Photo

Who is the most popular top driver? (All Drivers now listed)

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the most popular top driver? (All Drivers now listed) (497 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Fernando Alonso (79 votes [15.90%])

Percentage of vote: 15.90%

2. Lewis Hamilton (51 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

3. Kimi Raikkonen (154 votes [30.99%])

Percentage of vote: 30.99%

4. Felipe Massa (37 votes [7.44%])

Percentage of vote: 7.44%

5. Robert Kubica (57 votes [11.47%])

Percentage of vote: 11.47%

6. Nick Heidfeld (7 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

7. Heikki Kovalainen (13 votes [2.62%])

Percentage of vote: 2.62%

8. Nico Rosberg (8 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

9. Jarno Trulli (10 votes [2.01%])

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

10. Mark Webber (28 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

11. Sebastian Vettel (9 votes [1.81%])

Percentage of vote: 1.81%

12. Jenson Button (9 votes [1.81%])

Percentage of vote: 1.81%

13. David Coulthard (10 votes [2.01%])

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

14. Rubens Barrichello (5 votes [1.01%])

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

15. Adrian Sutil (2 votes [0.40%])

Percentage of vote: 0.40%

16. Kazuki Nakijima (3 votes [0.60%])

Percentage of vote: 0.60%

17. Timo Glock (1 votes [0.20%])

Percentage of vote: 0.20%

18. Nelson Piquet Jr (4 votes [0.80%])

Percentage of vote: 0.80%

19. Giancarlo Fisichella (6 votes [1.21%])

Percentage of vote: 1.21%

20. Sebastien Bourdais (4 votes [0.80%])

Percentage of vote: 0.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,723 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 20:08

Voted Bourdais because I don't want to be involved in the Lewis/Kimi/Alonso nonsense :lol:

Advertisement

#52 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 20:18

Kimi.

I am a big fan of Bourdais because of his CC connection, but have been a Kimi fan since his Sauber days.

#53 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,882 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 20:31

Where s the option for Michael Schumacher??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

#54 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 20:32

Originally posted by Dolph

Would agree, but I think he is saying current drivers. But Schuey would still beat all those young un's anyway.

#55 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:02

Originally posted by Dolph

Michael who?

#56 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:06

I followed Kimi from McLaren to Ferrari so i wont flip flop now for sure

#57 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:23

Originally posted by Mat Rempit

Oh no oh no...after reading all these comments and alot other comments, I just realized I made a big screw up and confusion to all voters.
I just woke up in the morning and was submitting this new thread and polls while I was inside my toilet in the morning still dizzy and sleepy after watching the Euro 2008 finals. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :stoned: :stoned:
But nevertheless,..I thanks all of you for your participation.

See if it is clearer now after my explanations -
the thread is most popular...
the poll is vote your favourite driver....

So after you pick your favourite driver,...then when I check the result,...then I can know who is the most popular driver (thus the thread title).....

So is it much clearer now???? :D :D :D

Good to see you cleared that up after about 90% of the forum already voted. This poll should be deleted and someone over the age of 12 who speaks english should start a new one.

#58 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,600 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:26

Originally posted by Josta

Michael who?

Ralf's brother. He's a former racing driver too.

#59 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:28

Alonso.
I don't always like what he does or says, but still I always find myself supporting him.
He has the guts to say things that many drivers don't dare to say and he's a fighter in the car.

Advertisement

#60 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:55

Originally posted by Josta

Michael who?

7 times world champion that's who... :-)

#61 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,313 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 22:11

Lewis. Not because of his personality but because he's a great british driver and im a shallow nationalist and not ashamed :stoned:

#62 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 22:24

Originally posted by kar

7 times world champion that's who... :-)

Would that be the guy that got beaten in at least 1 of his last 2 years by both the world champions that are driving in F1? I think I vaguely remember the guy. Wasn't he Italian? So far as I remember, his parking skills would definitely make him Italian. :)

#63 monaco

monaco

• 161 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 00:49

Who brought attention more than anybody else to an erstwhile European sport to become one of worldwide interest ( coinciding with the start of the worldwide telecasts) -- that Michael-who :clap:

#64 Menace

Menace

• 12,298 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:03

Originally posted by kamix

Good to see you cleared that up after about 90% of the forum already voted. This poll should be deleted and someone over the age of 12 who speaks english should start a new one.

When that was cleared up no more then 30-40 votes were casted on Kimi. Currently he has over 110? This really should be no surprise, considering he also won the F1.com popularity contest as well as numerous ones on this BB before.

Creating a new poll won't change the overall results of the "winner", but it might mix things up. From the looks of things, only a handfull of people have admitted voting wrong. I knew what was ment by the poll from the get-go. It was a popularity contest, and I expect most voted for their favourite even if they understood the question slightly wrong. :)

#65 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:28

Originally posted by Buttoneer
Atlas forum is certainly not a typical cross section of ITV's audience.

Most of the messages on here http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A36198543 are asking for more a more balanced programme. So these will be estabilshed F1 fans and not those who are just Lewis fans. But I suppose ITV/BBC think that fans of Lewis will be the established F1 fans of the future.

Someone on the ITV message site was asking where the Andrew Benson blog was & I posted the link. My post was 'moderated' & the reason my post wasn't allowed was emailed to me.

Your itv.com forum post was deleted by itvmod.

Subject: Re: ITV bias

For users' safety, posts are moderated and are declined for a number of reasons.

Please be aware of the following submission guidelines:
- only use English
- ensure posts make sense and are easy to understand
- posts must relate to the relevant thread
- comments should not be considered offensive to any group or individual.

For more information please visit the ITV Forum Help section.

Pleasereturn to itv.com to re-submit a post.

All the best
ITV Support Team

It must have come into the cateogory "comments should not be considered offensive to any group or individual" i.e. offensive to ITV.

#66 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,600 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:49

Originally posted by F1Annie
But I suppose ITV/BBC think that fans of Lewis will be the established F1 fans of the future.

I think this is the truth of it. It happened last in the UK with Mansellmania which is why I started watching F1 in support of him and then Williams more generally. It was true in Germany of Michael Schumacher and it is true in Spain of Fernando Alonso. It would be foolish to think the same won't be true of Lewis Hamilton who is already somewhat of a household name here in the UK.

#67 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:59

Originally posted by Buttoneer
I think this is the truth of it. It happened last in the UK with Mansellmania which is why I started watching F1 in support of him and then Williams more generally. It was true in Germany of Michael Schumacher and it is true in Spain of Fernando Alonso. It would be foolish to think the same won't be true of Lewis Hamilton who is already somewhat of a household name here in the UK.

Same with me. I started watching F1 in 1986 when I was 10 years old just because of Nige. It all seemed so much more intense back then, I remember actually praying that Piquet would have a fatal accident. All rather embarrasing now. :blush:

#68 osoul

osoul

• 61 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:31

And why Raikkonen is so popular?

#69 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:36

Originally posted by osoul

His bubbly personality.

#70 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 1,947 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:42

Because he does bloke things silly! He gets pissed, gets his todger out and waves it about for a larf and he likes driving cars fast... :D

#71 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:43

Well both the wdc's are at the top, so that probably helps. But also he's a completely fair driver who hardly ever complains, very very fast, and his own man with his own priorities which I think people respect. Yes it would be nice if he said a bit more and smiled that brilliant smile a bit more, but no-one's perfect. Classy driver, classy guy.

#72 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,359 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:52

For me, for casual fans (one's that don't know what an anti roll bar or damper is), like the average fan off the street it's clearly Lewis. For more serious fans, which I think this BB represents well.. it's Kimi. This poll shows well why people are always complaining about getting into arguements with Kimi fans.

Btw there was a time in 05/06 where Fisi was in Massa's position. How things change. :p

#73 yr

yr

• 5,964 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:04

He doesn´t whine, he doesn´t have dozens of excuses when he doesn´t win, he isn´t arrogant or full of himself, he´s just regular guy who hasn´t change a bit after he got some money and success, he never use dirty tactics on or off track, he is damn good racer.

Those are the main reasons I think.

#74 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:06

after michael left, i supported the "red cars", and kimi maybe a little more
this year i would like felipe to win it though. i voted for him

#75 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:21

Originally posted by Ferrim
Predictable results.

The most popular guy is usually the less disliked one, and that has to be Räikkönen. We have Alonso-haters, Hamilton-haters, even Massa-haters, and soon we'll have Kubica-haters, but there are very very few Kimi-haters, because the guy just doesn't make headlines, doesn't open his mouth...

Schumacher was the most popular and the most disliked driver at the same time. The same about Senna.

I guess what you say is true in the periods when there is no real superstar.

#76 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:46

I'm surprised, I thought Lewis would win...
That's actually funny because Kimi could not care less about his public image.

Bernie once said that Kimi is not his favourite for a champion, he is dull, etc...and does not help F1 to become more popular. :lol:

#77 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:48

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing
after michael left, i supported the "red cars", and kimi maybe a little more
this year i would like felipe to win it though. i voted for him

I feel the same way but I voted for Kimi. I like his irreverence.

#78 Owen

Owen

• 10,500 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:02

Originally posted by kar

I feel the same way but I voted for Kimi. I like his irreverence.

and the possibly the red car he's driving? :confused:

#79 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:06

Originally posted by Owen

and the possibly the red car he's driving? :confused:

I liked him at McLaren even, but I was agreeing with Mike in that since Michael retired my favourite driver is whoever is driving a Ferrari but my preference is slightly for Kimi (because of his irreverence).

Advertisement

#80 Owen

Owen

• 10,500 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:16

Originally posted by kar

I liked him at McLaren even, but I was agreeing with Mike in that since Michael retired my favourite driver is whoever is driving a Ferrari but my preference is slightly for Kimi (because of his irreverence).

Fair enough. Out of Massa and Kimi, I would cheer for Kimi too. Doesn't take himself too seriously. A nice quality.

#81 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:50

Originally posted by yr
I think Kimi will win this poll, simply because he is best driver of current bunch and best one usually gets most followers. ;)

Being a Ferrari driver will boost his numbers as well.

#82 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,174 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:53

I voted for Massa. Like some said above I too supported Schuey and after he retired I stuck with Ferrari, although I like Massa's personality more than Kimi's. Some like Kimi's apparent indifference, but that's exactly the reason why I can't grow to like him. What is so "cool" in acting indifferent? I never got it. We are people, we have feelings. If we don't show them maybe we are not totally honest...

BTW, it's funny that based on this poll Kimi is by far the most popular one. Some weeks ago we had a poll on what would people feel if Kimi retired and the most said they wouldn't care.

#83 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:53

Originally posted by Youichi

I'd say the 3 most popular drivers are Alonso/Hamilton/Kimi, but Alonso/Hamilton are also the most disliked, so Kimi wins easily.

It doesn't matter how many people dislike a driver because there are no negative votes. People only vote for whom they like.

#84 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:21

Originally posted by HSJ

It doesn't matter how many people dislike a driver because there are no negative votes. People only vote for whom they like.

What if they don;t particularly like any, but actively dislike one? Can they vote for everyone else?

#85 yr

yr

• 5,964 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:47

Originally posted by Lifew12

What if they don;t particularly like any, but actively dislike one? Can they vote for everyone else?

And they all vote Kimi. :confused:

#86 Panch

Panch

• 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 15:40

Because he is still a regular guy who doesnt moan and make any excuses when something goes wrong.

BTW, here you can read people´s reaction when he acrossed the finish line in Brazil:

http://forums.autosp...=&pagenumber=21

#87 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 15:47

Originally posted by Galko877
This poll Kimi is by far the most popular one. Some weeks ago we had a poll on what would people feel if Kimi retired and the most said they wouldn't care.

That's probably the most telling thing isn't it? A lot of people like Kimi, but I wonder how many 'love' Kimi?

I guess that's the point, Kimi is just chilled low key and not terribly polarising. Not a bad thing really but while he's probably my favourite driver I can't see myself getting all depressed if he retires. Certainly not like the trauma of Michael's retirement :)

#88 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 15:58

Originally posted by kar

That's probably the most telling thing isn't it? A lot of people like Kimi, but I wonder how many 'love' Kimi?

I guess that's the point, Kimi is just chilled low key and not terribly polarising. Not a bad thing really but while he's probably my favourite driver I can't see myself getting all depressed if he retires. Certainly not like the trauma of Michael's retirement :)

Your feelings may differ if Kimi gets 7 championships under his belt. I think Kimi is much more likeable than Schumacher. Your Trauma is my joy ;)

#89 Jacquesback

Jacquesback

• 1,678 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 16:01

Originally posted by Panch

Because he is still a regular guy who doesnt moan and make any excuses when something goes wrong.

BTW, here you can read people´s reaction when he acrossed the finish line in Brazil:

http://forums.autosp...=&pagenumber=21

Kimi is popular because he is the #1 driver for Ferrari. If Anthony Davidson was the #1 driver for Ferrari he would be the most popular. This is the way it is and has been in F1 for a very long time.

#90 kismet

kismet

• 7,007 posts

In all honesty, I'd be somewhat surprised - and morewhat worried/scared - if a "What would you think if random driver X decided to retire?" type of poll resulted in anything other than "I wouldn't really care" being the most popular choice, regardless of the identity of X. It's pretty much the default option when talking about someone leaving the sport out of his own free will, isn't it?

#91 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,754 posts

Originally posted by SlateGray

Your feelings may differ if Kimi gets 7 championships under his belt. I think Kimi is much more likeable than Schumacher. Your Trauma is my joy ;)

you could be much more likeabale than both...it would be a lot different if you get 7 championships under the belt, but you won't..
neither will kimi

#92 yr

yr

• 5,964 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 17:10

Originally posted by Jacquesback

Kimi is popular because he is the #1 driver for Ferrari. If Anthony Davidson was the #1 driver for Ferrari he would be the most popular. This is the way it is and has been in F1 for a very long time.

Anthony Davidson is not good enough to be Ferrari driver, let alone #1 driver there, so let´s skip that argument shall we?

OTOH if Lewis or Fernando was driving Ferrari, you would read continuously from PC transcript things like: "I was about to win the race but team let me down because they didn´t make sure reliability is there. I rock but my exhaust suck...." etc and not so unsuprisingly you would find that they wouldn´t lead any of these "who-is-your-fav" polls.

#93 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 17:20

Sixth place, just behind the star drivers FA, LH, KR, FM and RK: This poll result is a huge compliment for Mark Webber. :up:

The man who jumped into a new team and dominated his established teammate from day 1. And this despite the well-known and enormous adaption troubles of modern Formula One.

#94 speedy

speedy

• 1,766 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:21

Originally posted by giacomo
Sixth place, just behind the star drivers FA, LH, KR, FM and RK: This poll result is a huge compliment for Mark Webber. :up:

The man who jumped into a new team and dominated his established teammate from day 1. And this despite the well-known and enormous adaption troubles of modern Formula One.

Or it shows that there are at east 24 Aussies on this forum ;) - naah, seriously, MW is a decent man and deserves to be even higher.

#95 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,922 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:09

What a bunch of glory hunters you lot are!

#96 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,288 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:16

^ given the number of people who seem eager enough to support someone like Man Ure without ever having been to Britain, let alone Manchester, that's not wrong.

I'm still confused. Do you have to vote for your favourite or the one that you think most people like?

#97 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,306 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:30

i reckon the rankings at this point in time (rather than the points tally) are a good reflection of how the drivers are rated by fans, mostly irrespective of what cars they drive:

KR and FA are on the front row

LH and RK are neck-and-neck behind them and might overtake

FM is good enough but ... maybe MW would do a better job with the same car?

HK is doing alright, kinda; JT is happy again and showing it

we haven't written off JB and we know he's driving a dog but he hasn't eclipsed DC as some might have expected

NH and NR are clinging onto respectability by their fingernails

SV is the future, RB is the past

GF is a waste of talent while time is running out for NP

AS and KN are having a go and ... timo who?

#98 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:19

Originally posted by repcobrabham
i reckon the rankings at this point in time (rather than the points tally) are a good reflection of how the drivers are rated by fans, mostly irrespective of what cars they drive:

How drivers are rated and what cars they drive always goes hand to hand.

#99 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:24

Originally posted by ensign14
^ given the number of people who seem eager enough to support someone like Man Ure without ever having been to Britain, let alone Manchester, that's not wrong.

I'm still confused. Do you have to vote for your favourite or the one that you think most people like?

I those people had been to Manchester, they'd surely support someone else.....

Advertisement

#100 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:26

Originally posted by Lifew12

I those people had been to Manchester, they'd surely support someone else.....

:lol: