I think some of you have already voted for who they *think* is the most popular driver, while others have ticked their own favourite driver. Two different things.

#18 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:46

Originally posted by kar

Or the Thread title has a specific question, and the poll is misleading ?

I voted for who I though the most popular top driver is, not who my favourite is, as the thread title asked.

I'd say the 3 most popular drivers are Alonso/Hamilton/Kimi, but Alonso/Hamilton are also the most disliked, so Kimi wins easily.

#19 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,597 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:05

Originally posted by kar
Mark Webber is more popular than Lewis Hamilton? :confused: :confused: Australia has like 1/3rd the population of the UK, and half of those are expat poms anyway.

Doesn't make sense :-)

Possibly people are responding to the question in the thread title and voting for the driver they consider to be the most popular, and not voting in some sort of reflex action for their own countryman.

Advertisement

#20 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,683 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:15

Originally posted by Bumper

I can change the topic title for you guys, but I think some of you have already voted for who they *think* is the most popular driver, while others have ticked their own favourite driver. Two different things.

Yeah, I voted who I think is the most popular but now realise that I should have been voting for my favourite. Whoopsie.

#21 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:25

Originally posted by howardt
I think that, in the UK at least, there are millions of "Hamilton fans" ...

That's what ITV seem to think. I believe the reality is somewhat different.

#22 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,597 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:28

Well at 137 votes it's Kimi at the top, however you slice it, and probably not going to change a lot now. A lot of very good reasons to vote Kimi so I'm not surprised, but I am really surprised at Hammy's low vote, I had thought he was being bashed by a vocal minority, but he does look simply unpopular. I can sort of see why, I suppose, though I really like him.

#23 secessionman

secessionman

• 160 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:54

I'm not sure how many votes had been cast by the time the other drivers were added but it's fair to say that the four drivers at the top of the list gained a few votes as a result of the limited options earlier.

ITV (and BBC aswell for that matter) should see this poll, and realise that they are wide of the mark in their perception of Lewis' fanbase.

As this is an English language website I would suggest a large majority of those voting are English. 137 votes at the time of writing and Lewis has just 9% of the vote.

I too am English, and my favourite driver is Fernando Alonso.

There, I said it.

#24 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:03

Originally posted by secessionman
I'm not sure how many votes had been cast by the time the other drivers were added but it's fair to say that the four drivers at the top of the list gained a few votes as a result of the limited options earlier.

ITV (and BBC aswell for that matter) should see this poll, and realise that they are wide of the mark in their perception of Lewis' fanbase.

As this is an English language website I would suggest a large majority of those voting are English. 137 votes at the time of writing and Lewis has just 9% of the vote.

I too am English, and my favourite driver is Fernando Alonso.

There, I said it.

Not really, because the people on this forum are mostly hardcore f1 fans. The fanbase that ITV and BBC will be pandering to is the masses of people who only started watching f1 when the name Lewis started to turn up in the daily sun.

#25 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,716 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:10

At the Australian GP earlier this year, I spent many hours at the autograph hunters fence outside the paddock club entrance on the thursday. Drivers would arrive, walk over to the fence, spend a while signing autographs and then go into the paddock club.
I've done this a few times now, so the crowd reaction when Kimi arrived was something special. Welcomed like I'd never seen anyone welcomed before. He obviously has to be the most popular driver.
Then Lewis arrived.
It was unbelievable.
The crowd of people trying to get to him was HUGE. Chanting his name, yelling for him to sign an autograph.
Security guards were having a very difficult time with crowd control.
At the end of it, when he'd gone, I knew that he was by far the most popular. The crowd had voted.

#26 Owen

Owen

• 10,274 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:19

Who is the most popular top driver? Very difficult to say. The most popular one here seems to be Kimi. If you include more casual fans rather than the hardcore F1 savvy fans you get here, then the result could be different. If China or India field a half decent driver, it will surely be that driver.

#27 djellison

djellison

• 1,725 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:22

With people already admitting they've confused the subject and the poll question (voting for who they think is popular, not who their favorite is) - this poll doesn't count for much I'm afraid. It would make sense to reset and start again, clearly stating, with consistency, what the question actually is, in both the subject of the thread and the poll.

Doug

#28 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:01

I like Seb V a lot, he's great. Massa is cool, I'm also going to miss DC. Quick Nick is a nice chap, maybe he's too nice for F1. Hamilton is okay, just a bit immature, Kimi is far too boring but probably the best guy to go out with for a few drinks. Alonso needs a wash and shave. How anyone can like him is beyond me, total pillock in my eyes. Kubica is cool but has started shooting his mouth off recently and he should keep it shut. Rubens is a past love, like an old flame, once was everything but now you just kinda look back at the good old days. Webber and Bourdias both need to go to the fair and drive dodgems, they might entertain people a bit more, they might also win a few races against the five year olds. Trulli is great, the perfect guy to have a nice bit of pasta and wonderful glass of red wine with. Fisi could join later and drive us home. Sutil and Glock, too soon to judge them but both seem like nice fellas.

I can guess at who the most popular driver is going to be easily. It will be one of Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton and Kubica. Probably Alonso although a few more years in the wilderness and he'll end up like JV. So Kimi or Kubica simply because neither smell too bad and both can drive pretty quick.

#29 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,883 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:29

Atlas forum is certainly not a typical cross section of ITV's audience.

#30 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:34

Tim O'Glock - 0 votes. Poor guy :cry:

#31 Owen

Owen

• 10,274 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:34

Originally posted by Buttoneer

:up: Spot on. Do all ITV viewers regularly use this forum? Certainly not. Don't forget the 'casual' f1 fans.

#32 secessionman

secessionman

• 160 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:37

Originally posted by Buttoneer

I'm not suggesting for a second that it is, but I think 8.8% of the vote is much less than they would expect. It's a hell of a lot less than I personally would have expected, and being outvoted almost 2-1 by Alonso is surprising.

#33 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,883 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:48

I'm not suggesting for a second that it is, but I think 8.8% of the vote is much less than they would expect.

Maybe, but the only audience they are interested in is the UK one, so the results here would be irrelevant to them anyway.

#34 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:54

On a global scale I would assume drivers like Massa and Alonso are far more popular than Lewis at the moment. At least here in the States and Canada the Lewis/Mclaren profile is very low key.

#35 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:06

wow interesting results so far

#36 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:08

Judging by the results so far, the most popular pairing would be a Fernando/Kimi pairing at Ferrari.

#37 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:08

Originally posted by Owen

:up: Spot on. Do all ITV viewers regularly use this forum? Certainly not. Don't forget the 'casual' f1 fans.

out of everyone i know, none of them support lewis, that includes casual viewers like friends, friends parents, work colleagues etc

#38 Owen

Owen

• 10,274 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:24

Originally posted by Hacklerf

out of everyone i know, none of them support lewis, that includes casual viewers like friends, friends parents, work colleagues etc

Anecdotal evidence is not really going to cut it though, some kind of wide ranging survey would need to be done surely. It's an interesting question, who is most popular? but I'm not sure it's worthy of an in depth survey to be honest.

#39 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:40

Originally posted by Hacklerf

And I could name 15 friends of mine who now watch F1, soley because of Lewis Mania, but as Owen suggests Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

Advertisement

#40 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:56

I only have 1 friend that watches F1, and he supports Alonso. Mind you, he is Spanish. :D

#41 Rabbit123

Rabbit123

• 255 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:38

Vettel :clap: :up:

#42 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:47

I have to give it up to Massa.. Two years ago he would probably be on the bottom end of this list..
Rosberg 2 votes? I thought he would be more popular than that..

#43 Mat Rempit

Mat Rempit

• 176 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:52

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bumper
Originally posted by kar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this Post to Hosts

Youichi [QUOTE]Originally posted by kar [...] 30-Jun-08 10:46 18

Youichi 30-Jun-08 10:46 18

Since: Jan 2004

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by kar

Or the Thread title has a specific question, and the poll is misleading ?

I voted for who I though the most popular top driver is, not who my favourite is, as the thread title asked.

I'd say the 3 most popular drivers are Alonso/Hamilton/Kimi, but Alonso/Hamilton are also the most disliked, so Kimi wins easily.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/QUOTE]

Oh no oh no...after reading all these comments and alot other comments, I just realized I made a big screw up and confusion to all voters.
I just woke up in the morning and was submitting this new thread and polls while I was inside my toilet in the morning still dizzy and sleepy after watching the Euro 2008 finals. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :stoned: :stoned:
But nevertheless,..I thanks all of you for your participation.

See if it is clearer now after my explanations -
the thread is most popular...
the poll is vote your favourite driver....

So after you pick your favourite driver,...then when I check the result,...then I can know who is the most popular driver (thus the thread title).....

So is it much clearer now???? :D :D :D

#44 pRy

pRy

• 10,716 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:53

I voted for the only guy still on 0 votes. Not sure who it was now. I felt sorry for him.

I can't warm to any of the current group. I really did try to find someone in the list.

Count me as having voted for "Mika & Michael".

#45 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 817 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:59

Predictable results.

The most popular guy is usually the less disliked one, and that has to be Räikkönen. We have Alonso-haters, Hamilton-haters, even Massa-haters, and soon we'll have Kubica-haters, but there are very very few Kimi-haters, because the guy just doesn't make headlines, doesn't open his mouth...

#46 LB

LB

• 12,296 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:17

Kimi would be high for another reason - he drives the percieved leading red car. A LOT of F1 fans are Ferrari fans full stop and support whoever is in that seat.

I voted DC as usual though I also like Heidfeld and Kimi and have for years

#47 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,597 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:19

Originally posted by Ferrim
The most popular guy is usually the less disliked one,

Yep! That's the way of these things. ;)

#48 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:30

I voted Kimi but I don't particularly feel much more strongly about him rather than Felipe.

#49 Coral

Coral

• 2,556 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:48

I voted Lewis. F1 has been so much more exciting since he joined it!

#50 vitivati

vitivati

• 73 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 18:48

Originally posted by FrankB

Yep! That's the way of these things. ;)

:lol: